Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Peter King MMQB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/12/mmqb/index.html

Monday: Washington (Redskins Park, Ashburn, Va.)

Three football nuggets: Washington's counting on two secondary rejects -- Brandon Meriweather and Tanard Jackson -- "to help buttress" a good front seven. When the Redskins talk about how much the $36 million cap penalty imposed by the league hurts, the two spots I notice most are safety and the offensive line ... Four-way battle at running back. In time, I could see sixth-round pick Alfred Morris from Florida Atlantic winning the job -- if he blocks well. Good one-cut runner, improving receiver ... Last year's fifth-round pick, tight end Niles Paul from Nebraska, might be 6-foot-1 and just 233 pounds, but the coaches are high on his ability to be an above-average pass catcher on short and intermediate stuff, which will help Robert Griffin III when he's being pressured. From the looks of the offensive line, that will be early and often.

Many thoughts. Among them:

• I know mobility is a great attribute for a quarterback, particularly in a division when you're facing DeMarcus Ware, Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck each twice a year. But Griffin weighs 217 pounds. Getting him out on the flank so much, trying to make people miss, is a dangerous proposition.

• Before you argue, "Well, Cam Newton ran 128 times last year and he never got hurt,'' let me remind you that Newton's a full-grown thoroughbred and Griffin's a young colt. Griffin is not Newton. At 217 pounds, RGIII is 31 pounds lighter than Newton, and doesn't have the physical suit of armor Newton has. (And I would guarantee you the Panthers don't want Newton running it 128 times a year anyway; that's a sure-fire way to no more 16-game seasons for him.)

[...]Asked whether he feared being exposed to lots of hits this year, Griffin said: "I don't want to give away any secrets for the season ... I can't talk about how I'm going to be used during the season. Trying to keep that under wraps.''

I thought he weighed 223?

The van we're driving around the country in is courtesy of EvoShield, the protective-equipment manufacturer. It's got a huge photo of Griffin, one of their pad-wearers, on the side. When I saw Griffin Thursday night in Buffalo, I patted him on the side and wished him well. And there the rib-protectors were.

Memo to EvoShield: The world's watching. If Griffin runs 100 or so times this year and stays upright, we're all buying your stock.

"A lot of people don't want to wear the traditional rib-protectors because they make them look fat,'' Griffin said. "These ... you can't even tell you have them on, and you're also protecting your body the best way you can, rather than them sliding all over the place.''

Griffin looked great running in this practice. One advantage: He had the red shirt on. No one could touch him. Look at a 15-day stretch in October on the Redskins' schedule. Jared Allen, the Giants, James Harrison. I'm thinking Griffin might want a bullet-proof vest as well as the EvoShield.

They did, and they made Robert Griffin III go meekly on his first two series, the run defense pulverizing the Redskins' offensive front. But on the third drive, Washington took it 80 yards in eight plays for the game's only touchdown. Preseason's preseason, but that's not the kind of drive you want to show your fans when the clear expectation is that the defensive front will stifle most of what's put in front of it.

Now, I know players who aren't going to go overboard with effort in the preseason, and I don't blame them. Why should Mario Williams risk injury in a practice game with nothing riding on the outcome? The games stink for the most part, and we draw too many conclusions from them. But an 80-yard drive by an efficient rookie quarterback into the teeth of the best unit of your team ... let's just say the Bills need to go to Chicago Saturday night and harass Jay Cutler more than they bugged RGIII the other night.

Don't the Skins play the Bears Saturday night? lol...

Drew Brees is a tiny QB and he stays pretty healthy. Hopefully we can get the same from Griffin.

True, but I don't think there are alot of designed roll out / option running plays for Brees.

I think this whole thing is a non-isue as long as he plays it smart.

Drew Brees is a tiny QB and he stays pretty healthy. Hopefully we can get the same from Griffin.

True, but Brees doesn't run like RG3 will. As long as he avoids taking those big hits, he'll be fine. He just needs to be smart and slide or get out of bounds when he can.

This should be a non-issue....If Griffin is having to win games with his legs, then the Skins aren't succeeding....his speed should be used on broken plays, and sparingly on designed keepers. Ideally he will have 5 or less rushes a game....

In that context, we shouldn't have to worry about durability. We drafted him to be a pass first quarterback that has the ability to extend the play.

It isn't how many times he runs that matters. It's how many times he gets hit. If he's smart about his running, sliding or getting out of bounds,then the risk shouldn't be that high. If he tries to do too much and try to bull through for that extra yard we could have problems. Not enough evidence out there yet to determine which one he'll be.

True, but Brees doesn't run like RG3 will. As long as he avoids taking those big hits, he'll be fine. He just needs to be smart and slide or get out of bounds when he can.

QBs typically get hurt inside the pocket. Whether he gets hurt or not will be determined more by how well the OL plays than by his scrambling outside the pocket.

QBs typically get hurt inside the pocket. Whether he gets hurt or not will be determined more by how well the OL plays than by his scrambling outside the pocket.

I agree that it probably will come down to the OL. But him taking big hits on running plays certainly won't help. I think he'll be fine, but I'll still hold my breath everytime he scrambles.

Its true that they have some designed QB plays for RG3.. but that doesn't mean that they will run him into the ground.. man, P. King stays stuck on stupid.

---------- Post added August-13th-2012 at 12:55 PM ----------

And speaking of his size... he doesn't look "frail" to me. and this was pre-game....

255200_10151167802304574_1181838646_n.jpg

It isn't how many times he runs that matters. It's how many times he gets hit. If he's smart about his running, sliding or getting out of bounds,then the risk shouldn't be that high. If he tries to do too much and try to bull through for that extra yard we could have problems. Not enough evidence out there yet to determine which one he'll be.

I think there is plenty of evidence to show what type of player he is and that he will probably go for the extra yard lol. The man is a competitor and will have to be reminded to go down. Exhibit A, RGIII running down the Bill and launching himself airborne to knock him out of bounce. Great play and i love the mans dedication, but my heart stopped and Portis dislocating his shoulder in a meaningless preseason game on a TO return flashed before my eyes.

Archived