Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

READ UPDATE IN OP PLEASE! 2012 Redskins Free Agency Updated Tracker: Garcon, Morgan, Meriweather, Cedric Griffin signed; Carriker and Grossman re-up (OP will be updated w/signings, cuts, trades, etc.)

DC9

Pick up Richardson and Floyd...that's a good start. Who knows how good Colt can be with actual receivers and running backs?

True true...still, you'd think they'd want to cover their bases.

That said, I do like Colt McCoy more than a lot of other people. Can't hate the Browns if their plan is to build through the draft.

What a boring weekend, the only thing we have done is brought Grossman back.....SNORE..... give me something to talk about.... sign Bell, he's young and helps in a big way. Call London and get him back......

Call Casey Studdard to Redskins Park.... Call in someone to visit for Monday.... BORE

I'm so bored

What a boring weekend, the only thing we have done is brought Grossman back.....SNORE..... give me something to talk about.... sign Bell, he's young and helps in a big way. Call London and get him back......

Call Casey Studdard to Redskins Park.... Call in someone to visit for Monday.... BORE

I'm so bored

Typically, boring offseasons are supposed to be good. Exciting offseasons got us nothing but pain and disappointment come September...

man, I have been blasting my SEA source and friends who are hawk fans as to why they're not"all in"on Manning (they were on RG3--for them) and Flynn if they wanted to do soemthing smart. They have a solid run game, good defense, and some talented receivers. They're a good QB away from right in it with SF, barring SF getting Manning.

You know, I hate Seattle's uniforms so much that it clouds my opinion of them, but when the question of where Manning would go came up I, I started to look at them a bit. They were top 10 in each of points, yard and takeaways on D (and with the potential to get a lot better with a pass rusher or 2). They've got Lynch and they've invested heavily in their Line (mostly thru the draft) and recievers (mostly FA). They're a team that could surprise next year if Flynn works out.

I think we might be reading too much into this Bell contract thing. It's Sunday. Last week was insane and probably exhausting for all parties, especially the FO. They probably worked hard through Friday, took Saturday a little slower, and are relaxing a bit today. I mean, these guys probably worked a 48 hour shift through Thursday, and the players and agents weren't exactly lazing about either.

The other theory, of course, is that we're working on an appeal/court filing for the cap thing. Of course, with Winston off the market, Bell is the best available anyway, so he probably gets a contract regardless of how we approach the case, but Ross might be held up because of it. Tracy Porter is still out there, and while I think skill wise they are similar, Porter is younger and probably more malleable. As such we might try and swing an injunction and then go after Porter.

We also might be slowing down because we're trying to choose between Bell+Ross OR Fletcher. That'd be worth talking over for a few days.

Wow...interesting. Looks like Alex Smith is headed for Miami or Cleveland, with Tannehill going opposite him.
Miami is gonna get left out in the cold in the QB market it appears.

This is why Shanahan deserves all the credit in the world for moving up. Flynn got a contract well over what he's worth. Average Smith will end up somewhere as a 2-3 year stopgap, and Tannehill will be drafted almost certainly in the top 10 by either the Browns or Miami despite the fact deep down everyone knows he's a 2nd rounder. Meanwhile, we're sitting pretty with our shiny new elite prospect.

We also might be slowing down because we're trying to choose between Bell+Ross OR Fletcher. That'd be worth talking over for a few days.

I sure hope that isnt it. We only have one starting ILB at the moment. So we have to either re-sign Fletcher or a simliar quantity. So if we can't afford that AND Bell/Ross, why even talk to the other two?

Typically, boring offseasons are supposed to be good. Exciting offseasons got us nothing but pain and disappointment come September...

Very very true.... just need something to talk about... we wore out RGIII and now all we have is re-signing grossman.... I just need fletch to come back or lets go with Tulloch

You know, I hate Seattle's uniforms so much that it clouds my opinion of them, but when the question of where Manning would go came up I, I started to look at them a bit. They were top 10 in each of points, yard and takeaways on D (and with the potential to get a lot better with a pass rusher or 2). They've got Lynch and they've invested heavily in their Line (mostly thru the draft) and recievers (mostly FA). They're a team that could surprise next year if Flynn works out.

