Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I think we are building our team similar to Green Bay and NO. As of right now, our defense is better than either of those teams, but our offense needs to get to that level. *Both of those offenses have elite QB play and waves of skill position players to bring in. I think we have our potential elite QB and waves of talent to bring in. But the Pack and Saints also have Jordy Nelson, Finley, Jimmy Graham and Sproles as special talents to open up opportunity for everyone else. Denard is a guy that can be that special talent, but do it without completely killing the WR or RB pipelines. *His versatility allows us to use everyone.*

In case of Nelson, he may have run a 4.37 (GODDAMN IT VINNY...sorry...), but the dude also runs great routes, can beat bump, and has really good hands. The speed helps the big plays, but it doesn't cause it. It's an incredible facet of his game, but his game is much more based around him. Graham and Finley are just so big that it hard as hell to defend the in the seams (Finley drops a lot of balls, though). And Sproles is just a lil ball of awesomeness (that's a football term, right?).

I think we see every year we get really fast guys who blow up the Combine their 40 time, and then get to the NFL and don't do much. Every year there's scat backs or flat out speed guys who come out and don't amount to much. They get to the NFL and they struggle because, in college, you can catch a guy flat footed and blow past them. In the NFL, everyone is pretty damn good; you have to bring something more to the table than speed.

I think that's my thing with Denard; if we line him up in the backfield, is he going to pass protect? Or is he going to be the poor man's Percy Harvin, where you line him up all over the formation? What's his route tree going to look like? I don't know...I'd much rather another team take that chance.

I'm typically a "best-player-available according to your needs" guy, and I like players to be more fleshed out and well rounded than experiental. And I'd expect Aldrick to sort of get more and more looks to be that speed, vertical receiver. I know he's unproven now, but I get the sense he might make some big plays this season. Denard seems like an experimental thing. Maybe it's just me.

man, after watching the alabama game, i really wish we had a 1st round pick to nab chance warmack the huge guard for the tide. he is a beaaast, and he is athletic, it shocked me how he was pulling and getting out into the 2nd and 3rd levels

Agreed, Warmack is one of those guys I love to watch play football. The other guy is Barrett Jones as well, he could go late 1st or mid 1st, it all depends on how teams view the C position

Safety or OT with our 1st overall in 2013. I'd be shocked otherwise.

Agree with the overall sentiment but I would expand it to include any O-line or any DB. I would'nt be opposed to Shanallen drafting a pure center if he was the BPA or a great cover corner either.

John Boyett caught my eye.

A little bit like Eric Weddle. Maybe a tick smaller, slightly smaller. Maybe not as much length in the arms and legs, to my eye. Weddle is very instinctive as a runner with the ball, few are like him. We'll have to see in terms of speed. Though, Boyett's energy, hustle, diving for passes, diving for fumbles, sticking his nose in there, for his size, is just energizing and fun to watch. When he intercepts someone and he reverses field on a run-back, that just strikes home as very Weddle. Also just their short of stature, play big, type styles are similar. His interviews come off real well as well. Lots of pride and genuine earnest responses.

Another edited vid of Ellington:

---------- Post added September-3rd-2012 at 09:58 PM ----------

Thomas has all the advantages of rare size, etc. but has a ways to go throwing the ball.

---------- Post added September-3rd-2012 at 10:00 PM ----------

Finch has not stepped up his game, he's getting bullied by #98.

Finch has not stepped up his game, he's getting bullied by #98.

Injured now too.

Big personal foul against Sweeting. Kinda iffy though, he hit after the ball was over the WRs head. Still, him hitting the guy means he wasn't aware of where the ball was. Then again, he's pegged as a 5th or 6th rounder, so can't expect a complete player.

Aaaaannnnd he gave up a huge TD pass, and he pass interfered at that. Hmmm....

Injured now too.

Big personal foul against Sweeting. Kinda iffy though, he hit after the ball was over the WRs head. Still, him hitting the guy means he wasn't aware of where the ball was. Then again, he's pegged as a 5th or 6th rounder, so can't expect a complete player.

Aaaaannnnd he gave up a huge TD pass, and he pass interfered at that. Hmmm....

The PF was borderline but it was dumb to take that cheap shot when it was clear the play was over.

The interference penalty was the right play. If you know it's a TD, it absolutely behooves you to interfere in CFB. TD versus a 15 yard loss.

---------- Post added September-4th-2012 at 12:05 AM ----------

Not a very good night from Logan Thomas so far. Inaccurate and looks like he's hesitating too much

He was inaccurate, threw high a lot. Some of the misses were the receivers fault. Two of the bad throws looked like the receivers ran the wrong routes. Threw it away a couple times when there was nobody open. He's going to be working with an inexperienced group of WRs this year. He's going to have to bring them up and elevate them.

I didn't think his timing was as much of an issue as his accuracy. He was just throwing high.

But the thing with Logan is that he's got that Roethlisberger big QB demeanor. He's never rattled in the pocket. He sees the whole field and extends plays so easily. He just makes it look easy. I think he's got really good pocket presence.

