Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

:ols: aka i'm about to go out

I was gonna say, sounds like you're about to go get drunk Mr. Philosopher.

Uh..draft, right....Tavon Austin, I think, is what I really wanted T.Y. Hilton to be last year. But he's better. A better receiver, and a better returner. Faster. Projects to be a better slot receiver I think.

Helu could be a game breaker of sorts and he's our change of pace back. But the main problem with Helu is he just hasn't been healthy. I think we'll have a good idea of what to expect out of Helu by the end of the year. It could be that he stays healthy and gives us a lot of big plays and this discussion is moot.

Or he could be unreliable and we've got a question mark at the position going into the offseason.

Helu has 4.4 speed so I don't think quickness is as much the issue with him. He's got a definite ability to break long runs and pile up huge chunks of yardage. Anyone remember the Nebraska v. Missouri game from 2010 where he got 200+ rushing yards? Big play after big play. That game was like the Kansas St. Big 12 championship game where they beat a seemingly invincible Oklahoma team on the strength of a monstrous Darren Sproles performance. It was a big play RB completely showing out.

His speed isn't elite but it's of a very high caliber.

What we need to look for is not necessarily the fastest runner, but the runner who hits his creases well and then can gear up to an elite open field speed to bust big runs. We need someone who won't get negative runs. Royster and Morris are like that, except they don't have the gear to then break away. I'm hoping Helu stays healthy and becomes that break away runner for us so we don't have to go out searching.

Also, it'd be nice to get a back that can really catch to add that other dimension to the running game.

Denard Robinson strikes me as something different than Reggie Bush. An interesting weapon in a different way.

First off, I think he'll be a primary WR, secondary HB. More like Percy Harvin in utility than Bush. Bush is an extremely strong guy with a powerful build for the RB position. Denard is a somewhat slender player better suited to playing WR physically.

But Denard playing QB instead of WR in college poses issues with his draft status.

As good a playmaker as he is, projecting Denard to WR involves a huge risk, making picking him in the second untenable. Let's say catching and route running aren't an issue, can he beat press coverage? These are skills he won't have developed at all coming into the league. His speed and ability to get up field and gain yardage in space is truly special. But he's a tweener through and through.

My problem with Helu is that his vision seems to be lacking. He really has more trouble finding the hole than Royster or Morris. Royster takes what the defense gives him and nothing more. So far from preseason and game 1, Morris always falls forward, but doesn't show much wiggle/creativity.

I'm all for drafting a guy like Robinson or Austin, but I just can't get behind spending money on a FA at RB, and especially not Reggie Bush.

It's not that Reggie isn't a great player, but the man will be 28 when FA rolls around next year. If he wants a 4 year contract of some size, the team that takes him will be playing the odds as to whether he's able to perform 3 and 4 years out. I'd like to believe that he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear, but RBs burn out so quickly in this league, I just feel like it's an unnecessary risk. We've got the youth movement going, let's just sit tight on RBs already in the league and draft another guy.

The way I could see myself endorsing a move for Bush would be if that sort of X-factor at RB was the missing piece of the SB puzzle, like how some teams are one position away from complete and then go get it. I just don't see us there yet, I think there are multiple positions that come before RB in terms of pieces missing, and I don't think our running game is all that incomplete. Helu is not Reggie Bush, for certain, but he kind of works as a change of pace guy and pass catcher, while Morris could probably serve as the main back.

Where do you see a player like Steward fitting in? He's pretty undersized to play in our base packages. You see him as a nickel linebacker? What about some strong safety?

- Steward:

I don't see SS as a good fit. He doesn't have that hybrid athleticism like Lavonte David. If you remember, prior to David adding weight and of course proving himself in camp, some thought he would have to try a safety role in the NFL.

David of course added weight, good weight, and is still quick as heck - had something like 6 tackles in Week 1 as an WILL LB. David also is just instinctual as all get-out.

Steward doesn't have the same speed, ability as David, not the same category.

In fact Derrick Matthews, (Steward's teammate) may end up being more like LaVonte David than anyone else. True frosh with 106 tackles, 55 solo stops, three interceptions, 10 tackles-for-loss and two forced fumbles.

• 2011 Conference USA All-Freshman Team

• 2011 Freshman All-America (College Football News).

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mathews_derrick00.html

To my eye Steward actually looks to have a slightly larger bone structure (though generally equal measurement numbers). He seems to have more bulk but equal weight to David, as compared to David last season at Nebraska.

Yet, ultimately I'd say that Steward is really just an LB. Same scheme fit though as David.

He seems well suited for the 4-2-5.

He's good in coverage for a LB. The one thing that stood out to me about his play and ultimately what made me post about him was his tackling form: Head up, nose right into the solar-plex, arched back and good wrap (most of the time, when he could square up a tackle). To me, that form tackling is translatable at any level of football.

