Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

7 hours ago, twa said:

a Dr couldn't diagnose and prescribe antibiotics for infected tooth?

By the time the doctors did that, it was too late. When you don't have access to proper medical care, things tend to get worse, and sometimes it can take too long before the seriousness of a situation is realized. What you and I may take as a reason to get care imediately at all costs is often not seen the same way by people who either don't know better or feel there is no alternative.

Remember common sense isn't common.

Heck, a kid for whom my wife and I recently cared died because parents left three messages on a social worker's phone describing the worsening condition of their son rather than call 911. People's ignorance, hopelessness and lack of awareness can be heartbreaking. The decisions we make under stress are often less than optimal too, and a sick kid is one of the more stressful situations to endure. The parents of the kid who died from rotten teeth should never have been in the hopeless position they were, a fact MD has tried to rectify for parents now.

18 hours ago, twa said:

a Dr couldn't diagnose and prescribe antibiotics for infected tooth?

Was at my dentists office the other day, and he was complaining about trying to money from some insurance company.  Apparently, somebody had an accident of some sort and he did some emergency work to fix a tooth.  The person's dental insurance was claiming because it was the result of an injury it was medical procedure and they would not pay.  The medical insurance was saying since he wasn't an MD, they would not pay.

9 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Was at my dentists office the other day, and he was complaining about trying to money from some insurance company.  Apparently, somebody had an accident of some sort and he did some emergency work to fix a tooth.  The person's dental insurance was claiming because it was the result of an injury it was medical procedure and they would not pay.  The medical insurance was saying since he wasn't an MD, they would not pay.

and I assume they worked it out eventually?

Did anyone die in this story?

so what you are saying is Medicaid provides better coverage than normal insurance with both health and dental coverage?

:kickcan:

not sure if I hate govt or insurance companies more, but when they get together the choice becomes simpler

14 minutes ago, twa said:

and I assume they worked it out eventually?

Did anyone die in this story?

so what you are saying is Medicaid provides better coverage than normal insurance with both health and dental coverage?

:kickcan:

not sure if I hate govt or insurance companies more, but when they get together the choice becomes simpler

I don't know.  They'd been going at it for a while when I was there, and he was starting to push the patient to pay him.  He was tired of having to deal with the insurance companies and was adopting that attitude that he wanted to be paid and the patient could deal with the insurance companies and then be reimbursed.  Nobody died, but I could certainly see a case where there was confusion it did happen.

Again, I don't know, but it certainly seems like having them coupled with the same organization/company might simplify things.

TWA, the gov running Medicaid for many states came to realize dental, vision, and normal health insurance are all connected. Separating them out is silly and harmful for our country.  A doctor explained the need for dental to me like this:  When you inspect a horse for health, one of the first things people look at is the teeth.  The teeth tell us a lot about how the horse is living. People's teeth and breath can tell us a lot, and it can be a very low cost diagnostic tool.  I know I have to smile for my neurologist every time I go. He is looking for symmetry in my face.  Why we separate out the mouth and eyes as if they aren't part of the body needing care is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, gbear said:

TWA, the gov running Medicaid for many states came to realize dental, vision, and normal health insurance are all connected. Separating them out is silly and harmful for our country.  

Sure if someone else is paying.

The example of someone dying because they would not go to the Dr leaves much to be desired though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 12:53 PM, twa said:

Sure if someone else is paying.

That’s how insurance works too. Everybody’s money goes into a big pot. Sometimes you need more than what you put in, most of the time you don’t.

Of course with insurance, you’ve got to put a good chunk of extra money into the pot to make sure the companies get their $6 billion in profit each year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twa said:

profit is bad

Profit isn't inherently good or bad. Money is an excellent servant. It's also a cruel ass mother****er of a master.

Putting profit above people is bad.

I'm Sacks 'n' Stuff and I approve this message.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1

@Renegade7 I cant remember what thread we were discussing the limits of healthcare, Darwin, etc in.  And looking at the threads on the front page and seeing none of them make sense to that topic, I think it is safe to say I was derailing.  So now I will derail this thread.

In the spirit of limiting free healthcare as a means to thin the herd, I would also like to see these people who refuse to evacuate a coming natural disaster not receive any assistance for minimum of a week.  And after that, only if aide can be given with minimal risk to those providing it.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

@Renegade7 I cant remember what thread we were discussing the limits of healthcare, Darwin, etc in.  And looking at the threads on the front page and seeing none of them make sense to that topic, I think it is safe to say I was derailing.  So now I will derail this thread.

In the spirit of limiting free healthcare as a means to thin the herd, I would also like to see these people who refuse to evacuate a coming natural disaster not receive any assistance for minimum of a week.  And after that, only if aide can be given with minimal risk to those providing it.

It was the religion thread, thanks for moving this.

I'm more supportive of the limited FEMA resources for people that choose to staythen you might think, but how do you determine that?  What if its parents who choose to stay and the kids thus don't have a choice?  Mandatory evacuations have to have the resources to get everyone out that wants to leave, place to stay, and way to get them back home, thats not what happened in Katrina

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4860776

SULLIVAN: That decision quickly became a critical mistake and turned the Superdome, the city's shelter of last resort, into a refuge for everyone. Then after the storm, when the levees broke, thousands more came. And the city buses, meant to take them to proper shelters, were underwater.

Ill come back, but something like MFA would be far better for the economy, which we coukd redirect those resources towards substaining our population or even moving out to space.  We cant fix anything if were broke.

Gotta ask, is the challenge of figuring out how to substain the planets growing population not worth it? Who decides. Who dies then?

I could come up with a more eloquent statement about the kids being forced to stay etc but it would still boil down to the "best soldier" theory I used earlier.  I hate to say it, and most don't like it, but you can't save them all.  Not to mention that if they are the offspring of people who thought that the outer banks were a safe place to ride out a hurricane, I don't have high hopes for them anyways.

I would be fine with starting small.  No great measures to save the life of those riding a motorcycle without a helmet, not wearing a seat belt, getting drunk and juggling chain saws.  Pretty much Trumps base.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Gotta ask, is the challenge of figuring out how to substain the planets growing population not worth it? Who decides. Who dies then?

I think population size is the greatest threat facing humanity.  Sure, global warming is sexy.  But who wants to tell people to stop having kids?  (It has been suggested I not use that line when counseling subordinates)

• 2 weeks later...