Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are the early patterns you see so far with Shanahan and Allen running the Redskins?

we are getting alot of solid attention and press because of RG-3, but check out power rankings or experts picks for the upcoming year. Check out the odds of us to win anything this year. Apparently RG-3 or not most of the country besides my always hopeful ass thinks so.

What's your definition of "laughing stock", then? lol...because my definition has zero to do with power rankings.

As for what other fans think, there was just recently a thread on the Cowboys' fans message board asking if the "stock" of each NFC East team was up, down or remained the same...since this is a Dallas fan board, if the Skins were indeed still being seen as a "laughing stock" then that thread on that site would be THE perfect place to hear fans cackling about how bad we are perceived to be.

Only one person on that thread described the Redskins as anything close to a laughing stock...here's what the rest said:

Redskins, stasis. They will begin to improve, but it won't be evident this year as they have some growing pains and the $36 million in cap room they have to spread over 2 years is unfair and will handicap them.
Skins - staus quo - with a rookie QB, can't see them being better until RGIII proves it. They have some talent of defense, but offense is still a question.
Redskins - stock up. RGIII, regardless of how he plays, has already improved things around DC. The team has legitimate hope in their QB and the team and fan base will be sky high to start the season. Griffin might not light it up throwing the ball right away, but his ability to run will be a problem from jumpstreet. Shanahan will devise ways to get him in the open field and will simplify things initially to make it easier for RGIII to complete passes. They are a team way up on intangibles and hope. They improved their WR Corps (but not as much as Redskin fans think). They do have problems in the secondary, and that can be a killer in the NFC East, and their OL isn't great, but overall I can't NOT say they've improved when they replace Grossman with Griffin. Grossman was an anchor dragging that team down and Griffin is the kind of player that will elevate those around him. Huge difference IMO. It will take some time for RGIII, but I see that team as one on the upswing.
Redskins, EVEN or up. 5-11 or 6-10

The tough NFC East makes it hard on these guys to add too many wins...at least this year. They made some very nice additions but are still a nothch or two below the other 3 teams.

Redskins up- I believe in RG3 and QB is most important position on the field. Does not have enough around him but a huge step in the right direction.
Redskins - Up

Acquiring a franchise QB always helps and their defense is legit, I think they still come out last in the division.

Redskins - Up

For now. They got their QB. Now let's see if he was worth all those picks. If he's not, they nosedive into the dirt as the doormat of the division once again. This will not merely be a good or bad offseason for the Redskins. It's either going to be terrific or awful.

Redskins - Stock Up

The days when the Redskins were an afterthought in the division appear to be coming to an end. The single addition of RG3 makes the Redskins an entirely different team. Backed by an underrated defense that can harrass opposing QBs, Washington has all the pieces in place to be competitive week in and week out. With the dynamic rookie QB at the helm, and a deep group of playmakers that includes; Garcon, Moss, Morgan, Hankerson, Davis, Cooley, Hightower and Helu, Washington will rarely find themselves in a game they're out of. Kudos to Snyder for realizing what drafting a franchise QB like Griffin can do for your team.

I think the Sk*ns end up being better once their rookie QB settles in. That was a tough defensive team that had almost no offensive weapons. Now they have some, and they're well coached.
I am a big believer in RGIII, for starters. He has the potential to be a better version of Michael Vick. I watched quite a few of RGIII's games last year and I have to say the lack of talent around him, especially on the defesive side of Baylor's football team, kept him from carrying that time to a National Championship. With the steady improvement their defense has seen, this Redskin's team I think is probably the surest bet in the NFL if you take the over on their win/loss ratio...I think it's 6. This team is better than 6 wins, in my opinion.

That doesn't sound like they're describing a "laughing stock" to me :)...

And they reached those conclusions without needing to see wins first...

I think other fans and the media are taking Shanahan and Allen--and the moves they make--seriously, which means they're taking the Skins seriously.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 04:00 PM ----------

When done smartly being the key words. Larry Johnson - no. McNabb - no. Cousins - I hope I never find out but I wish we could have a re-do on that pick. LOL I am very pleased with the direction of the team..........I think. Its hard to really be pleased until I can watch them win like I used to 20 years ago.

