Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

Just got an email from our local Chamber of Commerce (that provides our plans) ... same coverage from last year now has a larger scope of coverage ... but the price is going down! and I quote "small businesses are going to find out they really love Obamacare."

This coming from the same group that, 3-4 months ago at a community forum for ACA questions, stated to be ready to see rates go up 30-40% ... (Chambers are also very conservative, traditionally, so it was quite a reversal)

Same Ded,network & co-pay?

in general states that had limited competition will see lower rates under ACA,the others a increase.....but a CoC plan wouldn't be ACA would it?

Your post without context is meaningless.

As a small business owner my insurance increased this year.

My insurance went up because of fees to set up Obamacare exchanges, plus average age and health of my employees.

My insurance COULD have gone down if the average age of my employees went down and we became younger.

For companies with continuous demographics, insurance went up.

Your "small businesses are going to find out they really love Obamacare." is an opinion with no basis.

What has been the trajectory of your insurance costs over the last ten years?

What has been the trajectory of your insurance costs over the last ten years?

They have gone up, but I have little employee turnover and as the average age of my company goes up, so does the cost of healthcare in addition to normal increases.

This year I also had to pay the "aca exchange rates tax"

The bigger issue I have seen is the fast growing high deductible insurance plans.  That's what all Americans will soon be faced with.

twa ... yeah same plan across the board and apparently the coverage is increasing (haven;t seen specifics yet) and the actual cost will go down. Our CoC is becoming a certified provider and an exchange member for the community ... not sure if that impacts it at all ... but I don't think they're direct ACA plans ... just the usual Blue Cross Blue Shield offerings, but the costs are going down rather than up, which they said was going to happen a couple months ago, as a result of the ACA being implemented. That's all I know ... I'd be happy to post more on it when we get the specifics, though.

Just to clarify my earlier post, as I want to be technically correct.

I was on the traditional BC/BS plan but the rates got way too expensive.  My rates dropped significantly when I put them in a BC/BS high deductible plans.

So the plan went from a Ferrari to a Impala but my rates went down.  I pay for my employees deductible so they don't lose, the losers are those who get stuck with those plans.

Edited by chipwhich

Fair enough. That above statement also coming from a "whateverman" according to that Esquire/NBC poll ... which is two clicks right of center. Certainly not a major advocate one way or another, just sharing what I just got.

Loved that segment of the show...however, if you were watching at all, you're far from a "whateverman", imo.  :)

twa ... yeah same plan across the board and apparently the coverage is increasing (haven;t seen specifics yet) and the actual cost will go down. Our CoC is becoming a certified provider and an exchange member for the community ... not sure if that impacts it at all ... but I don't think they're direct ACA plans ... just the usual Blue Cross Blue Shield offerings, but the costs are going down rather than up, which they said was going to happen a couple months ago, as a result of the ACA being implemented. That's all I know ... I'd be happy to post more on it when we get the specifics, though.

Please do

Some states like Ny are different

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/07/20/kaiser-new-york-insurance-premiums/2570873/

"New York with such extreme rules sets the stage for a larger drop in rates than you'd expect to see in many other states," said Paul Ginsburg, president of the Center for Studying Health System Change, a non-partisan think tank in Washington D.C. "It's clearly in the minority."

A handful of other states — including Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Vermont — have similar rules barring insurers from rejecting applicants with health conditions when selling coverage directly to individuals. Only Massachusetts currently requires the flip side of that equation: that consumers also purchase coverage or face a fine.

In New Jersey, benefit firm Milliman projects up to a 25% reduction in premiums for some consumers who buy their own insurance as a result of the health law, for similar reasons. Individual coverage costs about 60% more in that state than the national average. New Jersey officials have not yet disclosed proposed or final premium prices for the new online market.

In Vermont, the actuary group predicted a more substantial drop, but when the state released its proposed premium rates for next year, the rates were largely unchanged

Well, being that I'm in NY, that could be the reason for the drop I suppose!

I attended a meeting two months ago on the matter and at the time they were anticipating rate hikes of 20-30% over last year ... then about a month ago they had a follow-up and said that they didn't think the rates would increase more than 9% ... and here we are ... going down! How much I have no idea ... but I'll post more as it comes in.

Where I work they already cut some employee hours down to 35 and are looking for a 100% increase in our contributions to our health insurance.  Will they get 100%, I highly doubt it, but they are going for it.  But don't worry,  your insurance premiums won't rise and it won't cost us a dime.

Observing that the big bold claim at the top of the pretty picture reads "raise your health insurance premium".

But the fine print down in the corner reads "cost of future newly insured".

observing costs must be paid and under ACA many are supposedly going to be newly insured....unless they lied again

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-13/business/ct-biz-1013-obamacare-deductibles-20131013_1_health-care-overhaul-health-insurance-health-coverage

Obamacare deductibles a dose of sticker shock
Insurance companies requiring higher out-of-pocket expenses to comply with new rules
October 13, 2013|By Peter Frost, Chicago Tribune reporter
    •  
    •  
    •  

• 77765551.jpg
Adam Weldzius, of Carpentersville, works as a nurse practitioner. If the 33-year-old single father wants the same level of health insurance coverage next year as what he has now with the same insurer and the same network of doctors and hospitals, his monthly premium of $233 will more than double. (Chuck Berman, Chicago Tribune)

Adam Weldzius, a nurse practitioner, considers himself better informed than most when it comes to the inner workings of health insurance. But even he wasn't prepared for the pocketbook hit he'll face next year under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

If the 33-year-old single father wants the same level of coverage next year as what he has now with the same insurer and the same network of doctors and hospitals, his monthly premium of $233 will more than double. If he wants to keep his monthly payments in check, the Carpentersville resident is looking at an annual deductible for himself and his 7-year-old daughter of $12,700, a more than threefold increase from $3,500 today.

pixel.gif

Where I work they already cut some employee hours down to 35 and are looking for a 100% increase in our contributions to our health insurance.  Will they get 100%, I highly doubt it, but they are going for it.  But don't worry,  your insurance premiums won't rise and it won't cost us a dime.

