Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you believe in existence of souls, and why?

alexey

Do you believe that humans have souls, and if you do, why do you believe that?

I am asking this because I have recently heard what I thought to be a very strong argument against that notion. It comes from neurobiology. It is well known that losing specific parts of the brain will result in a loss of specific abilities. Various changes to the brain, such as tumors, are known to change personality traits. The thing you perceive as "you" is known to be basically an illusion. I am therefore struggling to see any room left for the soul.

Can you first define what a "soul" is before I answer? lol...

You that is not your body.

You that can persist after your brain dies.

(things like being in the memory of others or being a part of a universe simulated by aliens don't count)

You that is not your body.

You that can persist after your brain dies.

(things like being in the memory of others or being a part of a universe simulated by aliens don't count)

Ok, so...how does that match up with what you said in the OP:

It is well known that losing specific parts of the brain will result in a loss of specific abilities. Various changes to the brain, such as tumors, are known to change personality traits. The thing you perceive as "you" is known to be basically an illusion. I am therefore struggling to see any room left for the soul.

If souls do exist, then what you said about losing "specific abilities" or personality changes brought on by brain tumors are irrelevant.

If we go by what you said just now, then we would need to ask if it's possible for us to exist beyond our physical bodies...and if so, what form would we take.

Ok, so...how does that match up with what you said in the OP:

If souls do exist, then what you said about losing "specific abilities" or personality changes brought on by brain tumors are irrelevant.

If we go by what you said just now, then we would need to ask if it's possible for us to exist beyond our physical bodies...and if so, what form would we take.

I am not sure what you are asking. The difficulty I am having is seeing grounds for postulating a soul in light of evidence that we now have about the brain.

I think you are confusing the mind with the "soul". My interpretation of the soul has been that 'essence' of personhood. Damage to the brain may change how you perceive the world, but the 'soul' is still this entity which is independent of your physiology.

If you believe in the Bible, how can you not?

Hail.

You get to pick which parts to take literally.

---------- Post added May-13th-2012 at 07:21 PM ----------

I think you are confusing the mind with the "soul". My interpretation of the soul has been that 'essence' of personhood. Damage to the brain may change how you perceive the world, but the 'soul' is still this entity which is independent of your physiology.

I am asking people whether they believe in existence of such "essense" and why.

I am not sure what you are asking. The difficulty I am having is seeing grounds for postulating a soul in light of evidence that we now have about the brain.

In the OP, you make the assumption that our personalities and abilities define "who we are" at our soul...then go on to say that since our personalities and abilities can be altered and manipulated through external forces on the brain, it should throw into doubt "who we are".

In your follow-up post, though, you say that our "soul" is who we are separate from our bodies. That would mean who we are separate from things like the effects of brain tumors--because, of course, things like tumors would be part of the body.

If we go with your second post, then the soul isn't defined by personality traits, but by its existence separate from the body. So the question should be, is it possible for us to exist once the body dies...and if so, what form would we take.

In the OP, you make the assumption that our personalities and abilities define "who we are" at our soul...then go on to say that since our personalities and abilities can be altered and manipulated through external forces on the brain, it should throw into doubt "who we are".

In your follow-up post, though, you say that our "soul" is who we are separate from our bodies. That would mean who we are separate from things like the effects of brain tumors--because, of course, things like tumors would be part of the body.

If we go with your second post, then the soul isn't defined by personality traits, but by its existence separate from the body. So the question should be, is it possible for us to exist once the body dies...and if so, what form would we take.

I am merely asking why you would think that there is more to you than your body.

Then the brain example doesn't work. Even taking away tumors, the nervous system degenerates over time anyways. But I haven't seen the 'soul' as ever being defined by the mental state of its occupant. It's a purely religious concept. It isn't possible for science to determine the validity of it.

'K, as reticent as I am to broach religion, I'll play.

Genesis 2:7

And the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

I interpret that to mean we do not have a soul, we ARE a soul.

The Trinity- Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Mind, Body, Soul. To me, our soul is spiritual, just like the Holy Spirit, who's image we're made in.

I'm not big on quoting scripture, and if truth be told I had to ask someone far more theological than myself for the above quote, although I knew more or less the premise of what I was looking for. And if you want to get literal as you asked, I have more.

As Conn so succinctly said, this ultimately comes down to if you believe in God or not.

As I said in the post you responded to above, as to your OP; for me, if you believe in the Bible, how can you not believe in the existence of a human soul?

Hail.

yes yes shellfish and all that. I wish we'd get past this disengenious bull****. Cut to the chase wnd detail your preferred philosophy and let it stand against challengers.
Yes. They exist and humanity is born with an innate knowledge of it (among other things). Some people (with varying motives) attempt to obscure and separate people from this knowledge we intuitively feel. Cab brain injuries change people? Certainly. The soul isn't a personality or a favorite food, it's deeper than that. It's the light that shines or shadow that consumes that exists beneath all that. It grows or diminishes with choices we make in spite of circumstance or the condition of its mortal shell.

No, I don't. I think this question will STRONGLY correlate with whether you believe in a god(s) or not.

Would believing there is a essence of yourself that survives your body mean you believe in a god by default?

seems a sad existence to believe we are nothing more than flesh and blood

Only a sad existence if religious spirituality is of utmost importance to you. Otherwise, it doesn't make an iota of difference to those of us who are apathetic towards this issue.

Being agnostic towards afterlife has made me value this current life much more.

seems a sad existence to believe we are nothing more than flesh and blood

It certainly isn't that way (a sad existence) for a great many who have such thoughts. And it "seems" obvious to me that this is this quite well-known to be the case for such folk, just (relatedly) as it is well-known for many who believe there is more than "flesh and blood" (as you put it) to feel absolutely miserable about existence. :)

Funny you would "seem" to be unaware of that as implied in your statements, and I don't believe you really are unaware of it of course. Per your first question, btw, of course one can have beliefs that can include possibility of some sort of "essence" (your term) without believing in the "existence of god" as characterized by Christianity or other religions.

Other than that, I knew I would not be participating in this one. Carry on and best wishes. :)

Archived