Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I love this thread, although I can't contribute much right now.

I would love a ballhawking safety or starting-caliber RT with our 2nd round pick.

As a UVA alum, I will be following ACC football closely this season. From my team specifically, I would love to see Oday Aboushi (3rd) and Perry Jones (5th) in B&G. One of my roommates is a Michigan alum, so I'll be following them closely as well.

UVA runs a pro-style offense with a lot of stretch runs, so I don't think it would take Perry very long to adjust to our ZBS. His skill-set reminds me of a poor man's MJD. He's a little smaller than him but has lots of shiftiness and runs through contact

Note: Nothing really happens for the first minute of the video, but there's some good clips throughout.

I love this thread, although I can't contribute much right now.

I would love a ballhawking safety or starting-caliber RT with our 2nd round pick.

As a UVA alum, I will be following ACC football closely this season. From my team specifically, I would love to see Oday Aboushi (3rd) and Perry Jones (5th) in B&G. One of my roommates is a Michigan alum, so I'll be following them closely as well.

UVA runs a pro-style offense with a lot of stretch runs, so I don't think it would take Perry very long to adjust to our ZBS. His skill-set reminds me of a poor man's MJD. He's a little smaller than him but has lots of shiftiness and runs through contact

Note: Nothing really happens for the first minute of the video, but there's some good clips throughout.

I would seriously love to see Steve Greer here. Played great his frosh year in the 3-4 and always seemed to have a nose for the football.

Like others CB, S, OL stick out to me as clear needs. But I'm also of the opinion that you can never have too many DL. IMHO an elite defensive lineman's impact ripples throughout the entire defense moreso than any other position.

I don't have any names yet, but I wouldn't be upset if we drafted a big nasty DL w/ our 2nd rounder, especially given Shanny's presumed ability to find decent OL in the lower rounds (and if Crawford and Bernstine continue to impress, you could add CB/S too).

(in no order) -- OL (RT) -- DL (any) -- RB -- CB -- S

I think they're pretty clear. DB and OL, across the board for both. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to be shaping up, anyhow. One can hope that the Honey Badger declares and slips, I guess....:ols::ols:

The way this board has acted towards Trent and Fred over their suspensions, people would lose their minds if we drafted Mathieu. I can already see people posting that we should trade him before he gets suspended and loses value during his first preseason...

I would seriously love to see Steve Greer here. Played great his frosh year in the 3-4 and always seemed to have a nose for the football.

Greer would be solid, definitely an awesome understudy to Fletcher. He's great against the run but I have questions about his coverage skills. Very sharp at calling the defense though.

My only beef with him is I know his girlfriend (she's one of the twin twirlers that performs with the marching band - I was in the drumline). She's a terrible person and they are really serious, probably getting married after graduation. The thought of having her anywhere around/being associated with the Redskins makes me sick to my stomach lol. Plus she's a Patriots fan and her sister is a Cowboys fan.

Sad to hear about that Tennessee kid, I know he was really talented.

I really like Hunter on O to become that start player, but also on the O side I look for to become a star is Luke Joeckel from Texas A&M. If you haven't had a chance to watch him, I highly suggest you do so. Took Jackson Jeffcoat to school in a 1v1 matchup last year, and has been the premier shut down LT in college football

I think I speak for everyone when I say, we need to draft Mike Shanahan out of Pitt. I mean the guy has Anthony Mix height.

Do you think the head coach would live vicariously through him? Get the chance to win the super bowl as a player that he never got the chance due to a freak injury in college.

Do you think the head coach would live vicariously through him? Get the chance to win the super bowl as a player that he never got the chance due to a freak injury in college.

I think that is more than feasible and a very reasonable assumption. I guess where we know where that 2nd round pick is going this coming year.

- I think it's time to throw some talent at the OL rather than trying to develop long shots with shaky roster security. I'd love to get another significant physical talent for the unit, particularly for the right side. Right now, the upside for the OL outside of Trent looks like "competent starter." Be nice to get an impact starter. I feel like, traditionally, an OL with two impact guys on it can be really dominant.

- I've long since given up hope of having a steady, impact RB presence in this system. I don't think that changes this year unless the back is somehow overwhelming BPA. Shanahan likes consistency with some ability to break big plays when they get holes. That's all we're likely to see unless a stud falls through the cracks. He's not going to go out and spend for a back that can put the fear in a defense because I don't think he sees it as a wise allocation of resources.

- Pierre Garcon and Leonard Hankerson becoming playmakers for us is critically important. We'll go receiver by committee like the other great passing offenses like the Packers, Saints, and Patriots. But every year, you need a couple of guys to separate themselves and produce. Right now, Moss is the only semi-proven commodity and we know his flaws.

