Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Fred Davis talks about suspensions, rookie quarterbacks and more

themurf

6456780947_ae8acb5cfd.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

There wasn’t much to like about the Washington Redskins’ offense in 2011.

For every positive — such as the emergence of rookie running backs Roy Helu Jr. and Evan Royster — there were countless negatives — like turnover-prone quarterbacks, an injury-riddled offensive line and receivers who struggled to get any yards after a catch.

If that wasn’t bad enough, the Redskins then lost tight end Fred Davis and left tackle Trent Williams for four games after they both failed multiple drug tests.

Both are considered cornerstones of Washington’s offense, and yet, neither was available to play for the final four games of the season because of the dumbest reason imaginable.

Davis, in particular, was in the midst of a breakout year — with 59 catches for 796 yards and three touchdowns over the first 12 games of the ‘11 season — before the league handed down his punishment.

Plenty has changed with the burgundy and gold since Davis last took to the field, so I caught up with the 26-year-old recently to talk about the suspension and much more. Here’s what he had to say:

Okay, be honest with me, you didn’t want the Redskins to draft Robert Griffin III. You wanted your boy Matt Barkley to come out this year so you could catch passes from a USC guy, didn’t you?

(Laughs.) “Ain’t nothing wrong with a little USC Trojan love,” Davis said. “But I’ll take RGIII, man. He’s definitely a great player and has a lot of talent. He’s got a good head on his shoulders too.”

I know it’s early, but what have you seen from Griffin so far?

“I mean, the things that they say are all true,” he said. “He’s made some incredible passes over the last few weeks that definitely stand out to me, and everything else — the running and his speed — that’s a given with him. His passing and understanding of the game, you can already see how much he’s studying and working. And you see him in the film room too. He’s working hard to get better every day.”

I don’t think I’m going out on a limb by saying you were probably this team’s number-one weapon last season. If Griffin is half as good as advertised, what does having a legitimate quarterback like that do for your game?

“It can do a lot for me,” Davis said. “Just to have someone who can put the ball in places to give me opportunities, like with Alge Crumpler and Mike Vick. A lot of times a young quarterback who is coming into the league needs an outlet to dump it off too, and that can be the tight end. And we’ve also got more weapons now, with Santana [Moss] coming back and losing some weight. He’s looking good. We’ve added Pierre [Garçon] and Josh [Morgan]. I think we’re gonna be good.”

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, we need to talk about how last season ended. How difficult was it to be forced out of the lineup because of a bad decision?

“Oh, it was tough, man,” he said. “You know, it’s definitely a lesson learned and it’s something I’ll never do again. I never want to have to go through anything like that experience again. During the process, it was tough not being there for my teammates.

“But now, it’s all been forgotten about and it’s water under the bridge,” Davis continued. “They know it’s not something I’m going to do again and that I’ll be there for them.”

What did you do on gamedays during the suspension?

“I was working out and watching the games at the house,” he said. “It was very boring, and it was weird. But honestly, it sucked because I knew I could have been out there playing and helping my team. It felt like my rookie year when I knew I could play, but I couldn’t get out there on the field. It sucked just watching it on film and knowing the areas I could help them in.”

What made the suspension so tough was that you were putting together such a solid season up until that point — having already set new career highs in catches and receiving yards …

“I definitely feel like I can build off of last year,” Davis said. “After last season, I feel like people are going to expect more from me. Not only that, but opposing defenses are going to expect more too, so I’ve got to be on my game even more. So I’ve got to become more of a total player in areas I’ve never had to focus on as much before. Mentally, it’s going to be a challenge, but at the same time it’s a great experience to go through when you grow as a player.”

What’s your relationship like with Chris Cooley? For some reason, there are a number of fans out there who feel like the team should only utilize one of you rather than try and establish depth. For whatever reason, the idea of you two coexisting and working together seems unimaginable to these people.

Click here for the full article.

Nice work, murf. For all the people saying that this kid is such a red flag, I just don't see it. I mean, of course I understand the fact that he's a risk simply due to the fact he's already had a suspension, but in everything I've read & seen from him since, he comes across as "getting it" & will be just fine going forward. I think too often we forget these guys are kids. And in Freddy D's case, I think he's a kid who messed up, realized he messed up, and has his head on VERY straight to ensure it won't happen again.

Just my $.02.

And keep these comin' Murf.

