Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

It would be nice to have an offensive speed merchant like that in the backfield.

That's a guy you are probably going to have to draft.

Anyone see Trent Richardson play this weekend? He's incredible. Worth a top five pick iMO. He's breaking the same kind of tackles in the NFL that he did in college. Imagine if we had a weapon like that. Well, probably no one else is going to have a weapon like that for quite some time. But regardless, the big backs with speed and wiggle at South Carolina and Arkansas get a little more appealing when I watch Trent Richardson play.

All of that said, I'm really satisfied with the play of Alfred Morris thus far.

In the receiver corps, I think Aldrick Robinson is a potential star in the making. He's demonstrated clear ability to take the top off of a defense and it's only a matter of time before he and RGIII get on the same page IMO. RGIII missed him completely open down field once and then he dropped that other bomb. If those two plays get made then Aldrick and RGIII have a monster day. I think those plays will come eventually.

If Aldrick and Garcon become heavily involved in the passing game, I won't be complaining about the speed and chunk play ability of our receivers any more.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

Speaking of backs, I see a bunch of good ones ranked in a second round range on cbssports.com/nfldraft

They've got Lattimore ranked 25th, Montee Ball ranked 54th, Leveon Bell ranked 61st, Knile Davis ranked 59th, Eddie Lacy ranked 89th, and Andre Ellington ranked 83rd.

That's somewhat inexplicable to me. The only way it makes sense is if you accept the RB position is majorly devalued but I'm not sure it's devalued to that extent.

If those rankings prove fairly accurate on draft day, I see a RB being the overwhelming BPA when we pick in the second round.

At that point, I think you have to seriously consider going BPA and pairing a special running back with RGIII. Lots of teams with franchise QBs have been pairing them top talent RBs to attempt to create a really potent back field. In Houston, it's worked to scary effect and I think it's only a matter of time before it happens in New Orleans with Brees and Ingram.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 04:46 PM ----------

Another thing that bears examination is the performance of our OL in yesterday's game.

For one thing, thank goodness Michael Brockers didn't play. Our guys absolutely had their hands full with Chris Long and Robert Quinn. That DL is going to be impossible when those three players round into form.

I'd be more worried about Trent getting beaten a handful of times by Robert Quinn and giving up the false start if I didn't remember evaluating Quinn myself and concluding he was going to be the most physically gifted pass rusher in the NFL. He is, even more so than JPP or Aldon Smith. He's like a more powerful DeMarcus Ware. Had Quinn ranked as the second best prospect in that draft class for most of the year and it looks like that ranking is going to be prescient.

Long is a hoss, we all knew that. Polumbus did the best he could against him but he's not going to win that matchup. Given the circumstances, I thought he played fairly well and RGIII did a good job of taking some of the pressure off him because of the ease he can break away from pressure and the pocket. Because of that ability, getting an elite pass protector at RT will probably never be an imperative. But it would be nice to get a real impact blocker in the running game.

To that end, right now my wishlist for that second round pick looks like this:

1.) Taylor Lewin

2.) Marcus Lattimore

3.) Knile Davis

4.) Montee Ball

Ellington would be the best out of all of them. Need speed and explosion.

The DL depth is one of our strengths I dont understand how you can say thats on the top 4 you have. Only unless you are saying we need another game changer at DL which I can agree with

It is one of the Giant's strengths year in and year out but they continue to bolster it and have rings to back up their strategy.

Orakpo and Carriker's early season injuries (not to mention Nield's to a much lesser extent) are just reinforcing my opinion on the importance of drafting DL.

Another game changer would be awesome, but I'm not sure we're in a position in 2013 or 2014 to do that considering we no longer have 1st round picks in those years.

I think we have a good group on the D'Line but no one elite. However I would agree with you that DL is one of relative strengths on defense. I would say our needs are

RT

CB

S

OG

ILB (replacement for Fletch who HAS to slow down at some point)

We also have to make a decision on Fred Davis who is out of contract at the end of this year. He does not seem to to be a big part of the offense this year - though its a small sample size - so its going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

I would say RT, CB and S are clearly the top needs we have right now - and I would put CB and S ahead of RT at the moment.

