Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: LSU CB Morris Clairborne scores 4 on Wonderlic

skinsfanindallas88

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7770388/2012-nfl-draft-morris-claiborne-top-cb-prospect-scored-4-wonderlic-sources-say

Former LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, the highest-rated cornerback in the NFL draft, scored a 4 out of 50 on the Wonderlic Test administered to prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Pro Football Talk first reported Claiborne's test score.

Claiborne's score is the lowest known score by a draft prospect since Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly received a 4 in 2000. In 2006, quarterback Vince Young, who was the third overall pick by the Tennessee Titans, reportedly scored a 6 on his initial test before retaking it and getting a 16. Quarterback Dan Marino also scored a 16 and went on to a Hall of Fame career with the Miami Dolphins.

According to what I heard on the radio, a score of 4 means that Claiborne is basically illiterate

I feel like there's a story about the lowest wonderlic score for a 1st round prospect every year. He's not on our radar anywho.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2012 at 01:55 PM ----------

Hilarious, but if you read the rest of the article they actually say that low scores have a tendency to translate to professional success for DBs. Weird.

Maybe they like them dumb so they can forget about getting burned for a TD and move on with the game. They're like goldfish!

Try this sample wonderlic test out (an old ESPN page 2 article)

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

I ran out of time, but for extra credit I did compute that Clairborne would have scored 1.2 questions right on this test given his previous 4/50 outing.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2012 at 02:37 PM ----------

Well it doesn't take a ton of brain power to be a DB...see ball get ball, guy catch ball hit guy

Does that thought process explain why so few corners come up in run support? j/k j/k

Read somewhere this morning that he has a learning disability, don't know if there's much truth to that, but I guess that'd make a little sense.

Here we go: http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-draft/2012/4/3/2922913/morris-claiborne-wonderlic-learning-disability

Early Tuesday morning news circulated that LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne, likely a top pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, scored a four on his Wonderlic test, a test of basic intelligence administered to players at the annual Scouting Combine. According to Greg Gabriel at the National Football Post, Claiborne has a learning disability.

Details about Claiborne's learning disability are unknown, but Gabriel did say that he understood it to have something to do with the young man's reading ability. Gabriel goes on to say that Claiborne has worked hard in spite of the disability, taking advantage of resources offered by the school for his classwork

Either that, or he knows he's getting drafted in the top 10 (possibly top 5) anyway, so he completely blew off the test

This is what I'm thinking. He probably said to himself "I'm going in the 1st round anyways, I don't care about this test." Which would be red flag for character issues for me if I was in the FO of a team that may draft him.

I hope he tried his best and didn't blow off a test that future employers use to help grade a player.

Well it doesn't take a ton of brain power to be a DB...see ball get ball, guy catch ball hit guy

I'm not DB in the NFL but I disagree. In a position where the rules, and time benefit your opponent (the WR), I would think it takes good critical thinking, and good/quick decision making in more ways than one. Tackle him? Do you have a teammate nearby? Stand him up, strip ball? Don't bite on pump fakes.. etc. You need a fast brain, which is a high IQ, which I think is pretty much what the wonderlic's determining.

The data shows that for defensive backs, the lower the Wonderlic score, the better the player. From the article in the original post:

"A 2009 study by professors from Fresno State University, the University of Georgia and Towson State found no connection between Wonderlic scores and performance during the first three years of a player's NFL career. The group studied 762 players from the 2002, 2003 and 2004 draft classes.

John W. Michel, an assistant professor at Towson University who co-authored the study, told the Washington Post: "We found in no cases was cognitive ability related to (football) performance. We did find a negative relationship for tight ends and defensive backs. For defensive backs, it was the most pronounced; basically, the lower you scored on the Wonderlic, the better you performed."

I'm not DB in the NFL but I disagree. In a position where the rules, and time benefit your opponent (the WR), I would think it takes good critical thinking, and good/quick decision making in more ways than one. Tackle him? Do you have a teammate nearby? Stand him up, strip ball? Don't bite on pump fakes.. etc. You need a fast brain, which is a high IQ, which I think is pretty much what the wonderlic's determining.

I disagree.

It seems to me that the great DBs of the NFL relied less on book smarts and high IQs, and more on instinct.

That God-given talent of going with how you feel things are flowing and letting your senses take over that not everyone has.

The wonderlic results show that lower scoring DBs do better in the NFL. That is probably because they let their instincts take over and don't try to think too hard about what is going on.

It doesn't make them dumb.... it just means they are the more natural players at their positions.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2012 at 06:33 PM ----------

Yeah, because we all know 3/4ths of these guys are recruited to come play football because of their book smarts.:rolleyes:;)

True. :) They really aren't.

As has been said in this thread, Marino got a 16 out of a possible 50.

Not very good, but he went on to a HoF career, and is considered one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Meanwhile, one of our guys, Patrick Ramsey, while I don't know his wonderlic score, left college, I believe, with four degrees.

Didn't help him in the NFL as we all know.

Book smarts are NOT a good indicator of how good or bad a player will be.

he apparently has a learning disability

Just don't get how some people get degrees in college ... but get a 4 on these test. This is basic stuff.

to get a degree you have to maintain a C average in your major classes. Its not as hard as you think and a lot of regular people who were magna cum laude at their colleges would probably bomb this test too.

Listening to PTI tonight Wilbon indicated this story was out of line if not racist for putting this info out there. I really like Wilbon but disagree 100% with his opinion on this. During the combine, damn near everthing there is measurable physically is out there for the teams and public. Why the secrecy for how they do on a intelligence test????

Different topic from the article "Claiborne's agent, Bus Cook, said he hadn't heard about Claiborne's test score." WTFO? He is this guy's agent and doesn't know what is score is? Clairbone's is TRULY stupid for hiring such a lazy agent who is not paying attention OR more likely doing a really piss poor job of lying/damage control!

Archived