Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Did anyone watch the other rookie QBs play?

No I only saw RGIII and Luck play. Missed the Weeden, Wilson, and Tannehill games. Of the Sophomores I made sure to catch a lot of the Ponder-Gabbert game. Both Gabbert and Ponder looked good IMO. Missed Cam Newton's game but heard it was kind of blah for him. I watched Dalton last night and I expected him to play poorly and he did.

I would love to see some cut ups if you've got them.

Hey Gore, just responding real quick to a few of the points you made:

- I agree that Moss and Brown should be cut. I think Josh Morgan will need to play well to justify his $5 M salary as well. I also think Monty might be a good candidate for a cut if Gettis pans out.

- Tanard Jackson is a FA after this season, given his suspension, I think it's more likely than not we'll move on from him.

- I'm with you on hoping Merriweather pans out. Not a world beater or playmaker in coverage from what I remember, but he should be good enough in run support. I hope he can become a solid starter for us. I wouldn't mind seeing us get a playmaker.

- I'm also with you that I'd like to see Talib here. He could be a big boon for his ability to single cover good receivers reliably. I'd like to see a good press coverage big corner on the team too.

- I think RT is the team's biggest need since I don't trust Polumbus at all and our OL depth and pipeline talent is all in the interior. I'd love to see us go out and get a good RT in the draft or FA. I don't really want to settle for a system guy with marginal physical attributes at this position.

- I think you've accurately nailed the front, but I disagree somewhat in the value I'd place on getting another playmaker for the unit. I think a highly disruptive DE or a playmaking ILB would have huge synergistic value for the unit. It could push the group into elite territory.

- I'm with you in wanting a star RB also. Morris is a workhorse with limited big play ability but he looks nice. Royster is a backup ideally. Helu has been something of a disappointment as the change of pace runner. Watching Darren McFadden last night made me a little jealous. Think of how potent the offense could be pairing RGIII with a multi-tool playmaker and speed merchant like that?

I like the idea of pairing a top talent at QB with one at RB.

We obviously couldn't pay that kind of draft price for a RB. I like Knile Davis too. If Denard Robinson was bigger and more thickset, I'd be extremely interested in him as a RB. If he proves he can catch well, I'd still be interested in him as a RB/WR. He'd be a chance to get an elite playmaker with top end speed outside the first round.

I'd love to see us get a good pass blocking RT in the second and then someone like Denard in the third. If we managed that, the offense would really transform.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 02:40 PM ----------

What do you all think about Oday Aboushi as a starting RT for our scheme?

What's the consensus on the other Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews? What about Brennan Williams from UNC?

No I only saw RGIII and Luck play. Missed the Weeden, Wilson, and Tannehill games. Of the Sophomores I made sure to catch a lot of the Ponder-Gabbert game. Both Gabbert and Ponder looked good IMO. Missed Cam Newton's game but heard it was kind of blah for him. I watched Dalton last night and I expected him to play poorly and he did.

I would love to see some cut ups if you've got them.

I DVR'd the direct TV shortcuts but have no clue how to upload them.

But, we're discussing the rookies QB and i'm sure we'll talk about the 2nd year guys too here:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?369949-2012-Rookie-QB-Discussion&p=9139462#post9139462

I think the strategy for the redskins for the 2013 draft should be heavily focused on the line. OL and DL. If a superior CB or S is available that could be an option as well, but I would focus most on the lines.

I'd agree more on the OL side than DL though, right now I can't really see a reason to add more to the DL unless the value it presented was so much more than a CB/S/OL person

This how I see it. Mike will try and get needs in FA. That's how he rolls. Don't know about how the cap situation going to pan out in 2013. But if our RT doesn't hold up then we might make a pitch for Ryan Clady, Jake Long, or some other good RT. CB I think we would go after Talib and get him. Hope he comes cheap cause I would want to go after the RT and CB. But we have to remember we have Chase Minnifield red-shirting. May can move Minnifield to FS. If we get Clady and Talib next year in FA...I would go BPA except to QB, T, and OLB. Everything else can be picked. TE would be the great someone like Graham.

This how I see it. Mike will try and get needs in FA. That's how he rolls. Don't know about how the cap situation going to pan out in 2013. But if our RT doesn't hold up then we might make a pitch for Ryan Clady, Jake Long, or some other good RT. CB I think we would go after Talib and get him. Hope he comes cheap cause I would want to go after the RT and CB. But we have to remember we have Chase Minnifield red-shirting. May can move Minnifield to FS. If we get Clady and Talib next year in FA...I would go BPA except to QB, T, and OLB. Everything else can be picked. TE would be the great someone like Graham.

