Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: On the subject of London Fletcher and free agency

themurf

6617557393_39c65d68b8.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

While the front office of the Washington Redskins is working diligently to upgrade the roster in hopes of improving upon last season’s disappointing 5-11 record, the status of one key player remains unclear.

Once the Redskins finalized their deal with the St. Louis Rams to acquire the second-overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft ensuring the opportunity to land a potential franchise quarterback for the first time in decades, all eyes in Washington turned to the status of middle linebacker London Fletcher.

The 14-year veteran has been a team captain, a locker room leader and the heart and soul of the Redskins defense for the last five seasons, so naturally more than a few ‘Skins fans are concerned about the very real possibility of losing Fletcher via free agent.

Even Redskins general manager Bruce Allen has made it clear that he’s doing whatever he can in hopes of bringing the 36-year-old back to the burgundy and gold.

“I’m not going to hide the fact that we love London Fletcher,” Allen said. “We hope that he’s a Redskin next year.”

Fletcher was named a second-team All Pro last season and earned his third trip to the Pro Bowl in five seasons in Washington, so there’s no denying just how talented the John Carroll standout is each and every time he takes the field.

Which makes what I’m about to say that much tougher — the Redskins should do what they can to re-sign Fletcher. To a point.

His value is obviously greater to the Redskins than it is to any other team out there, but that doesn’t mean the front office should hand over a blank check. Fletcher turns 37 this May, and while there’s no doubt he takes great care of himself — after all, he’s never missed a game in 14 seasons — no one can play professional football forever.

Not even London Fletcher.

Think about some of the greatest teams in professional sports — teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers. While neither franchise has ever come right out and said it, both have historically operated under the matra “It is better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late.”

That’s how Hall of Famers like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice end up playing elsewhere in the final days of their respective careers. Even now, Hines Ward, who has been a staple of Pittsburgh for the last 14 seasons, has to ask himself if he wants to start over in another city or call it quits after the Steelers let him go.

One of the greatest players in NFL history, a guy by the name of Peyton Manning, is currently unemployed. That guy has meant more to Indianapolis than you or I could ever imagine and yet, he was shown the door by the Colts because they thought it was what was best for the franchise.

And as painful as it is to admit, my favorite football player of all time — James Arthur Monk — was unceremoniously shown the door after 14 Hall of Fame seasons in Washington. Like I said, no one can play the game forever.

I’m not taking anything away from Fletcher’s stellar career, but I think it’s safe to say that Monk meant more for the Redskins than a guy who didn’t come to town until his 10th NFL season. So if the franchise didn’t implode once Monk was let go, then it’ll probably survive when Fletcher is no longer around to lead the league in tackles on yet another double-digit loss team.

I understand the sentimental value of guys like Fletcher, Santana Moss or Chris Cooley. I get that ‘Skins fans haven’t had much to celebrate over in recent history, so it’s worth clinging on to one of these players when they enter your life and show they care about more than just cashing a paycheck or being a celebrity.

But that doesn’t mean that the franchise is obligated to bend over backwards to accommodate them or look the other way when production begins to slip.

Let’s be real for a minute, Sam Huff is one of the greatest players to ever lace ‘em up and deserves the utmost respect for playing back in the days when guys were really allowed to beat the ever loving hell out of each other.

But that version of Huff is long gone, and it’s hardly a secret. Sadly, the guy in the broadcast booth today isn’t the same man he was and for me personally, it’s tough to hear him like this. I’m not saying they should run the Hall of Famers out of town or anything like that. I’m just saying that players rarely know when to call it quits and they almost never get to write their own endings.

Click here for the full article.

nice write-up ... still, like you said, would love to have him retire a Redskin ... the only thing we have form the past decade and a half worth remembering are a few key players who gave it their all no matter the score or W/L record and in my mind at least going to be remembered as Redskins. I wont begrudge him either, the guy is a class act and a true role model. Selfishly, I hope that the skins are able to match any other offer out there that might come his way. We could still use one more year beofre we have to transition to the next guy in the middle. HAIL!

nice write-up ... still, like you said, would love to have him retire a Redskin ... the only thing we have form the past decade and a half worth remembering are a few key players who gave it their all no matter the score or W/L record and in my mind at least going to be remembered as Redskins. I wont begrudge him either, the guy is a class act and a true role model. Selfishly, I hope that the skins are able to match any other offer out there that might come his way. We could still use one more year beofre we have to transition to the next guy in the middle. HAIL!

Very well said. And since there's obviously no bad blood between the player and the front office, I do hope the Redskins are given a chance to match any deal that comes Fletcher's way. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Murf -- you are one heckuva sports writer. You always produce tremendously insightful, well-written prose.

Really hope London is able to stay in town for his final contract. He is exactly the type of player we are trying to get this to team emulate.

