Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

---------- Post added August-25th-2012 at 10:25 AM ----------

[/color]

Yeah,

I don't know if that's just an anatomical thing or if it's the way he plays ... you know?

Maybe his arms are just short or perhaps there's something to be tweaked in his mechanics. I'm not sure.

Yeah I basically sat there and watched and couldn't figure it out myself. it seemed like you could fix it some with mechanics. I really am interested to see his measurements at the combine though to have an official number

Man just saw Todd McShay's top 5 on Sportscenter and I'm a bit confused by it. No problem with Mingo or Amerson at #3 and #4, but Matt Barkley isn't the top overall player. Also Chance Warmack #2? I mean he's great, but DeCastro I had rated higher. John Jenkins right now isn't a top 5 player, but very well could after the season is over

I think Bowen and Carriker are mammoth power guys that make sense in traditional gap control 5 technique roles. They will get sacks in pressure situations, but they're not going to get consistent and constant pressure like a playmaking 5 tech like Justin Smith.

I thought so too about Bowen, but he's looked better this preseason. He looks a bit quicker. I guess now that his son is fully healthy and not hospitalized, he's been able to focus more on football in the offseason. I feel like the jury should still be out on him as regards to what type of player he is.

I think we've got a pretty good team all in all but it's a team without playmaking, elite talent outside of the new QB, the TE, and the LT.

I'd like us to add speed and freak athleticism at WR, OL, CB, S, DL, or ILB with our ensuing draft picks.

I kind of disagree about TE. Fred Davis isn't an elite talent, he still sucks at blocking. I'm not willing (yet) to spend a high pick on a ILB. Let's see how Riley develops in coverage this season, and what Keenan Robinson can do.

Jarvis Jenkins is still working his way back from injury, I plan on evaluating him in the 2nd half of the season. He won't get his explosion back so soon. Safety is a complete wildcard. I'm all for dropping our 2nd rounder on a corner (although the past few years haven't generated good corners in that round).

When all is said and done though, I'm fine with going BPA in the 2nd round on any position except for QB. If there's a freakish athlete available, let's nab him.

Its that time of year everyone...... COLLEGE FOOTBALL BEGINS!

Now that I don't go to WVU anymore and am going to NVCC, I find it hard to care. But I want to care.

Anyways,

I would stay away from QBs Landry Jones, Aaron Murray, Matt Barkley, and Logan Thomas. Unless they all start improving and Aaron Murray can prove he can beat a ranked team for once in his life I don't really care for them, Logan Thomas is all potential and not much actual production as of right now but that is subject to change, Matt Barkley will suffer USC QB syndrome in the NFL, and Landry Jones is just overrated period.

This is a good safety class, I think we could go with Ray Ray, Vocaroo, Rambo, McDonald, Lester, Elam etc. and be fine. We need starting safeties in the worst way.

Now that I don't go to WVU anymore and am going to NVCC, I find it hard to care. But I want to care.

Anyways,

I would stay away from QBs Landry Jones, Aaron Murray, Matt Barkley, and Logan Thomas. Unless they all start improving and Aaron Murray can prove he can beat a ranked team for once in his life I don't really care for them, Logan Thomas is all potential and not much actual production as of right now but that is subject to change, Matt Barkley will suffer USC QB syndrome in the NFL, and Landry Jones is just overrated period.

This is a good safety class, I think we could go with Ray Ray, Vocaroo, Rambo, McDonald, Lester, Elam etc. and be fine. We need starting safeties in the worst way.

Of the 4 you mentioned I agree with only Jones and Barkley. I'm actually a big fan of Murray and where I rank him really does depend on what his height ends up at. Thomas is still rough around the edges yes, but he's got every tool you want at QB. He's not Cam Newton obviously, but his ceiling is Roethlisberger.

Man just saw Todd McShay's top 5 on Sportscenter and I'm a bit confused by it. No problem with Mingo or Amerson at #3 and #4, but Matt Barkley isn't the top overall player. Also Chance Warmack #2? I mean he's great, but DeCastro I had rated higher. John Jenkins right now isn't a top 5 player, but very well could after the season is over
Don't know a lot about the other player yet.