HTTR

I think the Johnson "experiment" was done smartly...he was signed in such a way that letting him go had almost zero effect on our cap or the team. It was an extremely low risk-average reward scenario. McNabb would not have been a "smart" chance to take...the rest so far have seemed to be (jury is still out on Cousins, you're right lol)...

Its hard not to like Shanahan and Allen - look at their predecessors. I consider a laughing stock a team who does what we have done for the last twenty years. You said yourself you havent heard it since the rams trade. So, you are willing to brush off 20 years of crap for a draft class that hasnt even hit training camp yet? I understand being optimistic and all, but the simple truth, (and believe me it pains me), is that we are a team who won 15 games! ..........over three seasons!!! lol - and if that isnt a laughing stock of a team i dont know what is? Dont we have to win before we can shed that title, because if it was all about off season moves we would be a dynasty.

What's your definition of "laughing stock", then? lol...because my definition has zero to do with power rankings.

As for what other fans think, there was just recently a thread on the Cowboys' fans message board asking if the "stock" of each NFC East team was up, down or remained the same...since this is a Dallas fan board, if the Skins were indeed still being seen as a "laughing stock" then that thread on that site would be THE perfect place to hear fans cackling about how bad we are perceived to be.

Only one person on that thread described the Redskins as anything close to a laughing stock...here's what the rest said:

That doesn't sound like they're describing a "laughing stock" to me :)...

And they reached those conclusions without needing to see wins first...

I think other fans and the media are taking Shanahan and Allen--and the moves they make--seriously, which means they're taking the Skins seriously.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 04:00 PM ----------

I think the Johnson "experiment" was done smartly...he was signed in such a way that letting him go had almost zero effect on our cap or the team. It was an extremely low risk-average reward scenario. McNabb would not have been a "smart" chance to take...the rest so far have seemed to be (jury is still out on Cousins, you're right lol)...

I am all aboard the hope train man, and I will sit here and argue with anyone why we have as good a chance as anyone to win the super bowl.....THIS YEAR. and I mean that - im not a doom and gloom guy - I got my tix for the home opener and i am really excited. Alot of what I see above though seems to say that we will still be last in the division and I see alot of words like "hope" and "should" - after the last 20 years hope and should just dont cut it anymore - ive had my dreams torn apart too many times - granted RG-3 brings more hope and promise than any other move I remember for those twenty years, but as of today that is all it is - hope and dreams - so lets just hope that come gametime those dreams become reality!

HTTR

Draft seniors and captains, unless a younger player is just too good to pass up.

Which leads to the second point, which is drafting for scheme fit and value, and based on actual scout interpretations.

With FAs, it's targeting guys 28 and younger who we can get great value out of. Cofield, Carriker, Garcon, Morgan, etc.

They've also both shown themselves to be money savvy. They aren't throwing around huge contracts to players who don't deserve them, and aren't afraid to let people walk.

speed, youth, character, etc etc - only one pattern I care about - WINNING - and until that starts happening I could care less what the "plan" is. If we dont win again this year it will be because RG-3 is young. So basically we better have atleast 10 wins on the board for the following season or its blow up the current regime.............again. I know we were left in a huge hole, and we "seem" to be headed in a better direction, but as of May 30th 2012 we are still considered a laughing stock and I just can't see how I can give any credit to shanallen until that changes. :(

I re-read and re-read your post and I looked at the date, but it just does not add up. Most fans I know of other teams and there are many, consider the Redskins as risers. They point not only to Griffin, but to a Defense that is picking up steam. Your post seems a year late IMO. Most fans I know have the Redskins on the upswing. I hope Snyder and I believe he does, has more patience than you. I don't see a 10 win year, but it would not surprise me. I see 8 or 9 wins.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 06:50 PM ----------

YOur listening to the media though, try asking a knowledgeable fan of another team. The media has an agenda.

