Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Better team: '92 Dream Team vs '08 Redeem Team

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So who would win the Dream Team or the Redeem Team? Having an argument on Facebook about this. And with the documentary last night, figured this is a good time to ask.

1992 Team:

Jordan

Magic

Bird

Pippen

Barkley

Robinson

Ewing

Stockton

Malone

Mullins

Laettner

Drexler

2008 Team:

Kobe

LeBron

Wade

Carmelo

Paul

Howard

Redd

Prince

Kidd

Bosh

Boozer

My thought is while the 2008 is probably more athletic, there is no way the 92 team would lose. They are better at just about every position.

The 92 team had magic and bird on it who were geasers, especially bird with his bad back... But remember those guys came off the bench, they didn't play most of the minutes. Seriously what team could ever be weaker because of Magic Johnson and Larry Bird's participation? Those guys could still start for most of the teams in this league even with their walkers....

Athletically Jordan, Karl Malone, Barkley, Pipen... I don't see th 08 team being better athletically either.

The Dream Team was the best team ever.

I think 2012 had potential to be better than 1992 before Rose and Howard got hurt. I don't know why we are debating '08.

I don't like '08's bench. 2012's bench had the potential to be sickening. There are three starters on '08 who would be bench players on '12 if everyone is healthy.

I guess 08 since they were the Redeem Team. Even if we do 2012, I'd still say 1992

For me this seriously is a no brainer. Dream Team is a much better team. 2008 team might have little better spring in their legs but the Dream Team is not too far off physically. The players on the Dream Team are just better skilled basketball players. In the skills department, I do not thikn 2008 can hold up against the Dream Team.

Also if they did play against each other, what rules are we going to be playing with. If it is the NBA rules back in 1992 then 2008 has 0% chance. Now if they are playing back the 2008 NBA rules then maybe 2008 team has a chance... However can you imagine players guarding Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, Magic, Pippen, Drexler, and Bird when they are not allowed to hand check and body them up.

Current generation of players can get by pure physically domination as they are more free to drive and move around the court so I think they never really develope real good basketball skills. Allowing the Dream Team to operate in space with the level of skill level they had... 2008 team has no chance...

Also if they did play against each other, what rules are we going to be playing with. If it is the NBA rules back in 1992 then 2008 has 0% chance. Now if they are playing back the 2008 NBA rules then maybe 2008 team has a chance... However can you imagine players guarding Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, Magic, Pippen, Drexler, and Bird when they are not allowed to hand check and body them up.

haha after reading my own post...

Can you imagine Lebron, Carmelo, Wade, Howard, Bosh and the other player being able to their thing if Jordan, Pippen, Barkely, Ewing, Robinson and the rest of the 1992 Dream Team is allowed to body them on defense? I don't think the current players can take that type of physical play for the entire game. Only one would be Kobe from the 2008 team but he probably can't carry the entire team against the Dream Team. I think Pippen in his prime probably can shut down and serisouly make it difficult for Kobe one on one.

On the other hand, the law of probability dictates that the team wit the worst record should claim the no. 1 pick more often than it does, but more, that you shouldn't be able to accurately pick who gets the number 1 75% of the time a month before the regular season ends. Seems dubious.

the 2008 team could give them a great game but the Dream Team wins.

haha after reading my own post...

Can you imagine Lebron, Carmelo, Wade, Howard, Bosh and the other player being able to their thing if Jordan, Pippen, Barkely, Ewing, Robinson and the rest of the 1992 Dream Team is allowed to body them on defense? I don't think the current players can take that type of physical play for the entire game. Only one would be Kobe from the 2008 team but he probably can't carry the entire team against the Dream Team. I think Pippen in his prime probably can shut down and serisouly make it difficult for Kobe one on one.

Lebron is 260 lbs

Carmelo is like 240

Wade was even 225

the perimeter player with the most mass you mentioned there was Pippen who was 220. I dont think the physicality would be a problem for the 2008 team

I also resent this "they were more skilled" argument or that the 2008 team was more athletic than the 1992 team

The Dream Team would win in the end because they had the size advantage down low.

The Dream Team was beating their opponents by 40+ a game. They'd beat the Redeem Team by 20.

it could not be because international basketball standards were no where near as good as they were in 2008.

If the Dream Team played in 2008 against that comp, they would not be winning by 40-50 points a game. These teams were taking pictures during the game, ffs

I don't see 2008 having much chance. Jordan in his prime would emasculate any of today's stars. Jordan and Pippen were lock down defenders. Stockton and Malone were the best combination of pick and rollers in the game. Ewing and Robinson would make Dwight Howard's inside presence manageable. Barkley was a rebounding and scoring machine at this point. Bird and Magic may have been old, but if Jordan decides to play the LeBron game and drive most of his posessions, the 2008 defense would have to statt collapsing on him...which means kicking it out to Bird for threes? Even with a bad back, Larry Bird was a deadeye. Having people like Magic, Mullin, and Drexler off the bench?

Not to mention, super teams like this need an established pecking order. Everyone knew Jordan was the alpha dog, even though Barkley did his best to become 1A. On the 2008 team, Kobe would have to be the Alpha Dog, but we all know Carmelo would want the ball, and that LeBron would defer, which means your most physically gifted player doesn't have the ball in crunch time and shies away from it. With Kobe and Melo fighting for Alpha Dog status, where does Dwight Howard fit in...Wade?

Not to mention, the 2008 bench is a joke by comparision. I can not imagine Tayshaun Prince, Chris Bosh, and Carlos Boozer standing up to the 1992 bench. Even Christian Laettner had a capable career, but you know he'd never see the floor in this matchup.

I know the Redeem Team won the gold and managed to co-exist, but in a game against the 1992 squad, when everyone wants to test Jordan, make their mark against Pippen, etc? I'm going with the team that knew who the alpha dog was and represents one of the highest skilled groups of players in NBA history. I think the 2008 team would implode and infight in this situation.

So who would win the Dream Team or the Redeem Team? Having an argument on Facebook about this. And with the documentary last night, figured this is a good time to ask.

1992 Team:

Jordan

Magic

Bird

Pippen

Barkley

Robinson

Ewing

Stockton

Malone

Mullins

Laettner

Drexler

2008 Team:

Kobe

LeBron

Wade

Carmelo

Paul

Howard

Redd

Prince

Kidd

Bosh

Boozer

That's a clown question, bro.

Here is the fundamental question: who do Magic and Barkley defend? They played a ton of minutes on the '92 team, but I think their D would be a huge problem against the '08 team and especially the '12 team. If '08 rolls out Paul, Wade/Kobe, Lebron, and Melo...the Dream Team has to play zone if they want Magic or Barkley on the floor.

The other big question is are we playing by international rules or NBA rules? I think International rules help the '08 team because the closer three point line makes up for their somewhat lacking three point shooting. The International rules also help '08 because it forces Ewing and Robinson further away from the basket.

And the margin of victory thing is silly. The '92 team could conceivably lose in the 2012 Olympics. (Spain could beat them, I think). There was no chance they were losing in '92. The level of play around the globe is exponentially better now. The Gasol brothers could match up against, say, Barkley and Ewing down low. No team had any hope of matching the '92 team at any position. Kukoc was probably the best international player in '92 and he was simply a good player in the NBA. Spain can now roll out a team with potential and literal NBA all stars at multiple positions.

Archived