Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Y'all just KNOW I'ma keep a weekly update on Landry's bounce-back year from Saturday right? :ols:

Hail.

I didn't think his last season was bad individually. He put up monster production once again. His team took a step back, but people can't pin that all on him. Part of it was that he simply ran up against some truly great teams, great QBs, and lost to them.

I didn't think his last season was bad individually. He put up monster production once again. His team took a step back, but people can't pin that all on him. Part of it was that he simply ran up against some truly great teams, great QBs, and lost to them.

STEVE! Your my new hero and I don't care who knows. This man ROCKS!

*They might listen to you, They just laugh at me when I say things like that. Particularly that KD one.

Hail.

Am I the only one who still likes Landry Jones?

He reminds me so heavily of a Matt Ryan/Blaine Gabbert/Brandon Weeden/Sam Bradford. Other people see that too don't they?

He's a classic, tall, accurate, cerebral, strong armed pocket passer. Solid athleticism too. He's eminently translatable. You can turn a prospect like that into a tremendous passing QB in the NFL.

Landry Jones reminds me of a more quicked twitched version of Ryan Mallett, and I liked Mallett as prospect.

To my eye they have a similar throwing motions, strong arms that can throw with ease to all levels of the field (although imo Mallett arm talent is notch above LJ's), while not as athletic as some of the recent prospects LJ ,like Mallett, has better movement skills then he gets credit for.

I like Tyler Wilson more though.

I really like Tyler Wilson right now he would be my top QB prospect.

Never been a big fan of Barkley as the top prospect, sure he's productive but I have doubts about his physical skillset mainly his ability to drive the ball with velocity.

Never considered Landry Jones up there with the more athletic/playmaking QBs of recent drafts but Jones can hum it and that carries weight with me, he reminds me of a more fleet of foot Ryan Mallet but not quite the same arm cannon

Some guys I like that I'll watch to get a better feel of their skillset: Geno Smith, Aaron Murray (short + can he drive the ball?), Tyler Bray, Logan Thomas (can shorten his throwing motion?), Manuel (needs to be more efficient)

*They might listen to you, They just laugh at me when I say things like that. Particularly that KD one.

Hail.

LOL! I thought for a minute the whole world had turned on Landry. I thought he looked pretty good last season as an individual, had a very Landry-like year. Landry throwing for 300+ yards and a couple of TDs is one of the safest bets in college football.

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 11:16 PM ----------

Landry Jones reminds me of a more quicked twitched version of Ryan Mallett, and I liked Mallett as prospect.

To my eye they have a similar throwing motions, strong arms that can throw with ease to all levels of the field (although imo Mallett arm talent is notch above LJ's), while not as athletic as some of the recent prospects LJ ,like Mallett, has better movement skills then he gets credit for.

I like Tyler Wilson more though.

I could see the Mallett comparison. I think you're right that Mallett's arm strength was on a different level than Landry's and that separates them. But I also think Landry is a more fluid athlete, not so tall, not as big so that compensates.

I didn't really like Mallett as a prospect, not a first rounder at least. Part of that was unverifiable intangible concerns. I thought he might have had a drug problem. But a part of that was he just seemed so ungainly in the pocket to me. He needed a lot of room to operate and to step into his throws and he had some problems throwing to the left side of the field with touch IIRC, although that could have been offensive design making him throw right most of the time.

Landry seems considerably smaller than Mallett, if still a big QB. When OU played OSU last season, I thought he and Weeden looked cut from a similar cloth. That's probably who I would reach to as a comparison.

I agree with you that Landry is definitely not on the level that Tannehill and RGIII were. They were special athletes and I think Landry is about average at best. Would you say he is more or less athletic than Matt Schaub?

Re: Wilson, I don't have an opinion of him yet. I hear great things about him and Petrino QBs have had a good track record of making it to the NFL. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the best QB in this draft.

Some very lucky player is going to get Jarvis Jones this year, he is a complete monster and probably in my humble opinion the best defensive player in the draft. Wow, he is impressive every time I see him. He will be a star in the NFL. Top 5 pick for sure.

We need an CB that has the physical traits to be a #1 CB. I think Hall is next to be cut next year if he doesn't catch on with the FS position. But we need a RT too or atleast a Big Zone Blocking Olineman. Someone that can be Elite; C, G, or RT doesn't matter. I also would love for us to get Tavon Austin.

Some very lucky player is going to get Jarvis Jones this year, he is a complete monster and probably in my humble opinion the best defensive player in the draft. Wow, he is impressive every time I see him. He will be a star in the NFL. Top 5 pick for sure.

He's impressive no doubt, but Mingo is that much better IMO

Would you say he is more or less athletic than Matt Schaub?

Re: Wilson, I don't have an opinion of him yet. I hear great things about him and Petrino QBs have had a good track record of making it to the NFL. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the best QB in this draft.