I think i am bein misunderstood - I have all the patience in the world, otherwise I would have stopped watching a long time ago........lol. I am simply saying that hope, and upswing, and direction, and plans dont equal wins. I live in NJ and am surrounded by giants and eagles fans. every year I say this is our year, and every year - well you know. So, im trying not to do that anymore. Im gonna let my team do my talking. 4 wins, 5 wins, and 6 wins ........... well they dont say much. im not giving up, and im not losing patience i am just trying to be a realist - and i dont think it is unreal to say the redskins are a laughing stock - maybe a laughing stock on the upswing. lol Until we win more that a few games I dont see how we are anything else. sorry

Its hard not to like Shanahan and Allen - look at their predecessors. I consider a laughing stock a team who does what we have done for the last twenty years. You said yourself you havent heard it since the rams trade. So, you are willing to brush off 20 years of crap for a draft class that hasnt even hit training camp yet? I understand being optimistic and all, but the simple truth, (and believe me it pains me), is that we are a team who won 15 games! ..........over three seasons!!! lol - and if that isnt a laughing stock of a team i dont know what is? Dont we have to win before we can shed that title, because if it was all about off season moves we would be a dynasty.

I consider a team a "laughing stock" if:

- Their personnel moves make you scratch your head more than nod your head...

- Their GM doesn't seem to know what he's doing...ever...

- They don't seem to have any plan whatsoever in place...

- They go 5+ seasons in a row with a losing record...

- There's nothing to indicate that the team is on its way upward...

- They get more attention for drama off the field than for performance on it...

None of those have applied since Shanahan and Allen took over...but because we did resemble too many of those things over the last decade or more, it was easy at first for rival fans and media members to keep claiming the Skins were still a "laughing stock"...

In Shanahan's 2nd season, you saw that viewpoint voiced less and less, and a larger focus was put on the things the coach and GM were doing right...and the talk then was how if they continued down that same path again it would pay dividends.

Now, in Shanny's 3rd year, almost everyone agrees that he is indeed continuing down that same path, and are actually applauding moves the Skins are making and talking about how we're finally doing things the "right way".

So, yes, a decade or more of "laughing stock" talk can indeed be dropped once a team shows it has a good plan and is being consistent in adhering to it. Especially if the men in charge of the plan are well-respected and have good track records. Actually a lot of things listed on this thread in terms of being patterns should help promote the optimism we already have, imo :yes:...

So don't worry lol...we aren't a laughing stock, not by a longshot. We WILL become one, though, if RG3 ends up busting huge and the Skins go 0-16. But that ain't gonna happen...

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 04:38 PM ----------

Smart, cap-friendly (but fair) contracts, smart drafting overall, drafting of team captains and a focus on quality depth.
Performance matters - not how long you have been here. Best man wins the job.

Both of these are HUGE in my eyes :yes:...

The types of FA contracts that Allen adheres to, the restocking of the roster with young, hungry draft picks and rebuilding quality depth are all essential if the Redskins are gonna ever become consistent winners again...

And the players running the asylum atmosphere has been vanquished from the Skins...

zelda.jpg

"This house is clean..."

I consider a team a "laughing stock" if:

- Their personnel moves make you scratch your head more than nod your head...

- Their GM doesn't seem to know what he's doing...ever...

- They don't seem to have any plan whatsoever in place...

- They go 5+ seasons in a row with a losing record...

- There's nothing to indicate that the team is on its way upward...

- They get more attention for drama off the field than for performance on it...

None of those have applied since Shanahan and Allen took over...but because we did resemble too many of those things over the last decade or more, it was easy at first for rival fans and media members to keep claiming the Skins were still a "laughing stock"...

In Shanahan's 2nd season, you saw that viewpoint voiced less and less, and a larger focus was put on the things the coach and GM were doing right...and the talk then was how if they continued down that same path again it would pay dividends.

Now, in Shanny's 3rd year, almost everyone agrees that he is indeed continuing down that same path, and are actually applauding moves the Skins are making and talking about how we're finally doing things the "right way".

So, yes, a decade or more of "laughing stock" talk can indeed be dropped once a team shows it has a good plan and is being consistent in adhering to it. Especially if the men in charge of the plan are well-respected and have good track records. Actually a lot of things listed on this thread in terms of being patterns should help promote the optimism we already have, imo :yes:...

