Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I don't see RG3 in Geno Smith. Smith doesn't have RG3's athletic tools nor his build. He's skinny and doesn't have RGIII's arm strength, playmaking ability, or athleticism IMO. I think his production is more gimmicky too.

I watched RGIII and thought "OMG, ELITE" the very first moment I laid eyes on him. I knew he was going top two after the Baylor game in week one and I argued so during that game, vociferously. I don't get that feeling from Smith.

Smith is good but he's a developmental talent and not a super prospect like RGIII. I think he could be a first rounder but I'd be surprised if he goes top 5.

---------- Post added September-16th-2012 at 01:10 AM ----------

Never really believed in Logan Thomas and VT as much as I wanted to. People seemed to go wild for Thomas but when you look at his production it is mediocre at best, I think VT and Thomas are both incredibly overrated and losing to Pitt kinda proves it. He is pretty much played himself out of the first round, he has all the potential in the world but he hasn't put anything to use lately.

I think wins and losses has very little bearing on Logan Thomas's draft stock. And if you're going to place the primary blame for today's loss on anyone, it's the run defense, not Thomas, who appeared to be VT's only offensive weapon.

Logan will be drafted based on his individual physical talent and his intangible evaluation. If anything, team success will work in his favor because he's going to have started for 10 win teams pretty much every year.

We've always known Logan was an unpolished, inexperienced passer and today didn't really illuminate anything new His stunning physical gifts remain.

I think it's still highly likely Logan goes into the first round when he declares. I do think his lack of development as a passer could keep him from going first overall. But his physical skill set and natural playmaking ability shouts first overall. Guys like that will only drop so far.

I think he'd benefit going back for his senior season, more than most. He could still be a first rounder on raw talent as a junior. But he could make himself an elite QB prospect by developing as a passer with a senior season.

That may be somewhat true Steve, but teams want a qb who will outplay their competition on the college level. It's not like Pitt was a powerhouse team and PLENTY of qb's have done more with less talent against better teams. Barkley had a rough go at it today as well. My prediction at this point is neither of them go top 5. I realize qb's are highly valued by nfl teams, but this year there are MAYBE 2 or 3 teams in the market for a qb (though lol Browns if they go after yet another qb in the first two rounds), yet there are 5, maybe even 7, qb's who have solid 1st-early 2nd round grades, but none of them strike me as particularly elite qb's.

If Barkley or Thomas end up being the 4th qb selected, they could have quite a slide before being drafted.

My prediction at this point is neither of them go top 5.

I'm predicting these teams to be the top 5 in the draft next year (in no particular order).

Oakland Raiders

Cleveland Browns

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

Indianapolis Colts

At least 3 of those teams are going to want to select a QB in the 1st round. Even if Barkley has a down year, one of these teams is going to draft him or if Smith rebounds, a team could take a flyer on him or even move up to get him.

I have a feeling that next year is going to be a big year for Defensive players but that shouldn't eliminate the fact that teams that will be in the top 5 will be there because of crappy QB play and need to fix that one way or another.

I'm predicting these teams to be the top 5 in the draft next year (in no particular order).

Oakland Raiders

Cleveland Browns

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

Indianapolis Colts

See, I guess it really depends who we think will go top 5. Personally I think Buffalo and Oakland will play well enough to not be top 5. My top 5, in no order, is:

Miami

Indy

Cleveland

Cinci

St Louis

I know the Cinci call will raise eye brows, but I don't think they're near as talented as many broadcasters gush about. The only teams I see them beating are Cleveland (x2) and Miami. Of course they'll probably win another game here or there, but I think their record will be 5-11 at best.

In that case, Miami, Indy, and St Louis likely aren't going qb, and cinci may not either. Who knows, maybe the Rams lose patience with Bradford and you get a Rivers-Brees situation and Cinci decides a top qb is much more physically talented than Dalton. Either way, and I know qb's get overdrafted regardless, but if this group of qb's was in last year's class, MAYBE matt barkley goes over tannehill at 8th, but I have my doubts.

Either way, and I know qb's get overdrafted regardless, but if this group of qb's was in last year's class, MAYBE matt barkley goes over tannehill at 8th, but I have my doubts.

I think in the right situation and system Barkley can be a good NFL QB. But I just don't see him as a top 10 draft pick, or even maybe a first round pick at all. When I watch him I see a guy who has a good enough but not great arm, good accuracy short and medium but questionable deep ball accuracy, decent but not great athletic ability. His mechanics and footwork are sound and he has decent pocket presence but again not great.

In short I just see Barkley as a good but not great QB. I see him as a good 2nd round prospect but if I was a GM I would not rate him as a first round pick let alone a top 5 pick. He will probably go first round and maybe even top 10 but to me that will be a reach.

I agree with you Martin. Barkley is a pretty average QB from a physical standpoint. He reminds me of Mark Sanchez in some ways, thought he's not the downfield thrower and playmaker Sanchez was, and he's a lesser athlete with lesser arm strength than Sanchez.

But from a size, intangible makeup, college background standpoint, they seem extremely similar. Because of all that, I think he'll go in the first round. He's a four year starter with a ton of experience playing at a high level.