But finding a TE like that isn't easy at all. Clady is not likely considering the money he'll want. Talib is the most likely of the bunch

What do you all think about Oday Aboushi

He's ok, steady, average. I kind-of recall he struggled with Auburn in last year's bowl game. I actually was in cville and watched both the Richmond and Penn St. game this year but for whatever reason I didn't try to focus much on Aboushi and breakdown his play or try and grade it out. I gave just cursory looks. I just don't come away watching him saying: "wow, what an athlete," more like "yeah, ok."

Seems like at times he short arms the pass-pro. I wonder about him dealing with a true speed edge rusher. I know he's got some bulk and looks robust. I think he can move fairly well for his size, probably works with the scheme, but not my ideal choice.

What's the consensus on the other Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews?

True Junior, is there a compelling reason why he'd enter the draft and leave A&M early? - I'm thinking right now he might stay for his Senior year, I assume graduate.

If he came out I'd expect someone to take him in the 1st.

I mean I like him, sinks into his hips in pass-pro but still remains upright, arched back, can slide pretty well, looks like a good athlete. I don't know if I'm blown away by him, Joeckel seems more sudden moving to me. I think JM uses his hands well, jolts guys well at first contact.

_

Just some things that I seem to perceive about both guys.

3rd- Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee

This is picky, but just wanted to point out that we've moved Dallas inside to LG this year. I've noticed that most sites are still listing him as OT.

Posted this earlier in the thread:

But one quick point - we kicked Dallas Thomas inside to LG this year to make room for Tiny (Antonio) Richardson at LT. He's only a Sophomore, but from what I've read he's been far and away the most impressive OL and beat Dallas outright for LT. I have a friend I went to school with inside the athletic dept. that told me "you will definitely be seeing this kid play on Sundays" (FWIW).

edit: but FWIW, the change looks to have served Dallas well. (but of course we'll know more this weekend v. Florida)

I'm very well aware he's at LG, still think he's a better OT than G

That wasn't meant to insult, was just trying to clarify. I guess we kind of disagree; I think he looks a lot more natural/comfortable this year at G *shrugs. He seems to have liked the transition as well. I'm anxious to see how he plays against SEC D-lines though.

That wasn't meant to insult, was just trying to clarify. I guess we kind of disagree; I think he looks a lot more natural/comfortable this year at G *shrugs. He seems to have liked the transition as well. I'm anxious to see how he plays against SEC D-lines though.

Sorry if that came off as being offended, tough semester for me and I've been more on edge lately

Sorry if that came off as being offended, tough semester for me and I've been more on edge lately

No problem buddy. I remember the feeling all too well lol.

I always loved this quote:

You have four years to be irresponsible here. Relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember time you wasted hanging out with your friends. So, stay out late. Go out on a Tuesday with your friends when you have a paper due Wednesday. Spend money you don't have. Drink 'til sunrise. The work never ends, but college does...

Enjoy it while it lasts. Hope you have a great semester :cheers:

Only problem with Clady and Long is that they'll both probably get the top 2 contracts for any tackle, let alone a right tackle. Realistically our line was pretty decent against a Saints' defense that should be pretty good at pass rushing. Not great by any means, but this line may work without major retooling, too early to tell.

After watching some USC, I gotta say I love their rb's as a fit for our offense. Curtis McNeal would be my target, as he is currently listed as a late round rb, but he has just so much wiggle in his running, seems tough to bring down despite his size and that reminds me of Portis, but McNeal is a long-strider and upright runner compared to how Portis ran.

Honestly wish coach would return Helu back to starter, as I think he's the most talented and versatile, and it's not like he was unproductive last season. I'm a little baffled by why Morris is starting. Not saying he's bad by any means, but I wonder if he is a spaceholder for when the other rb's get healthy, or if Shanahan really sees him as a better fit; because to me he seems to really lack burst and creativity in his running, but willingly lowers his shoulder to hammer out an extra yard.

But finding a TE like that isn't easy at all. Clady is not likely considering the money he'll want. Talib is the most likely of the bunch

Clady wants 8 million a year, in the frontend of the contract. Anything is possible. Next Eitfer from ND is the perfect example and Ertz from Stanford too.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 08:39 AM ----------

Only problem with Clady and Long is that they'll both probably get the top 2 contracts for any tackle, let alone a right tackle. Realistically our line was pretty decent against a Saints' defense that should be pretty good at pass rushing. Not great by any means, but this line may work without major retooling, too early to tell.