So don't worry lol...we aren't a laughing stock, not by a longshot. We WILL become one, though, if RG3 ends up busting huge and the Skins go 0-16. But that ain't gonna happen...

they are moving tward that 5 year of a losing record rule you got.......lol - they have a couple of real headscratchers, and truthfully im not sure how i feel about the last couple drafts - i mean rg-3 was a no brainer, but cousins ???? i mean if the plan is to trade him away ala kevin kolb well that is a real twisted road to take to trade a qb for picks? - we had a high pick and should have used that on a cb or our o-line imo. however, yes - I am happy with the direction. there was alot of garbage that needed to be cleaned up when shanallen got here and it appears they have done that. I am not a big fan AT ALL of haslett - and keeping gano around to constantly blow games has made me scratch my a head - but yes I think if Rex could win 6 than RG-3 can win 10 at least. so let the games begin! - I do believe we are onto something good - I just hope that Kyle and Shanallen really know what they are doing, because now soon there will be no more excuses.

HTTR

They aren't throwing around huge contracts to players who don't deserve them, and aren't afraid to let people walk.

Another HUGE "pattern" :yes:...Snyder and Vinny would never let a coveted free agent walk...I think they loved the high of getting their man, and all the hubbub that surrounded it.

Allen? He'll say "Here's what we're offering, it's fair." If the FA balks, he smiles and says "Oh, well" lol...

Snyder and Vinny would never let a coveted free agent walk.....

The "less Snyder" pattern could be appreciated by looking at ESPN today and seeing Jerry Jones surrounded by a bunch of microphones talking like a GM. As long as Jerry continues the charade, that's just one less team the Redskins will have to worry about in the division during their (hopeful) ascendance.

The Cousins pick,I think,is to bring him along,hope RG111 does not get injured this year and let him compete with Rex.If next year GOD forbid something should happen to RG111 than Couisins would be ready to play.We all have seen what our QB situation was last year.

As far as Shanahan Allen....I love all the high character captain type guys they have picked up.

Younger, quicker, team-captain types, and willing to buy into the system.

One of the other patterns I've seen, is how the Shanallen Skins have focused themselves at stacking depth at certain positions, perhaps seeking to promote greater competition. Sometimes, it almost seems like they're 'over-stocking at certain positions, remember the WRs?

But oftentime it's just a mix of a lot of young players, coupled with veterans -- no doubt good for developing the youthful players. But the overload at a position has the extra effect of seeing who rises to the challege, who's willing to do what it takes to fit in. Creating an overload of players at a position, may be a big Shanallen tactic building a team culture of competitiveness, over the 'entitlement' mindset of the Zorn/Cerrato years.

They've done it with WRs, with RBs, with D-linemen, and this season it looks like Offensive linemen and to a limited extent QBs. Granted, there are obvious starters -- but the starters know that there's someone waiting in the wings for the chance. And veterans know they're going to have to hustle into top form, if they want to keep their starter or backup positions.

I also see a willingness to trade players -- which is great, because the Skins are starting to develop depth and a bank of talented players that are desired by other franchises. In the Cerrato era, I don't know of that many player trades -- it was usually free agents, and trading picks for players.

Having more tan two picks going into the draft.

Me having the belief that draft picks after the second round aren't just a waste of time.

I think that the draft of cousins says something, too. To me, it says that we've got a "best available" draft strategy, and that we don't do "we don't need that position".

I also saw an article pointing out how we seem to pick guys at the Senior Bowl. Apparently, our guys have things they look at that don't show p on stat sheets. Things that show up when you spend a week with a prospect, doing football things. I don't know what those things are. Call them intangibles? Attitude? Coachability? But there's something.

Another HUGE "pattern" :yes:...Snyder and Vinny would never let a coveted free agent walk...I think they loved the high of getting their man, and all the hubbub that surrounded it.

Allen? He'll say "Here's what we're offering, it's fair." If the FA balks, he smiles and says "Oh, well" lol...

So true. I really do not see Vinny or old Danny ever doing something like playing chicken with the top tackler in the NFL. While it can be distressing as a fan, to see some favorites go or get into a siege with the FO, they really do have the team's best interests at heart with the personnel.

The Cousins pick,I think,is to bring him along,hope RG111 does not get injured this year and let him compete with Rex.If next year GOD forbid something should happen to RG111 than Couisins would be ready to play.We all have seen what our QB situation was last year.