But, I wouldn't have Barkley as the top QB so I understand how/why Barkley wouldn't be the top overall prospect.

Don't know a lot about the other player yet.

But, I wouldn't have Barkley as the top QB so I understand how/why Barkley wouldn't be the top overall prospect.

Right now I think Mingo can be one of those stud DE/OLB types. Relentless motor and he's very versatile. Has played DT on some downs for LSU even with now being a big guy, DE, OLB some snaps as well. As for Amerson he's a big corner who may move to safety, but 13 INT's in one year is impressive no matter what. Could be a zone corner as well, and i'm curious to see how he runs 40 wise

Kenny Ladler:

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ladler_kenny00.html

__

- All freshman team SEC - 2010 (coaches)

- True Junior

He showed some nice athleticism on the INT earlier in the game. Registered, I believe his third career INT. He comes from, you guessed it, Stone Mountain GA. Lots of athletes comin out of there.

---------- Post added August-30th-2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

Ladler there with the sack. He lined up press on the slot and crash blitz from essentially wide-9, missed the sack the first time, recovered and got the QB with a dive and arm sweep at the legs to trip him up.

A play or two before the sack he had the coverage on the streaking WR from Carolina, pretty much face guarded him (don't think people call that anymore) he was able to either get a hand on the ball or at least disrupt the play enough to cause the incompletion. I think he avoided contact, there was no penalty, yet of course the typical animated gesturing and pleading from the offense - which is part and parcel with today's football.

Right now I think Mingo can be one of those stud DE/OLB types.

Are you taking a guess at who might slide into the top 5, who is not already there?

More than likely, like you said it's not Barkley but a different QB.

But along those lines of a defensive player, I know you just mentioned Mingo, maybe Jarvis Jones.

I'd say he is another premiere pass rusher too. Though I don't know if I honestly care to guess if he actually is selected as a Top 5 player, doesn't really matter to me in the grand scheme of things.

One thing that gives me some hesitation to that end, I don't know ... sometimes it seems like JJ gears it down every so often. But that's tricky territory, I'm not going to push that idea. There's also the question to me if he can really set the edge against kick-out blocks in dominate manner, not just absorb the block but crush the edge.

I do agree with you on Mingo, in regard about being perhaps the first pass rusher taken, due to Mingo's speed - which looks freakish.

I just like a whole lot about JJ, but especially his speed around the corner and pursuit speed, though maybe not as pronounced as BM. I mean, if Jones has another double digit sack season, who knows maybe he gets snatched up by a 3-4 team that happens to be selecting in the top 5. Most have him top 10 anyway.

I also like the fact that they play him in stack occasionally and also that he physically dominates TEs. I haven't seen Mingo in coverage.

As for Amerson he's a big corner who may move to safety, but 13 INT's in one year is impressive no matter what. Could be a zone corner as well, and I'm curious to see how he runs 40 wise

I think he's more than just a zone guy. I know you were just thinking outloud. To me, that somewhat implies he needs to keep action in front of him or at least, in some way, it somewhat minimizes his INTs as errant throws from the QB or that he was just in the right place.

For example, the INT Amerson had against Louisville (against Bridgewater) in the Bowl game, the one he returned beautifully for a TD, he was in man there. They pretty much let Amerson go man while the safety dropped to centerfield and the other safety rolled over top to a kind-of cover 2 with underneath CB Man. Anyway, that INT and others, I've seen him just drape WRs in press.

Though I can see where you get the zone idea, he did have a couple of early season INTs kind-of find him. But there were plenty in which he was step for step with the WR and he adjusted or jumped to high-point to get the INT at the last second.

It looks to me that he's got plenty of agility and change of direction quickness to go one-on-one man.

I believe these are all the INTs vid:

Oh and you know as well as anyone that offensive tackle is always in high demand. Like you've pointed out before your Boy Joeckel is at the top right now.

I'd have to see how the season shakes out to know which tackle that would be and to have my rankings in order ...

but Tackle, LT, is always an easy guess for top 5.

Will ILB be a need after this season?

Do we have any hope of replacing London Fletcher with only a mild drop off?

