Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STB21's Day 3 Training Camp Recap (7/28/12)

CRobi21

Great write-up man thanks... Concerning Niles Paul, did you happen to catch any of his blocking or where he was mostly lined-up during Shotgun/Pistol formations? Also, physically does he look like he will be able move 250+lb linebackers out of the play?

Here's a shot of Niles Paul I got yesterday during a punt fielding drill.

DSC_0020.JPG

And great write up STB21.

I go back and watch a lot of highlights from last season...or should I say low lights. To me, it seems like Kevin Barnes cannot tackle and cannot cover. Panthers game for instance, everytime I pull up Cam Newton highlights, Kevin Barnes is in one. One play in which the pass rush was on Newton has to roll to his left to escape the rush and here comes Barnes to get him and instead of slowing down and boxing in Newton he LUNGES at him and because he misses, he falls down. So about 4 seconds later, as Barnes gets up he starts chasing Cam and low and behold, he is running down field and trips on his own feet and falls down a 2nd time on the same play. Can't play the game, can't tackle, if you are on the ground son. Then later on I notice a quick out on another Cam Newton pass in the red zone, and low and behold Barnes is playing waaaay off of the receiver...completion! So regardless of how he looks in practice, the guy cannot keep his feet, cannot cover, and is clearly another example of why our secondary gets beat over and over and over. Barnes should be a cut waiting to happen in my opinion, especially with draft picks in camp who have potential. Potential is better than guaranteed ineptitude.

Great write up ST.

I figured I would add a few pics that I got yesterday. I haven't had a chance to go through the action shots yet but here are some closeup shots of some of the guys.

img41282.jpg

img41542.jpg

img41372.jpg

img41462.jpg

img41432.jpg

And this was just about the moment the crowd went wild...

img41142.jpg

img41182.jpg

I found it pretty amusing and frustrating at the same time when guys asked who so and so was.. Especially when it's a player they should know.

I go back and watch a lot of highlights from last season...or should I say low lights. To me, it seems like Kevin Barnes cannot tackle and cannot cover. Panthers game for instance, everytime I pull up Cam Newton highlights, Kevin Barnes is in one. One play in which the pass rush was on Newton has to roll to his left to escape the rush and here comes Barnes to get him and instead of slowing down and boxing in Newton he LUNGES at him and because he misses, he falls down. So about 4 seconds later, as Barnes gets up he starts chasing Cam and low and behold, he is running down field and trips on his own feet and falls down a 2nd time on the same play. Can't play the game, can't tackle, if you are on the ground son. Then later on I notice a quick out on another Cam Newton pass in the red zone, and low and behold Barnes is playing waaaay off of the receiver...completion! So regardless of how he looks in practice, the guy cannot keep his feet, cannot cover, and is clearly another example of why our secondary gets beat over and over and over. Barnes should be a cut waiting to happen in my opinion, especially with draft picks in camp who have potential. Potential is better than guaranteed ineptitude.

To be fair to Barnes, if he tries to "box in" Newton, Newton would've just trucked him. Eight of our 11 guys on defense got destroyed by Newton on that play, so, even though Barnes hasn't been great, that play probably isn't be best example of it.

I think Barnes is just a better outside corner than an inside corner. Playing the slot requires a whole different skillset, and Barnes doesn't have the physicality to play slot. But whenever he lined up outside last season, I thought he looked a lot more comfortable. To play the slot you almost need a combination of a safety and a corner. Barnes is not that.

I don't know if he gets cut or not. I do think Raheem will play him more on the outside in preseason, though.

Great write-up man thanks... Concerning Niles Paul, did you happen to catch any of his blocking or where he was mostly lined-up during Shotgun/Pistol formations? Also, physically does he look like he will be able move 250+lb linebackers out of the play?

In the pistol and shot gun the TEs were mostly off the line a couple yards and just outside the tackle box, and in a two point stance. On play I remember Niles fired off the line and bee lined to a backup ILB. There was a pretty violent collision and i think Niles won the engagement. I could tell he wont shy away from contact.

