Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

GOSKINS_08

My wife has an iPhone 5 and I have an S3.

Get the S3. It basically what the iPhone 6 probably will be. Apple is lagging way behind in smartphones at this point. And I'm not an apple hater (typed on my iPad).

Edit- try them both out in the store to get a feel for them. The only reason my wife got the iPhone was that the s3 was too wide for her hand to easily navigate.

I personally prefer Android so I'm sporting the S3. Zero issues with my Galaxy. I use my phone to listen to music on the Metro and the only gripe I have is that I haven't found a solution to go to a previous track when listening to music using any headphone controls.

My advice: You'll probably be happy with either but, if you already have an iPod or iPad, might as well go the iPhone route to match. If you're geeky, go Galaxy since you can tweak damn near everything on that phone.

Also, if you plan on linking your phone up to your work email, I know a TON of people have been complaining about iOS 6 and getting it working with an Exchange server. We're still trying to sort things out.

It all depends on what kind of ecosystem you want to be on. I personally ahve everything on the Apple ecosystem and love my Iphone 5, its super fast, thin and light. The GS3 though is a very good phone and a formidable competitor. You still ahve some fewer apps on Andriod and frankly is still not as polished in certain aspects as IOS.

I feel the build quality on the Iphone is a lot nicer and doesn't feel as "plasticy:.

And lastly this is a big for me - IOS is simply more secure than Andriod - Ask FBI, Mcafee and a host of othe firm though Andriod has made big stride in this aspect.

So try them both out and see which you prefer.

I don't have small hands but the s3 in a case (and I will obliterate a phone without one) is just too damn big for me to carry around comfortably. I can barely fit that thing in my pocket. It's like a phone that desperately wants to be a tablet. I have not tried or even held an iPhone 5 so I can't really say anything about it.

I got the S3, and it's my first smartphone. I have nothing to compare it to, but I absolutely could not be happier (as I watch Parks and Rec on Netflix). I also have a sneaking suspicion that I've only uncovered the tip of the iceberg when it comes to its capabilities.

Both are awesome phones, but like Destino and others its just not comfortable to carry the S3 around in a pants pocket (unless you're wearing cargos all the time). Also I'm neck deep in the Apple ecosystem anyway so for me it was an easy choice.

Got the S3 for the wife and she just throws it in her handbag and goes. We're both pretty happy with them so far.

Get the S3. Its easily the best phone on the market and is way better than the iPhone 5.

Pros:

More memory

Bigger screen

Removable battery

NFC

SD card support

Better maps support (Google Maps kills Apple's maps)

Cons:

Can't really think of any, maybe the battery isn't as good as the iPhone 5

I always have the S3 in my pocket, whether it be jeans, dress pants, khaki shorts, or gym shorts and I never have a problem with it.

I don't have small hands but the s3 in a case (and I will obliterate a phone without one) is just too damn big for me to carry around comfortably. I can barely fit that thing in my pocket. It's like a phone that desperately wants to be a tablet. I have not tried or even held an iPhone 5 so I can't really say anything about it.

Yeah the SIII seems a bit big. Even compared to my Galaxy Nexus which has a bit smaller of a screen. I still think he should wait for the LG Nexus so he gets pure Android with no update delays.

It all depends on what kind of ecosystem you want to be on. I personally ahve everything on the Apple ecosystem and love my Iphone 5, its super fast, thin and light. The GS3 though is a very good phone and a formidable competitor. You still ahve some fewer apps on Andriod and frankly is still not as polished in certain aspects as IOS.

I feel the build quality on the Iphone is a lot nicer and doesn't feel as "plasticy:.

And lastly this is a big for me - IOS is simply more secure than Andriod - Ask FBI, Mcafee and a host of othe firm though Andriod has made big stride in this aspect.

So try them both out and see which you prefer.

I think this is spot on. I'm about to buy a new phone, but i'm looking at tablets too. I want all my music, movies, tv, and really all content i have to be as easily accessible from every piece of electronics i have.