I watched Kuechly almost every preseason game and am just flabbergasted with how good he already is. He's every bit the player he was in college, every bit the player I thought he'd be in the NFL. I thought he was Ndamukong Suh level safe. It kills me we never had a way to draft him.

Am I the only one who still likes Landry Jones?

He reminds me so heavily of a Matt Ryan/Blaine Gabbert/Brandon Weeden/Sam Bradford. Other people see that too don't they?

He's a classic, tall, accurate, cerebral, strong armed pocket passer. Solid athleticism too. He's eminently translatable. You can turn a prospect like that into a tremendous passing QB in the NFL.

No, you the man. Thanks.

I half imagine that you've created a super duper awesome computer program to cross analyze all the players of the draft. I'd love to see your spread sheet one of these days.

:ols: I really wish I could have, instead I rely on a little film and gut instincts on what I see from that film

Of the 4 you mentioned I agree with only Jones and Barkley. I'm actually a big fan of Murray and where I rank him really does depend on what his height ends up at. Thomas is still rough around the edges yes, but he's got every tool you want at QB. He's not Cam Newton obviously, but his ceiling is Roethlisberger.

I really want to like Matt Barkley. He's got some definite Sanchez to him and I was a fan of Sanchez for sure. But I think he's actually less physically talented than Sanchez, less athletic and his arm isn't quite the same caliber as Sanchez, whose arm is only a little above average in his own right.

I love Barkley's intangibles though and how good he looks managing his team. USC is such a Hollywood situation, it can't be easy to go out and just run your team and play football. He handles himself really well, which suggests to me that the NFL won't be too big for him no matter where he ends up.

He's also been accurate and efficient, which is good, but with the level of talent he plays with, it would be really bad if he wasn't those things.

I think Barkley can be a franchise QB for a team that will get him enough playmaking skill position players. He's not enough of a playmaking type at QB to go out and do it on his own. But you can win with a QB like him IMO.

Re: Murray, I don't see it with him. He just doesn't look like an NFL QB. He's tough and competitive for sure. But I don't think he has the physical attributes to be a starting QB in the NFL. I've got a friend who is a UGA alum and he agrees with me. He doesn't see NFL in him either, and he's seen plenty of guys shuffle through over the years to where its obvious with most of them that they're NFL bound. Hell, I remember seeing it for myself with TIm Hightower back at Richmond. These guys are just bigger and faster and overwhelm college players while Murray always looks like he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth.

Re: Logan Thomas, I think his ceiling is different than Roethlisbergers. For one thing, Logan is a lot bigger and stronger and more athletic than Roethlisberger. He's bigger and stronger than Cam Newton. He's a dynamic player that is on a different level physically from most of the defenders at the BCS level. He physically overwhelmed Carolina last year and that defense was loaded with high draft picks. Logan will be able to physically dominate NFL players. His upside as a playmaker is higher than Roethlisberger's. Logan can go to a bad team with no offensive line and few playmakers on offense and still produce. He can be your featured player on offense. I'm not sure if any of the other top QBs match that ability.

But he's still an underdeveloped passer and that is a significant problem in this day and age. Even more underdeveloped than Cam Newton turned out to be IMO. Rare is the organization that can take a raw talent at QB and has the skill and the time to properly develop him. He's going to need great teachers and a coaching staff with a ton of organizational stability, basically a guarantee from ownership of being around for the long term. That's just for Logan to even have a chance at realizing his potential IMO. All of the intangibles will have to check out too.

Physically though, he's in a class of his own. He will be in the NFL too almost. He's a rare football player.

Re: Landry, I disagree with you guys about him. I think he is a really good, really translatable QB prospect. His athleticism isn't going to drop any jaws, which is why I think guys like him tend to get underrated. He's certainly not in the sort of athletic class that RGIII or Tannehill were last year. But we've seen a lot of guys like Landry go on to the NFL and be high draft picks. A good organization can develop QBs like him into wildly productive passers. Tall, pretty strong armed, accurate, cerebral, instinctive playmaker in the passing game. Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, there have been a lot of these types of QBs that have had a ton of success in the NFL. I think he's a definite starting caliber talent.

Archived