So the Hex is set

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Honduras

Jamaica

Panama

My prediction-

Mexico tops the Hex, losing once and tying once.

The US finishes second, but clinches with two matches to play

Panama wins their final game to clinch a spot

Honduras beats New Zealand in the playoff

Jamaica and Costa Rica are complete disasters.

So the Hex is set

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Honduras

Jamaica

Panama

My prediction-

Jamaica is a disaster? You do realize they beat us like just a few weeks ago? Honduras absolutely demolished Canada Panama is just straight up tough. Costa Rica is definitely not the same one from before. Which is good. Mexico is just too good right now. I don't like our road chances though. I see a lot of road losses. Perhaps ties if we're lucky.

So the Hex is set

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

Honduras

Jamaica

Panama

My prediction-

Jamaica is a disaster? You do realize they beat us like just a few weeks ago? Honduras absolutely demolished Canada Panama is just straight up tough. Costa Rica is definitely not the same one from before. Which is good. Mexico is just too good right now. I don't like our road chances though. I see a lot of road losses. Perhaps ties if we're lucky.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the Honduras stomping of Canada. Canada was without DeRo and playing in Honduras.

Im saying they will be disasters in the Hex.

Yes they beat us. For the first time ever. And if we have the same lineup ( Howard, Goodson, Cameron, Parkhurst, Edu, Johnson, Beckerman, Altidore, Dempsey, Gomez, Jones) then we may struggle again. But with Donovan and Bradley in the lineup (and a fully fit Dempsey), we wont lose to them at home and will more than likely beat them in Jamaica.

Win at home, tie on the road, and hope Mexico pastes everyone everywhere. 15 points should be enough to qualify.

I think the draw takes place in the next week. So we will know dates and opponents soon.

I hope we get Mexico at home in March. First game.

I have little doubt now that we'll advance to Brazil, still not sure what we can bring to the table there. I think where CONCACAF hurts us is that we can be on the front foot and attack and go out to win games. In the WC we're not superior to the teams we really need to beat so we need to sit back and grind out results. Many criticize Italy for boring play in the WCs but it's effective and it's not like their players suck but tournament soccer is different than league soccer. Even Spain has kept it close to the vest in the most recent WC and Euros in the early stages.

Tournament soccer, no matter the tournament, is typically won by the best team, or at least one of the top 2-3 teams.

We arent one of those.

However, every so often, a team simply gets hot and gets some breaks (both on the field, and in the draw). So you see a team like Greece win a Euro. Or a team like France win the World Cup.

We ARE good enough to be one of those type of teams.

And Klinsmann understands the way better than Bob Bradley ever could have dreamed. Our lineup in our knock out round game versus Ghana-

Howard, Cherundolo, Demerit, Bocanegra, JONOTHAN BORNSTEIN, Bradley, RICARDO CLARK, Donovan, Dempsey, Altidore, ROBBIE FINDLEY

There isnt a chance in hell JK sends out any player like the 3 I bolded in that lineup.

Bradley failed in his team selection prior to the WC, and then in his match selection. If he had played appropriately, we could have beaten Ghana, and probably would have been favored to beat Uruguay. Then youre in the final 4. Spain was level with Paraguay with less than 10 minutes left in the quarters. Anything can happen in those later rounds.

The US has the best record it has had since 2002 this year. We arent Brazil, we dont get to ***** about how we look when we win. All that matters is winning.

---------- Post added October-17th-2012 at 03:45 PM ----------

Just an FWIW.

Spain is traveling TO Panama for a friendly in November!

And what did Greece do? Grind out results?

I don't know how people still knock France for winning the WC. At home with one of the all time greats playing a great game/tournament.

We are NOT that good to be France. Dempsey is not Zidane. Our defense lacks the skill and organization. We can certainly be like Greece but have we played like Greece? No. And there's no indication that there's any willingness or desire to play that way.

You say that the top 2-3 teams win the cup. But the teams that advance out of the quarters and semis aren't the better teams? The Spain example is indicative of nothing because they won all but one of their matches with a 1 goal differential. Uruguay? Suarez and Forlan?

And what did Greece do? Grind out results?

I don't know how people still knock France for winning the WC. At home with one of the all time greats playing a great game/tournament.

We are NOT that good to be France. Dempsey is not Zidane. Our defense lacks the skill and organization. We can certainly be like Greece but have we played like Greece? No. And there's no indication that there's any willingness or desire to play that way.

You say that the top 2-3 teams win the cup. But the teams that advance out of the quarters and semis aren't the better teams? The Spain example is indicative of nothing because they won all but one of their matches with a 1 goal differential. Uruguay? Suarez and Forlan?

i agree with the greece comment, they would score and sit back, yes they won, but they certainly werent the better team.... as for spain, they would get up a goal, but they would just own posession, loike 70-30... game in and game out, which exposes their very weak defending hell they would have lost the world cup had it not been a very smart and great save by cassillas, outside of pique there is not one member of that defense i would want on my squad.... but those mids and forwards do such a great job of holding possession and breaking defenses down

I really dont see the poiint here.