Thanks for the great write-up. :cheers:

Concerning RG3, I've read several observers write that he has had the most trouble throwing to his left (aginst his body), and in rollouts in that direction. That his throws are usually too low, and that he done very well on other throws.

Did you notice that?

One of his nicest throws of the day was rolling left and hitting Hank right between the numbers on a deep comeback along the sideline. Must have been not being in the best rhythm with the WRs on day 1.

Now, that's how you do it. Wonderful write up.

I know you said that you didn't focus very hard on the lines, but I have heard some reports saying that the o-line was having its lunch handed to them. From the report, it sounds like today the o-line picked it up a notch and gave time and opened some holes. Was that your impression?

Well I wouldnt use "lunch handed to them" to describe yesterday at all. Much more competitive Id say. Defense blew up some plays but it wasnt an every play occurrence. RBs had some nice holes and QBs had time to throw many times yesterday.

As for the other QBs. Rex was the Rex we all know and love. He made some good throws. Had a "**** it I'm going deep" moment during 11 on 11's, which ended up falling incomplete. But he looked good and will be a great backup to Robert. Cousins seemed off all day, even in the warm up throws to the WRs. He threw 2 int's in 3 reps during full team scrimmage. Not really making anything of it though. He's a young, later round pick. And will be holding a clipboard all year anyways.

WRs

Pierre Garcon looks like a legit #1 WR to me. He was getting open consistently and making some great catches. Really good route runner, his cuts are on a dime and seems to be really tough to cover. He got the best of any DB that lined up across from him. Santana also looked great, noticeably slimmer. That past few years Tana was quick and explosive going into his cuts. But now with the weight loss he is quick and explosive coming out of his cuts, and is getting open a lot easier. He will be great in the slot. After those two, I'd say the WR that had the next best day was Brandon Banks. He was beating press coverage with his quickness, getting open and making tough catches. The little guy wasn't afraid to go over the middle neither. That was his best day as a WR, that I've seen, since he's been here. Armstrong had an okay day I thought. He looked great during one on one's, making a one handed grab on a skinny post which received a huge "Ohh!" from the crowd. But seemed to disappear as practice went on.

Joshua Morgan and Hankerson had a rather quiet day also. They didn't get too many balls thrown there way it seemed. The highlight between the two of them seemed to be the deep comback Hank caught from RG3 after the roll out to the left.

Terrence Austin and Aldrick Robinson led the younger guys to me. Austin seems very slippery when making his cuts. He ran a flag route where he cut about three different times. Not sure he'll have that much time to do that in a game situation, but it sure was pretty in the moment. Aldrick can flat out fly. He ran right past a DB on one on one's but was overthrown. He also seemed to be progressing with his route running, getting open multiple times today.

OL/DL/OLBs

This area was a good match up all day today. It was hard to see who had the upper hand as both showed times of good play. Rak and Kerrigan were getting some pressure on the edges going up against Trent Williams and Polumbus. I did see Rak try to throw a swim move on a tackle. I read a report where he got a sack using that move the other day, so he may be finally getting some more moves into his rush techniques.

The interior lineman also had some good matchups. One player I'm sure we're all interested in is Jarvis Jenkins and he is looking good. Early on in full team reps I saw him getting into the backfield. On one he totally disrupted the play and he would have had a tackle for a loss. He got some high fives for that one. I have to be honest and say I didn't get that good of a look at the line play as I was really focused on RG3 and our skill positions. But there were times where the DL won, and times where the OL won. The QBs had time to throw, but also received pressure. The RBs had holes to run through, but certainly weren't running freely. It just seemed very evenly matched, which imo is a good thing.

Interesting observation about Cousins, because word out of Camp on day 1 is he looked really good. And I could just HEAR Tom Lovero warming up the QB controversy bit. I hope that he continues to improve, because it would be nice to sever ties with Rex eventually.

For the WRs, you said Austin was "slippery." Based on the "eye" test, did he seem to have the speed and wiggle necessary to get open on game day? I don't know, I think he's one of the long shots to make the team.

