Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I just love how anyone can predict what a team will draft, before the previous season has even kicked-off.

Gota' love the age we now live in.

Hail.

I think mock drafts are some of the most asinine creations ever.

Especially right now.

What's not asinine is figuring out what prospects are fits and which are not and who has talent and who doesn't.

What are our likely needs?

Which ones could we address through the draft?

I think they're pretty clear. DB and OL, across the board for both. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to be shaping up, anyhow. One can hope that the Honey Badger declares and slips, I guess....:ols::ols:

IMO, OL or CB/S in the 2nd depending on a few factors, the biggest being how the Oline plays. If they play well, and some of our young guys look solid, we might be able to get away with drafting a guy in the 3rd or later like this year. If that happened, I would probably prefer to see us go CB or S, unless everyone plays great and Minnifield looks ready to explode next year.

If however, injuries really mount and the rookies don't step up, OL would make the most sense. RT, if a solution does not present itself, will be the biggest issue.

I think our OL might be worse than we expected. I don't see a solution at RT presenting itself and I think our interior OL is still fairly weak.

We looked pretty bad running the ball last week, which is discouraging. We also got eaten up by the Bears OL in pass pro, which is also discouraging. The OL has been such a problem for so long now, it's starting to feel like we won't get the thing fixed unless we start spending more first and second round draft picks on the unit.

I also think running back could become a hefty need if Helu and Tim don't recover.

---------- Post added August-22nd-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

I think they're pretty clear. DB and OL, across the board for both. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to be shaping up, anyhow. One can hope that the Honey Badger declares and slips, I guess....:ols::ols:

Yeah. The secondary is weak but I'm OK with it being weak if we manage to field a good OL. Annoyingly enough. I think RB and TE could be weaknesses by the end of the season too. We are relying on Niles Paul to make a smooth transition, and if he doesn't that hurts us. Having a super competitive camp battle at a position means you're lacking established talent there IMO.

What are your take on Barret Jones, i love the fact that he can and has? played G/C/T.

Barret Jones is the perfect fit for this team.. doubtful he slips but w/ Fluker now playing LT and Cyrus playing RT Jones could slip as interior guys don't typically go that high... but yes he's versatile. I project him as a guard/center, but he played really well at tackle last season after playing most of his time at guard previously... I believe he will play C this year. His versatility will do wonders for our Oline depth. I'm biased but Alabama could easily have 3 OL go out in the first round. Chance W. at guard, Fluker at Tackle and Jones. and Cyrus will likely be a top 5 pick when he eventually comes out.

Also, I wonder how the Honey Badger is going to do in the NFL. He's not very big nor fast. Terrific instincts and toughness, but is that enough? The NFL is just so much bigger and faster than CFB.

Assuming football is his future of course. He did quit the sport for now to seek drug rehab after all.

Well we just had to do it again didnt we? 2013 looks to be another strong year for NFL draft prospects with QB's like Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson and Logan Thomas.

Lets go ahead and get it started off with some early season predictions eh? What are y'alls for 2012?

For me right now I think Tyler Wilson is the best QB in college football and when the year is all over he'll be the #1 QB in the 2013 draft

Also feel free to go over to NFLDraftMonsters.com and check my work for OL, also I can post some over here if you all want

Justin

Logan Thomas will be the first QB picked.

---------- Post added August-22nd-2012 at 05:35 PM ----------

If a guy like Knile Davis is sitting there in the 2nd, Joseph Randle maybe then I could see it being a RB pick. looks like another solid year of OT talent in the mid rounds as well

I would go after RT Oday Aboushi of UVA in the 2nd round. We need to fix the line right now. Might as well have two great bookends to protect RG3. Out of safeties, CBs, and RBs. Here's a few players that would be probably end up around the 3-5 round range is S Bacarri Rambo UGA , S Kenny Vaccaro Texas, CB Micah Hyde Iowa, CB Jordan Poyer Oregon St, CB Terry Hawthorne ILL, CB Carrington Byndom Texas, RB Eddie Lacy, RB Montee Ball Wisconsin, RB Andre Ellington Clemson, and RB Cameron Marshall ASU.

