Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

GOSKINS_08

Get the S3. Its easily the best phone on the market and is way better than the iPhone 5.

Pros:

More memory

Bigger screen

Removable battery

NFC

SD card support

Better maps support (Google Maps kills Apple's maps)

Cons:

Can't really think of any, maybe the battery isn't as good as the iPhone 5

I always have the S3 in my pocket, whether it be jeans, dress pants, khaki shorts, or gym shorts and I never have a problem with it.

Android requires much more memory to run that IOS6 does so the advantages of extra memory aren't really a biggie. The real question with memory is which one is faster and that extra memory isn't making the S3 faster.

Having the ability to increase storage on the S3 is cool but when you have stuff automatically stored on Icloud it's not that much of an advantage. You don't need to store that much stuff on your phone.

Removable battery. I'll give you that. Being able to replace the battery or carry a spare if you live by phone is nice. The Apple battery should last as long as you'll want to keep the phone though.

Better maps. Hands down. Android has better maps.

Iphone 5. More durable. Built better.

Iphone 5. Security is better. Harder to write a virus since the app has to go through Apple before being available.

They are really close and I think the big thing would be how they feel to you when you use them. Both of them are good phones just different.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

The S3 isn't close to the size of a tablet. Not even small tablets. It's very easy to get used to.

The size criticism is way overblown.

Yeah, that's simply personal opinion but when I picked it up it was way too big for my liking. I don't watch movies on phones either so for a phone BIG isn't something that appeals to me. I simply want it to be big enough.

Having the ability to increase storage on the S3 is cool but when you have stuff automatically stored on Icloud it's not that much of an advantage. You don't need to store that much stuff on your phone.

I can't speak for the other items that you mention but I am coming from an andriod phone and I miss my expanded memory. One of the main reasons I switched over to apple was to utilize all of my apple products in the cloud. Well I don't like it. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to listen to a song (much less an entire playlist) but haven't previously downloaded the song on that device...which means that you have to download it from the cloud. Good luck if you have spotty internet.

I have cursed that freakn icloud so many times in the last 7 months. Terrible product.

Personally, I don't know much about the Galaxy, but I have heard the iphone 5 is great. I have to wait till april to go back to the iphone, but damn I cannot wait. I have had a droid phone for almost year and half it's the worst phone I have ever had. I had to buy 3 extra batteries just to get through one day at the office. I barely use the phone and the damn thing just kills my battery. I have tried all those battery saving apps and conifigurations it does not do anything. Maybe I have a lemon of a phone, but I spend more time trying to fix applications to get them to work properly, than actually using them. Not to mention the service reception on my phone is awful. Wife has an iphone and we consistently have to use her phone just to make calls. Personally, I understand the attraction with the customization of the droid, but to be honest I have had way more problems than I would like to deal with...

So my opinion would be to stick with the iPhone, coming from a guy who has used both operating systems extensively.

FYI I have the Nexus S 4G for Sprint.

Personally, I don't know much about the Galaxy, but I have heard the iphone 5 is great. I have to wait till april to go back to the iphone, but damn I cannot wait. I have had a droid phone for almost year and half it's the worst phone I have ever had. I had to buy 3 extra batteries just to get through one day at the office. I barely use the phone and the damn thing just kills my battery. I have tried all those battery saving apps and conifigurations it does not do anything. Maybe I have a lemon of a phone, but I spend more time trying to fix applications to get them to work properly, than actually using them. Not to mention the service reception on my phone is awful. Wife has an iphone and we consistently have to use her phone just to make calls. Personally, I understand the attraction with the customization of the droid, but to be honest I have had way more problems than I would like to deal with...

So my opinion would be to stick with the iPhone, coming from a guy who has used both operating systems extensively.

FYI I have the Nexus S 4G for Sprint.

The Nexus S 4G is an out of date phone, hardly a fair comparison to an iPhone 5. That's like claiming an HTC One X is better than an iPhone 3GS. Plus you probably have been on Gingerbread most of this time, right? When did you upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich?

I will definitely say until Ice Cream Sandwich, Android paled in comparison to iOS.

I just upgraded to the Iphone 4s. :)

I always stay one step back and get ridiculous deals on the previous generation.

---------- Post added October-23rd-2012 at 08:29 PM ----------

Random, but your sig is from the UT v Baylor game this saturday. I was there. She was on the big screen. Soooo hot. :)

Apple Stores are another big reason too have a iPhone, the support is great I cracked 2 phones my mother cracked one and another had various issues and for the most part they will replace your phone right there on the spot.

Yeah you can do that with just about any phone if you go to the carriers store. I've broken many phones or had problems and took my phone to Verizon to get fixed.

