Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raw Story: GOP Senate nominee: Women don’t get pregnant from ‘legitimate’ rapes

Burgold

Is this a paying gig? :ols:

the cluster of cells clearly communicate with each other and perform some neat tricks

self awareness (as generally defined) is not reached for a yr or two after birth

isn't self awareness or neurons firing a rather odd point to pick?

Any point would be an odd point to pick. However, in order to have laws, we need to put in place some kinds of rules.

How about we acknowledge a right to life of each unique combination of human DNA. So that we do not take away rights of the mother, we can freeze these until proper medical technology is available.

how do you know they are fundamentally unaware ?

Thought some people might find this interesting:

But when does the magical journey of consciousness begin? Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation. Roughly two months later synchrony of the electroencephalographic (EEG) rhythm across both cortical hemispheres signals the onset of global neuronal integration. Thus, many of the circuit elements necessary for consciousness are in place by the third trimester. By this time, preterm infants can survive outside the womb under proper medical care. And as it is so much easier to observe and interact with a preterm baby than with a fetus of the same gestational age in the womb, the fetus is often considered to be like a preterm baby, like an unborn newborn. But this notion disregards the unique uterine environment: suspended in a warm and dark cave, connected to the placenta that pumps blood, nutrients and hormones into its growing body and brain, the fetus is asleep.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-does-consciousness-arise

State Congressional candidate: 'Rape thing' not cause for abortion

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Koster-says-rape-thing-not-cause-for-abortion-176661851.html

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - A Republican congressional candidate says abortion should not be legal, even when it involves "the rape thing," according to audio provided Wednesday to The Associated Press.

An activist working on behalf of liberal group FUSE Washington asked questions of Republican hopeful John Koster during a Sunday fundraiser. Koster said he does not oppose abortion when the life of the mother is in danger but then explains he would oppose it when it involves rape or incest.

Koster twice uses the phrase "the rape thing" when describing his views, first saying that he knows a woman who was raped and gave up the child for adoption without any regrets.

"But on the rape thing, it's like, how does putting more violence onto a woman's body and taking the life of an innocent child that's a consequence of this crime, how does that make it better?" Koster said in the exchange.

a human...you?

'it might' is a really low bar

Ah, infallible humanity..

"it might" means it's not up to you.

Human or not.

The arrogance of someone who espouses government out of our lives saying that only his humanity qualifies him to make these decisions on behalf of others is galling.

But par for the course among you righties anymore..

~Bang

TWA,

"does it make it better?"

For those who equate carrying the fetus as a continuation of the assault upon their body, removing it at least ends the physical assault part of the rape. Carrying a baby to term has many long term/permanent impacts on a woman's body. These impacts could be physical reminders. Not having those for the rest of her life would qualify as better for many.

Just because it sort of belongs in this thread, did anyone catch this on CNN? http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/30/my-take-when-evangelicals-were-pro-choice/?hpt=hp_t3

Is the pro-life movement really the 40 year long child of Jerry Fallwell, he of the purple teletubby is gay and Muhammad was a terrorist fame who also said the 9-11 attacks were probably deserved because the abortionists, the feminists and the gays have tried to secularize America? Is the strife caused by moving the protestant churches from a Jewish reading of life begins at birth to a Catholic reading of life at conception really just his 40+ year gift to American politics and polarization?

Never doubt the power of continued preaching on TV.

Ah, infallible humanity..

"it might" means it's not up to you.

~Bang

Oh but it apparently IS up to me if you believe the fearmongering.

So which is it?

Empowering the individual starts with at least a token effort at protecting innocent life,w/o that it is a hollow shell

Gbear, I have no problem with a woman protecting herself, but a bystander dying does invite outside scrutiny w/o a clear threat .

I don't think you understand that the concept of 'choice' means that it's not YOUR choice to make for others.

~Bang

If I have no choice in the matter why is it a issue?

Don't you mean you wish to tell me what my choice is?....if you can tell me, then I can tell another

That is kind of you, do you feel the same about my other choices? :)

Sure! :evilg:

I also feel the same way about women's right to choose their method of exercising their reproductive freedom. I don't think that I have the right to tell them, legislate for them or by any other means try to control women's methods of reproductive freedom.

Archived