I am looking at the iPhone, S3, and the new Razr Maxx HD based upon its battery life alone. At the same time though, I'm looking at the new iPad and the Galaxy Note 10.1 and other tablets.

In that regard, I may have to check out some windows 8 phones because the new surface tablet looks like a big step.

Yes. With so many platforms and so little control over what's developed there can be compatibility issues. Also as you mentioned earlier, update delays.

I think that's a problem for developers and for the android system overall, but it's not a problem if you're buying the top of the line android phone. The compatibility issues usually show up for people with older (several years ago) versions of the operating system, and for the bargain phones. Wouldn't be a problem with the S3.

Yes. With so many platforms and so little control over what's developed there can be compatibility issues. Also as you mentioned earlier, update delays.

Yeah it is a negative, but at this point, Google Play has 99.9% of the apps you could want that are available in the Apple App Store. Plus it's running ICS not Gingerbread where you'd have a serious compatibility issue. Not much of a con. Security yes, why Google of all companies lags behind in security is beyond me finally allowing ALSR in Android 4.0 but not real-world effective in protection until Jelly Bean.

The biggest con of the SIII is it still doesn't have Jelly Bean and won't get quick updates. I see huge downsides in not getting a Nexus device.

But apps and security you can work around easier, harder to work around having a much smaller screen, no NFC, no expandable storage, no removable battery and a garbage maps app that the company CEO apologizes for.

Yeah it is a negative, but at this point, Google Play has 99.9% of the apps you could want that are available in the Apple App Store. Plus it's running ICS not Gingerbread where you'd have a serious compatibility issue. Not much of a con. Security yes, why Google of all companies lags behind in security is beyond me finally allowing ALSR in Android 4.0 but not real-world effective in protection until Jelly Bean.

The biggest con of the SIII is it still doesn't have Jelly Bean and won't get quick updates. I see huge downsides in not getting a Nexus device.

But apps and security you can work around easier, harder to work around having a much smaller screen, no NFC, no expandable storage, no removable battery and a garbage maps app that the company CEO apologizes for.

I don't consider the compatibility thing a major issue but it exists and you're making that case nicely by pointing on the S3 does not have Jelly Bean. Well why the hell not?! ... and that's my point with Android devices, their are thousands of them and they all are slightly different in terms of what works with what. I don't think most people want to know or care what Jelly Bean is. They want to "update their phone" and leave it at that.

Personally I don't believe security is easy to work around not do I think having a giant screen is an advantage. Security is a big deal for a smart phone, especially when you consider how much of you is loaded into that thing.

Having said that the s3 is an awesome phone and I think it might be the most popular smart phone on the market. It has fairly large technical advantages over the iphone that no app can replace. If it were a tiny bit smaller I'd have one right now but I've decided to wait before buying a new phone.

I don't consider the compatibility thing a major issue but it exists and you're making that case nicely by pointing on the S3 does not have Jelly Bean. Well why the hell not?! ... and that's my point with Android devices, their are thousands of them and they all are slightly different in terms of what works with what. I don't think most people want to know or care what Jelly Bean is. They want to "update their phone" and leave it at that.

Personally I don't believe security is easy to work around not do I think having a giant screen is an advantage. Security is a big deal for a smart phone, especially when you consider how much of you is loaded into that thing.

It's an issue but with adequate security software and using your head on what you open on your phone, you will likely avoid data leaks whereas you obviously cannot change the hardware of the phone.. It all goes back to updates though. If all phones had Jelly Bean, security would be 10x less of an issue. The double-edged sword of the customizability/openness of Android at work.

Google is less to blame than the phone makers/carriers. Google tried to get all carriers to sign an agreement to release updates within a reasonable timeframe and they refused. It's probably mostly about gouging as much money as possible. As long as certain phones don't have new versions, people buy new phones instead of upgrading. The rest of it is incompetence. There is no reason these updates cannot come out quickly. To have some phones still on Gingerbread is ridiculous. That is Apple's biggest advantage in my opinion.

As for the screen: it's easier to tread and better to watch videos, there's an advantage there though for some it forces the phones to be a bit wide.

Archived