Yeah you can do that with just about any phone if you go to the carriers store. I've broken many phones or had problems and took my phone to Verizon to get fixed.

I've never had that experience especially with Verizon I've had a phone paid the crappy insurance and they gave me a hard time when it was time too replace it, which caused me too switch too AT&T and got a iPhone.

I've never had that experience especially with Verizon I've had a phone paid the crappy insurance and they gave me a hard time when it was time too replace it, which caused me too switch too AT&T and got a iPhone. I've had a iPhone for about 4 years never had insurance and haven't had a problem replacing my phone on the spot.

If your galaxy s3 breaks your most likely have too send it too samsung too get it fixed.

is that because you have insurance?

Yes and no. I've had success with and without insurance. I mean if it is a defect in my phone then they don't have a problem fixing it without insurance. But if it is something I actually did to the phone like drop and break it, then it's much easier to get fixed having the insurance.

I've never had that experience especially with Verizon I've had a phone paid the crappy insurance and they gave me a hard time when it was time too replace it, which caused me too switch too AT&T and got a iPhone. I've had a iPhone for about 4 years never had insurance and haven't had a problem replacing my phone on the spot.

If your galaxy s3 breaks your most likely have too send it too samsung too get it fixed.

My wife dropped her iPhone and broke the screen and someone got a hole in it, yes a hole lol. She had to have her phone sent away and Apple sent her a refurbished phone. So sometimes your iPhone will have to be shipped away to get fixed too. It just all depends what needs to be fixed. Or Verizon could just give me a new phone on the spot like has happened to me in the past.

Yes and no. I've had success with and without insurance. I mean if it is a defect in my phone then they don't have a problem fixing it without insurance. But if it is something I actually did to the phone like drop and break it, then it's much easier to get fixed having the insurance.

My wife dropped her iPhone and broke the screen and someone got a hole in it, yes a hole lol. She had to have her phone sent away and Apple sent her a refurbished phone. So sometimes your iPhone will have to be shipped away to get fixed too. It just all depends what needs to be fixed. Or Verizon could just give me a new phone on the spot like has happened to me in the past.

Was that by her request too have it sent out for fixing? Like she didn't have her phone backed up and wanted that same phone. They always tell me they can send it out or just give you a refurbished one (cracked screen) or new one (hardware failure).

My phone glass was cracked so bad you can see the insides.

The S3 isn't close to the size of a tablet. Not even small tablets. It's very easy to get used to.

The size criticism is way overblown.

I agree.

Never did want an iphone, but I do think it is a great little phone. Only understood the hype when it first came out. When I first got my Evo I thought is was huge and wasn't even sure I wanted it, now I wouldn't like anything smaller it's perfect. I know the S3 is a little larger but I have played with them and it seems to be a great size. A friend at work has the Note and that thing is huge, we make fun of him when he uses it as a phone. Almost want one as I have been using it here and there, but it's just a bit funky to use as a phone.

I had the SIII all of two days before I dropped it for the first time and it produced a nasty spiderweb crack on the side. Still quite usable (crack is hairline), but a big ugly. I dropped my previous phone literally hundreds of times without so much as a scratch on the screen... I think this new Gorilla Glass has a tendency to crack more than previous versions.

Also, the battery seems to lasts all of two days before I have to recharge it.

Was that by her request too have it sent out for fixing? Like she didn't have her phone backed up and wanted that same phone. They always tell me they can send it out or just give you a refurbished one (cracked screen) or new one (hardware failure).

My phone glass was cracked so bad you can see the insides.

They gave her a refurbished one. All her stuff was backed up.

Honestly, you should wait for the Nexus 4...which is expected to be announced on the 29th.

Having the SIII is an excellent phone, but being someone who routinely flashes and mods their phone...the Nexus line is the best and addresses the issue of framentation (You get all the latest updates)

I had the SIII all of two days before I dropped it for the first time and it produced a nasty spiderweb crack on the side. Still quite usable (crack is hairline), but a big ugly. I dropped my previous phone literally hundreds of times without so much as a scratch on the screen... I think this new Gorilla Glass has a tendency to crack more than previous versions.

Also, the battery seems to lasts all of two days before I have to recharge it.

How did you get that repaired? Or is it still there?

That's one complaint I had about thr iPhone 4 is the damn glass cracks way too easy, my 3Gs took plenty falls and ever a crack. iPhone 5 suppose too be a tank that uses the most updated gorilla glass and doesn't crack with normal falls

http://www.techlife.net/smartphones/news/2012/10/iphone-5-torture-test-roundup/

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 09:16 AM ----------

They gave her a refurbished one. All her stuff was backed up.

I find that hard too believe unless they was out of stock and that's really rare, even then could have went too another apple store and pick it up.

Archived