I would love to see Robinson come up and grab a spot. Because dude can run. I think at the very least, the receivers they have now are much more interesting and deeper than they have had for years. Probably since (I can't believe I'm saying this) Westbrook and AC. Yes, it has been THAT bad.

Who got most of the time at RT? Polumbus?

Here's a shot of Niles Paul I got yesterday during a punt fielding drill.

Sick shot!

In the pistol and shot gun the TEs were mostly off the line a couple yards and just outside the tackle box, and in a two point stance. On play I remember Niles fired off the line and bee lined to a backup ILB. There was a pretty violent collision and i think Niles won the engagement. I could tell he wont shy away from contact.

That's whatsup man! I was never really too pumped about this draft pick until the recent conversion. He could be a serious weapon out there for us.

^^^^ Pretty much sums up Barnes 'career', such as it's been, since he's been here.

If he makes the roster yet again when all is said and done, it speaks volumes for just how terribly bad our CB situation actually is.

Hail.

Surely it's impossible for a player to develop after initially struggling.

Surely it's impossible for a player to develop after initially struggling.

Not sure what your getting at there man.

The short answer would be no, some players develop slower than others. But in Barnes case, that looks less and less like a possibility. A 4th year vet .who lloks as fundamentally raw now as he did as a rookie isn't a good sign at all.

I'd of cut his lame ass last off-season. But what would I know, shrugs.

Hail.

To speak on Barnes. I never got a good feeling from him his first few years. My main gripe that he had slow feet to me. But yesterday he looked much improved in that areaand in turn made him a totally different player. He seemed much more confident and aggressive to me. Especially in press-man. But we shall see how he does in preseason which will be the true test.

Good write up, thanks!

Do me a favor if you dont' mind. Since you're there, fill up a gatorade bucket with bricks, and when Gano makes a kick dump it on Danny Smith's head.

~Bang

:ols:

Danny wasn't even the most vocal coach on the field compared years past. I think that title has gone to Raheem Morris.

So that's one another positive attribute as a coach gone from D Smith. :) Not many left I imagine.

---------- Post added July-29th-2012 at 04:18 PM ----------

I missed a play on Keenan Robinson in the write up. Playing against the run and getting off blocks was one of his knocks coming out of Texas. But one play yesterday that really jumped out to me was on a run play towards his side. Keenan found the hole very quickly and met the fullback head on right in the hole, completely blowing up the play. Not only did he blow it up but he was in good position getting off the block to make the tackle along with some nearby DL. It was very Perry Riley'ish from last year the way he just exploded to the hole and made the play.

And he'll only keep getting better learning behind London all year.

Just a quick note.

I missed a play on Keenan Robinson in the write up. Playing against the run and getting off blocks was one of his knocks coming out of Texas. But one play yesterday that really jumped out to me was on a run play towards his side. Keenan found the hole very quickly and met the fullback head on right in the hole, completely blowing up the play. Not only did he blow it up but he was in good position getting off the block to make the tackle along with some nearby DL. It was very Perry Riley'ish from last year the way he just exploded to the hole and made the play.

And he'll only keep getting better learning behind London all year.

Just a quick note.

Thanks for the write-up ST, glad you could make it out there.

This post really gave me a breath of fresh air for some reason. It's crazy to think, that the Redskins are finally developing players. No more, has been, have nots etc... we're now finding talent through all rounds of the draft and helping these players grow. Could you imagine that in a few years from now our LB corps might be Perry Riley/Kennan Robinson. In years past, players like them were over-looked or allowed to walk due to contract obligations with other high-priced FAs.

We finally have an organization that understands how a football team is created. They unfortunately got started behind square one, and it's going to be difficult to catch up with the other teams that are already so far ahead. I don't know if they'll ever make it to the top, but it's a hell of lot more fun to root for a bunch of guys you've watched grow, than it is some random FAs that don't fit the scheme/or actually care about being in DC.

Archived