Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avengers vs. Justice League. Who would win?

skinsfan07

John Carter was the first Super Hero.. 1890's.

Hercules or rather Heracles... Beowulf, etc. etc.

Superman also wasn't nearly as powerful when he ws first published. He couldn't fly just leap huge distances like the Hulk. He had no heat vision. I believe he did have x-ray vision, but no super breath. He was invulnerable and really strong.

Okay, I've asked this question numerous times, and (to my knowledge) have yet to be answered.

For the most part, the comic books that I read were of the X-Men/Spider-Man variety. My knowledege of all the DC Comics characters have come either from television, or movies, save for a few comic book reads too far back for me to remember.

During one of the final episodes (Secret Wars Saga) of Spider-Man: The Animated Series, Madame Web and The Beyonder send Spider-Man, who in this case is the leader of the Avengers to another dimension to battle Super Smythe, Red Skull, Doom, Octopus, and a couple other people I am forgetting.

The Avengers list consisted of (to the best of my knowledge):

Spider-Man

Captain America

Iron Man

The Lizard

Black Cat

Storm

Fantastic Four

How accurate is that? Was it in the comics, or just a little add on for the sake of tv?

Okay, I have sat on my hands for too long and obviously nobody is going to bring it up....

Is there anyway the X-Men could be factored into this battle??? :whoknows:

Possible. You throw in Wolverine, Prof. X and Jean Grey as Pheonix as things get really lopsided.

During one of the final episodes (Secret Wars Saga) of Spider-Man: The Animated Series, Madame Web and The Beyonder send Spider-Man, who in this case is the leader of the Avengers to another dimension to battle Super Smythe, Red Skull, Doom, Octopus, and a couple other people I am forgetting.

The Avengers list consisted of (to the best of my knowledge):

Spider-Man

Captain America

Iron Man

The Lizard

Black Cat

Storm

Fantastic Four

Oh snap! I remember that episode!! Good times.

Has anybody mentioned Marvel's Silver Surfer? Between him, Phoenix, and Sentry, I would say those are 3 of the most powerful superhero beings out there. fyi Surfer and Sentry can both manipulate matter and create kryptonite. Phoenix would just use mind control to make Superman her B.

The Silver Surfer wields "the power cosmic", absorbing and manipulating the universe's ambient cosmic energies. He can augment his strength to incalculable levels, and is almost totally indestructible. He can navigate space, hyperspace and dimensional barriers, and can fly at near-limitless speeds on his board, entering hyperspace when he exceeds light speed. He has even proven capable of time travel on occasion. The Surfer does not require food, drink, air or sleep, sustained entirely by converting matter into energy. He is immune to temperature extremes and most radiation, and can survive in vacuum environments such as outer space and hyperspace. He can analyze and manipulate matter and energy, and restructure or animate matter at will, even transmuting elements. He can heal living beings (though he cannot raise the dead), and has proven capable of revitalizing or evolving organic life on a planet wide scale. He can alter the size of himself or of other matter, cast illusions, fire energy blasts, form and manipulate energy constructs, manipulate gravity, absorb and discharge most forms of energy, and phase through solid matter. His senses enable him to detect objects and energies light years away, and to perceive matter and energy in subatomic detail; he can even see through time, and with concentration can achieve limited perception of past and future events in his general vicinity. The Surfer has demonstrated limited telepathic ability on occasion, and has proven able to influence human emotion and sensation.

This Martian appears to be a pretty formidable comic book hero.

Superhuman strength, flight, invulnerability, vortex breath, and "Martian Vision" (a term designating both the ability to see through solid objects and the ability to project beams of energy from his eyes). Telekinesis to levitate and animate objects or force objects to move in a direction desired or deliver a concussive impact. . Also heating objects apparently. shapeshifting, which he employs for various effects (adopting human or monstrous appearance, elongating his limbs, growing to immense size, altering the chemical composition of his body, etc.). The ability to become intangible, passing harmlessly through solid objects. He can also render himself invisible. Telepathy, capable of both perceiving the thoughts of others and of projecting his own thoughts. He often acts as a "switchboard" between minds in order to coordinate the Justice League's actions. The extent of his telepathic abilities is great; several times he has connected his mind to the entire population of Earth[volume & issue needed]. He is capable of absorbing energy projectiles such as beams and other energy waves, regenerative abilities or completely regenerate his entire body form a single body part. He apparently has 9 senses but don't ask me what they are. He can use heat and/or energy or absorb mass from objects (plants etc) to manipulate his size.

Apparently, his weakness is fire. It will not kill him but apparently, it prevents him from focusing his mind.

Hercules or rather Heracles... Beowulf, etc. etc.

Herc was a god, Beowulf was a hero but not a super one. Still I'm not speaking of myths or ancient stories. I'm talking about the modern idea of a super hero.... John Carter was first. The entire shtick on how superman got his powers... A child of another planet who's gravitation was greater giveing him super powers on this new world, came from John Carter. Superman was a knock off of Edgar Rice Burrough's, ( also wrote Tarzan) John Carter.

