Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Better team: '92 Dream Team vs '08 Redeem Team

MattFancy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Kukoc was probably the best international player in '92 and he was simply a good player in the NBA. Spain can now roll out a team with potential and literal NBA all stars at multiple positions.
No' date=' that was Arvydas Sabonis, or maybe Šarūnas Marčiulionis. :geek:[/quote']

you mean that wasnt on the American team? If you so then its Drazen Petrovic.

But Kukoc was the best non NBA player.

No, that was Arvydas Sabonis, or maybe Šarūnas Marčiulionis. :geek:

Sabonis was the best in the world in '84 and maybe '88. By '92, he was a shell who was ravaged by injuries.

Kucok was better than Marciulionis. I think Petrovic was better than him too.

In '92, I would say Kukoc was the best international player with Petrovic second. Divac was better than Sabonis at that point.

(I would have loved to have seen Sabonis in the NBA in '85. That could have been special).

I agree with the previous statement that the 2012 team is the team to compare more favorably with the Dream Team. You'll be adding Kevin Love, Durant, Westbrook, and probably Andrew Bynum while subtracting (for injury) Dwight Howard, Billups, and Tayshaun (not that good.)

But even if the comparison is between 2008 and 1992, it's still not the blowout many of you are making it out to be. Jordan/Pippen/Barkley is substantial, but so is Lebron/Kobe/Melo. Ultimately the difference would be

1) Redeem team would have a hard time defending the post, and

2) Michael Jordan would be the best player on the floor for either team, and Scottie Pippen would be the best defender on the floor for either team.

But I don't know why some of you are acting like the Redeem Team would be at some kind of athletic disadvantage. Kobe is basically the same body structure as Jordan, and Lebron is the most freakishly athletic player in NBA history.

Verdict- Close, but Jordan puts any team he's on over the top.

the 2008 team could give them a great game but the Dream Team wins.

Lebron is 260 lbs

Carmelo is like 240

Wade was even 225

the perimeter player with the most mass you mentioned there was Pippen who was 220. I dont think the physicality would be a problem for the 2008 team

The physicality of the game is not all about pure mass. Also Pippen was a bulky guy in his prime. What I mean by physical play is that in the era the Dream Team played the defenders were allowed to much more contact on the perimeter than today. I woudl think it is easier to adjust from having alot of contact to getting more room to move than the other way around.

Pippen actually talking about this regards to defending Lebron, Wade and such...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7U8_LoyxSM

Jordan's comments regardin today's rules. He think he would have either fouled out or score whole bunch of points. After the first minute then he is couple of idiots just talking...

The dude.. he just explains the rule changes between Jordan days to now... the guy is little awkward but he gives a good breakdown... Really listen to this guy on the rules change,... especially for people who are too young to remember how basketball used to be played back in the day. In the background he has the footage of Jordan getting handchecked and being held all over the court...

I guess the 2008 team playing the current rules could win because probably most of the Dream Team fouls out haha....

ok my inner Jordan fanboy is coming out.. enjoy...

The 92 team had the best passer ever, an unstoppable post presence, and the best player of all time. Oh, and don't forget Charles Barkley and Scottie Pippen.

The 92 team wins because they could beat you in more ways. And they absolutely dominated the whole tourney. The 08 team only won the gold medal game by 5 if I remember. The 92 team also had more depth and could possibly beat the 08 teams starters with their backups.

The 92 team wins because they could beat you in more ways. And they absolutely dominated the whole tourney. The 08 team only won the gold medal game by 5 if I remember. The 92 team also had more depth and could possibly beat the 08 teams starters with their backups.

People do realize the difference in level of competition between '92 and '08, right?

---------- Post added June-14th-2012 at 03:35 PM ----------

Never seen anything like it. There's usually always at least 1.

Who do Magic and Barkley guard?

No one ever answers this.

Anyway, I think '92 beats '08 because of the benches. I think the ideal 2012 team (with Rose and Howard) might be the single best basketball team ever assembled. The fundamental problem with '92 is that it's not actually the best team the US could have sent. Bird was on the team for historical and marketing reasons. Laettner was on the team for who knows what reason. Magic could still play, but he was out of shape and taking HIV medicines. Laettner? Please.

Here is a fun game: Who - by talent and actual playing in the leagueness - should have been on the Dream Team?

Starters

PG - Isiah

SG - Jordan

C - Robinson

SF - Barkley (not a SF but whatever)

PF - Malone

Bench

C - Ewing

G - Richmond

G - Dumars

G - Price

F - Pippen

F - Mullen

F - Larry Johnson

(This may shock you, but I was never a Drexler fan).

my friend says who from the 92 team would guard today's pgs?

Jordan would have to.

The problem is who does Magic guard?

'92 Magic would be hopless against any of the PGs. He would be tall enough to guard Lebron and Melo, but not strong enough.

I think when Magic plays, '92 has to play zone.

What I find interesting is that '08 would be dictating '92's lineups.

Barkley is better than Malone, but Malone has a better chance of physically matching up. Pippen would have to start. Magic would have to be hidden.

It's really interesting.

I honestly think '92 would be best served in that game playing Pippen at the point.

PG - Pippen

SG - Jordan

F - Barkley

F - Malone

C - Robinson

That team would be fierce defensively and a bear on the boards, but suddenly you don't have a ton of shooting on the floor.

LKB, you are crazy. :ols:

But here is an answer:

Put Magic on Lebron and make him try to beat you.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!! That seems like a really bad decision. (You are 23. You never saw Magic play. He wasn't good on defense in his prime. He was really really bad by '91. By '92, he was bad and not playing basketball. Stockton would make Paul work, but I dunno....do you really want to play Stockton at the pont the whole game?)

Durant is not on the '08 team. Also, is no one guarding Chris Paul? That seems dumb.

I don't think anyone really understands how out of basketball shape Magic was in '92. He could play because of the field, but against a truly elite team? That's a problem.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!! That seems like a really bad decision. (You are 23. You never saw Magic play. He wasn't good on defense in his prime. He was really really bad by '91. By '92' date=' he was bad and not playing basketball. Stockton would make Paul work, but I dunno....do you really want to play Stockton at the pont the whole game?)

Durant is not on the '08 team. Also, is no one guarding Chris Paul? That seems dumb.

I don't think anyone really understands how out of basketball shape Magic was in '92. He could play because of the field, but against a truly elite team? That's a problem.[/quote']

My thing is, Lebron is going to get his no matter who checks him. Put Magic over there to get in his way. Dang, LKB, I am just trying to throw stuff out there, I know Magic wouldn't be able to check Lebron.

My thing is, Lebron is going to get his no matter who checks him. Put Magic over there to get in his way. Dang, LKB, I am just trying to throw stuff out there, I know Magic wouldn't be able to check Lebron.

Honestly, worrying about who is checking Lebron is not the priority.

Put Pippen on him, let what happens happens. If I was coaching '92, I'd throw out the guys to run my offense (probably line up something like Stockton, Jordan, Pippen, Malone, Robinson) and make the Redeem team play to me. To be honest, Malone is who Boozer wishes he was, Howard isn't close to Robinson, and basically everyone else is trying to be Jordan. You may lack some of the size, but basketball requires more than enough finesse that talent, skill and wisdom will get you farther than being 6'9 and 240 ( or 260 or whatever Lebron is.)

Archived