We are winning games. And winning games against good teams.......on the road.

I just dont see where anyone can look at the US side right now and say we arent playing well. Or that we are somehow playing WORSE than before JK.

All anyone should need to know about JK: He won a game in Mexico City for the first time. EVER. With a C+ side against Mexico's B+ side. On top of that, we won a game in Italy. The US is in no danger of becoming a top 3 world team. But we are getting to the point that other nations have to take us seriously -- something that no one really did before our showing in Korea at the WC and in SA at the Confed Cup. Beating Spain and leading Brazil were serious accomplishments. Without the frustrating as hell Bob Bradley laying some of the ground work, JK isn't in the position he is in today. But Bob was stubborn at giving suck playing time. JK called out our "most talented" player for being lazy (Altidore). And say what you want, Clint Dempsey is a STUD. All he does is score and set up other people. When we get Donovan back, Dempsey, Donovan, Zusi, Bradley can stabilize the midfield for the US. The biggest challenge JK has left before the WC is shoring up the D.

All anyone should need to know about JK: He won a game in Mexico City for the first time. EVER. With a C+ side against Mexico's B+ side. On top of that, we won a game in Italy. The US is in no danger of becoming a top 3 world team. But we are getting to the point that other nations have to take us seriously -- something that no one really did before our showing in Korea at the WC and in SA at the Confed Cup. Beating Spain and leading Brazil were serious accomplishments. Without the frustrating as hell Bob Bradley laying some of the ground work, JK isn't in the position he is in today. But Bob was stubborn at giving suck playing time. JK called out our "most talented" player for being lazy (Altidore). And say what you want, Clint Dempsey is a STUD. All he does is score and set up other people. When we get Donovan back, Dempsey, Donovan, Zusi, Bradley can stabilize the midfield for the US. The biggest challenge JK has left before the WC is shoring up the D.

This.

That midfield can hang with the best midfields in the world if Zusi continues his rise. Or if Holden can ever get healthy.

Further, we have LOADS of other midfield options. IE, we can play Danny Williams as Dmid, let Bradley run the O with Dempsey moving up top. Or we can bring in Jermaine Jones and/or Edu if we need to lock down a lead.

Ironically, our wing defenders now are stronger than our mids. But I think Cameron plus one becomes a rock solid tandem. I think O Gonzalez is the key. Goodson is fine, but not great.

And if we could ever get Timmy Chandler to give up his pipe dream of playing for Germany...........

Im hoping this is a wakeup call for Altidore. JK will absolutely sit your ass down if you arent giving 100 percent.

RE: Bob Bradley. His stubborness leading up to and into the 2010 WC cost us a chance at advancing farther. But that stubborness also made his kid that much better for this cycle. (shrugs).

1) Spain winning by 1 goal is not unusual. They compeltely dominate possession. Note when we did play them in friendly in like late 2010 we got killed 4-0 I believe.

2) We had never loss to Jamaica. Until now. What good teams did we beat on the road? Because even Dempsey said they did a bad job on the road. We beat A&B on the road. We drew in Guatemala and loss in Jamaica. I can't see how anyone can predict us to win in Jamaica after we just loss there and have never won there before.

3) We are currently not one of those teams that can just get hot in the World Cup. Perhaps when 2014 we will be but as of right now we are not. Anyone who thinks we are in probably in for a big disappointment unless we have some drastic improvements.

4) Who is taking us serious? No one. Honestly, I don't mind that. I'd rather us be under the radar. "Don't Tread on Me" isn't just a phrase.

5) France was very impressive against Spain. They should have won that game. For once France actually cared.

The fact there is a lot of work to do before US can truly be taken serious. I do hope Jurgen is indeed the the right guy and I think he is(even if he makes me scratch my head some). However, people are really setting themselves up for disappointment as far as what we can do RIGHT NOW. Once our U 17s come along we'll really see Jurgen shine hopefully. Jurgen will have limited influence over U20s(Olympic team) since he came late. Why do you think Mexico is doing so well? It took getting the right managers and developing their youth. It took them years to do that and they are seeing the rewards. It's going to take years before we really see a truly great team. We're good/decent but we lack a great defense right now and still developing identity. People have their hopes up way too high for what we can do as of the present time.

1) Spain winning by 1 goal is not unusual. They compeltely dominate possession. Note when we did play them in friendly in like late 2010 we got killed 4-0 I believe.

2) We had never loss to Jamaica. Until now. What good teams did we beat on the road? Because even Dempsey said they did a bad job on the road. We beat A&B on the road. We drew in Guatemala and loss in Jamaica. I can't see how anyone can predict us to win in Jamaica after we just loss there and have never won there before.