He's also got an absolute gun. Some of those big plays were into tiny windows, plays that will translate to the NFL level. I was also impressed with his touch throws, especially the first touchdown.

The interference penalty was the right play. If you know it's a TD, it absolutely behooves you to interfere in CFB. TD versus a 15 yard loss.

That's true, but ideally if you're going to interfere, don't get beat by so much that the interference doesn't stop the guy, haha. The guy made a really nice catch though.

Wow Georgia Tech.

I love it when underdogs show up big.

They played well. The defense was great and the offense was good enough. Showed some new wrinkles this year with all of the pistol passing plays. Tevin Washington played well, it's a shame to lose it on one terrible play like that.

In general, I thought Finch did as good a job as could be expected. He gave up a ton of size to Hopkins and Hopkins played low. I think Hopkins outmatched him, and he opened my eyes tonight as to his NFL potential. That's an NFL nose IMO.

But Finch blew some guys up with his cut blocking. NFL starting center? I don't know. I'm not sure he has the requisite size. But he's a tough, savvy player.

I think Taylor Lewan is my top OT.

---------- Post added September-9th-2012 at 12:12 AM ----------

Tyler Wilson apparently was injured today, at first it was called an "upper body injury." Now it's been called a concussion (10:00 pm). I wasn't watching the game, don't know the details. The highlights showed some pretty tough shots he took.

The deep sideline GO he threw for a TD early in the game was a thing of beauty.

__

De'Anthony Thomas would certainly be my front runner for the Heisman.

__

Some names I've had to look into after noticing them during today's games:

Saturday sept 8 2012

Ameer Abdulla #8 - RB Nebraska

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=205097752

Filling for Rex Burkhead presumably. Shifty and quick. Ran for a TD showing nice elusiveness, wiggle in the hips.

__

Justin Britt #68 - OT (RT) Missouri

He was playing RT going against J. Jones often enough, until the injury to OT #77, he had to move to LT. One play he pancaked Jones, had great leverage with both hands placed right up under the armpit, got Jones high and took him down to the ground.

He held his own for the most part against Jones, Britt looked physically strong.

He probably will be unrightfully credited with giving up the sack against Jones, which ended up as a FF. The QB had bailed from the pocket, was scrambling and ad libing, so the play was broken down. Jones came from the blindside and ran him down.

There is a limit to Britt's top-level athleticism.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/britt_justin00.html

__

Joe Fauria # 8 - TE UCLA

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fauria_joseph00.html

So far (as I've seen) he has two TDs, good size, athletic. He's somewhat of a hybrid TE in so much as he's 6'7" and about 250 / 260 ish. Lines up in slot often. Not as sudden an athlete at first look. An ok prospect right now.

__

Anthony Barr #11 - OLB

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/barr_anthony00.html

Very active, has speed and length. Looks taller than his 6'4' listing. Maybe that's because he's kind-of skinny. He's long, in the same sense that Keenan Robinson looked long, on tape, at UT.

__

The kicker for Nebraska, Brett Maher #98

Hit a 52 or 54 yarder and 49, I believe. He did miss one later on in the game - went 3/4.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if any of the players we drafted last year were juniors aside from RGIII? Wondering if that's still a strong trend to look at.

We didn't, but I think the logic behind that notion is extremely flawed. Last year, 65 underclassmen declared for the draft, a record. 19 went in the first round, 8 in the second. 21 went undrafted. That leaves 17 drafted in 5 rounds, or 190 picks. That's just 9% of the player pool that was drafted in those rounds. The chances of not drafting an underclassmen in every one of those 8 picks we had? .47%, or basically 50-50 odds. A lot of guys on here act like it's a major determining factor, but realistically MOST teams don't draft an underclassmen after the 2nd round and the chances probably decrease after each round, so that .47% number may even be low.

Now, if this is the case after ten years, MAYBE it's a real deal, but there are PLENTY of examples in the draft history of shanahan drafting underclassmen, so I doubt that he suddenly developed an aversion to younger players. I don't want to really go through all the fact checking, but you could probably find plenty of 3 year periods in redskins draft history where our 3rd+ draft picks were all seniors.

We didn't, but I think the logic behind that notion is extremely flawed. Last year, 65 underclassmen declared for the draft, a record. 19 went in the first round, 8 in the second. 21 went undrafted. That leaves 17 drafted in 5 rounds, or 190 picks. That's just 9% of the player pool that was drafted in those rounds. The chances of not drafting an underclassmen in every one of those 8 picks we had? .47%, or basically 50-50 odds. A lot of guys on here act like it's a major determining factor, but realistically MOST teams don't draft an underclassmen after the 2nd round and the chances probably decrease after each round, so that .47% number may even be low.

Now, if this is the case after ten years, MAYBE it's a real deal, but there are PLENTY of examples in the draft history of shanahan drafting underclassmen, so I doubt that he suddenly developed an aversion to younger players. I don't want to really go through all the fact checking, but you could probably find plenty of 3 year periods in redskins draft history where our 3rd+ draft picks were all seniors.

I think there is some merit to this. Generally, underclassmen don't declare unless they think they've got a shot at going in the early rounds.

