Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WUSA9.com: Redskins Perry Riley: "I'm Going To Make A Name For Myself"

http://www.wusa9.com/sports/article/214492/444/Redskins-Perry-Riley-Im-Going-To-Make-A-Name-For-Myself

To understand why Perry Riley was the only Redskin wearing pants with a heat index of 110 degrees, you'll have to travel backwards exactly one year.

On the very first day of Redskins training camp in 2011, self-proclaimed tough guy, Perry Riley, wore pants to practice. Riley did everything but live up to the macho persona wearing pants in the heat precedes.

"I pretty much passed out. I had the and IV's and stuff. I couldn't even finish practice," remembered the 24-year-old middle linebacker.

The failure of his conditioning ate away at Riley's conscience all throughout last season, even as he found himself emerging as a starter over Rocky McIntosh. He was still a productive player -- recording 68 tackles and a sack in 16 games -- but it was evident to Riley that he wasn't living up to his full potential.

So he became a gym rat, specifically focusing on cardio, as soon as the Redskins 5-11 season concluded. He and teammates Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Wilson and Rob Jackson went relentlessly hard in the gym, training at Sports and Health.

"Our trainer had us doing all kinds of explosive work, conditioning stuff. I could feel my heart rate improving almost daily," Riley said.

The result? The linebacker dropped four pounds, down to 238, and proclaimed he's in the best shape of his life. And that's exactly why he wore pants during Thursday's scorching temperatures out in Ashburn.

"I had to prove it to myself that I have the stamina this year to meet any challenge," spoke Riley.

Now that's what I'm talking about! This may still be a rough-around-the-edges year (youth/system experience, still some weaker units, and lack of superstars), but it already has a different better feeling, not the typical "desperate-for-any-hope" ring I try to snag every new season in the last 15 years.

I bet watching Fletch, being one of the most productive LB in the league at age 53, probably drove it home a bit as well. haha

Glad to see the dedication to improve. Riley is one of many young guys who have the potential to stand out on the team. Very exciting!

I like that we brought in Goff, but I hope Riley wins the spot. He's going to be a stud for a long time in the league, and a worthy successor to Fletch as an ILB. So glad he's making 56 look good again (comparing Riley to Arrington repping the number).

Ya' know, I consider myself a pretty objective 'Skins fan considering I bleed black and gold (Steelers) but I'm a 'Skins STH and root for the home team. I actually think Perry is about to explode onto the scene and may be the best LB talent on the team - not sure a lot of 'Skins fans realize what they've got there. I'm very impressed and he actually reminds me of Patrick Willis a little with his flow down the line and the speed at which he shoots the gap. This guy has a pretty good future and if he can learn to be a pro like London...

I go to sport and health and have seen him in there almost everytime I went, so he isnt just saying that. They were getting after it. They had a tub of protein and would drink shakes in between sets instead of before and after the workout, pretty intense. No doubts he is physically ready. I work a fire dept schedule so on my days off i was there every morning and like clockwork he was there.

Ya' know, I consider myself a pretty objective 'Skins fan considering I bleed black and gold (Steelers) but I'm a 'Skins STH and root for the home team.....

WHOA! STOP THE PRESS AND BACKTRACK .....

Your a Steelers fan, that holds a Redskins ST and as such roots for the 'home team.'

How the Hell does that work? Your either one or the other, or a 'fan' of neither. You can't be emotionally invested all ways. In that scenario, your a 'customer', maybe even a 'supporter' as your hard earned dollars go into it. But not a 'fan.'

I honestly don't get that at all. It's the most asinine, foreign thing I could think of as a football fan. Or fan of any sports team for that matter.

Hail.

I hope he became as big a bookworm as he did gym rat! We got gashed a few times when he ran himself out of the play but considering no OTAs, he had a real nice rookie season all in all. Now we need all his athleticism in the right place at the right time.

There are a select few of us on here that have stated that Riley is going to be a stud for a while now. Sometimes you know that a guy has the "it" factor the minute he steps on the field. You saw his great "football" instincts the moment he stepped on the field. While most people want to don the jersey of those flashy players such as QB's, WR's, etc., I have a feeling that Riley will be my fav 'skins before too long. Have loved the guy since the day he stepped on the field. He is getting ready to blow up and 'Rak will soon be our 4th best LB. That's a great luxury to have.

Archived