Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meet Joshua Morgan

Dan T.

Just seems like when you start bringing in players who are carbon copies of guys you already have, it means you aren't satisfied with what you have. Both these guys are solidly built WRs coming off injury. Perhaps they are not totally sold on Hankerson or else his recovery is not going well? When it comes down to the numbers, they might be competing against each other for a spot because they would pretty much be playing the same role on the team.

Morgan is a guy who really tops out at a #3 or hopefully a #2 receiver. Hankerson is taller, faster and put up big time stats in college. He has the potential to be a #1 if things come together. I don't really see them as that similar.

We seem to forget that Hankerson was injured last year. He had 70+ catches, 1100+ yards and 13 TDs in his senior year at Miami, he's overflowing with potential.

Well, it's awfully crowded at that postion now...

Who among this crowded field:

Joshua Morgan

Pierre Garcon

Santana Moss

Jabar Gaffney

Leonard Hankerson

Anthony Armstrong

Terrence Austin

Niles Paul

Brandon Banks

Aldrick Robinson

makes the 2012 roster?

Don't forget 2011's Donte Stallworth and David Anderson who are UFAs.

Stallworth is talking on twitter like he won't be back. And that's kinda duh. I think Armstrong and Austin are both locks to be gone. I'd be shocked if Robinson makes it. No chance Banks is here. So that leaves:

Garcon

Morgan

Royal (maybe)

Hankerson

Gaffney

Moss

Paul

Personally, I think either Moss or Gaffney are gone. Maybe both. I don't think there's a chance both of them are here though.

I wonder if the Courtship of Eddie Royal is over. With the signing of both Garcon and Morgan, things might be too crowded for him now. The reports that talks "broke off" - even after some were reporting that a deal was done - seem to signal he's going elsewhere.

But Royal and Morgan did kept in touch with each other after turning pro. Maybe the prospect of being reunited with his college teammate - and of playing in his home town - will keep the Redskins in the mix .

Due to my viewing most SF games over the years, seeing the guy play a lot, and other reasons for knowing about SF, I posted positively (and reasonably) a number times yesterday on this guy and won't repeat all that again, here. But late last night after signing out on ES I got a call from 49er Phil ( a solid SF source of info) and he said he felt they lost their best wide receiver. Said he's not flashy but very consistent with great hands when being utilized and once in awhile will make that circus catch. Tough kid, works hard, and a great blocker. His only concern was that the broken leg heals well. He puts him over Crabtree, for instance (but he's disappointed in Crabby). We'll see, but I gave a fair amount of reason even beyond this as to why I think it's a great get for us for the price, while still keeping my feet on the ground. Bonus is he has the rep of being a great locker room guy and team player. Typically, I noted a share of FF/Madden/stats kids slamming pick immediately who likely never saw more than 2minutes of real life game film if that, and figuring all the pros who give the guy good reviews must be clueless. Fingers crossed because it would be great to see the kid do well in his home turf.:)

Let me chime in as a Virginia Tech fan.

Josh(ua) Morgan may not have put up spectacular numbers at Virginia Tech, but he spent most of his college career with Sean Glennon (blech) as his QB, and Brian Stinespring (double blech) as his Offensive Coordinator and play-caller. Not only was Glennon a disappointment but the offense relied heavily on the run. Let's not forget that he's been in a similar situation with Alex Smith and a run-heavy offense in SF. He did have some impressive games, especially his 126 yard performance against Auburn in the '06 Sugar Bowl.

So, he may not be what everyone was expecting, he's only 6 feet tall but I'd like to see what he can do with someone like RG3, and I'm always happy to have Hokies (especially local guys) on the Skins.

Low risk, high reward. And he's local. Love the signing.

Not all FA signings are going to be superstars. You need people like Joshua Morgan on your team. Glad to have him.

Totally agree.. nice to see some substance rather than the big flashy names we usually get excited about.

~Bang

Let me chime in as a Virginia Tech fan.

Josh(ua) Morgan may not have put up spectacular numbers at Virginia Tech, but he spent most of his college career with Sean Glennon (blech) as his QB, and Brian Stinespring (double blech) as his Offensive Coordinator and play-caller. Not only was Glennon a disappointment but the offense relied heavily on the run. Let's not forget that he's been in a similar situation with Alex Smith and a run-heavy offense in SF. He did have some impressive games, especially his 126 yard performance against Auburn in the '06 Sugar Bowl.

So, he may not be what everyone was expecting, he's only 6 feet tall but I'd like to see what he can do with someone like RG3, and I'm always happy to have Hokies (especially local guys) on the Skins.

Agree with all your points, another thing too is he's coming off a fractured ankle so we'll see how he responds.

Mike Williams (Seattle) and DeMarco Murray are others who had the same injury this season.

Two things seem to have (potentially) muted Morgan's numbers to date: staph infection early on that knocked him out an entire year and having Alex Smith as his QB. The more I read about this guy, the more I'm impressed. He broke his lower leg last year and that was, I believe, in week #5. The thing that was questionable to me was he did it when the Niners were up 41-3. Yes, maybe Harbaugh is the jerk he's made out to be.

