Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your opinion, what mkaes a rapper a good rapper?

CrypticVillain

I hope that title makes sense, just doesn't sound right for some reason... :whoknows:

Anyways, with the Nas versus Jay Thread and now the Hip-Hop groups thread, people kept on saying who they liked better, but nobody really elaborated why. So I thought I should

in my opinion, it is about four things that I need a rapper to have to consider him a good rapper.

1. Flow: If your flow isn't on point, I can't listen to you at all. Like that Plies dude, the bamma just screams during all of his raps. What kind of flow is that? :doh:

2. Lyrics: Now if your flow is on point, but your lyrics are so-so, I might could still listen. But if your lyrics are so bad coughmemphisbleekcough I will never listen to you.

3. Content/Substance: Your lyrics could be on point, but if you keep rapping about the same things over, and over, and over, and over again, why would anybody take you serious?

4. Beats: You could be one heck of a rapper, but if you are spitting over trashy beats that I can't even nod my head to, you gets no play on my radio.

I know there are a lot of Hip-Hop heads on ES, so I think it would be nice to see where everybody is coming from on their likes and dislikes as far as rapping goes....

I'm not a huge hip hop guy, but I've always loved BIG's style. Just about all the beats on Ready to Die were done with drums, bass, guitar, and keys...sounded real natural and had a good vibe. Dude had an awesome lyrical knack and is just enjoyable (for me) to listen to.

1. Lyricism - I'm about content. I'm not a hip-hop elitist, because I do enjoy some Waka Flocka when working out. He serves a purpose in that regard...but if you want to stand the test of time, you better come through with lyrics of substance. There's a reason why there are so many one-hit wonders, and guys like Nas, Jay-Z, Common, etc have all been around for 15+ years.

2. ARTICULATION - I can't stress this enough. 95% of rap sounds AWFUL live. Part of the reason is that a lot of these cats can't articulate within their flow. If you can come off clear and concise, you've ahead of the game.

3. Beats - A good/GREAT beat can sometimes overshadow shoddy content. This is a R&B example, but when listening to Justin Timberlake's FS/LS, it took me about 10 listens to the album before I could really pay attention to what he was saying. The beats were THAT good...almost trance-like. Going into hip-hop (and back on to Waka), this is why I can get down with his music when working out. I couldn't tell you anything he says, but I know the beats instantly when songs like Hard in the Paint or Grove St. Party come on.

If you want to kill the competition, be a good rapper with amazing beats. As polarizing as he is, this is why people like Kanye.

*just my .02

Honestly, this dude is probably one of the most overrated rappers around here. I guess it's because he has the heavy laid back chill beats, but that dude isn't that good of a raper imo.

No not at all. His recent songs are garbage: TuPac Back, Mc Hammer, Nike Box, etc. He's so bad.

What RonARrtest said pretty much.. Guarantee you that Waka is going to be out of the game in les than 5 years, same with 2 chainz and all these other wannabe gangsta rap cats. You can only say the same exact **** on a different beat for so long. His 15 mins has been passed.

What RonARrtest said pretty much.. Guarantee you that Waka is going to be out of the game in les than 5 years, same with 2 chainz and all these other wannabe gangsta rap cats. You can only say the same exact **** on a different beat for so long. His 15 mins has been passed.

With those cats, you already know it's all in the beats.

Good thread – because this is something that infuriates me. Half of these rappers out there are only popular because of their BEATS. That’s it. Some might disagree, but I think there are a lot of offenders out there that have it made because of their beats, or features.

Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Birdman, Waka Flaka Flame, Juvenile etc. I could keep going.

Flow, Lyrics, Content, Beats – that is a great way to summarize rap for me. And Flow is the most important. I think “rhyming ability” should be in there as well, if this would fall outside of lyrics, so you eliminate the Same Word rhymers, the simplistic rhymers, or the people who push “near-rhyme” too far.

My favorite rappers are Bone Thugs – with Krayzie Bone being the hands down best. If Bizzy wasn’t a mental nut job/alcoholic, he could be with Krayzie.

Others I listen to are Fabolous (mutli-syllable rhyme is nuts sometimes), Bubba Sparxxx (have to represent the good white rappers!), Em, Nappy Roots, Some Wayne, some old school stuff like Tupac, Biggie, Lost Boyz, etc.

It’s like Rappers are too ****y to even realize their lyrics/flow suck. Right now on my IPOD is DC Talk – “Free at Last”. While it’s a white guy rapping, his flow is smooth, lyrics make sense, stay on the point of the song. I know it’s a Christian band/group so people won’t listen probably – it just goes to show how talent has fell to the wayside, to a “Catchy Chorus” and “hot beat”…leaving Lyrics and Flow aside.

RAP IS SIMPLE folks, you need to be talented in the simple parts for me to even bother listening.

Good thread – because this is something that infuriates me. Half of these rappers out there are only popular because of their BEATS. That’s it. Some might disagree, but I think there are a lot of offenders out there that have it made because of their beats, or features.

Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, Birdman, Waka Flaka Flame, Juvenile etc. I could keep going.

Flow, Lyrics, Content, Beats – that is a great way to summarize rap for me. And Flow is the most important. I think “rhyming ability” should be in there as well, if this would fall outside of lyrics, so you eliminate the Same Word rhymers, the simplistic rhymers, or the people who push “near-rhyme” too far.

My favorite rappers are Bone Thugs – with Krayzie Bone being the hands down best. If Bizzy wasn’t a mental nut job/alcoholic, he could be with Krayzie.

Others I listen to are Fabolous (mutli-syllable rhyme is nuts sometimes), Bubba Sparxxx (have to represent the good white rappers!), Em, Nappy Roots, Some Wayne, some old school stuff like Tupac, Biggie, Lost Boyz, etc.

It’s like Rappers are too ****y to even realize their lyrics/flow suck. Right now on my IPOD is DC Talk – “Free at Last”. While it’s a white guy rapping, his flow is smooth, lyrics make sense, stay on the point of the song. I know it’s a Christian band/group so people won’t listen probably – it just goes to show how talent has fell to the wayside, to a “Catchy Chorus” and “hot beat”…leaving Lyrics and Flow aside.

RAP IS SIMPLE folks, you need to be talented in the simple parts for me to even bother listening.

:ols: DCTalk. Toby Mack is my man though. Have you heard Church Clothes by Lecrae. He is easily one of the hottest rapper out there right now...

That green part that I highlighted makes me think about Lil Wayne. The bamma went from being one heck of a rapper to a complete joke imo. Dude is so lame right now it doesn't make any sense. I don't listen to Young Money a lot, but I think he is not even in the top three in his own group.

Archived