I think you pretty well nailed it.

I think one thing that's really being overlooked is that RGIII doesn't seem to have much help as far as outlets go. Fred Davis has been very disappointing to me right now. Griff is completing his medium throws and is hitting deep and scrambling well, but I don't see him consistently being able to dump off to the TE or RB and see significant results. I still think an outlet option that can take it to the house opens up the whole offense.

That said, Reggie Bush has now priced himself out of my FA plans. Look at the impact that he and Spiller are having. We need to put one of those guys on the field with RGIII.

I don't think you can fault Fred Davis for not being targeted often in this scheme.

I don't see how you can find a 'reggie bush' type player outside of the 1st round.

And even Spiller/Bush he took awhile to become 'playmakers'.

Again, I think playmakers emerge and imo drafting a player with the expectation that they're a immediate 'playmaker' is a recipe for dissappointment.

Davis was tied for the lead in targets this week.

I would agree that normally, the type of x-factor offensive playmakers we're talking about are found in the first round. Harvin, Best, Bush, Spiller. Cobb may be an exception, as well as Sproles but that was in a time when a player of his skills was less valued. McCluster was an attempt at a similar player, but he's not really what I'm looking for.

I think Denard Robinson may be an exception in that if you're comfortable with your projection of him as an explosive talent from the RB/WR/KR/PR positions, you may be able to get him later than your normal player of that skill-set....precisely BECAUSE he isn't proven in those categories. I could easily see him available in the 2nd to early 3rd. It all depends on how comfortable you are with his questions marks.

I don't think you can fault Fred Davis for not being targeted often in this scheme.

I don't see how you can find a 'reggie bush' type player outside of the 1st round.

And even Spiller/Bush he took awhile to become 'playmakers'.

Again, I think playmakers emerge and imo drafting a player with the expectation that they're a immediate 'playmaker' is a recipe for dissappointment.

You're right about Spiller and Bush taking a while to emerge.

What about guys like Trent Richardson and Ray Rice and Chris Johnson though? They're very different stylistically from each other and from Bush/Spiller but it seems like they emerged quickly as playmakers. I know it's only one game in Richardson's case, but man if he didn't look like one of the most powerful weapons in the game in it, suggesting he's going to have a bright season and bright career.

You're probably right that you're not going to find a top tier playmaking running back outside the first round too often. Richardson obviously went very high and Johnson was a first rounder. Arian Foster and Ray Rice look like anomalies and not a realistic expectation. I'm looking at recent draft classes, and for all the talk of the RB position being devalued, it looks like the special looking ones are sill generally going in the first round:

2012:

- Trent Richardson

- Doug Martin

- David Wilson

2011:

- Mark Ingram

(Ryan Williams and Mikel Leshoure did fall into the second round though)

2010:

- Spiller

- Ryan Mathews (didn't think he was a high first round talent myself)

- Jahvid Best

2009:

- Knowshon Moreno

- Donald Brown (thought he was a reach too)

- Beanie Wells

2008:

- Darren McFadden

- Jonathan Stewart

- Felix Jones

- Rashard Mendenhall

- Chris Johnson

2007:

- Adrian Peterson

- Marshawn Lynch

But having just glanced at the running back rankings for this year, I'm impressed with the caliber of talent being ranked as second or third rounders. The fact that LeVeon Bell and Montee Ball are being projected as second rounders is astonishing to me. I have a hard time coming up with many players who would be bigger talents than them in the second round. A back like one of them could go off in our offense, early in their careers too IMO. And there is seemingly a good chance they'd be there in the second round.

Would you pull the trigger on those backs in the second? I don't think they'd be a recipe for disappointment.

Davis was tied for the lead in targets this week.
You're right that Davis has been targeted often enough.

But, to me its clear that the type of targets he's receiving this year indicate that he's not nearly the focal point he's been in recent years.

And in light of Davis past couple years where's he's been a top 10 or higher TE I doubt that he's suddenly become a less effective player as opposed to being a less featured player.

