Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Eagles willing to trade Samuel for 5th or 6th

The asking price for four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel is dropping.

Reports the Philadelphia Eagles "we're looking for a 3d or 4th rd pick for (Samuel) were wrong. They are willing to take a 5th or 6th," tweeted Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82877807/article/report-eagles-willing-to-trade-samuel-for-5th-or-6th?module=HP11_headline_stack

I would trade for him a a heartbeat. A 5th or 6th for arguably the best zone coverage corner in the game? Our defense would be a perfect fit. Imagine Asante Samuel, Josh Wilson, and DeAngelo Hall on the field at the same time. Talk about a ball-hawking secondary.

I'd be shocked if they would trade him in the division that cheap. Obviously Reid let McNabb come here because he knew he was on the decline and wasn't a real threat to the Eagles.

He's 31 but probably still has at least a few more good years, for that price there will be a few teams interested that would be better options for the Eagles.

I would trade for him a a heartbeat. A 5th or 6th for arguably the best zone coverage corner in the game? Our defense would be a perfect fit. Imagine Asante Samuel, Josh Wilson, and DeAngelo Hall on the field at the same time. Talk about a ball-hawking secondary.

He makes like 10 million a year. We have no room under the cap and we're already paying DeAngelo a buttload of money. Too much money into one position. Plus he's 31 and thrives in the cover 2, something we don't always play. We do play it, but not like NE, Chi, TB or Philly.

He makes like 10 million a year. We have no room under the cap and we're already paying DeAngelo a buttload of money. Too much money into one position. Plus he's 31 and thrives in the cover 2, something we don't always play. We do play it, but not like NE, Chi, TB or Philly.

Yea, i dont think any team will be able to absorb that cap hit, especially us.

2012: $9.9 million, 2013: $11.4 million, 2014: Free Agent

Restructure how much though? We would have to drop him down to no more than $2M per year.

IIRC, I read 2-3 million a year. But I think he knows that it will take a lot more than that to make a trade happen. Its probably way more than we can afford, but I bet he would like to play Philthy twice a year

If we don't do this.... we're dumb.

Part of it would depend on whether Philly is willing to trade him to a division rival when there will probably be other suitors, and another part will depend on how much of a pay cut he's willing to take.

Part of it would depend on whether Philly is willing to trade him to a division rival when there will probably be other suitors, and another part will depend on how much of a pay cut he's willing to take.

Well this obviously does depend a lot on Philly and Samuel... but if the offer is there we should accept in a hearbeat.

Restructuring him to fit under the cap this year wouldn't be hard. You extend the contract and convert his salary to a signing bonus and prorate it. Next years number may be an issue though but could probably be worked into next years cap.

Not that I'm advocating us trading for him, just pointing out that his cap hit isn't much of a deterrent.

Trivia Question

When was the last time that the Eagles traded anyone that turned out to not be a totally one sided deal for them?

Of all the players they have had over the last decade, the only one I can recall who ever performed after he left is Brian Dawkins, not coincidentally he is the only one of the last ten years worth of Eagles who should be in the Hall of Fame.

When the caller ID says "Philadelphia eagles".. don't answer the phone. If there is one thing they know, it's when to cut bait.

~Bang

Archived