Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday 8/13: Training Camp Tweets (what-not galore)

All we on the west coast know about Baltimore is what we learned from The Wire--that it's filled with alcoholics/addicts, crack hos, crooked cops, criminals, psychopaths, and really stupid dysfunctional people who are unwilling get a decent job and work hard to support themselves or their family. They just sell dope, inform to the cops, or take bribes (if a relative hooked them up with a gig for the city) if they "work" at all. And then this would be the fan base for the ravens. Is this not correct?

:D

(joking joking :))

The sad thing is the wire is a pretty accurate depiction of inner city Baltimore

I know a lot of people who I grew up with that were Redskins fans and slowly transitioned over to Ravens fans. I understand people who do things like that but I certainly don't agree with or respect them. If you pick a team to root for, you don't just do it when they're a good team. Criticize them all you want when they suck, talk about what they're doing wrong, but don't ever jump ship for the greener grass.

Ravens fans I've met from Baltimore however...wow they have a major underlying inferiority complex when it comes to D.C. and I'm not even sure why. Their football team has been overall quite good for a decade now, the Orioles are finally back in contention for something other than last place, they don't really have much to feel inferior to Washington about, aside from the fact that the Nationals have the best record in baseball right now, but they hated D.C. before the nationals even showed up.

My theory is as follows (after observing this with some people I knew in high school). The Ravens fans have a bully complex. Many bullies in school pick on other kids because they themselves are hurt in other ways and need a way to lash out or hurt/control others to make themselves feel better. In other words, Kid A gets beat by his parents or his siblings, he gets teased, his family doesn't hug him. When he goes to school he sees kid B; an easy target to pick on, and so in order to make himself feel better, he lashes out against kid B.

The Ravens are 100% inferior to the Steelers and likely always will be. They always lose the games that matter to Pittsburgh, they have watched the Steelers win two superbowls recently- when the Steelers went to the superbowl in 2010, they beat the Ravens in the divisional playoff game to get there. When they won the superbowl in 2008, they beat the Ravens in the championship game to get there. They knocked the defending champ Ravens out of the playoffs in 2001. The Ravens have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs. Out of the 7 times in their history the Ravens have been defeated in the playoffs, they were booted out by their most hated rival 3 times. Comparatively speaking, we all hate the Cowboys here and the Redskins have been booted out of the playoffs 17 times in their history. Out of those 17, only once were we beaten by a divisional rival- the Giants in 1986. We have never lost to the Cowboys or Eagles in a playoff game. Ever. In fact, our all time playoffs record against teams now in our division stands at 1-0 Eagles, 2-0 Cowboys, 1-1 Giants- and that is dating back all the way to the 30's.

So Ravens fans are frustrated with constantly being bested by the Steelers and feeling inferior to them, so they turn their sights toward the Redskins fans in the area. The Redskins haven't been great since 1991 so their fans are easy targets to pick on, and it likely makes Ravens fans feel good picking on somebody who can't really fight back all that much rather than attempting to hold similar conversations with Steelers fans. It's okay I guess, some day we'll be a great team and the Ravens will go through a major dry spell. Chances are when that happens we'll keep to ourselves rather than embark on a similar campaign as the Ravens fans have subjected us to. Regardless, Harbaugh can shove his AFC/NFC fan suggestion up his ass. I still remember his quote from a few seasons ago where he said he wanted the Ravens to take over the D.C. area as the most loved football team. That is typically the concern of an owner, not a coach. Here's a better suggestion. The Nationals can be the "national league team" of everybody in the city of Baltimore. If the mere thought doesn't make a bunch of Orioles fans groan in pain then sure, I'll start paying attention to the Ravens and buying their hideous purple camouflage pants.

Redskins ‏@Redskins

#Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather catches fastballs out of the JUGS machine prior to today's #skinscamp p http://instagr.am/p/OR4nPcIjVg/

Tarik El-Bashir Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikElBashir

After dropping INT vs. Buffalo, Meriweather having balls fired at him from close range with pitching machine. #Redskins

Redskins ‏@Redskins

#Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather catches fastballs out of the JUGS machine prior to today's #skinscamp p http://instagr.am/p/OR4nPcIjVg/

Tarik El-Bashir Tarik El-Bashir ‏@TarikElBashir

After dropping INT vs. Buffalo, Meriweather having balls fired at him from close range with pitching machine. #Redskins

Hope it works...seems like a good way to break a finger..

@Rich_Campbell

LT Trent Williams (left foot bone bruise) is wearing shoulder pads and a helmet for practice this afternoon. #Redskins

@Rich_Campbell

RB Roy Helu Jr. is not wearing pads, nor is he stretching with the team. #Redskins

‏@Rich_Campbell

RG Chris Chester (left ankle) is wearing pads. So is G Mo Hurt (knee tendon). #Redskins

@Rich_Campbell

LT Trent Williams (left foot bone bruise) is wearing shoulder pads and a helmet for practice this afternoon. #Redskins

@Rich_Campbell

RB Roy Helu Jr. is not wearing pads, nor is he stretching with the team. #Redskins

Great to hear Trent is in pads so quickly - still think he might sit out the Bears game just to be safe.

It's pretty interesting to listen to northern virginians talk about persons from Baltimore and Maryland' date=' but it needs to stop. DC is comprised entirely of land annexed from Maryland and the majority of it is surrounded by Maryland. Not to mention the owner is from Maryland and the stadium is in Maryland. Obviously, DC and the Skins have many connections to Virginia, too. As for the Ravens, they have obnoxious fans just like every other fan base. We have some ignorant fans too. As for the city of Baltimore, it's not a dumb city or necessarily blue collar city. This is the home of Johns Hopkins, the UMD professional schools, Social Security, CMS, and a number of other highly regarded organizations. So, if you want to hate on Baltimore fans, fine, but leave the city alone. There's skins fans here, too.[/quote']

Sorry, I did grow up in Northern Va, but I have been to Baltimore many times and was stationed at Ft. Meade. It is a hole. Everytime I go to the Inner Harbor, I get accosted by drug addicts and homeless people hitting me up for money. Anytime you go off the beaten path there all I see is people who are drunk, on drugs, or both and are just hanging around swearing and fighting. I don't care what else is there, that seems like it is a very small part of the city. Every person I know who has been there has had the exact same experience I have had. You are entitled to your opinion, but I am entitled to mine. The place is crappy.

Great to hear Trent is in pads so quickly - still think he might sit out the Bears game just to be safe.

That wouldn't sound right, considering he has a rookie QB to protect. I would expect them to give him a few more days off if it were that serious. I'm still curious about the long term effects of bone bruises though.

Archived