I would agree that normally, the type of x-factor offensive playmakers we're talking about are found in the first round. Harvin, Best, Bush, Spiller. Cobb may be an exception, as well as Sproles but that was in a time when a player of his skills was less valued. McCluster was an attempt at a similar player, but he's not really what I'm looking for.

I think Denard Robinson may be an exception in that if you're comfortable with your projection of him as an explosive talent from the RB/WR/KR/PR positions, you may be able to get him later than your normal player of that skill-set....precisely BECAUSE he isn't proven in those categories. I could easily see him available in the 2nd to early 3rd. It all depends on how comfortable you are with his questions marks.

Even looking at the players you listed above how many have proven themselves to be playmakers (much less immediate playmakers?). Imo Harvin is the only player of that group that is considered a playmaker and displayed that ability right away.

I question whether the rest other then Spiller are even considered playmakers and Spiller was a 1st round pick IIRC and was considered a dissappointment in many football media circles. (btw I love Spiller)

All I'm saying is that drafting a player with the idea that their position will be 'playmaker' isn't a draft strategy I would adopt, especially outside of the 1st round and in a role that player is foreign to playing.

I would prefer to draft BPA at a position of need and not chase after a particular position/player.

Ellington would be the best out of all of them. Need speed and explosion.

I like Ellington. He's definitely a burner in the open field. But I don't think speed is the only thing or even the most important thing that determines playmaking ability for running backs. Most of these guys have the ability to run away from defenses when they've got a chance. Outside of Chris Johnson and Darren McFadden, very few have speed that's just on a whole different level. Outside of Reggie Bush, very few have balance and agility that's on a whole different level. But you still have a bunch of backs that have the ability to create for themselves and get chunk plays pretty regularly and dig your offense out of holes.

In fact, if you look at the state of the NFL right now, Arian Foster, Ray Rice, and LeSean McCoy are probably the best backs in the league at the moment right? I don't remember their specific combine numbers, but I don't think any of them lit the world on fire with their speed.

Anyway, I like Marcus Lattimore a lot more than Ellington and would draft him over Ellington for sure. I like LeVeon Bell and Montee Ball over Ellington too. And while I haven't seen a ton of Knile Davis, everything I've heard of him impresses me and it sounds like he's a better prospect than Ellington.

All I'm saying is that drafting a player with the idea that their position will be 'playmaker' isn't a draft strategy I would adopt, especially outside of the 1st round and in a role that player is foreign to playing.

I would prefer to draft BPA at a position of need and not chase after a particular position/player.

I think I see what you're saying.

"Playmaker" is not a position, it's a quality a player has that often takes a while to develop/emerge. Is that accurate?

If that's what you mean, I agree with you. Playmaking typically gets tied to speed, and with good reason, so maybe people think they're getting an immediate playmaker when they get a fast player but it could be that he'll need a while to develop the other parts of his game to unleash that playmaking ability.

But I think playmaking is another way of saying "guy who can create for himself" either at QB, WR, TE, or RB. And I think it's an independent variable from speed. For instance, Arian Foster and Larry Fitzgerald are tremendous playmakers that create big plays for themselves despite neither having elite speed.

Although I shouldn't limit playmaking to just the skill positions because clearly defenders and offensive linemen can be players who have disproportionately high individual impact on the game.

Haven't started looking at players too closely yet but who are the top FS and will they be available in the 2nd?

The Top FS right now IMO is Eric Reid from LSU he's a top 20 pick. After that you have a good mix of guys who are 2nd-3rd round FS/SS types. Matt Elam from Florida, Micah Hyde from Iowa, Kenny Vaccaro from Texas, TJ McDonald from USC

Haven't started looking at players too closely yet but who are the top FS and will they be available in the 2nd?

Just going off CBS' rankings, it looks like these are the top ranked safeties for this year:

- Eric Reid, LSU

- TJ McDonald, USC

- Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

- Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

- John Lester, Alabama

- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

- Shawn Williams, Georgia

Right now, they've got McDonald and Reid rated as first rounders but it looks like everyone else is rated second round or later.