Also, I wonder how the Honey Badger is going to do in the NFL. He's not very big nor fast. Terrific instincts and toughness, but is that enough? The NFL is just so much bigger and faster than CFB.

Assuming football is his future of course. He did quit the sport for now to seek drug rehab after all.

He's intriguing because for many defenses, nickel corner is another starting position now...and I think that's where he projects best, along with being a stud returner.

Skins have a major issue at CB to resolve. Hall & Wilson will account for something like 10-15% of the total cap next year. Wilson will need to be extended & I think Hall will struggle to get the money due via his current contract. Given the $18m cap deduction, this will need to be resolved. Drafting a CB is a cost effective way to fill a need at a premier postion on the roster. Then the limited cap space can be spread further across other 'less-expensive' positions.

CB all the way for me in round 2 ( assuming a round 2 talent is there / ie, it wouldn't be a total reach pick )

What are your take on Barret Jones, i love the fact that he can and has? played G/C/T.

I've had a mancrush on Jones for awhile, I think he's an interior guy all the way, but he's extremely intelligent and has all the attributes you could want.

Also interested in Seantrel Henderson. Seems like his draft stock may be falling hard, but I think he has way too much upside. He'll be a later round tackle as things are now, but has the capability of being one of the best RT's in the league. It's great value.

And looks like one of the safeties I'm interested in, Ray Ray Armstrong, had a huge hit to his draft stock as well after being dismissed from miami. I understand that seems like a red flag, but he's had trouble due to talking to boosters and agents, nothing like criminal activity. Realistically, almost every miami player on the 2001 team, and tons of USC and UNC players from the last few years all had contact with agents and boosters and the like, it's not really a character issue. My issue with him was he is a guy who could be anything, he could become a great safety or he might just be another average safety, it's very hard to say because his career peaked his freshman year.

Last year was a lot of fun for me. Knowing that we'd grab a QB in the first made me watch a lot of guys and a lot of games that I normally wouldn't. What's more fun to scout than a QB?

Now it's OL (booooring) and DB (hard to scout with TV angles). We need a RT fo sho. I feel like that should be our biggest need, but not necessarily our highest pick. We could use a better Center. Unless somebody from our last couple of crops of OL makes the jump, it would be cool by me if we grabbed OL as early as possible assuming guys are there that are rated high enough.

I'll probably just do a lot more reading this year than actually trying to scout guys for myself. The fact that we don't have a first makes it all the more tricky anyway.

Last year was a lot of fun for me. Knowing that we'd grab a QB in the first made me watch a lot of guys and a lot of games that I normally wouldn't. What's more fun to scout than a QB?

Now it's OL (booooring) and DB (hard to scout with TV angles). We need a RT fo sho. I feel like that should be our biggest need, but not necessarily our highest pick. We could use a better Center. Unless somebody from our last couple of crops of OL makes the jump, it would be cool by me if we grabbed OL as early as possible assuming guys are there that are rated high enough.

I'll probably just do a lot more reading this year than actually trying to scout guys for myself. The fact that we don't have a first makes it all the more tricky anyway.

I agree, but Barrett Jones is my frontrunner in the draft as it stands now, though I imagine he'll probably go late 1st. This safety class should be pretty good as well. I think corners past the 1st round don't have a great track record, probably the worst of any position.

DG please come back to here and give your thoughts more often. Always have had the upmost respect for you, even if I didnt always agree with you.
Thanks bro and I would but many of my absences are by choice, lol.

This thread contains a lot of people that respect football and respect each other enough to put time and research into their opinions and not fall into the commonplace internet forum crap and I respect the heck out of you and the rest of the fellas in this thread that maintain that standard.

But enough of all the patting ourselves on the back...

I really like Tyler Wilson right now he would be my top QB prospect.