As far as Shanahan Allen....I love all the high character captain type guys they have picked up.

I'm still holding out hope that 2 years from now we're getting a 2nd for Cousins. If we manage to pull a Kolb, then our FO will look like geniuses.

So basically we better have atleast 10 wins on the board for the following season or its blow up the current regime.............again. I know we were left in a huge hole, and we "seem" to be headed in a better direction, but as of May 30th 2012 we are still considered a laughing stock and I just can't see how I can give any credit to shanallen until that changes. :(

I think i am bein misunderstood - I have all the patience in the world, otherwise I would have stopped watching a long time ago........lol. I am simply saying that hope, and upswing, and direction, and plans dont equal wins. I live in NJ and am surrounded by giants and eagles fans. every year I say this is our year, and every year - well you know. So, im trying not to do that anymore. Im gonna let my team do my talking. 4 wins, 5 wins, and 6 wins ........... well they dont say much. im not giving up, and im not losing patience i am just trying to be a realist - and i dont think it is unreal to say the redskins are a laughing stock - maybe a laughing stock on the upswing. lol Until we win more that a few games I dont see how we are anything else. sorry

No what you suggested that I find so appalling is that the Redskins ":Blow this up again if they don't have 10 wins". A realist knows the Redskins are on the brink, a realist has seen enough of false expecatational offseason championship hype to know the difference. A realist knows that solid moves equate wins in time. A realist knows if the Giants won a SuperBowl last year, any mediocre team on a roll at the right time can do it. A realist knows this won't happen overnight or then again it might. A realist is not going to fire Mike Shanahan if he does not pull a rabbit out of his hat this year and says "ta-da". I could go on, but your not listening to me, you listening to Eagle and Giant fans for Redskins Aura.

they are moving tward that 5 year of a losing record rule you got.......lol - they have a couple of real headscratchers, and truthfully im not sure how i feel about the last couple drafts - i mean rg-3 was a no brainer, but cousins ???? i mean if the plan is to trade him away ala kevin kolb well that is a real twisted road to take to trade a qb for picks? - we had a high pick and should have used that on a cb or our o-line imo. however, yes - I am happy with the direction. there was alot of garbage that needed to be cleaned up when shanallen got here and it appears they have done that. I am not a big fan AT ALL of haslett - and keeping gano around to constantly blow games has made me scratch my a head - but yes I think if Rex could win 6 than RG-3 can win 10 at least. so let the games begin! - I do believe we are onto something good - I just hope that Kyle and Shanallen really know what they are doing, because now soon there will be no more excuses.

HTTR

Im tired of the Cousins trash talk. The fact is we had to get another quarterback because we only had 1 capable QB on the roster going into the draft, Rex Grossman. There was no way Shanahan could bring back Beck and Crompton just doesn't have it. RGIII and Grossman are a decent 1-2 combo but every team needs to carry at least 3 QBs (see the 2011 Titans as an example). Drafting 2 QBs was our only option because no respectable FA would come here knowing he would be on the bench. FA QBs worth anything put themselves in a position to compete for a starting spot and that position was not available here. Drafting Cousins gives us a viable 3rd stringer if needed and was a value in the 4th round.

If we are able to get a 2nd rounder down the road for him then that's just fantastic. However, I really doubt that's the plan going in. I believe they drafted him because they want a 3rd, or even 2nd stringer to take Grossman's backup role when his contract is up, on their bench.

Here's another I think qualifies: Shanahan likes to take chances with players.

Giving Larry Johnson a shot on the roster, overlooking Brandon Banks' size, moving Young to FB, moving Paul to TE, drafting Cousins...I don't think Shanahan shies away from making those types of questionable decisions at all...which means he's not afraid of having decisions fail.

You forgot the biggest one: McNabb. That was a huge risk/reward move that went completely south, yet they were able to get out of it without TOO much damage. (Yeah, it sucks giving up a 2nd and 3rd, but it could have been worse.)

we are getting alot of solid attention and press because of RG-3, but check out power rankings or experts picks for the upcoming year. Check out the odds of us to win anything this year. Apparently RG-3 or not most of the country besides my always hopeful ass thinks so.