Superman also wasn't nearly as powerful when he ws first published. He couldn't fly just leap huge distances like the Hulk. He had no heat vision. I believe he did have x-ray vision, but no super breath. He was invulnerable and really strong.

Exactly.. he originated as very John Cater ish.... Only John Cater was based on the Southern Civil War hear John Mosby... Calvery Officer under Jeb Stuart, natural fighter, Chief of scouts, etc... And thus wasn't a good hero for everybody in the country... Mosby after all was hated in the north, and became to be hated in the south after he endorsed Grant for President and joined the GOP.

Herc was a god, Beowulf was a hero but not a super one. Still I'm not speaking of myths or ancient stories. I'm talking about the modern idea of a super hero.... John Carter was first. The entire shtick on how superman got his powers... A child of another planet who's gravitation was greater giveing him super powers on this new world, came from John Carter. Superman was a knock off of Edgar Rice Burrough's, ( also wrote Tarzan) John Carter.

Exactly.. he originated as very John Cater ish.... Only John Cater was based on the Southern Civil War hear John Mosby... Calvery Officer under Jeb Stuart, natural fighter, Chief of scouts, etc... And thus wasn't a good hero for everybody in the country... Mosby after all was hated in the north, and became to be hated in the south after he endorsed Grant for President and joined the GOP.

I don't think that John Carter was the first Superhero. Not even close I suspect. You had characters such as Paul Bunyan, Pacos Bill, John Henry that were really folk tail heros and before that, Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, Davie Crockett, hero's who were real people but became Super Hero's in legend and through dime store books. Before that you had super heros like King Arthur and his knights who also reached superhero status. I don't really know where you draw the line as modern day, per say.

I don't think that John Carter was the first Superhero. Not even close I suspect. You had characters such as Paul Bunyan, Pacos Bill, John Henry that were really folk tail heros and before that, Daniel Boone, Jim Bowie, Davie Crockett, hero's who were real people but became Super Hero's in legend and through dime store books. Before that you had super heros like King Arthur and his knights who also reached superhero status. I don't really know where you draw the line as modern day, per say.

For clarity's sake, let's just call Superman the first "comic book superhero" and move on.

I draw the line where you have an invulnerable guy who can leap for miles fighting against evil doers in a classic battle of good and evil. Modern persona of super hero...

Bunyan is a folk hero, I guess you could say he had super powers but he didn't really fight injustice or evil doers. Same with John Henry. Kit Carson, Boone, and Davey Crocket were all real life hero's, but nothing super powered about any of them...

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 12:44 PM ----------

For clarity's sake, let's just call Superman the first "comic book superhero" and move on.

Or we can say, for reality sake that John Cater was the first superhero and move on...

399px-Princess_of_Mars_large.jpg

John Carter and Dejah Thoris from the cover of the first edition of A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, McClurg, 1917

This is kinda a states rights issue... First they took away Virinia as the place where the civil war started. ( first casualty due to enemy action ).... Now you guys are disrespecting the first Super hero, also from Virginia... ( fought in the army of northern virginia in the "war of northern agression").

OK but that would not be accurate. Mandrake, Flash Gordon and The Phantom all superseded Superman.

Actually none did. Superman first appeared in Detective Comics in 1932 He predates all of those guys.... Buck Rogers predates superman, but buck Rogers has no super powers. Carter Preceeds them all.

Mandrake the Magician is a syndicated newspaper comic strip, created by Lee Falk (before he created The Phantom). Its publication began June 11, 1934

Flash Gordon is the hero of a science fiction adventure comic strip originally drawn by Alex Raymond. First published January 7, 1934, the strip was inspired by and created to compete with the already established Buck Rogers adventure strip.

Buck Rogers is a fictional character that first appeared in Armageddon 2419 A.D. by Philip Francis Nowlan in the August 1928 issue of the pulp magazine Amazing Stories as Anthony Rogers

Superman is a fictional comic book superhero appearing in publications by DC Comics, widely considered to be an American cultural icon.[1][2][3][4] Created by American writer Jerry Siegel and Canadian-born American artist Joe Shuster in 1932 first apperared in Detective Stories, got his own comic in 1938

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman

John Carter is a fictional character, created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, who appears in Burroughs' Barsoom novels. Although he is actually a Virginian from Earth and only a visitor to Mars, he is sometimes known as John Carter of Mars, in reference to the setting in which his major deeds are recorded. His character is enduring, having appeared in various media since his 1912 debut in a magazine serial.

I draw the line where you have an invulnerable guy who can leap for miles fighting against evil doers in a classic battle of good and evil. Modern persona of super hero...