Personally, I like what I've seen from DJ Swearinger out of South Carolina, who they have ranked as a mid rounder. I really like Bacarri Rambo and I'm extremely impressed with Eric Reid. It's easy to see why he's getting first round burn. I've also seen some Kenny Vaccaro and he's looked good. It looks like a good safety class.

Ray Ray Armstrong got kicked out of Miami, so he'll have off field concerns, but his talent definitely pops when you watch him play. Could be a late round option because he can make plays.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 07:52 PM ----------

The Top FS right now IMO is Eric Reid from LSU he's a top 20 pick. After that you have a good mix of guys who are 2nd-3rd round FS/SS types. Matt Elam from Florida, Micah Hyde from Iowa, Kenny Vaccaro from Texas, TJ McDonald from USC

What do you think about Baccari Rambo?

Ray Ray is ineligible at the NAIA school IIRC so he's not even playing this year. Definitely a huge waste of talent.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 07:58 PM ----------

I forgot about Rambo actually on that list, but I mean he's a good S, but he's not the next great S like some are claiming him to be. He's a solid guy who will get turnovers, but also is overhyped

Would you pull the trigger on those backs in the second? I don't think they'd be a recipe for disappointment.
Oh, i hear yah.

You're talking to a guy who's favorite player in the NFL is a RB (AP) but, for this team I wouldn't draft a RB in the 2nd round.

I think/speculate that Kyle views this offense through the eyes of the QB+WRs and will always at heart be a passing focused playcaller and there is nothing wrong with that.

Not a value judgement but an observation^^

And, I don't believe a great runner can flourish without a coach focused on their success.

And historically Bobby+Mike have a good track record of finding productive backs in this system in the middle to late rounds.

Also, I like our current stable of backs and think we would have a greater bump in team benefit through addressing areas more in need of replacement/upgrade then RB.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 08:19 PM ----------

....."Playmaker" is not a position, it's a quality a player has that often takes a while to develop/emerge. Is that accurate? {Yep} ......But I think playmaking is another way of saying "guy who can create for himself" either at QB, WR, TE, or RB. And I think it's an independent variable from speed. For instance, Arian Foster and Larry Fitzgerald are tremendous playmakers that create big plays for themselves despite neither having elite speed.

Although I shouldn't limit playmaking to just the skill positions because clearly defenders and offensive linemen can be players who have disproportionately high individual impact on the game.

Yep, this made me think of Fletcher that dude is a playmaker.

You need an INT to stop a drive and keep you in the ball game?

You absolutely need a turnover to give your offense another chance?

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 08:21 PM ----------

Just going off CBS' rankings, it looks like these are the top ranked safeties for this year:

- Eric Reid, LSU

- TJ McDonald, USC

- Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

- Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

- John Lester, Alabama

- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

- Shawn Williams, Georgia

Right now, they've got McDonald and Reid rated as first rounders but it looks like everyone else is rated second round or later.

Personally, I like what I've seen from DJ Swearinger out of South Carolina, who they have ranked as a mid rounder. I really like Bacarri Rambo and I'm extremely impressed with Eric Reid. It's easy to see why he's getting first round burn. I've also seen some Kenny Vaccaro and he's looked good. It looks like a good safety class.

Ray Ray Armstrong got kicked out of Miami, so he'll have off field concerns, but his talent definitely pops when you watch him play. Could be a late round option because he can make plays.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 07:52 PM ----------

Thanks, fellas.

I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for these guys.

I'm interested in S because I think a good safety play is ultra important in modern NFL defenses.

And getting that position stabilized will go a long way to building a better defensive unit.

But, man its hard to judge S from TV feed.

DJ Swearinger love the name.

I think you're right DG that Kyle is pass first, and that trend might become more pronounced as RGIII grows as a passer and weapon.

But I also think Kyle and Mike have been fairly adaptive in adjusting to some of their personnel. I look at all of the pistol that was added to the offense for RGIII and it suggests to me they can be flexible and innovative. If they went out and got a big, creative workhorse like LeVeon Bell or a scoring machine like Montee Ball, I think they would use them. They've shown some willingness to give Morris a bunch of carries, so I think there could be room for that prototype workhorse in the offense.

