Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gallup: In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

alexey

Things that impact long-term success of our nation are a matter of patriotism.

You do not have an absolute right to practice your faith. For example, you cannot stone people to death whenever the Bible commands you to do that.

I am much more concerned about peoples' extreme skepticism on global warming, which has a more direct economic and political impact. And while I believe there is a high correlation between those skeptical of global warming and those skeptical of evolution, there is much less of a religious component to global warming beliefs. The same population of people also likely correlates with a belief that Obama was born in Kenya, which is not something that was recorded in the Bible.

So I don't think that religious per se is the problem. There is a more fundamental problem with the way that people evaluate evidence and form conclusions. And I think we would make a lot more progress on that front by teaching people how these ideas are compatible with their religious beliefs, rather than telling people that their religious beliefs are wrong.

BS. What you just wrote is exactly what every single totalitarian government in the history of humanity has expressed just before they began persecuting anyone unlike themselves. Congrats, you and Hitler have something in common. And yes, I mean that.

You do not have an absolute right to practice your faith. For example, you cannot stone people to death whenever the Bible commands you to do that.

So you want to equate a religious belief of the creation of the world with stoning someone to death? Let me know how that works out for you.

I've said before that I don't believe and personally "believe" the world would be a much better place without religion, from a view of all living things being of equal importance. I also don't exactly think highly of our species and can't figure out one thing we've done to improve life for any other living thing other than our own selfish, locust like species.

Why you gots to be hatin on locusts?????? :silly:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Of what form of creationists do you speak?

the closest answer for me would be creationist, yet I,nor most I know hold to 10,000 years,nor have a problem with evolution as sciences best theory

there are even creationists that believe Neanderthals evolved before man was created and prior civilizations

http://www.oldearth.org/neanderthal.htm

I never noticed this until yesterday.

You really do personalize every one of these threads' date=' don't you?

Tell the truth: You own several full-length mirrors, right?[/quote']

If religion is a great threat, and I'm religious, how is it not a fair question?

No wait.

Don't answer that. I've had quite enough of your antics to last me a lifetime.

I see a qualitative difference between trying to remove something and trying to create something.

Both are employed to accomplish ProjectReasons stated goals. Which is not intended to imply that you are associated with them.

I have no problem with belief systems that do not lead one to deny scientific knowledge.

So what do you think should be done with all the world's religions then? You clearly have a problem with them.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys' date=' but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book Well That About Wraps It Up For God.[/quote']

Yea, ok. I don't recall "god" ever saying that he'd never provide any proof of his existence because it would destroy the concept of faith. But can you answer my question?

I'm not 100% convinced of either position. But what I've noticed from my short time here, leads me to believe that the organized religions of today probably don't represent what "God" might be. Given my observations, I've concluded that humans flourish when reason, individual liberty, and justice are valued more than faith and providence. I teach my kids that it is they who are in control of their path, and that hard work does pay off. These values seem to be in conflict with faith, providence, and the idea that something else out there is pulling the strings. For these reasons, I am an agnostic.

I respect your position, though i don't agree with it... I would say that the topic of "faith" in most modern churches have been taught inaccurately and not in line with the Bible.. Any "believer" who believes that we are robots, where God is pulling strings doesn't have a good contextual grasp of what faith really is. Hard work, personal accountability, common sense (wisdom) is a common theme within the scriptures... but I do understand why you feel the way that you do, because alot of professing Christians' ideology is so jacked up that they make the entire faith appear to be wacky!!

I share your views Alexey.

Regardless of what people think the worth of religion is in this world, or what their opinion is of our species, there are enough intelligent and reasonable humans to make up for the rest. The projected path of technology, specifically in the bio-technology department will evolve us synthetically into almost demi-god like beings. Religion will likely taper off at some point in the next 500 years as technology is accelerated to unprecedented levels of power. To think, that we are on the brink of achieving immortality, cryotechnology, nuclear fusion, etc, and already are creating clones, artificial organs, robotic limbs, etc. We are our own gods.

Until God himself comes down in the beam of light, science and reason will methodically overtake the popular mind, and already has in other countries.

Ok, so Predicto and Stickboy aren't 100% convinced either way, but Bang appears sure. This question can be referred to all three of you: Is there piece of evidence that could be presented to you, in favor of the existence of "God," that would change your mind (Bang) or cause you to say "yea, I think God probably exists."?

The question about God can be discussed while acknowledging a fact that religion itself is man made and that it has evolved over the course of human history.

Lol. Only Siths deal in absolutes.

I'll go with whatever the scientific concensus currently holds, and I'll be willing to change my views as more scientific evidence comes in. :)

cause your scientific theory has holes in it :pfft: :ols:

Stamping out religion for the good of country? Where have I heard that before...
No joke.

