Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play Resumes June 4

renaissance

On the technical end, a big problem with using this style of play is that the quality of the passes is just too low. Despite dominating possession, most of our passes are just off—on the wrong side of the receiver, too soft, too strong. The receiving is low quality too, most of the time it's stuck under our feet or it's bouncing up. Watch a barca game and compare.

Tactically, we took our foot off the pedal after the goal. When Barca get a goal they are gunning for the second/third/fourth/fifth until it's truly garbage time. Tactically it doesn't make sense to go conservative after the goal because they've played the majority of the game against a packed defense and now that Jamaica must chase the game and spaces are opening up then you go conservative? No way, these gaps are what you're playing for go take advantage of it.

dempsey lazy. don't just wave your hands, go chase. He's got primadonna syndrome already.

these are his first two matches since June.I get why he is tired.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 10:16 PM ----------

great first half, and then they defended well late.

Survive and advance. US wins out, like they should, and they will take this group.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 10:17 PM ----------

Survive and advance. US wins out, like they should, and they will take this group.

these are his first two matches since June.I get why he is tired.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 10:16 PM ----------

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 10:17 PM ----------

C'mon dude, he battled the goalie all the way to the touchline and he gave up before the play was even a yard away. He plays, for good and bad, with that sense of entitlement now.

Good riddance Kyle Beckerman. May he never get another national team call-up ever again.

Also I was really disappointed with Brek Shea last night. He came in as a sub and looked so hesitant, like he didn't even want to play. Tired of seeing my teams play soft after they get the lead.

I'll update the tables in the OP when I get to work.

The current breakdown-

Team PTS GF GA GD

USA 7 6 4 +2

GUAT 7 6 4 +2

JAM 7 4 3 +1

AB 1 2 7 -5

We play at Antigua Oct 12. Jamaica plays at Guatemala that day as well. The US then plays Guatemala at home and Jamaica hosts Antigua on Oct 16.

The US is in good shape.

A win and a tie in those games guarentees advancement. (eithe game can be the win).

If we beat Antigua (and lets be honest, if we cant beat Antigua, we dont deserve to move on) and the Jamaica/Guat game does NOT end in a tie, then we can even lose to Guatemala and still advance on goal differential.

If the US wins and Guat wins, then a tie in the final game would advance both teams and Jamaica would be screwed. I'd hate to watch it, but we could see one of those games where each side stays on their own half and just passes the ball around for 90 minutes.

Ugly win, but I'll take it. Had a feel like the US vs Mexico, in that we just held the ball for so long but couldn't put one in the net. Fortunately didn't end up as an upset. Personally, I would have liked to see them possess the ball better in the final 20 minutes and show they could hold onto it with REAL midfield pressure, but I guess without Donovan & Bradley, that is asking too much. Entertaining game however, especially first 20 minutes.

Wow, did Mexico get the easy group draw or what?

Costa Rica might be better than both Guatemala and Jamaica. The US's group is a cake walk that the US has managed to turn into a street fight.

I imagine just about every team in CONEMBOL would be happy to switch places with the US.

My wife is Canadian and I've grown some fondness for the place. Too bad their nationals jump ship on them all too often.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 02:25 PM ----------

Costa Rica might be better than both Guatemala and Jamaica. The US's group is a cake walk that the US has managed to turn into a street fight.

I imagine just about every team in CONEMBOL would be happy to switch places with the US.

Costa Rica is complete garbage right now. And they lost their incredible homefield advantage when the stopped playing at Saprissa. Their new stadium is awesome, but the fans are too far away.

El Salvador is better and tougher draw.

Mexico is just that much better than everyone else in CONCACAF right now. However, 4 years ago, the almost lost at this same phase, advancing over Jamaica only on Goal Differential.

As for Canada. They are going to have to paste Cuba in the next game by loads of goals. And then hope for a bunch of other results. I dont think they can beat Honduras in San Pedro Sula.

Before I go look it up, I'm lazily gona' ask those in the know how the next round is formatted?

Hail.

6 team Hexagonal.

Everyone plays home and awy against the other teams.

Top 3 advance.

4th place goes to a playoff with the winner of Oceania. IE- New Zealand.

6 team Hexagonal.

Everyone plays home and awy against the other teams.

Top 3 advance.

4th place goes to a playoff with the winner of Oceania. IE- New Zealand.

Thanks man. Figured it would be something similar.

So really NO excuse at all for the US not to be playing in Brazil and every foreseeable finals whilst CONCACAF remains set up like this.

Hail.

I didn't even realize Oceania was not guaranteed a spot in the finals. Is that why Australia jumped ship?

Yes. They theorized it would be easier to qualify directly in Asia, then it would be to face a home and away every 4 years against a team from CONCACAF or COMNEBOL.

Smart thinking, but they lost yesterday to Jordan, so maybe not now.

Oceania is now New Zealand. I think we could find 11 of us here on ES to give a good match to every other team in Oceania.

I'd call it - Extremeskins 4- Soloman Islands -2. But only because Destino would give up a howler in goal.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

Thanks man. Figured it would be something similar.

So really NO excuse at all for the US not to be playing in Brazil and every foreseeable finals whilst CONCACAF remains set up like this.

Hail.

The Hex is much easier than this round. Has been every year.

Archived