Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your opinion, what mkaes a rapper a good rapper?

CrypticVillain

You can have all the skills, lyrics, beats etc.. but no voice. Voice is important as well

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

I have a simple rule.

If Dr. Dre is involved, it's going to be worth listening to.

I would add Timbaland as well

Yes, you are late....

Only reason I know about him is because he plays "Troy" on Community. He is a pretty talented dude though. He wrote/writes for 30 Rock and SNL.

Yeah I don't know why I'm just know listening to him. I like his stuff alot.

No...but a rapper should be more creative than that....But like Pitbull rapping "Kodak" with "Kodak"

Me not working hard? / Yeah, right, picture that with a Kodak / Or better yet, go to Times Square / Take a picture of me with a Kodak

I can't listen to that song.

No...but a rapper should be more creative than that....But like Pitbull rapping "Kodak" with "Kodak"

Me not working hard? / Yeah, right, picture that with a Kodak / Or better yet, go to Times Square / Take a picture of me with a Kodak

I can't listen to that song.

haha... i don't listen to Pitbull. But that is truly awful.

He should have said:

Me not working hard?/ Yeah, right, picture that with a Kodak/ Or better yet, go to Yellowstone Park/ And walk into a Kodak.

haha... i don't listen to Pitbull. But that is truly awful.

He should have said:

Me not working hard?/ Yeah, right, picture that with a Kodak/ Or better yet, go to Yellowstone Park/ And walk into a Kodak.

no, that's still horrible. He could have rhymed Kodak with flack, lack, sack, mack, tack....not the same word and not a homophone

:ols:

You don't think I'm a good rapper? I'm rappers' delight!

not if you rap the same word with the same word....too bad the rap battles threads are gone, I was killin' it....too bad it got me my first and only ban

And Rick Ross!

But to me a good rapper is someone who has great lyrics. Lyrics that have meaning to them. Not constantly rapping about girls, money, and cars.

And if you're going to rap about money, clothes, cars and being a hood, you better be damn unique (B.I.G.)

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

"Don't get suspicious, now don't be suspicious"

Steve Miller Band - Rock'n Me - 1976. :)

That's half the line.

Pitbull is terrible but I'll be damned if he doesn't make/feature on some catchy club songs. Which is all it should be, club music. It's cool to dance to his stuff but if you listen to Pitbull for the lyrics, than something is wrong with you. lol

Pitbull is terrible but I'll be damned if he doesn't make/feature on some catchy club songs. Which is all it should be, club music. It's cool to dance to his stuff but if you listen to Pitbull for the lyrics, than something is wrong with you. lol

I don't see though why they have to be exclusive. You can make great music that can also be danced/jammed to (ie. most of Some Girls)

Lyrical Quality

Flow/Rythymn

Material (And if all you do is rap about immaterial ****, then at least do it in a way that gets my attention)

To me, beats really shouldn't matter, for the simple fact that if you have everything above, I could just provide a beat for you by banging on a wall or something (like Grindin'), and you would kill it. They do matter though, as they can make an average cat something special, and make special extraordinary/legendary.

Jay Electronica looped Eternal Sunshine and killed it.

And if you're going to rap about money, clothes, cars and being a hood, you better be damn unique (B.I.G.)

I think the irony behind Rick Ross is that he used to be a parole officer.

I was thinking yesterday, for someone that has been around forever, why does no one every mention Diddy among the all-time greats? Now, I'm not saying he's great, but its weird that no one ever talks about him.

I think the irony behind Rick Ross is that he used to be a parole officer.

I was thinking yesterday, for someone that has been around forever, why does no one every mention Diddy among the all-time greats? Now, I'm not saying he's great, but its weird that no one ever talks about him.

Because he's not, and never was (as a rapper). Not even close. Not even semi-close.

For me, its lyrics & flow, with a hot beat being close second. Perfect example is Ready to Die and Life After Death. Biggie's ability to tell a story made it feel like you were there with him during whatever he was rapping about. Definitely a lost skill for the mainstream today.

Archived