Change that to "dogmatism"... do you still have a problem with it?

Do you have a problem with history of all religions being taught in the public school? Would you agree that this would greatly diminish many people's ability to indoctrinate their children into a particular belief system?

I'm curious why belief in evolution is so important in the vast scale of science and life?

I can understand religious fundamentalists making a big deal out of it,but why the secularists?

I think that's where the frustration lies... a creationist would call someone who subscribes to evolution as them having a "belief" in it. And that same said creationist would then say... well, if you can have your "belief" and get to tell MY children about it in school... why can't I tell YOUR child about MY God and where I think everything came from?

Here's the issue. Do you *believe* in gravity? Do you *believe* the earth is round? Of course not. It's not a belief. It can be studied... observed... tested and retested.

There are scientific principles that are the building blocks for future discoveries and solutions in the universe. The basic fundamentals of evolution ARE A PART of those scientific building blocks, and the uber religious continuously denying this fact... or trying to remove the ability for children to study this in a science class with a science teacher are harming future jumps in our own evolution.

Religion is a philosophy. Science is science.

That doesn't fix the frustrations on both sides... that just makes it worse. And here we are.

You should read the story and the thread before you get your dander up once again, hothead. :silly:

You should take your own advice on reading the thread. From the OP:

I think we need to do more than just decide that "this is not for me". Such shocking levels of scientific ignorance are not good for our country. It is our patriotic duty to push back against it.

You do not have an absolute right to practice your faith.

I share your views Alexey.

Regardless of what people think the worth of religion is in this world, or what their opinion is of our species, there are enough intelligent and reasonable humans to make up for the rest. The projected path of technology, specifically in the bio-technology department will evolve us synthetically into almost demi-god like beings. Religion will likely taper off at some point in the next 500 years as technology is accelerated to unprecedented levels of power. To think, that we are on the brink of achieving immortality, cryotechnology, nuclear fusion, etc, and already are creating clones, artificial organs, robotic limbs, etc. We are our own gods.

Until God himself comes down in the beam of light, science and reason will methodically overtake the popular mind, and already has in other countries.

After a nuclear post like that ... this seems appropriate.

thermonuclear-mushroom-cloud-300x200.jpg

Ok, so Predicto and Stickboy aren't 100% convinced either way, but Bang appears sure. This question can be referred to all three of you: Is there piece of evidence that could be presented to you, in favor of the existence of "God," that would change your mind (Bang) or cause you to say "yea, I think God probably exists."?

We'd have to define what is to be considered evidence.

I've had people claim the answer is that it's all around me, and other vague allusions.

It would have to be hard evidence. Send 60 Minutes to the Silver City.

I know that sounds ludicrous and that I am making fun,, and I'm not. It's just that the sort of evidence that constitutes proof of reality has to be complete. No missing links or logical dots that must be connected to arrive at the final proof.

~Bang

Is there something short of the beam of light that might convince you otherwise? For instance, what if a person who you trusted deeply told you, "God came down in a beam of light to me," i.e. would you only accept first hand evidence?

I'm curious why belief in evolution is so important in the vast scale of science and life?

I can understand religious fundamentalists making a big deal out of it,but why the secularists?

Name another generally accepted scientific theory that is under constant attack?

If the Baptists were attacking gravity or the laws of motion, people would defend that too.

We'd have to define what is to be considered evidence.

I've had people claim the answer is that it's all around me, and other vague allusions.

It would have to be hard evidence. Send 60 Minutes to the Silver City.

I know that sounds ludicrous and that I am making fun,, and I'm not. It's just that the sort of evidence that constitutes proof of reality has to be complete. No missing links or logical dots that must be connected to arrive at the final proof.

~Bang

How about this-- you can define the evidence. Could you give me an example (not something funny, I know how you are...) that might make you change your mind?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=south-korea-surrenders-creationist-demands

Mention creationism, and many scientists think of the United States, where efforts to limit the teaching of evolution have made headway in a couple of states. But the successes are modest compared with those in South Korea, where the anti-evolution sentiment seems to be winning its battle with mainstream science.

A petition to remove references to evolution from high-school textbooks claimed victory last month after the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MEST) revealed that many of the publishers would produce revised editions that exclude examples of the evolution of the horse or of avian ancestor Archaeopteryx. The move has alarmed biologists, who say that they were not consulted. “The ministry just sent the petition out to the publishing companies and let them judge,” says Dayk Jang, an evolutionary scientist at Seoul National University.

Somehow, despite this marked scientific disadvantage, Koreans are making all of our electronics.

samsung-3d-ready-plasma.jpg

Take-control-of-LG-Washing-Machine-with-Android-Smartphone-Picture.jpg

Archived