Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the NFL prohibit family members from working on the same team?

courier2003

OP, you're a year or two behind criticizing this hiring/job. The majority of Redskins nation has accepted that Kyle is a great OC who hasn't had the pieces to make his great offense work. That's about to change. Stay tuned, and be prepared to eat crow.

Hey, you leave Donovan alone! Everyone knows that Kyle not only ran him out of Washington. But also convinced Frazier to bench him in Minnesota. Since coaches aren't allowed to wear tin foil hats (NFL dress code) evil Kyle was able to brain wash the remaining NFL teams to keep the greatest QB of all time off the field.

this just boils down to another instance where the fan thinks they know better than the coach

This is unnecessary.

But so is a rule against family members working for the same team. Kyle's position and security is not a case of nepotism. He is a good coach that was qualified for the position and it makes sense for us to maintain as much stability in our coaching staff as possible from here on out.

The defense of Kyle in this thread seems a little slavish though. Kyle is not above criticism for his playcalling and some of the aspects of his offensive philosophy and design. I think he's too pass happy and has certainly demonstrated a pass happy streak the past two years. Brian Mitchell was critical of this tendency this year.

This is unnecessary.

I don't think so. The OP had a smarmy undertone ("Kyle's job is safe because of Daddy"). This family rule topic was just to get away with making a thread about "I dont like Kyle and don't ever want him to be head coach". That's what the thread is really about. And I have to say he was successful because if the thread was titled "I don't like Kyle and don't want him to be coach" it would be closed or merged with another thread about Kyle the coach.

This is unnecessary.

But so is a rule against family members working for the same team. Kyle's position and security is not a case of nepotism. He is a good coach that was qualified for the position and it makes sense for us to maintain as much stability in our coaching staff as possible from here on out.

The defense of Kyle in this thread seems a little slavish though. Kyle is not above criticism for his playcalling and some of the aspects of his offensive philosophy and design. I think he's too pass happy and has certainly demonstrated a pass happy streak the past two years. Brian Mitchell was critical of this tendency this year.

You're absolutely right---Kyle isn't above criticism. But there is legit criticism, such as feeling that he sometimes gets too pass happy, and there's "Kyle's only here because his Dad got him the job." It sets up a false question (should the NFL, in effect, ban nepotism) as a way to get a dig into the Kyle (Kyle's only here because Mike's his dad).

I personally have said a couple times in this thread that Kyle is not a perfect playcaller, and he still has much to learn from his father and those around him. But he is a bright guy who always seems to be able to scheme people open, and what him and Kubiak did with the Texans offense is something we can look forward to as we get the right pieces. But to imply that Kyle only has this job because Mike's his dad, I think, undermines and insults the dude.

The guy was on the fast track to a head coaching gig before he got here, and it wasn't because his last name was Shanahan.

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 05:30 PM ----------

I'll also say that no one would give a **** about being "pass happy" if we had a 60-40 pass-to-run ratio and were winning, Brian Mitchell included.

I have no problem with nepotism - as long as it's performed between consenting adults who are related to each other.

And having gone through my entire repertoire of nepotism jokes, I have to say "Who cares that they're related?" Kyle was doing a good job as an OC before he came here. His results here leave a lot to be desired, admittedly, but I'd have to lay the problems with the offense at the feet of the personnel on the offense. I don't think it would have made any difference if there was a different HC or a dfferent OC. Somehow, that lack of a franchise QB coupled with the lack of a good offensive line leads to that sort of thing.

I'd love to see the unfair labor lawsuits if the NFL or any other organization come to that tried to make that a rule.

Hail.

There are organizations and companies with such rules. It falls under Nepotism. Many companies disallow relatives joining the company out to a certain relationship level. This was adopted by some companies to get rid of the "good ole'boy" system where lets say 15 people in one family would monopolize the jobs and others did not have a fair chance at getting the job regardless of qualifications. However, some companies do not disallow such actions and as long as the person coming aboard is qualified and a good asset they have no problem hiring them.

Personally, I see both sides of the argument and am not sure where I stand on it...(not specific to this case)

With that said, I have NO problem with Kyle being here. He is doing a heckuva job in my opinion. Just look at the talent his was working with. I hope for great things out of the offense in the future.

When things are not going good, this is the first thing people point to; Mike's kid.

Does he deserve criticism? ABSOLUTELY! Just like everybody else does. I wasn't too thrilled about him coming here to begin with, and have made comments regarding and questioning his abilities, just as everyone else has, but its part of the game; scapegoats are simply too easy to pass up.

However, I do not agree on Kyle being behind the success of Houston; any team with a beast of a receiver and a QB who has the abilities to get him the ball doesn't really reflect the playcalling abilities of the OC for the success, thats more on the players.

Now, strategies during games, momentum shifts, etc, are things that Kyle can excel at, but still has alot to learn. This is where the OC becomes most important.

If it were a horrible idea, I am sure Mike would have put his foot down, but he knew there would be chatter about his son being here, but it boils down to success, and every fan in professional sports will agree as long as the winning sticks around...

Grossman / Beck combine for 24 INTs as opposed to 18 TDs, several of which are near the goal line.

Grossman and Beck are on the field, period.

We have six kicks blocked.

The offensive line suffers 715 seperate injuries.

The wide receiver corps compensates with 912 injuries of their own.

The Running backs, not to be outdone, also get hurt.

The left tackle and best pass catcher get suspended down the stretch for smoking pot

and the problem is nepotism.

Hell, who said our fan base wasn't any fun?

Oh, I think it was me. I think I've said before we have the dumbest fan base in the NFL. Occasionally i have thought I should maybe reconsider that,, but not today.

~Bang

One of my favorite scenes on Hard Knocks was Rex Ryan and Bryan Schottenheimer hanging out, talking about how cool their jobs were....and Rex says, "How did we ever get here?"

I immediately said (to no one), "Well your fathers were legendary coaches who gave you your first jobs, promoted you, and then pushed you through the ranks via their well-connected friends in the league."

The offense wasn't productive because we had a lot of the wrong people running the offense last year, not because of any fault of Kyle's. As has been stated many times by players (on our team and the Texans) we have had players running wide open, we just haven't had the QB to get them the ball. Kyle made his name working without Mike's "help" and he's a good coach despite what you and those other fans think.

When you go to games, you will actually see players WIDE open... so his offense works. I just hope we can get the open receivers the ball.

Bill Belicheck just hired his son as a coaching assistant.

Just got the ESPN text & thought of this thread too. See, the Patriots are SCREWED now. :silly:

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 08:35 PM ----------

Grossman / Beck combine for 24 INTs as opposed to 18 TDs, several of which are near the goal line.

The left tackle and best pass catcher get suspended down the stretch for smoking pot

Oh, I think it was me. I think I've said before we have the dumbest fan base in the NFL. Occasionally i have thought I should maybe reconsider that,, but not today.

~Bang

How did Danny Smith only SUBTLY get mentioned here? :)

~Bang

Dumbest? Not when we live pretty close to Bawlmore...

Archived