It'd also be huge if Aldrick Robinson got some burn and produced. He's one of the few legit gamebreakers we've got at WR & HB. It'd be nice to be able to get quick scores.

As it stands we probably still need to draft a receiver fairly early just to keep the pipeline full at the position.

- I agree with DG in that our defense really doesn't have any difference makers in it outside maybe London Fletcher. And even he's not really one because he's not an elite physical specimen.

I think Orakpo and Kerrigan are the closest we've got to this, but their ceilings are probably "very good, very productive" rather than "force of nature." Both are terrific athletes, powerful, smart and pretty instinctive. But neither are elite athletes with top notch speed, fluidity, burst, balance, and body control. And I think both would rather make the smart play than the potentially brilliant one.

An understated part of our defensive transformation the past two seasons is how much bigger and slower our defense has become. We've rebuilt ourselves as a Patriot's style, brainy, power defense for outdoor natural grass. Makes sense as that's Fedex and our weather situation. But we could use some more speed.

I think Bowen and Carriker are mammoth power guys that make sense in traditional gap control 5 technique roles. They will get sacks in pressure situations, but they're not going to get consistent and constant pressure like a playmaking 5 tech like Justin Smith.

I think Cofield is a bit more of a playmaker than you typically see at NT but he's not like a Haloti Ngata (during his good years) type.

The interior linebackers are good for now but won't be once London retires. I think Riley is a competent player with a nice upside in that he can blitz. But if you've seen Carolina play so far and see Luke Kuechly, you see what kind of impact an interior/stack linebacker can have when you marry elite anticipation with tremendous athleticism and size. Or Navorro Bowman & Patrick Willis for that matter.

We're going to be in a rough way at ILB when London retires.

Really, the DL lacks a true disruptor and the front seven lacks an elite force of nature type presence. That'll keep our defense from ever being elite. I don't see how we're going to fix this any time soon without first round picks. I'm hoping Jarvis Jenkins is truly special instead of just "really good." Usually you can tell if that's the case with a defensive player at the college level though, unless he's a late bloomer. I don't know...

- The secondary is a clear weakness, and is another unit that lacks playmaking ability. Deangelo is the only playmaker in the group and he's proven himself a flawed player that will never be elite. It would be nice to have an elite player at S or CB.

I think we've got a pretty good team all in all but it's a team without playmaking, elite talent outside of the new QB, the TE, and the LT.

I'd like us to add speed and freak athleticism at WR, OL, CB, S, DL, or ILB with our ensuing draft picks.

Pugh has got alligator arms. He's got long legs, tall, but he short arms those shivers, allows guys into his body. But in terms of speed, he's got it, but it's open field speed – "top end speed." I could see the question remaining about short-area quickness and/or recovery speed. But I want to see what he looks like after he recovers from the shoulder or whatever it is.

Pugh has got alligator arms. He's got long legs, tall, but he short arms those shivers, allows guys into his body. But in terms of speed, he's got it, but it's open field speed – "top end speed." I could see the question remaining about short-area quickness and/or recovery speed. But I want to see what he looks like after he recovers from the shoulder or whatever it is.

Noted that on my report I did on Pugh, does let the people in too easily to his body.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2012/08/maze_two_stay_the_course_tweak.html

Concerning head coach Doug Marrone vis a vis offensive line.

Despite school record-setting performances from quarterback Ryan Nassib, wide receiver Alec Lemon and tight end Nick Provo and a 1,000-yard rushing season from Antwon Bailey, the Orange ranked No. 90 in yardage gained, out of 120 teams.

Translation: SU will have the same pro-style system based on the one Marrone helped direct as an assistant with the New Orleans Saints. But the elements within it will be different in three critical areas:

- a streamlined passing game,

- a redefined running-game philosophy that relies more on misdirection than power

- and a change-of-pace tempo that could feature a no-huddle look as the staple of the scheme.

more misdirection

Marrone believes teams such as Toledo and Kansas State are onto something when they use passing-game concepts similar to SU’s but complement them with a ground game that includes the quarterback.

“We have to look at ways to run Ryan more,” he said. “Because that is where a lot of the big plays are coming from. You have to defend the quarterback runs as well as the quarterback passing. We want to get our quarterback more involved in our running game because now you can create more misdirection, you can create more gap assignment on the defense, and now you can also handle the rush a little better.”

Nassib displayed the ability to run SU’s version of the zone-read option effectively during camp. The offense will use that element to set up a variety of sweeps, traps, reverses and screens designed to make defenses play honestly.

The off-tackle power game also remains a staple of the running attack.

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

Noted that on my report I did on Pugh, does let the people in too easily to his body.

Yeah,

I don't know if that's just an anatomical thing or if it's the way he plays ... you know?

Maybe his arms are just short or perhaps there's something to be tweaked in his mechanics. I'm not sure.

Archived