Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk Discussion Topic: What's the issue with our defense?

KDawg

But is firing Haslett likely to make it any better? Nobody else on the staff is worth promoting to the role, even on an interim basis.

We need outside hires and we need to bring in outside player personnel. We've got to spend free agent dollars here for some immediate improvement.

Agreed. Unless Mike Shanahan can do much better in selecting a D coordinator than he has in the past, we might just as well keep Haz.

I thank the OP for his thoughts but to compare Jim Hasletts defense with Dick LeBeau's is an insult to Dick LeBeau. I don't want to settle for OK anymore from this joke of a team. We address the one thing we were lacking in having a good team but we neglect the secondary. We let Carlos Rogers go but replace him with a guy that can't cover a dish in DeAngelo Hall. He has made more mistakes than big plays. We go out and get two WR's in FA and they have done nothing except get hurt, drop balls, lose their cool and contribute very little. We change from the 4-3 top ten defense to a 3-4 bottom dwelling defense. So why is it that we changed defensive philosophies that had our defense in the top ten instead of just fixing the offense? This philosophy change was all in part of lack of turnovers and nothing else. Jim Haslett is never going to have a top ten defense for this team and is not even in the same class as Dick LeBeau. At least Dick LeBeau makes defense adjustments at halftime unlike Haslett who doesn't have a clue.

Is there actual evidence that haslett had no influence on his coaches, is it even standard protocol for a dc to hire their coaches, or do they work in concert with the hc and gm?

Or is just another piece of info only ll is privy too. Similar to that info he got that we are drafting Quinn, trading up for gabbert, drafting prince at 16, or that banks is gone?

lol what the hell are you making stuff up for.. I believe it has been widely reported Haz had no say in the hiring of his assistants. John Keim has frequently discussed it on the our podcast as well. Now go back to your regular hate and make believe BS.

---------- Post added October-29th-2012 at 04:47 AM ----------

-LL

Any word on FS Devin Holland?

Nothing right now bro..

How was the safety play in deep coverage?

There was a play early that I saw that was entirely on DHall coverage wise. Wish I wrote it down. I was very frustrated watching Hall yesterday. He's been okay for us overall coverage wise, but yesterday he looked like a mess.

I can't say much about the safety play persay, but our coverage was woeful. Ben was getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds.

But, we didn't have a pass rush at all, either. But when the quarterback was getting rid of the ball that fast, the pass rush doesn't even matter.

There was a play early that I saw that was entirely on DHall coverage wise. Wish I wrote it down. I was very frustrated watching Hall yesterday. He's been okay for us overall coverage wise, but yesterday he looked like a mess.

I can't say much about the safety play persay, but our coverage was woeful. Ben was getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds.

But, we didn't have a pass rush at all, either. But when the quarterback was getting rid of the ball that fast, the pass rush doesn't even matter.

I'm travelling and don't have access to the all 22 but my impression watching on TV was that we played quite a bit of soft zone and tried to keep everything in front of us. I guess you coud say that worked as we did not give up anything over the top but the Steelers did not NEED to take any deep shots as they were moving it at will with underneath passes and their running game.

We are saying the same thing game after game - sure we have talent issues but week in week out we are getting out coached as offenses shred our defensive game plan and we either fail to adjust or are one step behind during the game.

Archived