3) We are currently not one of those teams that can just get hot in the World Cup. Perhaps when 2014 we will be but as of right now we are not. Anyone who thinks we are in probably in for a big disappointment unless we have some drastic improvements.

4) Who is taking us serious? No one. Honestly, I don't mind that. I'd rather us be under the radar. "Don't Tread on Me" isn't just a phrase.

5) France was very impressive against Spain. They should have won that game. For once France actually cared.

Again, we threw out a lineup in Jamaica that doenst accurately represent what we will see the next time. On the road in the last 12 months, we've beaten Slovenia (35 in the world), Italy (8), and Mexico (18). Those are all quality sides.

We have the best record this calendar year we've had in a decade.

I just dont know how people can ignore these things and focus on a bad game with an, at best, B level side in Jamaica.

Again, we threw out a lineup in Jamaica that doenst accurately represent what we will see the next time. On the road in the last 12 months, we've beaten Slovenia (35 in the world), Italy (8), and Mexico (18). Those are all quality sides.

We have the best record this calendar year we've had in a decade.

I just dont know how people can ignore these things and focus on a bad game with an, at best, B level side in Jamaica.

Those were friendlies. They don't even count for FIFA rankings. Slovenia- Alright I'll give you that one though we got dominated most of the 2nd half as I remember. Italy- They were missing a bunch of regulars. We managed a goal and then were under fire the entire rest of the game basically. The last 15 mins especially where we were dominated and somehow weren't scored on. Mexico- We pulled out a late goal but for the most part Mexico had basically all the chances and the possession. If not for Howard we probably lose or draw.

These wins sound all great and all however we have the common theme in them of barely surviving. We didn't control those games. We just managed to pull them off.

Those were friendlies. They don't even count for FIFA rankings. Slovenia- Alright I'll give you that one though we got dominated most of the 2nd half as I remember. Italy- They were missing a bunch of regulars. We managed a goal and then were under fire the entire rest of the game basically. The last 15 mins especially where we were dominated and somehow weren't scored on. Mexico- We pulled out a late goal but for the most part Mexico had basically all the chances and the possession. If not for Howard we probably lose or draw.

These wins sound all great and all however we have the common theme in them of barely surviving. We didn't control those games. We just managed to pull them off.

^^^^ this..... all weve heard since 2002 was how good the US is going to be..... im still waiting for them to get over that hump, until then i see the same ol same ol, qualifying in a very weak concacaf, barely making out of the group stage, and then beat in the first elimination game.... dont like all the homers who say the US is a great team, we are just an above average squad at best

Isnt that exactly how a team like Greece wins?

Im fully aware that we arent a top 10 team. I doubt we will ever be a top 5 team in my lifetime.

But as long as we find a way to win games, that's all that matters to me.

I still am not sure what you want the US side to be.?

---------- Post added October-17th-2012 at 08:56 PM ----------

^^^^ this..... all weve heard since 2002 was how good the US is going to be..... im still waiting for them to get over that hump, until then i see the same ol same ol, qualifying in a very weak concacaf, barely making out of the group stage, and then beat in the first elimination game.... dont like all the homers who say the US is a great team, we are just an above average squad at best

Who is it that is saying we are a great team?

And what will it take, in your definition, for them to be considered great?

Isnt that exactly how a team like Greece wins?

Im fully aware that we arent a top 10 team. I doubt we will ever be a top 5 team in my lifetime.

But as long as we find a way to win games, that's all that matters to me.

I still am not sure what you want the US side to be.

This is nothing to do with what I want them to be rather than what they are. If you think this Greek bunkering after scoring one goal technique will work in qualifiers it won't. Tell me how well it work out for Greece last Euro? They managed to pull a shocker one time in the Euro and people think that's a successful style. I'm not saying we need to be all out attack either aka Germany. Then you blow leads at home that you have no business blowing. Those bunkering techniques worked in friendlies when the other side was only half halfheartedly playing. Nothing was on the line. Bunkering will not work when we play a game that determines who goes to the world cup. We're finding ways to win against teams in friendlies or weak competition. Guatemala was the best performance of the qualifiers. The A&B games were lousy even the one at home. The fact that they even scored on us in the Tampa game is ridic considering how dominated they were. Yet we won 3-1. People are in for a rude awaking if the team we've been seeing lately shows up to the hex. Even as nice as the Guatemala game was we still managed to get scored in the first few mins because our defenders fell asleep. If Guatemala can do that to us wait until we play a really good hex team. They will make you pay dearly for falling asleep on defense.

Those were friendlies. They don't even count for FIFA rankings.

Pretty sure they do. Just not as much as competition.

I think the US has come a long way since the disastrous early-mid 90s. JK is trying to make that next step and that won't happen overnight. The resiliency and character shown over the last few tournaments (bar 08, which was pants) has been impressive to me.

Archived