Power Rankings are the work of the Devil. They are generally "agenda" driven, and based on last year. They are even more pointless in the off season than the regular season.

Performance matters - not how long you have been here. Best man wins the job.

This is very true. They have competitions, nobody is gaurenteed a spot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other thing I've noticed: They have very specific systems that they want to run, and they select players that fit that system. This is true on offense and defense. It's a nice change. It's also nice to have some consistency. Because it's most likely that Shanahan and Allen will both here here the full 5 years, they had the luxury of installing a system, then starting to acquire the components they believe will fit the scheme. They might not be the perfect fit elsewhere, but here, in this scheme, they work.

Now all we have to do is hope that they don't have to switch schemes again. And undo all of these roster moves to get different players to fit a different scheme.

Shanallen has restored that "Pop-Warner" football-mentality to a professional organization. Guys are coming to compete because they are actually being forced to fight for their position on the field. I have never seen a turnaround in sports/business/anything to happen this quickly in my life, and it's impressive to watch.

PS. Anyone who bashes the Cousins pick probably doesn't pay as close attention to things as the rest of us.

The pattern i appreciate is that Shannahan and Allen work together according to a seemingly well thought out plan. Yes mistakes are made.....like mcnabb...but not every roll of the dice will land in your favor. We no longer make a rush to overpay fa's who are either over the hill, or merely want the $$$$. We value players with character vice players who are characters. We value the whole draft....brings back memories of Bobby Beathard.

I see Mike and Bruce reestablishing the history and pride that fans and former players should feel with their team.....and hopefully steering the team toward that return to glory that we all desire.

Finally, the more i see of Bruce and Mike in control, the less i see of Dan trying to play gm with his team.....i believe that pattern may be the most significant for the long term prognosis for success of the Redskins.

one pattern i noticed early on and even moreso now is the process by which shanahan and allen improve positional strength on the team. it seems to be: identify weakness, create competition, see what sticks, identify further needs, meet those needs through draft and/or free agency.

take the wr position for instance. short on picks, shanahan brought in as many vets, free agents, and traded players as possible, increasing competition at a known area of weakness. they did their best to see what players stuck, realized exactly how much the team needed to spend on the position (free agency or draft) and made the moves as soon as possible.

the same has been done at the running back position and is currently in progress in the secondary.

and not to say that other regimes havent used the same method, but shanahan and allen seem to be better and more focused at identifying and fixing the team weaknesses.

Do you see anything that seems to have become a staple of the Skins under Shanahan and with Allen in the FO? Can relate to any aspect of running the team.

For example, Shanahan and Allen seem to be focusing on free agents that are just about to enter their prime and are on the cusp of becoming bonafide quality starters...even if they weren't full-time starters on their old teams. They want them to hit their strides while with the Redskins.

So what patterns have you started to notice with this regime in control?

Your example there is like the best one, damnit! :ols:

I would say the emphasis on youth, the excellent balancing of risk/reward, and the willingness to part ways with players as soon as they know they're not in the long term plans of the team.

I don't need to elaborate on the first one since that's pretty clear in and of itself.

What I mean with the second is how they assign importance to certain positions over others (correctly) and then spend accordingly. For instance, at QB we parted with some decent draft picks to obtain McNabb and, though that failed, I still defend that move until I've got a bloody nose just for the principle of trying to nab (pun intended) a franchise QB when the opportunity arises. When there weren't options the next year after it was clear McNabb wasn't going to work out (which is an example of my third "pattern", by the way) they didn't reach and take any QB they could find. They gave up the farm for RG3 which, when keeping in mind the previous year's willingness to hold tight and not reach, tells me they aren't just making wild guesses there. The point is, they're willing to go all out for a franchise QB whenever they think they've got one. Another example of this pattern is how we've gone about obtaining RBs. Late rounders for the most part, yet, they produce. Since Shanny knows exactly what kind of skillset he wants in a RB (a very specific one at that), we know to take less risk (read: spend less) on RBs.