Never been a big fan of Barkley as the top prospect, sure he productive but I have doubts about his physical skillset mainly his ability to drive the ball with velocity.

Never considered Landry Jones up there with the more athletic/playmaking QBs of recent drafts but Jones can hum it and that carries weight with me, he reminds me of a more fleet of foot Ryan Mallet but not quite the same arm cannon

Some guys I like that I'll watch to get a better feel of their skillset: Geno Smith, Aaron Murray (short + can he drive the ball?), Tyler Bray, Logan Thomas (can shorten his throwing motion?), Manuel (needs to be more efficient)

I also think running back could become a hefty need if Helu and Tim don't recover.

Offensive line is a huge hole, but I think Alfred Morris could turn out to be something special. The kid just grinds all day long. We'll see what his durability is like running with that punishing style, but let's give him a shot before we really talk about having a hefty void there.

Honey Badger isn't a prototypical NFL player. I don't believe he has the size to match up with NFL receivers. But he's tough and athletic. He could be a very good special teamer, as well as a playmaking safety type hybrid who is allowed to just find the ball and make a play. But I don't think he'd match up well in the NFL with the larger bodies, and that means he likely won't be quite as highly valued as a lot of people think he'd be.

My early list of team needs in no particular order:

Disruptive/difference making defensive player

OT (starting caliber)

NT

Safety (starting caliber)

CB

RB

We need so many things...

But it all seems easier when you have that QB waiting on the wings.

I think it is early to say all our needs, I doubt the RT problem gets solved and we might find one quality safety to go forward with this entire year. I love Wilson and Hall can be okay when he wants to be, but our CB corp seems to be pretty underwhelming.

I think we should do this (as it stands right now, which means nothing)

2nd. RT

3rd. FS

4th. CB

5th. RB

6th. BPA

7th BPA

This coming offseason would be much more exciting with a shot at the better prospects in round one, it sucks not having a first for 2 whole years.

I think we should do this (as it stands right now, which means nothing)

2nd. RT

3rd. FS

4th. CB

5th. RB

6th. BPA

7th BPA

This coming offseason would be much more exciting with a shot at the better prospects in round one, it sucks not having a first for 2 whole years.

I'm fine with this list, but would prefer this:

2nd. RT

3rd. FS/TE/RB

4th. CB

5th. DL

6th. BPA

7th BPA

BPA until further notice.

Fact is, we don't know how good these guys will be by the season ends. Gettis or Compton or Smith emerging suddenly makes OL less of a need. Morris might be a quality starter for us, or Helu might get healthy or Royster might show more of what he showed last year. If anything, depending on how much promise our players show, it'd be better to bring in short-term mid-level FAs as development bridges.

So since we have taken a few SMU players the last 2 drafts... I wouldnt mind getting Margus Hunt as well. Dude got speed,size, and strength.

He's raw and will be 26 by the start of next season, remember reading he started playing football only a few years back. Could be our version of JJ Watt.

Age is the only thing not to like about this kid, that combined with time that he may need to develop, could ruin his short career IMO. Base on highlight reels, looks like he can cover and has a non stop motor. Hoping he can drop to the 3rd due to age or something .

6-7 288lb

35 reps of 225

4.6 - 4.7 40

Honey Badger isn't a prototypical NFL player. I don't believe he has the size to match up with NFL receivers. But he's tough and athletic. He could be a very good special teamer, as well as a playmaking safety type hybrid who is allowed to just find the ball and make a play. But I don't think he'd match up well in the NFL with the larger bodies, and that means he likely won't be quite as highly valued as a lot of people think he'd be.

As others have pointed out I would play Honey Badger in the slot or some kind of hybrid safety position as you point out. I think he would match up well with the smaller quicker slot receivers and do pretty well in that regard due to his quicks. Also as someone else pointed out the nickle corner has become a starter level position in the NFL, and IMO garners an early round pick (rounds 2-4).

Archived