Part of me wonders just how much Fletcher wants to remain a Redskin. He walked away from the Rams and the Bills, and that was probably largely due to sour relations between his agent and those front offices. A similar situation may well be playing itself out here. Fletcher has been through a few agents, having retained a new one just a few weeks ago. I'm sure the Skins are offering him a contract that is fair for both him and the interests of the team. I'd like to see him back with the team, but in the end, he knows that the team is still rebuilding and an exorbitant contract to a damn-near-40-year-old linebacker would not be rational for a team that has just taken a significant league-mandated salary cap hit. If you care about the team and really want to remain with the team, player and agent should make reasonable demands. Is he holding out to wait for the G. Williams situation to clear up in St. Louis? I honestly think his options are limited if he doesn't re-sign with the Skins for a modest contract. No other team is going to overpay for a linebacker of his age, even in light of his extraordinary performance over the last two seasons especially. Contracts are for expected performance, and I just don't see any other teams serving up a Montgomery Brewster-type contract for a linebacker who may have two more years left. I love the guy, but loyalty has its limits.

Murf, you have done it again. This is a great read and as much as it would pain me to lose a player of his caliber, life will go on. Fletcher is a great LB and will eventually land in the HOF. Fletcher was signed to St. Louis as an undrafted free agent and they caught lightning in a bottle. Hopefully we could have similar luck. I love Fletcher as a player and it'll be great for him to retire as a Redskin but we can't outbid ourselves.

:helmet:

The Redskins will sign London to a 12 year guaranteed contract, at the end of which, we'll be working on resigning him to another deal, since he'll have continued to lead the league in tackles as a 50 year old linebacker. It will be slightly marred by a breaking scandal that London is not truly human, but with no proof other than his continued youthful play at middle linebacker, his eligibility will still remain, and he will play well into his early sixties, all with the B&G.

Now leave me alone with my homeristic delusions.

And oh ya, on a serious note....nice write up, as always murf, love the insight, as painful as it may be to see him go, you're dead on.

Great article Murf! Now I would never have any bad blood if Fletcher would sign elsewhere, but I would hope he would give the Front Office a chance to match any offer he might get with another team, so he can play right here, his remaining years in the NFL. That would give us a chance to try and draft his replacement before he retires. And to me, it's not about the money, it's more about taking care of the players that have gone above and beyond for your organization.

Players have talked about being alienated by the Front Office pre-Allen and Bruce Allen has made it a point to try and change that. I think this is one of those times that you need to send a message...If you are one of those players that mean a lot to this franchise, then we will take care of you.

6617557393_39c65d68b8.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Think about some of the greatest teams in professional sports — teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers. While neither franchise has ever come right out and said it, both have historically operated under the matra “It is better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late.”

That’s how Hall of Famers like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice end up playing elsewhere in the final days of their respective careers. Even now, Hines Ward, who has been a staple of Pittsburgh for the last 14 seasons, has to ask himself if he wants to start over in another city or call it quits after the Steelers let him go.

I disagree with this characterization, the great teams allow such prominent but aging players go because they have someone emerging behind them. Having that heavily laden pipeline of player development is what makes such franchises great, not there astute ability to time the release of veterans.

Great article and I feel the same way. I know we *NEED* Fletch. The age thing does keep creeping into my mind. He is like another coach on the field in putting the D in the right positions to make plays. I have the utmost respect for him. His age gives me pause though. At what point is he worth sacrificing going younger? I can't even answer that for myself and am glad that I am not in the position where I have to make that call. My heart says give him what he wants, my brain says to just make an offer that we consider fair and to get someone younger that he can teach.

Even though I know the day is coming when Fletch will no longer a Skin, it's hard to think about to much. He will be in the ring of fame and even though I don't think he will get in, he belongs in the hall of fame.

Oh, Murf,

It's not the end of the world; is it?

There are certain players, as mentioned above, like Monk, Green, Fletcher, Lewis, Montana, and others, who are more than players; they are assistant guide rails.

A player like Fletch is a hard commodity to find today; most players in his position are so beaten up over the years, they simply drop off the edge of this flat earth.

But, he is more than a quality, stand-up guy; he's also an incredible mentor to the younger 'kids' coming in. He's not a cheapshot artist, doesn't throw fits, plays and gives his 100% on every play, and that quality in itself is rare.

Has his skills or speed diminished over the years? Possible, but as the old saying goes, young horses are stronger, but the older ones know the way. The benefit and guidance he gives teammates is almost worth the money itself [ if I were signing the checks ] but he is a quality player who is well respected by everyone.

