Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paste Magazine: 90 Best Movies of the 90's

renaissance

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is also a younger crowd's vote being that it's IMDB. Still pretty accurate and still a simple popularity contest. But "best" is so arbitrary.

Nice to see the Lord of the Rings cemented as the best film saga ever, though. I agree with that sentiment.

Fight Club at #12 is laughable. Everybody from my generation loves that movie...i just dont get it. I don't know if it was the first cool trendy movie with a twist they saw once they got older or what. It's good but wow, #12....

Have you all seen all of the movies up there? Out of the top 10, I have only seen Goodfellas in its entirety, and part of Shawshank.

I haven't seen The Apostle, Three Color's Trilogy or Magnolia. Hell, not even sure I've heard of them. Am I missing out?

Also have never watched Sling Blade. I didn't realize it was so well regarded. Is it something I need to watch ASAP? I know it's on Netflix so I could watch it tonight

I haven't seen The Apostle, Three Color's Trilogy or Magnolia. Hell, not even sure I've heard of them. Am I missing out?

Also have never watched Sling Blade. I didn't realize it was so well regarded. Is it something I need to watch ASAP? I know it's on Netflix so I could watch it tonight

I hated Sling Blade. HATED it. Magnolia was eh. I haven't seen those other two either.

But really, if you asked me what the worst movie I ever saw was, its either Destiny Turns on the Radio or Sling Blade. And my wife makes me watch Lifetime movies about women who move from NYC to Montana...

Fight Club at #12 is laughable. Everybody from my generation loves that movie...i just dont get it. I don't know if it was the first cool trendy movie with a twist they saw once they got older or what. It's good but wow, #12....

You didn't get fight club? Watch it again and pay extra special attention to the scenes in the beginning leading up to his apartment blowing up. All of Ed Norton's dialog in the beginning tell you everything you need to know about what Fight Club was truly about.

Fight Club was very much a tale of how testosterone fueled men (basically, young healthy men) have no place in today's society. Fight Club is a tale of the pussification of America.

You didn't get fight club? Watch it again and pay extra special attention to the scenes in the beginning leading up to his apartment blowing up. All of Ed Norton's dialog in the beginning tell you everything you need to know about what Fight Club was truly about.

Fight Club was very much a tale of how testosterone fueled men (basically, young healthy men) have no place in today's society. Fight Club is a tale of the pussification of America.

I watched Fight Club this month for the first time. I then watched it again the next day.

I cant believe I missed it when it first came out.

Defitnitely a top 10. A thought provoking movie.

Taste in movies finally brings me closer to both of you!

I guess I'm a bigger Silence of the Lambs fan than most. I think that's top 5 of the nineties easy. Maybe top 2.

Fight Club at 12 is not laughable as much as it is just rated too high IMO. SoftheL is dark and some don't like those, I don't but I still appreciate the quality of that movie, it is really well put together.

I think Forrest Gump was a really good movie but it is overrated. I think a lot of people like it so much because it was so much fun to revisit all these moments in history that many grew up through and see a different sort of perspective to it or how Gump tied into everything they remember. It was a really unique movie, nothing has ever been like it for usure, plus the soundtrack was awesome...)

I think that was it for me on that movie: ties in clips of "Americana" from the past 4 decades and guess what? You'll have at least something everyone can relate with from their past. That and the fact that Gump was selectively retarded/challenged and it just felt like pandering. Oh well it's completely subjective what each person considers 'great.'

I can't let that movie play on regular TV without watching it. Those three stars were unreal in character.

yep. a few weeks ago, i was ready to go to sleep. saw it was on and stayed up to watch it. i can't not watch it.

Forrest Gump though, the story makes the movie, not the Americana. Maybe that's why it was so big in 1994 because those who grew up in the 60's and 70's (almost the entire movie) could relive their past but it is still a wildly popular movie among people of all ages, people who have no recollection of Vietnam.

Forrest Gump though, the story makes the movie, not the Americana. Maybe that's why it was so big in 1994 because those who grew up in the 60's and 70's (almost the entire movie) could relive their past but it is still a wildly popular movie among people of all ages, people who have no recollection of Vietnam.

The story is good I just find it hard to get too attached to the story because of the absurdity of it all. Seems like a mechanism to simply revisit all these events in one coherent piece.

---------- Post added July-18th-2012 at 09:57 AM ----------

Fight Club at 12 is not laughable as much as it is just rated too high IMO. SoftheL is dark and some don't like those, I don't but I still appreciate the quality of that movie, it is really well put together.

I really like the movie and I get it I just cant fathom it being in a top 20 best movies of all time ranking.

The story is good I just find it hard to get too attached to the story because of the absurdity of it all. Seems like a mechanism to simply revisit all these events in one coherent piece

Oh it's a completely absurd story, but it's fun to watch. It wasn't the best movie of 1994 though. Probably #3.

I was a little surprised to see no love for Good Will Hunting with it not even making the top 90.
Agreed.

Where's a Few Good Men? Another stellar movie.

I knew eventually there would be some brought up that were missed, good catch on both those deserving movies. Apparently the list maker, "Can't handle the truth" lol this list kinda sucks.

I was completely surprised Philadelphia was not there. Ground breaking at the time.

I think that was it for me on that movie: ties in clips of "Americana" from the past 4 decades and guess what? You'll have at least something everyone can relate with from their past. That and the fact that Gump was selectively retarded/challenged and it just felt like pandering. Oh well it's completely subjective what each person considers 'great.'

You can't go full retard

Archived