Bunyan is a folk hero, I guess you could say he had super powers but he didn't really fight injustice or evil doers. Same with John Henry. Kit Carson, Boone, and Davey Crocket were all real life hero's, but nothing super powered about any of them...

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 12:44 PM ----------

Or we can say, for reality sake that John Cater was the first superhero and move on...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Princess_of_Mars_large.jpg/399px-Princess_of_Mars_large.jpg

John Carter and Dejah Thoris from the cover of the first edition of A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, McClurg, 1917

This is kinda a states rights issue... First they took away Virinia as the place where the civil war started. ( first casualty due to enemy action ).... Now you guys are disrespecting the first Super hero, also from Virginia... ( fought in the army of northern virginia in the "war of northern agression").

If that is the criteria, we can go back to ancient Hyndu depictions and see the same thing we see in modern superheros including good verses evil, superhuman powers and even space ships doing battle against one another. Super Hero's have been around much longer then John Carter.

OK but that would not be accurate. Mandrake, Flash Gordon and The Phantom all superseded Superman.

Sure, and so did Tarzan. But none of them were "super powered" in the sense of DC and Marvel comic books. Which is what this thread is about.

Comic books blossomed into a distinct entertainment industry after 1938 when Jerome Siegal and Joseph Shuster created Superman, the initiator of the superhero genre that would remain the cornerstone of the comic book industry.

http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/033comic.html

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 10:12 AM ----------

Actually none did. Superman first appeared in Detective Comics in 1932 He predates all of those guys....

Acctually, Superman first appeared in 1938. It took six years to find someone who would publish the idea.

If that is the criteria, we can go back to ancient Hyndu depictions and see the same thing we see in modern superheros including good verses evil, superhuman powers and even space ships doing battle against one another. Super Hero's have been around much longer then John Carter.

OK, American Super Hero's... although I highly doubt India has an invulnerable flying super strong super hero who fights injustice in his underpants.. I think that is a uniquely American genre of fiction... However, I'll take your word on that.

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 01:25 PM ----------

Acctually, Superman first appeared in 1938. It took six years to find someone who would publish the idea.

I must have misread wikipeda.. sorry.

Sure, and so did Tarzan. But none of them were "super powered" in the sense of DC and Marvel comic books. Which is what this thread is about.

Actually, and I did not know this either, Madrake the Magician or The Phantom Magician is credited as the First Comic Book Superhero according to Comic Book Historian Don Markstein. I do not know a great deal about comic books. The question of who was first kinda got me started and this is what I found, granted Wiki but it's seems credible enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_the_Magician

Has anybody mentioned Marvel's Silver Surfer? Between him, Phoenix, and Sentry, I would say those are 3 of the most powerful superhero beings out there. fyi Surfer and Sentry can both manipulate matter and create kryptonite. Phoenix would just use mind control to make Superman her B.

Back on topic guys. This is true. Silver Surfer is vastly underrated. And I mentioned Sentry and his power in this thread earlier, but his main weakness is that his mind is all jacked up. lol However if he can control himself, yes he could take out Supes.

Herc was a god,

Technically, half-god/half-mortal. Perhaps, Achilles would have been a better choice as he was a mortal dipped in invulnerability goo up to his ackles and thus became one of the first bulletproof warriors so to speak. Heracles was certainly a superhero of the day defying gods and meeting and beating their challenges.

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Back on topic guys. This is true. Silver Surfer is vastly underrated. And I mentioned Sentry and his power in this thread earlier, but his main weakness is that his mind is all jacked up. lol However if he can control himself, yes he could take out Supes.

Yeah, I mentioned the Surfer several pages back. He's certainly a heavy hitter.

Technically, half-god/half-mortal. Perhaps, Achilles would have been a better choice as he was a mortal dipped in invulnerability goo up to his ackles and thus became one of the first bulletproof warriors so to speak. Heracles was certainly a superhero of the day defying gods and meeting and beating their challenges.

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 10:11 PM ----------

Yeah, I mentioned the Surfer several pages back. He's certainly a heavy hitter.

Perseus as well.

I am kinda leaning toward the JLA...and yes Superman is the tipping point

Ironman vs Batman is no contest Ironman destroys Batman easy I also think CAP has his way with Batman and Robin.

Thor and Hulk would be a match for Superman but in the end he takes it.

Ironman, CAP, Hawkeye, are no match for Superman.

The only way I see the Avengers winning is being able to take out Superman is through superior tactics like having Stark or Banner figure out how to get Kryptonite or make it and expose Superman to it.

I love Comic debates.

Batman would destroy Ironman. Ironman relies on a suit. Batman would have files/research on how the tech works and manipulate it to his advantage. There's a reason the rest of the JLA is afraid of Batman. Batman always wins!

This would pose the most fascinating battle IMO. A battle of wits with two guys that have off the chart intelligence. I happen to agree Batman would prevail solely because of his cunning, which Ironman somewhat lacks IMO.

Archived