Perhaps the best example of this pattern, however, is the artful risk/reward balancing act of acquiring Interior Olinemen that fit the ZBS as opposed to Tackles. We've taken much more risk and have spent considerably more on our Tackle position (Williams with the 3rd pick overall, Jammal Brown in a trade for some decent picks) than on our interior. The Tackle position is more important and, therefore, we're going to spend more on it. If Jammal doesn't work out, for instance, I'm sure we'll spend high whether through FA or the draft next offseason to get one. It's likely we'll keep obtaining low-profile FAs and spending lower round draft picks for interior guys though since, like RBs, we know what we want there and it's not exactly of the utmost importance we get superstars there.

Finally, the third pattern I mentioned above needs only two names to be mentioned as clear examples: McNabb and Haynesworth. You can throw in guys like Torain, Gaffney and just about the entire Gibbs/Zorn rosters as well. Andre Carter is an excellent example of this as well. Great guy, good player who actually adjusted decently to OLB but, because he wan't going to be that dominant presence you want at both OLB positions in the 3-4, was released. One thing is clear... any player who doesn't fit in long term for whatever reason well be traded/released. They will get a chance for what seems like a standard "season" time limit but if they don't cut it they're not kept on simply because.

To me, all the patterns are positive ones. I didn't even mention smaller ones like how we trade down in the draft to acquire more picks or how we like to draft seniors and team captains. Or how about how we usually front-load contracts (which makes it easier to move on from players later on) instead of the old back-loading and re-structuring dance we used to do which lead to us keeping guys for the sake of the cap? Yes, mistakes will be made and maybe players could've been cut sooner; should never have been cut; shouldn't have been traded for; shouldn't have been traded away, etc... but it seems like, overall, the philosophies are sound and that always means that, eventually, things will turn around.

High Character guys (unlike Brandon Lloyd and Haynesworth)

System specific guys (unlike getting Jason Taylor)

No stupid one-sided trades (TJ Duckett, Jason Taylor, etc., the offer of Ochocinco was already mentioned, but let's not forget Lance Briggs for a first-day pick)

And the gamble on making someone's backup a starter (Stephen Bowen).

Draft-wise, some points have already been stated, but I love how in 3 years we have used a high-round pick on offensive linemen (1st on Trent, 3rd on LeReibus).

The concept of the 'Mike Shannahan offense', as it's called, has never been 100% clear to me. I understand the running back situation with him, and I'm already convinced that's for real. It's good. I think that goes with the offensive line as well. His concept of using athleticism over power creates more opportunities for plays; or as Shanny often puts it: "the best chance to win." So you see those types of players drafted/acquired, and with success that might even create the new trend among the league.

So the next trend with Shanny ought to be a killer ground game with an impressive line that, ideally, would become a great crew, similar to the Hogs, but more athletic and less power. Though, these days, typical lineman can average near 300lbs and are considered further developed and athletic at that weight (the Hogs averaged around 270). Trent really needs to spearhead that whole thing and get it going. Chris Samuels style. Need a strong, vocal leader on the offensive line.

Because, by the way, while teams are worrying about complex zone blocking schemes, this kid named Rob can dash to the sideline in 2 seconds, and if you thought we were running, you're horribly out of position and this guy Rob will have his choice of throwing or running right past you, also in 2 seconds.

As for Mr Bruce Allen, I think the best decisions are being made because they're being made in nice cohesion with the team President Mr Mike Shannahan. Everyone's on the same page. Even Mr Snyder's on board. We need to remember how far we are from Jim Zorn being told to apologize to Clinton Portis for some dumb thing. Matter of fact, a team run such a way is pretty uncommon. In a good way.

I'll go as far as to say the Redskins story in the future will be a legendary, detailed one of a regime turnaround and Dan Snyder will be spoken of in this unique story as the young billionaire owner who finally made the right decision after a decade of playing around with his favorite team, and did a wonderful, professional job as an owner thereafter. I'll also go as far to say it's not RG3 alone that writes this prediction for me. I've always been confident that, given enough time, Mike Shannahan and Bruce Allen were going to make the team a solid, consistent contender, Let's face it, RG3 is a gigantic, huge, massive head start. An "easy button". Possibilities are endless. The patterns have been lot's of draft picks, youth, and youth starting. We now have the best youth prospect there is, so I figure that makes a Coach and GM job a little easier, despite lost 1sts the next couple years.

Archived