Morris has been consistently impressive so far and I'm in no rush to go out and replace him or upgrade him. But if Bell or Ball were just sitting there in the second at our pick, they'd be really hard for me to pass up. I wouldn't chase the position in the draft or FA though.

I also agree with you DG that the short term net gain of upgrading our backs is unlikely to have as big a gain as upgrading the OL or secondary. But long term, pairing a great RB with a great QB can be a nice offensive staple you can use as your foundation for several years, sort of like what we see from Baltimore, Houston, and Philly.

I think you're right DG that Kyle is pass first, and that trend might become more pronounced as RGIII grows as a passer and weapon.

But I also think Kyle and Mike have been fairly adaptive in adjusting to some of their personnel. I look at all of the pistol that was added to the offense for RGIII and it suggests to me they can be flexible and innovative. If they went out and got a big, creative workhorse like LeVeon Bell or a scoring machine like Montee Ball, I think they would use them. They've shown some willingness to give Morris a bunch of carries, so I think there could be room for that prototype workhorse in the offense.

Kyle pass focus is a decided departure from the typical pass/run balance of this scheme (Denver/Texans Mike Shanahan WCO). KS=60/40 vs Everyone else=50/50

Kyle is running a cutting edge offense and I give him kudos for that but even in a game where the Morris was gashing the Rams he only had 16 carries.

When we were saddled with imo far worse QB (Wrecks/Becks) play then RB play yet still finished with a lopsided pass/run ratio.

Although I would pleasanlty surprised to see a shift towards a run focus I don't think that will happen with Kyle anymore then it would with any other pass focused playcaller.

I think we've only scratched the surface of the potential of our trio of backs.

And I think when healhty each back is capable of 100+ yards a game given 20+ carries.

But I think the opportunities for 20+ carries isn't going to happen very often. (I hope I'm dead wrong btw)

But long term, pairing a great RB with a great QB can be a nice offensive staple you can use as your foundation for several years, sort of like what we see from Baltimore, Houston, and Philly
Oh, I agree but I don't think that's gonna happen without a paradigm shift in playcalling and those backs could be on the team right now or found in the middle rounds.

I'm actually becoming a big fan of Le'Veon Bell. I'm starting to like him a lot.

MSU uses some zone stretch - Bell scored a TD vs Boise ST, at the goalline, in such a play. He just made one cut and into the endzone. He's even taken the handoff "mesh point," from the shotgun alignment.

I caught up on some LeVeon Bell and was blown away, frankly. I think he's competing with Lattimore for "most talented back in the class."

He's being projected in a second round range right now but I have a hard time seeing him fall out of the first round.

The physical attributes are immediately impressive. He's got an enormous trunk and you see him push the pile and drive with ease. It takes a village to bring him down and he makes picking up the tough yards look so easy. He's got a patient, evasive running style but because of his natural size and power, he's not going to get a lot of negative runs even when he strings them out. I see some physical similarity with Michael Turner and LeGarrette Blount, but Bell has a somewhat unique build. Similar size to Blount in terms of height and weight, but Bell carries his weight in his lower body more like Michael Turner whereas Blount is distributed more evenly.

The speed is also impressive and he runs away from defenders for chunk gains with surprising ease.

But the thing that impressed me the most about Bell is his natural creativity. He's got the elusiveness of a scat back and just creates for himself so naturally, particularly when he's still in the backfield.

I kind of liken it to the stature and composure and vision that RG3 demonstrates--these guys are such superior physical mismatches they play with complete fearlessness and poise.

Another thing I liked seeing was he looked pretty good against blitz pickup in the Boise St. game. If he shows some ability to catch the ball, He'd be a complete back that can play just about every down.

44 carries for 200+ yards against Boise St. is ridiculous. The true workhorse is a dying breed but Bell fits the mold. Draft him and he'll carry your offense and get you yards when you desperately need them. I'm really excited about this back, so far he's my favorite after Lattimore, and I'm putting him high on my wishlist.

