Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk Discussion Topic: What's the issue with our defense?

KDawg

Haslett is no better than Juan Castillo. Recent history can - and should - repeat itself; this time in Ashburn. Ron Lynn would be better than Haslett at this point.

Williams is trash as a safety. He doesn't play his responsibilities. He should be coming off the bench, or off public transportation en route to his post at the grill at Wendy's.

Is something wrong with Josh Wilson? He seemed slow to the ball yesterday. An unreported injury? I still think he is our best corner. Poor safety play can make corners look bad, and Wilson - though beaten a few times - got virtually no help from his safeties yesterday. Pathetic. Now I see why he was so pissed in the post-game a few weeks ago.

And this is such a damn shame, especially in light of the fantastic drive that RG III led at the end of the game to put us on top. Get Haslett out of here. Keeping him serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. If Lou Spanos was still on staff, I bet Haslett would be gone.

Hell with this. Rahem Morris is the secondary coach. He is producing players like Williams and Wilson who don't have the talent they need to execute effective plays designed to either stop or disrupt when needed. Especially on third down, its pathetic. All is flawed and if anything he should be held accountable for this piss crap of a mess. And Haslett of course but im looking at Morris right now. This defense will be our undoing earlier then later this season if nothing changes. RG3 and the offense deserve better.

That last play, it looks like Haslett called the right play, it's the play of Wilson and Williams not executing.

That my thinking as well but its hard to really know without understanding what the actual call was. If Williams was supposed to be over the top on that play I have no idea what on earth he was doing and if he did blow the coverage so badly I would be surprised if he was still starting next week. The Steelers offense is all about their passing game and Big Ben extending pays and getting chunk yards from Brown and Wallace - its going to be another long day for our secondary of we dont at least all get on the right page in terms of assignments.

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 07:34 AM ----------

Hell with this. Rahem Morris is the secondary coach. He is producing players like Williams and Wilson who don't have the talent they need to execute effective plays designed to either stop or disrupt when needed. Especially on third down, its pathetic. All is flawed and if anything he should be held accountable for this piss crap of a mess. And Haslett of course but im looking at Morris right now. This defense will be our undoing earlier then later this season if nothing changes. RG3 and the offense deserve better.

Morris is not producing the players - he is coaching what he has which is not that much! However if we have assignment mix ups or blown coverages it is on Morris to get that cleaned up. At a minimum you want your players to carry out their assignment even if the talent level is not ideal.

Merriweather, Jackson, Orakpo and Carriker makes this defense look a LOT different.

That $18 million bought the Giants win yesterday.

There has to be a serious doubt about the first two man. One we can't get on the field. And coming off this injury, and his age, that doesn't look promising going forward. The other might well not ever play this game again for any team.

Hail.

There has to be a serious doubt about the first two man. One we can't get on the field. And coming off this injury, and his age, that doesn't look promising going forward. The other might well not ever play this game again for any team.

Hail.

I agree, I was just saying it's a different defense with those four guys on the field and the first two may not even of been our first choice if we had the money.

Morris would end up most likely taking over the defense if Haslett is indeed fired. Do people really want to put the guy in charge of our secondary in charge of our entire defense? Seriously???

For now, perhaps. But he wouldn't be the long term answer. I think at this point, until we can get another guy (It's too early in the season still for Spanos, Steelers assistants are still obviously coaching, etc.) we have to keep Haslett in there. Unfortunately. But then again, what's the difference between him and Morris? Neither has been successful thus far. :ols:

Morris would end up most likely taking over the defense if Haslett is indeed fired. Do people really want to put the guy in charge of our secondary in charge of our entire defense? Seriously???

You know, I have him pegged as our DC in waiting. But it's hard to argue with that at all.

He's as culpable as the DC when his guys are so fundamentally lacking on so many occasions.

Hail.

That last play, it looks like Haslett called the right play, it's the play of Wilson and Williams not executing.

Which is back on coaching just as much as it is on them. Piss poor execution and piss poor coaching. And I'm not sure calling a "double" team is ever a good move. It leaves another guy on an island. I'd rather play 2-man under or 3-man under.

Hell with this. Rahem Morris is the secondary coach..

Sure. Blame him, too. I'm fine with that :)

I agree, I was just saying it's a different defense with those four guys on the field and the first two may not even of been our first choice if we had the money.

Ahh, sorry for the misunderstanding blue man. My bad for reading too fast.

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 06:52 AM ----------

You know, I have him pegged as our DC in waiting. But it's hard to argue with that at all.

He's as culpable as the DC when his guys are so fundamentally lacking on so many occasions.

Hail.