But you don't think it's telling that Shanahan has only drafted one underclassmen in three years here? He's made 27 draft picks. And RGIII isn't a typical underclassman because was a four year starter that only retained his junior eligibility status through a medical redshirt in 2009.

Never picking a true underclassman in 27 picks looks like an overwhelming trend.

---------- Post added September-10th-2012 at 10:34 AM ----------

Especially when going against one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Good defenses give most rookie QBs problems, even Andrew Luck.

Tough day for the rookies outside RGIII. Tough day for a lot of the veterans too. Brees looked poor by his standards, Brady got his nose broken, Stafford and Vick turned it over too much. Cutler played well but I thought he was sloppy too. Eli looked like Eli. The only really established QBs who seemed to play up to their ability were Romo sits to pee, Peyton, and Matt Ryan.

I thought Blaine Gabbert had a really good game and played well enough to win and it's a shame his team couldn't hold the Vikings down the stretch. I thought Ponder played pretty well too, good to see both of them making some strides.

I thought Mark Sanchez was terrific. He's quietly growing into a quality passer, not just a good manager. The fourth and fifth seasons of a QBs career is often where you see a QB come into his own as a passer and I think that's what we'll see from Sanchez and Flacco this year, and what we'll see to an even greater extent with Ryan and Stafford, all of them falling into that range of their careers.

RGIII was spectacular. I think he's got the best situation of any of the rookie QBs.

1.) The organization is utterly committed to him for years. This is going to be tough to overcome for Weeden and Wilson, where their team commitments are very loose IMO.

2.) The Redskins defense is probably better than the Browns' and Seahawks', and certainly better than the Dolphins' and Colts'. I think our advantage here might be significant.

3.) Our coaching staff and HC are better than the staffs from each of those other teams.

4.) Our OL is better than the Colts' at least, probably at least a little better than the OLs in Cleveland and Miami as well.

5.) Luck has a good group of receivers in Indy, but our WRs are better than the crap they're trotting out in Cleveland and Miami and they're better than the guys in Seattle IMO.

Tot it all up and I think it comes out to RGIII being in the best situation to succeed. Do you agree?

I think, in rebuilding this team, Shanny definitely opted for accomplished, mature seniors with a lot of starts because he felt them as having more in the "floor" department. More mature, more polished, etc, and thus more likely to stick on a roster. The front office really felt they absolutely could not afford to miss, say, a 2nd or 3rd on an underclassman, or someone who had elite measurables but wasn't hugely productive. Given the state of the roster in 2009, this was a very rational decision. Thus, you get a Ryan Kerrigan instead of say, staying at 10 and taking a Robert Quinn or even a J.J Watt or Nick Fairley. Also, the front office wanted to be a playoff team in 3 years. If you want to turn a team like the 2009 Redskins into a playoff team in 3 years, you have to hit on lots of picks. And what Shanahan has done to date is almost certainly unprecedented in NFL history (for perspective, the 2011 Lions had SIX starters from the 2008 0-16 team, including their best player, and still have those same six in 2012, though Riley Reiff will likely take over for Cheridus, we have three starters from the 2009 Zorn team)

Also as you drop down the rounds, pretty much everyone is a senior. The difference is, Shanny is prioritizing things like college starts and accolades as well. The ideal Shanahan draft pick, as has been noted before, has had lots of starts, has set a few school records, has had several awards, at least within the conference, and has generally been highly productive for 2-4 years.

RGIII was spectacular. I think he's got the best situation of any of the rookie QBs.

1.) The organization is utterly committed to him for years. This is going to be tough to overcome for Weeden and Wilson, where their team commitments are very loose IMO.

2.) The Redskins defense is probably better than the Browns' and Seahawks', and certainly better than the Dolphins' and Colts'. I think our advantage here might be significant.

3.) Our coaching staff and HC are better than the staffs from each of those other teams.

4.) Our OL is better than the Colts' at least, probably at least a little better than the OLs in Cleveland and Miami as well.

5.) Luck has a good group of receivers in Indy, but our WRs are better than the crap they're trotting out in Cleveland and Miami and they're better than the guys in Seattle IMO.

Tot it all up and I think it comes out to RGIII being in the best situation to succeed. Do you agree?

Yep, this is why I was so committed to trading the picks to drafting him. We were bringing RGIII into an almost perfect situation (though I think he would succeed regardless of situation, same with Luck, super elite QB prospects are likely to succeed as long as the situation isn't an utter trainwreck), the system/QB fit was just unbelievably good, and it was clear that we're quickly moving into being one of those top-echelon drafting and scouting teams that finds quality players throughout the draft, and maximizes their FA choices even if it takes some time to come to fruition. Look at what we did yesterday. Our OL played excellent against a very good front four with Will Smith back and Brodrick Bunkley in the middle (who is a great run stopper). WRs played excellent, and this was with no Garcon. Our DL crushed one of the best interior OLs in the league, stoned their run game; it reminded me of what the Niners did last year, except Brees played even worse this game. Our CBs played pretty good, and Josh Wilson is a stud. If we can find a stud safety in draft or FA, our defense will be set. Hopefully Meriweather can come back soon.

Archived