I just don't think a pure SS is right for him, not like your standard backpedal cover 2 type, at least.

Maybe a real old-school SS, like a guy who is Rover and plays strong side like an extra LB, in the box. One who plays the TE on release, has run support against a pulling guard, then in pass has to jam the TE, cover Curl to Flat and then go with Twins or Trips.

He's a good player in the C-USA, not dominate. So his transition to the NFL might be like many of the C-USA guys I end up rooting for. In all likelyhood the only thing I can say about him, right now, is camp competition and special teams in the NFL - udrfa/7th/FA.

Maybe he blows up this year. I'll be watching.

Steward doesn't have the same stat line as Marcus McGraw, either, who went undrafted:

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/5/5/3001427/meet-arizona-cardinals-undrafted-free-agent-marcus-mcgraw

Probably not as skilled nor plays with the same reckless abandon:

I first noticed him last year, from the stat colunm and decided to find film on him.

The cbs sports netweork replays C-USA games and recently my interst in La Tech has been sparked, mainly because I watched their offense and I'm like: "that what the Skins run, same formations, groupings, etc." And La Tech and Houston had a shoot out recently.

[Lewan] ...He's very reminiscent of the other excellent "tall" tackles to have come out recently, like Veldheer, Solder, and Vollmer.

I'm a big fan of Veldheer, who becomes an unrestricted FA in 2014. Any interview of his sheds such insight to his character, technician too.

Lewan:

I just absorb the whole picture of his game and come away really pleased. I'm not so focused on the details. I've yet to look into his character or other insights to personality, so I'm going to need to do some work on that.

__

RB talk:

In terms of the guys in the draft that I see as archetype shanahan guys are Rex Burkhead and Zach Line. Not that I'm enamored with those two, just their style of running seems like MS.

- not to mention the SMU and Nebraska connection

- likewise the whole squirreling away, stockpiling of 4th to 7th round selections that MS does and he seems to spend one each year on RB and CB.

I'm actually becoming a big fan of Le'Veon Bell. I'm starting to like him a lot.

MSU uses some zone stretch - Bell scored a TD vs Boise ST, at the goalline, in such a play. He just made one cut and into the endzone. He's even taken the handoff "mesh point," from the shotgun alignment.

vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXywqw6BmIM

__

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxUeSeb06uk

__

Chris McDonald from MSU, RG #62 is pretty good as well. I remember liking him from the end of last season and from my off season review of offensive linemen.

One guy that is just about the opposite of Bell, in terms of size and ground/pound is Ellington, whom I'm still fond of, but different type of role, different style RB to Bell.

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 03:19 AM ----------

I thought Tavon Austin was absolutely BEAST against Clemson in the bowl game last year. His junior was great in all, I'm interested in seeing this year unfold. I'm with the mob on this one.

__

Marquess Wilson apparently had himself a mercurial night vs UNLV, tonight. I saw the long TD pass which was nice. He according to CBS had two TDs, but dropped potentially two other ones. I'm watching replay right now.

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 03:21 AM ----------

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20187738/quick-hits-washington-state-35-unlv-27

MSU VS ND preview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP4rZB7f0cU

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

...And I would love to get De'Anthony Thomas too.

yeah but he's not draft eligible this year, true soph, not until 2014 at the earliest.

Not to mention I'm sure every GM has utter those words at some point last year or this year. So as it stands now, competition to get him is intense.

I really like him too. Smooth, throws a great ball. He'll be really fun to watch by the time hes a senior. Would like to see him bulk up a little bit tho.

Been watching him since last year and I'll be honest he's the best QB in his class right now. Has the size at 6'3, could stand to add weight, but wow is he impressive

In the Louisville v UNC game some offensive line to watch:

Louisville:

#70 John Miller LG

#63 Mario Benavides C

#66 Alex Kupper LT

UNC:

#64 Jonathan Cooper LG

#68 James Hurst LT

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 04:21 PM ----------

On defense, for Louisville, there are two safeties worth watching

#25 Calvin Pryor

#29 Hakeem Smith

Never really believed in Logan Thomas and VT as much as I wanted to. People seemed to go wild for Thomas but when you look at his production it is mediocre at best, I think VT and Thomas are both incredibly overrated and losing to Pitt kinda proves it. He is pretty much played himself out of the first round, he has all the potential in the world but he hasn't put anything to use lately.

Forgot another there Monk. Brennan Williams for UNC as well

Oh yea, I thought I was leaving something out, lol.

The Right Tackle, right?

#73, RT - I just saw get a holding penalty.

---------- Post added September-15th-2012 at 04:46 PM ----------

Big Ole John Miller pullin' and Bury defender - RB for a TD.

Archived