Also, I think Bell would be a really nice fit in our running scheme because of he can create off of outside zone runs or chug the ball inside with equal ability.

---------- Post added September-18th-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

One guy that is just about the opposite of Bell, in terms of size and ground/pound is Ellington, whom I'm still fond of, but different type of role, different style RB to Bell.

Yeah, I caught up on Ellington too. I'm not as impressed by him as I was with Bell, but I still came away liking what I saw.

The first thing that jumps out at me about Ellington is his speed and acceleration. It's truly rare. His productivity as a runner is entirely based upon it and it's the thing that makes him special IMO. His balance looked pretty good, flashed on some of those runs where he breaks an open field tackle at the second level and beyond. In general though, I wasn't impressed with his ability to keep his feet after contact.

Ellington's speed gives him rare ability to take a run where he gets a big opening all of the way to the end zone. The speed puts pressure on the secondary and the acceleration gives him second life on plays to pick up extra yards.

I'd say my biggest problem is that he goes down too easily on contact and doesn't do a lot of creating for himself except in open space. In the open field, he's terrific, runs with great lean and CoD and acceleration, but touch him before he's gotten into that space and he'll go down. Even on desperation shoe string tackles guys like Ball, Bell, and Lattimore would laugh at. So you end up with a ton of 0, 1, and 2 yard carries out of Ellington mixed with some gigantic runs that fill out his yardage and YPC numbers. That's not particularly appealing to me. But the magnitude of the big plays when they come is appealing.

I think you're dead on Ellington doesn't have a future as a lead back and is a pure change of pace runner. I think he'll need to get stronger to be productive in the NFL. I'd put him behind Bell, Ball, and Lattimore for starters. Probably a few other guys I'll end up ranking over him after I review them more.

Spent a lil bit of time watching the available cut-ups of the following S:

Hall, McDonald, Rambo, Reid, Stafford, Swearinger, Vaccaro, Williams

Where are TJ McDonald, Eric Reid and Duke Williams projected to go?

Out of those 3 the only projected first rounder (at the moment) is, I believe, Eric Reid. TJ McDonald has a chance to move up with an impressive season and good workouts, right now I think he is pegged in the 2nd round. I have not heard much on Duke Williams.

Out of those 3 the only projected first rounder (at the moment) is, I believe, Eric Reid. TJ McDonald has a chance to move up with an impressive season and good workouts, right now I think he is pegged in the 2nd round. I have not heard much on Duke Williams.

Correct, Reid is the real only sure fire 1st rounder of that group. Guys like Rambo, McDonald all could make a play into the 1st round with a strong year and workouts. Haven't really seen a ton on Williams so I can't speculate on him

The Redskins need to trade up for a physical safety who can cover like Reid or McDonald. I'll bet both end up being taken in the first round, but if we can swap our second and something else for one of them in the first, I think it will be worth it. Then hopefully we can go out and sign a young speedy corner like DRC or Shields if they hit free agency.

I do not think Shields is likely, but DRC may be another story because of how much the Eagles spent last offseason. One can dream right? :fingersx:

Edit: Maybe Merriweather can return to form from his first couple years in the league and Tanard will be reinstated and we can have 2 relatively young veterans and a promising rookie to fill out the safety spots.

As far as corner I think we will also go after Talib who is a pretty good cover corner. Talib, Wilson, DRC, Hall, Crawford with something like BM, TJackson, Reid/McDonald, Gomes, Bernstine. This is way too early to be talking about, but I think we will be looking to upgrade the secondary big time when Raheem takes over.

Michael 'Duke' Williams
Correct, Reid is the real only sure fire 1st rounder of that group. Guys like Rambo, McDonald all could make a play into the 1st round with a strong year and workouts. Haven't really seen a ton on Williams so I can't speculate on him
I'm trying to watch the rest of the guys but if you askde me right now the guys I like the best are McDonald and Duke.
I thought they were the best tacklers both in form (bringing their arms) and in angles/pursuit.
Both seem to more well, Williams moves like a freakin missile.

Archived