After watching some USC, I gotta say I love their rb's as a fit for our offense. Curtis McNeal would be my target, as he is currently listed as a late round rb, but he has just so much wiggle in his running, seems tough to bring down despite his size and that reminds me of Portis, but McNeal is a long-strider and upright runner compared to how Portis ran.

Honestly wish coach would return Helu back to starter, as I think he's the most talented and versatile, and it's not like he was unproductive last season. I'm a little baffled by why Morris is starting. Not saying he's bad by any means, but I wonder if he is a spaceholder for when the other rb's get healthy, or if Shanahan really sees him as a better fit; because to me he seems to really lack burst and creativity in his running, but willingly lowers his shoulder to hammer out an extra yard.

This how I see it as to why Alfred is the starter. He wears a defense down. It's one thing to get 3 yards but when it takes 3 defenders to take him down it wears them down. Most of our offense is finesse. So to have a RB to be a bruiser is a nice touch or balancer to this offense. I think Alfred is plenty of a playmaker too. I seen 8 and 9 man fronts in week 1. He still got 96 yards. He would have had more if it wasn't for 2 holding calls. Helu can't carry it 28 times a game and last 4 weeks. Morris can. That's why he is starting. After defenses start to respect our passing game I can see Morris breaking off 20 yard runs.

I don't like the idea of dipping into FA all the time.

Only in the rare case that a need matches an immediate scheme fit.

I think out type of team, a young building team, should try to make our moves through the draft almost exclusively.

And if they do dabble in FA only target young up and coming FA and avoid paying top dollar for FA like Long/Clady.

I'd agree more on the OL side than DL though, right now I can't really see a reason to add more to the DL unless the value it presented was so much more than a CB/S/OL person

I really want another developmental 5 tech in the 3rd round or so, and there are some good ones, such as Jesse Williams from Alabama. But I am really intrigued by Margus Hunt, and given that he's from SMU, it wouldn't surprise me to see us look at him. Hunt has blocked FOURTEEN kicks in 3 seasons. He's 6'7, 275 pounds, so he'd be a tad light for our scheme though, but he'd be a deep reserve and would play ST, so there's time for him to bulk up to 290 or so, and he's 6'7, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

And frankly, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay the big money to bring in Ryan Clady if the negotiations with the Broncos fall through. We'd have the best 2 starting tackles in the NFL hands down. The cap penalty expires after next year, and we'll either knock Moss's 6m off our cap, or he'll come back at a reduced price. I agree with SmQ that we need more speed on offense, especially if Helu's injuries keep him from being a long-term contributor.

I really want another developmental 5 tech in the 3rd round or so, and there are some good ones, such as Jesse Williams from Alabama. But I am really intrigued by Margus Hunt, and given that he's from SMU, it wouldn't surprise me to see us look at him. Hunt has blocked FOURTEEN kicks in 3 seasons. He's 6'7, 275 pounds, so he'd be a tad light for our scheme though, but he'd be a deep reserve and would play ST, so there's time for him to bulk up to 290 or so, and he's 6'7, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I especially think that the a team should always look at options for the front seven every year. I would love if the the team could get another 3-4 DE and another pass rusher to backup and play along with Orakpo and Kerrigan in some situations.

Hunt sounds like a good prospect, but I have never heard of him until people up here mentioned him. I need to see him play before I get on his bandwagon.

Even at 290 he's pretty light for our scheme. Ours relies more on stuffing the run and/or collapsing the pocket for our stud OLB's to finish them off. 290 pounds could still be pretty damned useful (like with what the Giants do with Tuck), but he'd probably be viewed just a situational pass rusher only. That said, nothing wrong with some extra depth and talent there.

And frankly, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay the big money to bring in Ryan Clady if the negotiations with the Broncos fall through. We'd have the best 2 starting tackles in the NFL hands down. The cap penalty expires after next year, and we'll either knock Moss's 6m off our cap, or he'll come back at a reduced price. I agree with SmQ that we need more speed on offense, especially if Helu's injuries keep him from being a long-term contributor.

I'm fine with that idea. The fact is, with RG3's speed, and our new proclivity towards an option offense. Having two elite tackles gives us a lot more versatility to flip plays around and run them on both sides.

Archived