Mark Sanchez was thought of as a middle first QB that ended up going top 5 because of his position. Then again, superior physical talent to Barkley and more of a gamer/playmaker. Still, if Eli Manning can go first overall in that loaded 2004 draft class, couldn't Barkley at least go top ten?

----------

LB, there will be some teams that don't seem like they're in the market for a QB that will be in line for one in April. Teams will also trade up for a QB they like.

Also, I don't think Logan Thomas will have a knock of being a loser because he'll probably have 20+ wins on his record if he comes out this year, 30+ if he comes out next. He's 13-4 as a starter right now.

How high he goes will depend on how much growth as a pocket passer he demonstrates from now until his draft day. Right now I think you still see an athlete playing QB rather than a QB who happens to be an athlete.

--------

Why did Clemson rush the field after beating Furman? That's pretty embarrassing.

For anyone watching the USC/Standford game tonite, hope you were looking on the defensive side of the ball. S TJ McDonald and LB Shayne Skov should be available in the 2nd round next year.

We're still 8 months away from the draft, but I hope we go OL in the 2nd round. It will probably be BPA for Shanahan at a few positions they are targetting, but I still think we need OL help.

What is Tyler Wilson's eligibility status? Is he a junior or a senior? He's 23 and has been at Arkansas for 5 years but I see him having JR status on a few websites. Maybe they're not up to date?

---------- Post added September-16th-2012 at 09:44 AM ----------

Also, does anyone know what illness Wilson suffered to get his medical redshirt his first year?

We're still 8 months away from the draft, but I hope we go OL in the 2nd round. It will probably be BPA for Shanahan at a few positions they are targetting, but I still think we need OL help.

Honestly outside of RT, I'd have to disagree with you there. We have those guys to take over at LG/C/RG but they just aren't ready this year

Steve, I don't disagree on teams not caring about his win/loss, but Thomas, for his career, has neither dominated by running nor passing the ball. For all his physical gifts, he is very mediocre at football. His best game rushing is only 70 yards, and he did have a spectacular day throwing against miami, but that is the only time he's thrown for over 300 yards. Cam had 8 games with over 300 yards total offense, Logan has just 4 despite throwing the ball 40% more than Cam did.

Don't know where else to put this, but my frustration with the replacement refs is at a maximum. They are unacceptable and I think it's disgraceful the league has let it come to this.

They couldn't control this game. The level of dirty play from the Rams was disgusting and the refs couldn't keep the game in hand. The Rams just ran wild. I'd say I've never seen anything like it before but the exact same thing happened in the Eagles Ravens game earlier in the day. This was thug ball.

Player safety is absolutely an issue with these guys calling games.

Don't know where else to put this, but my frustration with the replacement refs is at a maximum. They are unacceptable and I think it's disgraceful the league has let it come to this.

They couldn't control this game. The level of dirty play from the Rams was disgusting and the refs couldn't keep the game in hand. The Rams just ran wild. I'd say I've never seen anything like it before but the exact same thing happened in the Eagles Ravens game earlier in the day. This was thug ball.

Player safety is absolutely an issue with these guys calling games.

Everyone was disgusted by the game. Even if we won I would be disgusted by it. I expect 3 or more Rams to get fined this coming week. It's awesome that the nfl, a multi-billion dollar corporation, is this stingy with cash. I don't know why they wouldn't want to keep it the status quo instead of drastically changing a ref's lifestyle with their full-time demands.

Everyone was disgusted by the game. Even if we won I would be disgusted by it. I expect 3 or more Rams to get fined this coming week. It's awesome that the nfl, a multi-billion dollar corporation, is this stingy with cash. I don't know why they wouldn't want to keep it the status quo instead of drastically changing a ref's lifestyle with their full-time demands.

The full-time stuff isn't really what people think it is. The NFL wants a small crew of full-time officials to handle some things and to train new refs. The rest could keep being lawyers and ****.

But the point you make stands.

The level of discontent with the refs is really growing and the media is starting to raise their voices about it. This has got to be bad for business right?

It looks like sheer greed is the reason the league hasn't settled this. We've come to find out the old refs were indispensable. If this strike lasts and the quality of games keeps plummeting, the image of the NFL will be tarnished. People want to watch a violent, physical sport but they also want to maintain the balance (illusion?) of sportsmanship, and professionalism. They don't want to watch an actual vicious fight. They don't want to watch a bunch of thugs, cheaters, or bullies tee off.

The NFL is king for today, but they've really screwed some stuff up that will hurt the long term future of the league. The slew of long term neurological injuries, the ref debacle, illegal collusion, a perception of runaway greed with the owners, nationwide decline in gameday experience. It doesn't help the sport as a whole that there is all kinds of scandal at the college level and fewer parents let their kids play the game at the youth level every year. It wouldn't surprise me if in 50 years, the NFL was either a niche sport or football was a radically changed game.

After yesterday's game, I have to think that DL depth (and/or a possible edge rusher to replace Orakpo if he can't stay on the field) has now risen to near the top of our list of priorities next offseason).