Good read as always. Talk is talk, yet I have a feeling that he is excited to play with RG3 and won't mess up again. I'd like to hear the same from Trent.

Trent already mentioned that he has moved on from last season and plans to be on the straight and narrow.

---------- Post added June-5th-2012 at 08:53 AM ----------

Imagine all of the speed we have now.. this offense has the potential to be rediculous. Freddie and Paul (TEs).. Garcon, Hank, Morgan, Moss, (WRs)... Hightower, Helu, Royster (RBs)... RGIII (QB). :)

Great article. Everything Davis said is exactly what you want to hear from a player. He also seems to have his head on straight concerning his suspension, which is good.

I’m expecting big things from him this year. If RGIII gets into trouble on a play, Davis is going to be one of his quick ways out. Between that and his overall ability, I could see him cracking 1k yards, and getting a nice handful of TDs.

So with the hometown discount he’s the #3 TE I’ll be looking at in Fantasy this year, behind Gronk and Graham.

Good interview Murf! I'm excited to see the chemistry between Freddy-D and RGIII. It's awesome to hear Fred acknowledge that he must continue to improve and that he is no longer under the radar of opposing defenses. He's always been a hard worker and he'll have a great career with the 'Skins. HTTR

Our offense is going to be very good this year.

I would say 'different' at this point. But, anything different from what we have had the past few seasons will be a good thing.

As for Davis... well time will tell. I hope beyond hope that he gets it, but as we all know, what people say in interviews is not necessarily what they believe in practice or in private. Maybe the loss of $$$ was stimulus enough to put down the bong until his career in the NFL is done. Then he can relax and puff away to his hearts content.

Good article thanks for posting. It's funny how things pan out. I remember losing it when we dropped a 2nd round pick on Davis - given Cooley's success and the teams other needs at the time. Now I'm among the group praying that he keeps his nose clean so he can be a key part of our offense for the next 4 or 5 years. I wouldn't have guessed that he would be the only person out of that entire 2008 draft class that actually panned out for the Skins. Who knew?

Fred is saying all the right things, but he needs to prove himself.

If he was a Cowboy and had the past of over sleeping meetings and a drug related suspension, and said all the same things, everyone here would be saying, "Yeah right, he's a troubled bum!"

He also said he hasn't made any lifestyle changes..

here is what he actually said:

Asked for his response to the incident, Williams said, “It is what it is. I made a mistake. I’ve just got to deal with it.”

Williams said he hasn’t had to make any specific lifestyle changes, but that he knows how to carry himself in the future..

“Be more of a leader,” Williams said. “Obviously not make the mistakes I made in the past. Just be a better player and lead by example.”

...sounds like a man that is ready to move on and be a leader.

Fred and the team have a lot riding on his learning from his experience. Actions speak louder than words. Being tagged as a franchise player should have left no question in Fred's mind about how the team felt about him. The ball is in his court.

Davis did something that didn't allow him to finish out the 2011 season, and therefore cost himself a legitimate shot at going to the Pro Bowl. I think that he now realizes that and will never do that again. I also think that Davis is just as curious as all of us as to just how good he can actually be with a legit QB.

Also, who believes that Davis was working out and watching the games on game day?:ols:

here is what he actually said:

...sounds like a man that is ready to move on and be a leader.

Don’t disagree. Just saying if you heard the interview, he was given an opportunity to address what if anything he has changed (for the first time since his suspension) and his response was very nonchalant. I know Trent is a laid back guy, but I prefer how Davis has addressed the issue in the media. Not that it matters. I hope they both stay out of trouble and have career years.

When asked about changing his ways, Williams said that he did not plan to do so.

“We’re dealing with the program,” he said. “They take certain amount of measures to make sure it doesn’t occur again. But not really.”

Given another chance to say he was going to alter his lifestyle to help ensure that the “measures” will be effective, he simply replied, “Nah.”

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/05/williams-in-program-but-is-not-changing-his-ways.html

Actions speak louder than words.

Agree. That’s the bottom line.

Wow. I keep reading comments like, actions speak louder than words and talk is cheap.

It's obvious his actions are on par with his words. I mean seriously do any of you think he hasn't been drug tested since his suspension? He smoked pot, got caught and is now moving on. Just like Trent. Some of you act like he cannot be trusted because of that one mistake. He has no other off field issues. He is a hard worker. I trust what he says.

He will have a breakout year catching passes from RGIII.

Archived