Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers yanked from practice with fire ants in his pants

Titaw

Cowboys fullback Lawrence Vickers yanked from practice with fire ants in his pants

By Will Brinson

What would be the worst insect to have crawling around in your pants? Probably fire ants, I'd think. Add in the fact that football pants are way tighter than regular pants, and it's hard not to feel bad for fullback Lawrence Vickers, who was removed from Cowboys practice with fire ants in his pants on Wednesday.

Making matters even worse is that Vickers recently found out that he's allergic to fire ants.

"Fire ants got in my pants," Vickers said, per Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News. "I was freaking out. Oh, ants!"

click here for the entire article

Now this did make me chuckle because I know EXACTLY how it feels to have a colony of fire ants atack. The only thing that gave me pause was the fact that he was allergic.

I found out I was allergic when I was playing football in Louisiana. The skin around each bite turned hard like leather and swelled up pretty big. I was just gonna wait it out but everyone was telling me it would stop my heart so I headed to the hospital to get me some shots. Then I probably hit Bourbon St. for some more...

I had no idea fire ants even existed, I never seen them growing up in upstate NY. I just thought they were ants.

yeaa it does sound painful...

Oh it is quite painful. I just think back of the times that I was attacked by fire ants, and thinking of how quickly they cover whatever area they are attacking. I'll put it this way once you've felt the first bite you'll have hundreds of these things covering the area. It is incredible how fast hundreds of these things basically swarm. We watched a colony devour an entire frog in a matter of minutes when I was in North Carolina.

"I was trying not to squeeze myself in front of women out there," Vickers said. "I wanted to pull my pants down and run inside, but I couldn't do that. When those ants get close to those testicles, there ain't no laughing about that."

When I read that, I couldn't help but laugh. Sorry.

But then again, I remember vividly when I was fishing on a bank as a kid, went to take care of some business and unknowingly wiped myself with poison oak.

"I was trying not to squeeze myself in front of women out there," Vickers said. "I wanted to pull my pants down and run inside, but I couldn't do that. When those ants get close to those testicles, there ain't no laughing about that."

But then again, I remember vividly when I was fishing on a bank as a kid, went to take care of some business and unknowingly wiped myself with poison oak.

Hahaha OMG!! I am dieing over here

next time play it safe and sacrifice a sock

this is quickly becoming my favorite thread. the funniest things in life are often true stories

Oh it is quite painful. I just think back of the times that I was attacked by fire ants, and thinking of how quickly they cover whatever area they are attacking. I'll put it this way once you've felt the first bite you'll have hundreds of these things covering the area. It is incredible how fast hundreds of these things basically swarm. We watched a colony devour an entire frog in a matter of minutes when I was in North Carolina.

Everyone here in the Carolinas keep Fire Ant granules to put on mounds. It's also amazing how fast they can build a mound. Damn them things hurt. Had a couple get ahold of my foot, even though I had shoes on. Then you get those little puss filled balls where they bit you.

Serious question: if he's allergic to ants, and needs to take some type of steroid because of this, can he be suspended by the NFL for it?
Corticosteroids are prescribed to dial down immune responses, such as allergic reactions. Anabolic steroids are prescribed to dial up muscle synthesis. Two totally different classes of hormones. Corticosteroids are not banned substances.

Corticosteroids are prescribed to dial down immune responses, such as allergic reactions. Anabolic steroids are prescribed to dial up muscle synthesis. Two totally different classes of hormones. Corticosteroids are not banned substances.

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize the distinction, but that makes sense.

I've had something similar happen. At lacrosse camp in high school I threw my gloves down on a hill while I got some water. I out them back on and got swarmed. My hands ballooned. Couldn't use my hands for like a week. As a teenage boy, this was a detriment to my "social agenda".

I've had something similar happen. At lacrosse camp in high school I threw my gloves down on a hill while I got some water. I out them back on and got swarmed. My hands ballooned. Couldn't use my hands for like a week. As a teenage boy, this was a detriment to my "social agenda".
"Social agenda" :ols:

When i was in the USAF at tech school in Mississippi, they used to march us to school.

There was a strip called the Bomb Run where all the flights would form up to march across base. If one flight got there earlier than the one that was supposed to be in front of them, they used to have to march them off into the grass and backwards, all precise.

One day they marched a flight into the grass, and there was a girl in the back rank, rather attractive blond.. even in her fatigues. After a few seconds she started jumping and wiggling, and sure enough her pants were full of fire ants from the hill on top of which she stood when halted..

They called up a car to get her out, but before it could get there a bunch of NCOs took of their shirts and formed a screen so she could get her pants off.

I did not envy them.

~Bang

i was working in houston and was sitting on side of the road doing some testing, when i got up i pushed off the ground with my hand and when i looked at it it was covered in fireants. they were all around my boots and some up my arm.

the issue for me wasn't as much the stinging as me going the rest of the week with an itching sensation all the time.

Archived