Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 Knockdowns, sacks, etc...?

Redskins Ruckus

Does anyone have the stats on how many times RG3 was sacked (twice?), knocked down, and otherwise hit? I think this will be the relative achilles heel of our stud rookie QB. I'm not suggesting anything other than concern. There was atleast one solid crack that he took and I would prefer to see less of that. Obviously, he handled himself beyond our expectations and I would love to see this continue.

don't have stats on RG3 but I heard that Vick was knocked down 18 times and completed 1-17 passess on those plays. THATS SICK. wow. I think Polin or Sheehan said it this a.m.

RG3 seems to be very in control when he runs especially on designed runs, it looks like he's running on tracks ... I'm not all that worried. I'm worried about getting hit while he's not running. He stands real tall in the pocket and he keeps his eyes WAY down field, I'm afraid that might let a Def player tee off on him.

I am not big on the designed runs for him. I'd rather just see him take off when everything breaks down (like an Aaron Rodgers). He is going to be taking enough hits when dropping back.

Not to mention the fact he was out front trying to block for Morris on one run! No point in taking unnecessary hits. I am sure the coaching staff will be addressing that one this week.

I am not big on the designed runs for him. I'd rather just see him take off when everything breaks down (like an Aaron Rodgers). He is going to be taking enough hits when dropping back.

Not to mention the fact he was out front trying to block for Morris on one run! No point in taking unnecessary hits. I am sure the coaching staff will be addressing that one this week.

I get your logic, but hear me out ...

On designed runs, he has blocking, he has the mindset that he's running, not passing, but just running, so he's ready to absorb hits.

when a play breaks down, he's looking downfield and I would think there's more potential to get popped. there are also defenders all around when a play breaks down, at least on designed runs he's keeping everyone in front of him.

I would rather him do a designed run over running during a broken play every time.

What are they going to do, send him to bed without supper? Jeez, it's football. Joe Theismann made a key block against the Giants in 1982 and lost 2 front teeth and stayed in the game. Griffin isn't a small guy. yes, you want to limit the number of hits your QB takes, but as has been proven in a thread earlier this year, QBs typically take more punishment IN the pocket than OUT. I like the designed runs. It's another element the defense has to deal with. Do you want to wrap him in bubble wrap?

I'm worried as we all should be but I really feel like some of that is part of his game. If you take away the QB runs, the defense will have one less thing to worry about. Now getting smacked in the pocket is my biggest concern. It almost looked like Robert knew some of the pocket hits were coming but purposely let it happen to buy time for the play to develop. I will agree most the hits I saw him take I was puckering it up hoping he'd be okay.

One thing that someone in the chat noticed but I didn't was that he was limping. We all know he has a cool guy strut so I disregarded it as just that. However, I went to saintsreport to nose and see what they thought of the game and there was a post up about how they thought Griffin had a pulled groin. They said they noticed the limp and after that, he quit doing the run plays and that's when they came back. I guess it became a little more predictable. Like I said, I didn't notice a limp but I did notice that they quit doing the run plays with him. I just thought that was because they didn't want him to keep getting hit.

What is you all's opinion on that?

I'm worried as we all should be but I really feel like some of that is part of his game. If you take away the QB runs, the defense will have one less thing to worry about. Now getting smacked in the pocket is my biggest concern. It almost looked like Robert knew some of the pocket hits were coming but purposely let it happen to buy time for the play to develop. I will agree most the hits I saw him take I was puckering it up hoping he'd be okay.

One thing that someone in the chat noticed but I didn't was that he was limping. We all know he has a cool guy strut so I disregarded it as just that. However, I went to saintsreport to nose and see what they thought of the game and there was a post up about how they thought Griffin had a pulled groin. They said they noticed the limp and after that, he quit doing the run plays and that's when they came back. I guess it became a little more predictable. Like I said, I didn't notice a limp but I did notice that they quit doing the run plays with him. I just thought that was because they didn't want him to keep getting hit.

What is you all's opinion on that?

i saw the limp too, but he looked okay later in the game.

I know running is part of his game, but I'm not a fan of too many designed runs. He's not small, but i don't think he has the body to take big hits like a Cam Newton.

I feel like we finally have a QB who can do everything. If you bring the pressure he can beat you with short, quick passes similar to the Saints opening drive. If you sit back and play cover 2 he can pick you apart with accuracy and great decision making. He can run the ball. He can throw the deep passes... I think the Skins offense has pretty much opened up and we can game plan on what the defense gives us.

I love the designed runs. Even if we don't use those plays a lot, defenses now know that there is potential that he can run and the coaches are not afriad of calling him to do that. It's just another option for defenders to keep in mind and with that element right there we have the upper hand.

I love the designed runs. Even if we don't use those plays a lot, defenses now know that there is potential that he can run and the coaches are not afriad of calling him to do that. It's just another option for defenders to keep in mind and with that element right there we have the upper hand.

I'm with you on this. I think its good to use the designed runs but that doesn't mean it doesn't scare the B-Jesus out of me. I just hope he has the instinct to know when to slide and never gets straight pummeled from one.

That first series, every time he was touched I winced. After halftime, I didn't care at all because even though he got hit plenty of times, I had a LOT of confidence he would get back up and move on to the next play. Then we started running a lot more in the 4th and he didn't get touched as much, which was awesome.

I will probably remember the first drive and then the Garcon TD forever.

Meh, unless he appears on the injury report, I'm not concerned about the limp at all.

I run enough to know that after a while your feet get sore and you start to sort of limp a bit. Especially if your shoes aren't perfect (I sidelined myself for a week because my shoes had no arch and my foot just started killing me, and i know they gave him good shoes). He should be fine.

Does anyone else think he looks much bigger than his height and weight would indicate? He's the same size as Rodgers, but he looks way bigger than him. It's awesome, the guy is built for this in my mind. Those who worried about his size were just looking too closely at the numbers and not his proportions and how he looks in the pads. His weight seems like it's spread in a balanced manner. He looks like a big, strong NFL QB to me.

I mean, who honestly looks that much bigger than him in pads? I'd say Roethlisberger, Locker and not many others. And even Big Ben lost some weight this year and looks normal. Manning has like 5 inches on Griffin in height and, yet, the way Griffin stands tall in the pocket it's virtually unnoticeable.

If he only got hit 3 times yesterday then that is good. Last season, our QBs got hit 108 times (third worst in NFL). That's over 6 hits a game (almost 7). Drew Brees got hit the least last season (51 hits). That's about 3 hits a game.

Archived