Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Peter King MMQB

QBs typically get hurt inside the pocket. Whether he gets hurt or not will be determined more by how well the OL plays than by his scrambling outside the pocket.

I agree. I think he, like a lot of QBs, is more at risk of getting injured in the pocket. That's where he is most vulnerable to blindside hits, to being caught in awkward positions while throwing and to 300+ pound guys falling on him. Our QBs got hit over a hundred times last year and that is way too much. That is what will get him injured. People see him and immediately think Mike Vick. A guy like Vick gets hurt in and out of the pocket. It's because he's injury prone just like Matt Schaub, Matt Stafford, and Sam Bradford.

Peter Queer at his best....

Welcome to three months off the board, idjit. I'll leave this one unedited for the terminally clueless.

Now please, let some lemming say something about "our too PC world" so I can further reduce the stupid. :)

actually, having just looked at your user notes and multiple bans from multiple mods (we are way too forgiving here) you're gone for good. hell, this isn't even the first time you've been busted for your "queers" issues.

I think there is plenty of evidence to show what type of player he is and that he will probably go for the extra yard lol. The man is a competitor and will have to be reminded to go down. Exhibit A, RGIII running down the Bill and launching himself airborne to knock him out of bounce. Great play and i love the mans dedication, but my heart stopped and Portis dislocating his shoulder in a meaningless preseason game on a TO return flashed before my eyes.

I agree, was thinking about the same Portis play after RGIII ran down the Bills defender. While our coach may have given public kudos to RGIII, wonder if in private he reminded his star that these games are PRE season.....

Yes. Cam Newton has 30 lbs on RGIII.

And on the flip side, RGIII has Olympic sprinter speed. He was .2 faster than Newton in the 40 at the combine, and RGIII ran even faster in college.

And finally, I hope Peter King chokes to death on a chicken wing.

Big Ben is a big dude who gets hurt a lot. Stafford's been hurt a lot. Skinny Eli has been on the field every game. You just never know

Thank you! All this "he looks frail, he weighs 217, he better not run the ball 100 some times like Cam Newton" stuff is getting old. Casual fans look at Griffin and the closest physical comparison is Mike Vick, so they hoot and holler about how many times he'll be injured. Griffin doesn't prefer to run the ball, he wants to be a passer. And honestly what kind of pocket awareness do you have if you're injuring your hand on your lineman's helmet?

The whole he's frail thing has gotten so old from opposing fans and even some of our own that it truly borders on trolling. We didn't see him run the ball once in the game with the Bills, it's not his first instinct like previous "athletic" quarterbacks. Can we please allow him to show us he's reckless before we start worrying about what everyone else seems to believe are inevitable injuries.

It's all about football IQ, and how fast he can pick it up. Brees, Brady, Peyton, etc. don't take a ton of hits because they get the ball out early. Heck, Peyton usually goes into the fetal position when he feels the pocket collapsing.

Pocket awareness is huge. And unfortunately skinny Eli has it. I remember his first hit in the league against the Eagles where I thought his head was gonna fly off. Haha.

Eli does have pocket awareness, but he's taken a lot of big shots regardless. And since he's in the pocket a lot of those shots are blindside where he's stationary. Those hurt more than somebody chasing you down from behind as you're rolling out or whatever. I think we've seen Griff's quick release. He did a playaction the other day and saw a guy bearing down on him and he threw a little dart to Paul, who dropped it. Obviously he will get hit at some point, but he he took plenty of big shots at Baylor from guys that are in the NFL now. Sometimes he likes to lay there and make it look like he's shaken up, but I think he's just taking his time. He never shows any effects. He was beat around pretty good early in that OU game and he just kept on truckin'.

I agree. I think he, like a lot of QBs, is more at risk of getting injured in the pocket. That's where he is most vulnerable to blindside hits, to being caught in awkward positions while throwing and to 300+ pound guys falling on him. Our QBs got hit over a hundred times last year and that is way too much. That is what will get him injured. People see him and immediately think Mike Vick. A guy like Vick gets hurt in and out of the pocket. It's because he's injury prone just like Matt Schaub, Matt Stafford, and Sam Bradford.

Vick's injuries almost always come in the pocket.

QBs are moving backwards or standing still when they get hit in the pocket. It's so much more devastating. When you're running hard it doesn't hurt as much and it hurts the other guy a lot more.

Size doesn't matter when it comes to getting hurt.

Big Ben hurt literally plays hurt all the time. He's playing with a "little" rotator cuff injury this season. Part of it is on his offensive line, but part of it's big holding the ball too long. And the other part is that he always plays hurt, which means the injuries pile up. But most of Ben's injuries have happened in the pocket.

Matt Schaub is 6'5", 241, a big, prototypical quarterback size. He's only completed a 16 game season as a full time starter 2 times out of 5 years. And most of his injuries happen...you guessed it, in the pocket.

The only injury I think Michael Vick has gotten out of the pocket recently is when Kareem Moore and DeAngelo Hall smooshed him in Week 4 of 2010. But the other times Vick has gotten hurt, guess where he's been? In. The. Pocket.

Peyton Manning's neck? In the pocket. Tom Brady's knee? In the pocket. One of the concussion that Rodgers had in 2010? In the pocket.

Running isn't the problem. Being stationary or bent awkwardly while trying to escape causes injury.

I agree with NLC1054's above post.

What I'm noticing from fans is that there seems to be a fear that if we use RG3 on running plays, he will be susceptible to the type of injuries that Running Backs have. He will be fine as unless the coaches attempted to use him like the Broncos did with Tebow.

Also, I"m shocked any Redskin fan is worried about this at all. Over the recent years, we've seen our starting QB's get popped pretty hard by defenders running straight through the middle or full speed from the left and right and I do not recall any major injuries. We seem to have some sort of good luck there (still knocks on wood).

might be 6-foot-1 and just 233 pounds, but the coaches are high on his ability to be an above-average pass catcher on short and intermediate stuff, which will help Robert Griffin III when he's being pressured. From the looks of the offensive line, that will be early and often.
But an 80-yard drive by an efficient rookie quarterback into the teeth of the best unit of your team ... let's just say the Bills need to go to Chicago Saturday night and harass Jay Cutler more than they bugged RGIII the other night.

Did anyone else catch this little contradiction? I am going to avoid going on my the OL isn't as bad as the media says harangue, just let this little nugget do all the talking for me...

Yes. Cam Newton has 30 lbs on RGIII.

And on the flip side, RGIII has Olympic sprinter speed. He was .2 faster than Newton in the 40 at the combine, and RGIII ran even faster in college.

And finally, I hope Peter King chokes to death on a chicken wing.

Seriously. I really tired of Peter King and his "opinion." he flip-flops more than a flounder on a dry dock. His opinion of players is about as credible as Walter jeff-dunham-walter.jpg, the puppet used by Jeff Dunham.

Archived