Overall (no particular order):

DL

CB/S

ILB

OT

Very disappointed with the defensive performance (not sure how much of that was coaching vs. personnel)

After yesterday's game, I have to think that DL depth (and/or a possible edge rusher to replace Orakpo if he can't stay on the field) has now risen to near the top of our list of priorities next offseason).

Overall (no particular order):

DL

CB/S

ILB

OT

Very disappointed with the defensive performance (not sure how much of that was coaching vs. personnel)

I'd rather throw wr on that list. I don't know if it was just RG3's inexperience, but he would buy time and still have no one to throw to. I'm guessing our receivers just weren't getting open. Plus I'm firmly for Josh Morgan not being in the burgundy and gold as soon as possible.

The DL depth is one of our strengths I dont understand how you can say thats on the top 4 you have. Only unless you are saying we need another game changer at DL which I can agree with

I think we have a good group on the D'Line but no one elite. However I would agree with you that DL is one of relative strengths on defense. I would say our needs are

RT

CB

S

OG

ILB (replacement for Fletch who HAS to slow down at some point)

We also have to make a decision on Fred Davis who is out of contract at the end of this year. He does not seem to to be a big part of the offense this year - though its a small sample size - so its going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

I would say RT, CB and S are clearly the top needs we have right now - and I would put CB and S ahead of RT at the moment.

I think one thing that's really being overlooked is that RGIII doesn't seem to have much help as far as outlets go. Fred Davis has been very disappointing to me right now. Griff is completing his medium throws and is hitting deep and scrambling well, but I don't see him consistently being able to dump off to the TE or RB and see significant results. I still think an outlet option that can take it to the house opens up the whole offense.

That said, Reggie Bush has now priced himself out of my FA plans. Look at the impact that he and Spiller are having. We need to put one of those guys on the field with RGIII.

Anybody in the Bush/Spiller mold that's a sort of under the radar and we can get at a bargain price? Ben Tate? But he doesn't seem like a good receiver out of the backfield, let alone a guy like Sproles or Bush that can split out and run the entire route tree. Helu can be that guy if he gets healthy, but will he?

It would be nice to have an offensive speed merchant like that in the backfield.

That's a guy you are probably going to have to draft.

Anyone see Trent Richardson play this weekend? He's incredible. Worth a top five pick iMO. He's breaking the same kind of tackles in the NFL that he did in college. Imagine if we had a weapon like that. Well, probably no one else is going to have a weapon like that for quite some time. But regardless, the big backs with speed and wiggle at South Carolina and Arkansas get a little more appealing when I watch Trent Richardson play.

All of that said, I'm really satisfied with the play of Alfred Morris thus far.

In the receiver corps, I think Aldrick Robinson is a potential star in the making. He's demonstrated clear ability to take the top off of a defense and it's only a matter of time before he and RGIII get on the same page IMO. RGIII missed him completely open down field once and then he dropped that other bomb. If those two plays get made then Aldrick and RGIII have a monster day. I think those plays will come eventually.

If Aldrick and Garcon become heavily involved in the passing game, I won't be complaining about the speed and chunk play ability of our receivers any more.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

Speaking of backs, I see a bunch of good ones ranked in a second round range on cbssports.com/nfldraft

They've got Lattimore ranked 25th, Montee Ball ranked 54th, Leveon Bell ranked 61st, Knile Davis ranked 59th, Eddie Lacy ranked 89th, and Andre Ellington ranked 83rd.

That's somewhat inexplicable to me. The only way it makes sense is if you accept the RB position is majorly devalued but I'm not sure it's devalued to that extent.

If those rankings prove fairly accurate on draft day, I see a RB being the overwhelming BPA when we pick in the second round.

At that point, I think you have to seriously consider going BPA and pairing a special running back with RGIII. Lots of teams with franchise QBs have been pairing them top talent RBs to attempt to create a really potent back field. In Houston, it's worked to scary effect and I think it's only a matter of time before it happens in New Orleans with Brees and Ingram.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 04:46 PM ----------

Another thing that bears examination is the performance of our OL in yesterday's game.

For one thing, thank goodness Michael Brockers didn't play. Our guys absolutely had their hands full with Chris Long and Robert Quinn. That DL is going to be impossible when those three players round into form.

I'd be more worried about Trent getting beaten a handful of times by Robert Quinn and giving up the false start if I didn't remember evaluating Quinn myself and concluding he was going to be the most physically gifted pass rusher in the NFL. He is, even more so than JPP or Aldon Smith. He's like a more powerful DeMarcus Ware. Had Quinn ranked as the second best prospect in that draft class for most of the year and it looks like that ranking is going to be prescient.

Long is a hoss, we all knew that. Polumbus did the best he could against him but he's not going to win that matchup. Given the circumstances, I thought he played fairly well and RGIII did a good job of taking some of the pressure off him because of the ease he can break away from pressure and the pocket. Because of that ability, getting an elite pass protector at RT will probably never be an imperative. But it would be nice to get a real impact blocker in the running game.

To that end, right now my wishlist for that second round pick looks like this:

1.) Taylor Lewin

2.) Marcus Lattimore

3.) Knile Davis

4.) Montee Ball

Archived