Personally, I'd love to see him retire a Redskin, maybe in a few years, or even begin an early player/coach opportunity, where he can play a little longer, then transition into a coaching position down the road. It looks as if the team is making the right moves to get back into a very competitive division, and losing a player of Fletch's stature will be a big blow, and its usually a year like this where a player like him makes alot of noise on the field, and we need it. We need it...

Great Job Murf!

Im torn on this whole fletcher situation. At first, I really wanted him to resign and stay here the rest of his career. I thought we NEEDED him. Ive joined in on and tried to lead the #Resign59 twitter madness throughout the past week.

However, after really thinking about these FA signing you can see what direction the franchise wants to go. They chose to sign 25 to 26 year old guys that will hit their prime in 2 to 3 years. I dont think the FO is looking to be really good this year, or maybe even next. I think theyre looking at rgIII coming in and really excelling in 2 to 3 years and they want everyone to be hitting their prime at that point in time. Fletcher is 37 and will be 39 to 40 in 2 to 3 years, and will really start to be declining at the point in time where we will really need him.

Im wondering if it wouldnt just be better to get a younger MLB that can play and will be hitting their prime in 2 to 3 years. If they have growing pains and struggle right now its okay, because lets face it, we wont make a superbowl run next year anyway. I think having fletcher will greatly help us this year, but in my mind, next year is not when we need the most production out of our MLB. If we were closer to the big game I would say we need him, but since we are a couple years away I think he would be great to have around, but we will be fine and maybe even better in the long run if we get someone else.

So what i want to happen would be:

Offer fletcher reasonable contract but dont break the bank.

-If he accepts then I would draft younger MLB maybe early rounds next year to learn from fletch and take over a couple years down the road to really hit his prime at the right time.

-If he doesnt accept it then maybe grab Curtis Lofton or another young FA that will still be able to play for the next 7 to 8 years when we will need stability at the position

Good post.....I think we'd all hate to see London Fletcher go and we could use his leadership this year more than any other. But, it's also probably time to find a MLB who's young and can grow with our young QB, RB's and WR's.....how long can London continue to play at a high level? How long can we expect him to be able to run with the LaSean McCoy's of the league? If we're going with youth on offense, we probably need to get younger on defense too.

Does anyone know if it's the years, dollars, or both that Fletcher and the Skins are apart on? I don't think I'd give him more than a 2 year deal and he may want more than that being that it's his last contract he'll sign.

unfortunately you hit the nail on the had in my opinion. this fan base gets attached to players unlike most fan bases - and lets be clear, that includes me. there are a number of players who's exit caused quite a stir; whether the exit was the players decision, the teams, or neither's (sean taylor). we get attached to players because the team itself has been down right dreadful for 20 years; the ownership (and by extension, the 'organization') is considered evil, dumb, and greedy so we can't cling to that. individual players are all that's left for us with (i would argue that ended with this new era of allen and shanahan, but it's too early to be able to back that argument up with anything factual).

so situations like this become polarizing. there are some fans who will take great offense to another fan suggesting it's time to move past fletcher, while others actually want fletcher to move on so he can have the last few years he deserves on a team that can compete for another ring, and everyone else is somewhere in between.

i'd love for fletcher to be a part of this organization forever. i honestly hope he becomes a member of the coaching staff because i think he has the intelligence, determination, leadership, and credentials to be in that position. it'd be nice if he could play ILB for us until its time to move into coaching.

but, above all, i want the franchise to not be hampered trying to keep him here. i want him back, but we can't overpay for him. we're not in a position to make those mistakes. hopefully fletcher stays, but if he goes it'll be for understandable reasons and i'll never stop cheering for him regardless.

Ray Lewis could have signed with the Jets. Ravens gave him one last deal. I think at the end of the day the Redskins offer will be the best and he will re-sign.

While I don't mind giving Fletch one last deal, the two situations are different. Ray Lewis was drafted by Baltimore, won a SB and has played his entire career with them. London came here his 10th year. I want, really want us to re-sign him, but it has to be on our terms. Unfortunately for him we hold the leverage because of his age. If he were 33-34, I'd give him what he wants, it would be that easy for me. I like what the FO is doing. They gave him an offer and told him if he can't find something better, the offer still stands. If he finds something else, I wish him luck. We could find an ILB like Lofton to fill the gap for 3 years while we draft and groom his replacement. I was very sentimental when Monk, Clark, Sanders and other Redskin greats put on uniforms of other teams and it killed me, but in the end, I want what's best for the team and not London. Heres hoping we see #59 back on the field this year.

I disagree with this characterization, the great teams allow such prominent but aging players go because they have someone emerging behind them. Having that heavily laden pipeline of player development is what makes such franchises great, not there astute ability to time the release of veterans.

I agree, and believe the decision to move on would be so much easier if we had someone on the up-and-coming. Riley is an interior LB, but the leader of the defense? Hardly doubt it at this point.

Archived