The employer mandate has been delayed until January 2015.  Cutting hours now is irrelevant in terms of how it effects the employer under Obamacare.  More importantly, the threshold number is 30 hours.  Someone working 35 hours a week is still considered "full time" and must be offered insurance by large employers.

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 1

observing costs must be paid and under ACA many are supposedly going to be newly insured....unless they lied again

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-13/business/ct-biz-1013-obamacare-deductibles-20131013_1_health-care-overhaul-health-insurance-health-coverage

Obamacare deductibles a dose of sticker shock
Insurance companies requiring higher out-of-pocket expenses to comply with new rules
October 13, 2013|By Peter Frost, Chicago Tribune reporter

Adam Weldzius, a nurse practitioner, considers himself better informed than most when it comes to the inner workings of health insurance. But even he wasn't prepared for the pocketbook hit he'll face next year under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

If the 33-year-old single father wants the same level of coverage next year as what he has now with the same insurer and the same network of doctors and hospitals, his monthly premium of $233 will more than double. If he wants to keep his monthly payments in check, the Carpentersville resident is looking at an annual deductible for himself and his 7-year-old daughter of $12,700, a more than threefold increase from $3,500 today.

pixel.gif

For every one of these article saying there was sticker shock, there are three or four saying that people couldn't believe how low the prices were.

But that's not the real question.  It goes back to what the GOP plan was.  And the truth is that very little has been offered to reform healthcare by the GOP (except Obamacare when it was called RomneyCare).  Now, you do have people on teh right claiming that we should have high deductible options for young, healthy people.  And that's actually part of what Obamacare delivers, but they don't like it in Obamacare.

I will say this, if you want to make sure people can get free insurance, I'm all for the public option.

Edit:

By the way, in your first post above you complained about premiums being raised.  Now, you are complaining about deductibles being too high.  Which is it?  They are not the same.

You can buy a lower deductible plan for more money though.  

Edited by Tulane Skins Fan

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/us/comparison-shopping-still-hard-on-exchanges.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Mr. Wheeler, an independent sales representative with a neuromuscular disorder, had succeeded where many in other states had failed, getting through a thicket of log-in pages. But when he tried to find out whether two health plans he liked would pay for his medications or let him keep his current doctors, he could not.

He called one doctor on the spot, but the receptionist could not tell him whether the practice was in the new plan networks. Nor could Mr. Wheeler, 61, get quick answers from the insurers themselves. Exasperated, he put off completing his application.

Since the new health insurance exchanges opened for business on Oct. 1, millions of people who have visited the online sites have been unable to enroll because of technical problems and software glitches. But many people who are getting through the log-in process are encountering a different set of problems when they try to determine whether policies sold through the exchanges will provide the doctors, hospitals or drugs they need.

Most of the 15 exchanges run by states and the District of Columbia do not have provider directories or search tools on their Web sites — at least not yet — so customers cannot easily check which doctors and hospitals are included in a particular plan’s network. Most allow customers to search for providers by linking to the insurers’ Web sites, but the information is not always accurate or easy to navigate, health care experts say.

Problems finding providers or drug coverage are occurring mainly on state exchanges paradoxically because those Web sites are working better :rolleyes: than the federal insurance exchange used by 36 states. The federal exchange has been so crippled by technical problems that most consumers have been unable to advance far enough to compare plans, search for providers or review drug coverage.

By the way, in your first post above you complained about premiums being raised.  Now, you are complaining about deductibles being too high.  Which is it?  They are not the same.

You can buy a lower deductible plan for more money though.  

It's just TWA's usual word salad. I'm not sure he's even a person. He's just a random assemblage of words from Sarah Palin's Facebook page.

• Like 1

The employer mandate has been delayed until January 2015.  Cutting hours now is irrelevant in terms of how it effects the employer under Obamacare.  More importantly, the threshold number is 30 hours.  Someone working 35 hours a week is still considered "full time" and must be offered insurance by large employers.

You are right about the mandate and the 30 hours thank you.  They haven't said anything about some resuming over 30 hours but then again I wouldn't know cause I am full-time.  I don't know the whole 30-35 hours "full-time" thing as I'm not expert on this, I was just relaying what some were told.  However what is set in stone, is asking for 100% increase for Premiums from us.  

It's just TWA's usual word salad. I'm not sure he's even a person. He's just a random assemblage of words from Sarah Palin's Facebook page.

You wanting to avoid the issues as usual?

I'm complaining about both premiums rising and the higher deuctibles,and smaller provider networks ...and a lot more

You wanting to avoid the issues as usual?

I'm complaining about both premiums rising and the higher deuctibles,and smaller provider networks ...and a lot more

So, you won't low deductibles and low premiums?  You think people should just get healthcare for free?  Like they are entitled to it or something?

I bet you'd like it better if they could have great coverage and pay nothing.

That would be pretty good wouldn't it.  :paranoid:

So, you won't low deductibles and low premiums?  You think people should just get healthcare for free?  Like they are entitled to it or something?

How about affordable health care with coverage instead of catastrophic insurance.

• Like 2

Wait, we aren't entitled to it?  Then why is the government forcing us to use it?