Which is back on coaching just as much as it is on them. Piss poor execution and piss poor coaching. And I'm not sure calling a "double" team is ever a good move. It leaves another guy on an island. I'd rather play 2-man under or 3-man under.
Not sure how you can say the bomb to Cruz was on piss poor coaching? Without knowing the playcall we can't assume it wasn't 2-man which plenty of people consider/refer to 2-man as "doubling" the deep receivers. From the look of the play and the situation it sure looks like it was supposed to be 2-man.

Mike Shanahan might feel the need to be patient with Haslett because --

-- NFL Head Coaches who control offense or defense have a history of scape-goating the guy on the other side of the ball;

-- Shanahan earned a reputation in Denver as being one of the worst offenders at this practice;

-- Haslett was the best he could find in 2010;

-- I'm sure Mike would like to change his reputation for running through coordinators.

Not sure how you can say the bomb to Cruz was on piss poor coaching? Without knowing the playcall we can't assume it wasn't 2-man which plenty of people consider/refer to 2-man as "doubling" the deep receivers. From the look of the play and the situation it sure looks like it was supposed to be 2-man.

Coaching isn't just play calls, dg. It's making sure your defenders execute the gameplan. It's making sure technique is good enough to get the job done.

I never refer to 2-man as doubling. a deep safety can't concentrate on one receiver, he has to be the deepest man on the field. Let no one behind you. Williams let someone behind him. That's definitely on him, and given the poor execution from the entire coverage unit for the first part of this season, that lends itself to be a coaching issue as well. Lack of talent and poor coaching is killing us.

Had the sample size of bad plays been just that, I'd agree, that's not necessarily coaching. But it's an ongoing issue.

It's pretty simple. The secondary is bad. The players we have starting would be back up on any other team. It's a lack of talent issue, period.

The run defense is fine -- pass rush could be better, but injuries have compounded that.

That's it.

Trying to read that right dg so I don't misunderstand.

Are you suggesting if a coach dials up the right play, and the players fail to execute, that he's absolved of any blame for it going wrong? I mean forget the fact he supposedly teaches them fundamental technique and prepares them mentally to be in the right positions. He called the right play so he's done his part?

---------- Post added October-22nd-2012 at 07:22 AM ----------

.....Lack of talent and poor coaching is killing us.,,,,

And I don't know how we improve one to have any significant impact on the other any time soon.

We can upgrade the coaching side. But without the ammo to get the top class caliber of game changing starter (which is what is needed IMHO, not just slightly better upgrades), better coaching/ game planning is only gona' mask so much and take you so far.

Hail.

The biggest problem on defense is obviously a lack of talent. Front 7 is solid if unspectacular, the safeties are a joke in coverage. Hindsight being 20/20 now knowing just how crazy rg3 makes everyone around him better, we would have been better served acquiring serviceable safeties over marginally better weapons on offense.

It's pretty simple. The secondary is bad. The players we have starting would be back up on any other team. It's a lack of talent issue, period.

The run defense is fine -- pass rush could be better, but injuries have compounded that.

That's it.

I agree... coverage is a huge problem. Skins have been able to stop the run even with the huge weakness in the secondary. And in reference to the pass rush, I'll go so far as to say that because the secondary has problems, the Skins have been having to use more people in coverage, allowing us to only rush 4 or sometimes only 3. Then you allow a guy like Eli to sit back there and pick you apart.

Considering we turned the ball over FIVE times I think the defense played well yesterday. Unfortunately, the secondary had a major brain fart and one play over-shadowed everything. Sigh.

BTW. Can we put Slowick back to secondary coach. Morris is coaching himself out of the league now.

I agree... coverage is a huge problem. Skins have been able to stop the run even with the huge weakness in the secondary. And in reference to the pass rush, I'll go so far as to say that because the secondary has problems, the Skins have been having to use more people in coverage, allowing us to only rush 4 or sometimes only 3. Then you allow a guy like Eli to sit back there and pick you apart.

Our talent is lacking. I've been saying that. I know LL56 will disagree there, but it's plain as day. Our best safety currently is Reed Doughty. And it's not close.

DeAngelo Hall is mediocre at best in coverage. His best utilization is to be used as a playmaker. Think Charles Woodson. He's not Woodson, but he's a talented player. Woodson is much better from a coverage standpoint, but I think Hall can blitz effectively and make plays extremely effectively.

Josh Wilson is a decent enough cover guy, but even he looks lost out there sometimes this year. You can almost see that the coverage unit has no confidence in each other.

Rob Jackson is our best cover outside backer, I will give him that much. He gets to his responsibility and he has pretty good hands. Good instincts as well. But he's really only effective as a flat defender. I wouldn't look for him to be a world beater in the hook/curl zone.

It's scary.

That said, as a coach, your job is to tell the deep defender that nothing is to get behind them. I'm not sure what Williams was doing, but he looked like he froze like a deer in headlights and Cruz ran right by him. That kind of thing has happened entirely too often this year for coaching not to be called into question.

Archived