I think Landry is a little more athletic then Schaub.

I can see the Weeden comparison; their throwing processes are different but I can see the comparison. (Weeden's is quicker/more compact imo)

From what I saw last year I thought Tyler comes into the season with the best combination of physical skillset+command/efficiency.

Can you believe 5 rookie QB starting?

Tip of the cap to Carrol for making the football honest decision with Russell Wilson.

How many teams would have even given him a real shot?

Hail.

I love the way Landry Jones throws the ball, and he moves better than many realise as well. What worries me is how he folded last year when Broyles went down - he has a lot to prove this year to solidify his draft status.

We need an CB that has the physical traits to be a #1 CB. I think Hall is next to be cut next year if he doesn't catch on with the FS position. But we need a RT too or atleast a Big Zone Blocking Olineman. Someone that can be Elite; C, G, or RT doesn't matter. I also would love for us to get Tavon Austin.

Couldn't agree more GWSkins, secondary and o-line are our next areas needing addressed. There's still this season to go but we NEED to shore up the CB and RT positions for immediate and long term future. As it is now my fingers are crossed that this Crawford kid is legit. Would make things much easier come April.

If he's healthy next season, I have a hard time seeing Hall get cut next year. He's still starting and he's a team leader.

If he's healthy next season, I have a hard time seeing Hall get cut next year. He's still starting and he's a team leader.

Biggest issue with Hall is his contract. I think he'll need to restructure, or play great this year & be extended. At current rates, Hall & Wilson will account for a big chunk of next years cap....over 10%

Still think we'll be all over Talib as well, if he is available.

Can you believe 5 rookie QB starting?

Tip of the cap to Carrol for making the football honest decision with Russell Wilson.

How many teams would have even given him a real shot?

Few would have. Wilson has been immediately impressive.

Five rookie starters is crazy. Piling on, we're at ten rookie and sophomore starters now. That's pretty amazing.

The thing is, about half the teams in the league now have QBs they will not be looking to replace any time soon. Starting opportunities will become limited. It's going to be hard for those of the rookies and sophomores that need some time to develop to get a fair shake at it. Especially if strong draft classes keep cycling in.

Few would have. Wilson has been immediately impressive.

Five rookie starters is crazy. Piling on, we're at ten rookie and sophomore starters now. That's pretty amazing.

The thing is, about half the teams in the league now have QBs they will not be looking to replace any time soon. .

I think its much easier for a modern QB to have early success then ever before.

The rules make it easier for the passers and receivers every year.

And more and more franchices are learning the process of how to develop a QB.

Combined with the new CBA I think the draft value or draft status of QBs is gonna come down.

Starting opportunities will become limited. It's going to be hard for those of the rookies and sophomores that need some time to develop to get a fair shake at it. Especially if strong draft classes keep cycling in
And some good prospects are gonna end up in some crummy situations and get scape goated.

E.g. Weeden certainly faces an uphill battle.

Ireland as a GM is gonna be an obstacle that Tannehill is gonna have to overcome.

AA will help, but man the Dolphins have to have the least amount of receiving talent in NFL.

I think its much easier for a modern QB to have early success then ever before.

The rules make it easier for the passers and receivers every year.

And more and more franchices are learning the process of how to develop a QB.

Combined with the new CBA I think the draft value or draft status of QBs is gonna come down.

I think you're right.

The formula for developing a QB is definitely better illuminated than in the past. And QBs are throwing the ball so much in college now they've got a higher comfort level as passers coming in than they used to. But I'm not sure many organizations have the will and patience to properly develop their QBs. What's the incentive to stick with a QB that you could develop into a high caliber passer in three or four more seasons if you have access to a superior raw talent in the draft that year?

And some good prospects are gonna end up in some crummy situations and get scape goated.

E.g. Weeden certainly faces an uphill battle.

Ireland as a GM is gonna be an obstacle that Tannehill is gonna have to overcome.

AA will help, but man the Dolphins have to have the least amount of receiving talent in NFL.

Weeden's job will be tough because of his age. He'll have to be ahead of schedule just to hold par. He also doesn't have much receiving talent to work with and he's in a hard division but I think he's got a couple of things working in his favor. I think Trent Richardson will be immediately successful and be helpful for reducing the pressure on Weeden. I think the offensive line should at least be decent. Hopefully. And the defense is actually pretty solid. Plus Holmgren has some track record for developing the position. But seeing the raw deal Colt got, you can only be but so optimistic.

Tannehill's situation is really crappy. It's not just Ireland, it's the ownership. That's a circus IMO. That receiving core is horrid. It's about as bad as Jacksonville's was last season, and he doesn't have MJD to move the offense. I could see him struggling to get comfortable and get completions like Gabbert did. But hopefully his coaching situation will be better than Gabbert's was last year. Maybe the OL will at least be decent.

Archived