Due to my viewing most SF games over the years, seeing the guy play a lot, and other reasons for knowing about SF, I posted positively (and reasonably) a number times yesterday on this guy and won't repeat all that again, here. But late last night after signing out on ES I got a call from 49er Phil ( a solid SF source of info) and he said he felt they lost their best wide receiver. Said he's not flashy but very consistent with great hands when being utilized and once in awhile will make that circus catch. Tough kid, works hard, and a great blocker. His only concern was that the broken leg heals well. He puts him over Crabtree, for instance (but he's disappointed in Crabby). We'll see, but I gave a fair amount of reason even beyond this as to why I think it's a great get for us for the price, while still keeping my feet on the ground. Bonus is he has the rep of being a great locker room guy and team player. Typically, I noted a share of FF/Madden/stats kids slamming pick immediately who likely never saw more than 2minutes of real life game film if that, and figuring all the pros who give the guy good reviews must be clueless. Fingers crossed because it would be great to see the kid do well in his home turf.:)

Precisely this. Everyone who's seen him play likes him -- everyone who hasn't doesn't :ols:

Absolutely love what Morgan brings to the table, even if he only finishes the season with 40odd catches

I don't know the latest on Eddie Royal, but he's another local guy... Westfield High School and Morgan's teammate at Va. Tech.

This front office has brought in quite a few local products over the past couple years. I always like it when they do that.

Well, it's awfully crowded at that postion now...

Who among this crowded field:

Joshua Morgan

Pierre Garcon

Santana Moss

Jabar Gaffney

Leonard Hankerson

Anthony Armstrong

Terrence Austin

Niles Paul

Brandon Banks

Aldrick Robinson

makes the 2012 roster?

Don't forget 2011's Donte Stallworth and David Anderson who are UFAs.

I think Moss would make the roster based on skill and productivity, but will not make it based on salary concerns and age. I love Moss, and I will never forget what he did one Monday night in 2005, nor will I forget that he is our fourth all-time receiver, I just think the present situation may require us to part ways.

Garcon and Morgan are probably a given, since we spent so much to get them.

I also think Gaffney makes it by virtue of his career year in 2011, when he lead the team in receiving. I think his career year was due largely to his buddy Rexy throwing to him all the time (something I predicted would happen ;)), and so his numbers may be inflated, but I still thing he probably makes it.

That leaves Hankerson, Paul, Armstrong, Austin, Banks, and Robinson to battle it out. Hankerson has a lot of potential, Armstrong has done the most on the field, and Banks has value as a special teams player. Ultimately though, I think this will come down to how they do in camp and the preseason.

If we bring in Royal, as rumored, that will further complicate things. Royal's special teams skills would probably effect Banks' odds of making the roster.

Two things seem to have (potentially) muted Morgan's numbers to date: staph infection early on that knocked him out an entire year and having Alex Smith as his QB. The more I read about this guy, the more I'm impressed. He broke his lower leg last year and that was, I believe, in week #5. The thing that was questionable to me was he did it when the Niners were up 41-3. Yes, maybe Harbaugh is the jerk he's made out to be.

It was week 5, 4:46 left in 4th quarter of a 41-3 blowout of the Buccaneers. It was a 19 yard reception on a 4th and 3 from the Bucs 20 yard line. Morgan was tackled just short of the goal line and broke his ankle. The Niners scored two plays later for a 48-3 final.

Has anybody noticed something? Since Bruce Allen has returned, we have been bringing in a lot of local guys. I know there might be more, but the two I can think of last year were Hightower and Wilson. Now we have Morgan. DMV in the house!!! :ols:

I wonder if this is a coincidence?

Maybe there is intangible value in doing so? The guys want to be here more and play harder? Not too much of a stretch IMO. They probably get to play in front of their family now every Sunday which could help you play better.

And I'm beginning to not care about how tall they are. Rice wasn't a 6-4 WR, neither was Tim Brown, Cris Carter or Gary Clark. These guys made plays and a couple are HOFers and all should be. Production. That's all I care about. I know we have alot of Hokie Homers on ES, but I don't care about that either. Once they are in the pros, the college moniker is out the window as far as I'm concerned. They could come from Fartbag University as long as they produce.

I wonder if this is a coincidence?

Maybe there is intangible value in doing so? The guys want to be here more and play harder? Not too much of a stretch IMO. They probably get to play in front of their family now every Sunday which could help you play better.

I saw the Joshua Morgan interview on redskins Nation last night. He said it's going to feel like High School all over again. Preparing all week to play in front of your family and friends. He seems like a real cool dude, hopefully he can get his man on the field.

Hoping aldrick robinson steps up and replaces one of the older guys.

Local media guys and some of our ES insiders have been talking about Robinson a bit this morning on twitter. Said he has great natural gifts, that his BS college (SMU) didn't prepare him for the NFL as far as routes go but he really put in worked and impressed. They brought him up from the practice squad because teams were scouting him and he was about to be picked up by someone else. Also that he's been working his ass off all off season.

Archived