Well, and manning has spoken glowingly of Seattle as a city several times in the past and I thought "what a fit" in so many ways--Carroll is low-key and quick to delegate authority if beneficial,and all the pieces are there as much as any other options (minus a Fitzgerald target which only AZ has). So yeah, seemed like a no-brainer but from what I hear they didn't even try. It might be due to, as I have often said here over the years, the organization is often stingy with the purse strings for vets.

What the **** are the Browns doing...

I mean...seriously. Who are they going to bring in to compete with Colt McCoy? It really does seem now like, for all the talk of them being uninterested in RG3, they're entire plan at quarterback revolved around drafting the guy. And not only have they not addressed quarterback, but even if they're going to roll with McCoy, and despite having a ton of cap room, they've added NOTHING in terms of weapons for the quarterbacks to throw to.

If I didn't know better I'd say they were preparing to tank and pray they get Matt Barkley, the way they're approaching stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Browns take Blackmon at #4, and then go after Weeden in the 2nd.

Well, and manning has spoken glowingly of Seattle as a city several times in the past and I thought "what a fit" in so many ways--Carroll is low-key and quick to delegate authority if beneficial,and all the pieces are there as much as any other options (minus a Fitzgerald target which only AZ has). So yeah, seemed like a no-brainer but from what I hear they didn't even try. It might be due to, as I have often said here over the years, the organization is often stingy with the purse strings for vets.

Don't want to derail this thread with too much Manning talk, but I think the 49ers have always been the clear no-brainer here. If he signs there, they probably become the front-runner for the next two SBs (and this coming from someone who's been skeptical of how good Manning will be going froward). I could see Denver, as they have a lot of pieces, including a tremendous OLine, which I could see him placing an emphasis on. With that and the comfort level with the AFC (and the weaker competition there) I could see Denver, though San Fran is a better choice. But if he "goes home" to Tennessee then this really isn't about winning a title, imo.

We don't need another QB. The big free agent Manning reunites with the state of Tennessee, Hasselback reunites with Holmgren in Cleveland, Tannehill reunites with Sherman in Miami, and Smith stays put in SF. Are all the musical chairs taken? Is everybody happy? So, who are we going to sign next? I'm hoping its Fletch or Hawthorne, then Bell.

QB problems solved for everybody!:) If Manning goes to Tennessee, I can see the dominoes falling exactly as you suggested. On a more serious note, I also hope they get Fletcher signed.

Alexander also has been an ILB IIRC at least he was listed at that.

Anybody heard if there's any interest in signing K. Fox, by us or anyone else, to play ILB? I think Alexander was also a utility infielder for the Nationals last year. Can't keep a good man down. Seriously, I've thought that they would be moving Lorenzo inside, and I hope we resign Fox.

Anybody heard if there's any interest in signing K. Fox, by us or anyone else, to play ILB? I think Alexander was also a utility infielder for the Nationals last year. Can't keep a good man down. Seriously, I've thought that they would be moving Lorenzo inside, and I hope we resign Fox.

I have a feeling that they would bring back K.Fox he was serviceable for us, only way he doesn't come back is if we get 2 ILB's in the draft and instead opt to not sign him to another 1 year deal

You know, I'm starting to think there's a lot more connection between Bell/Ross/others we're trying to sign right now seemingly holding off and the cap penalty than we're considering for the most part.

My thinking is that we went out ......

Just a thought. :)

It's a nice thought, but I think it's more likely that FA's are waiting to see where Manning goes in the hopes that the teams holding his salary in reserve come out and start spending that extra cash after they don't get him.

If I didn't get an offer I thought fair, I'd be waiting on that chip to fall too.

If Denver doesn't get him, maybe they'll start opening up their pockets, as it were.

Amazing how one player can hold the league hostage.

I sure hope that isnt it. We only have one starting ILB at the moment. So we have to either re-sign Fletcher or a simliar quantity. So if we can't afford that AND Bell/Ross, why even talk to the other two?

I'm 99% sure we'll be drafting an ILB, and I'll bet Shanahan has his eye on a number of guys across various rounds. Alexander can play ILB, so if we have him and a draft pick as depth, we really need just one more starter. The situation might not be Bell/Ross Vs. Fletcher, but maybe more like Bell/Ross/Hawthorne vs. Fletcher, where they are weighing the benefits of the two small upgrades Bell and Ross provide with the slight negative Hawthorne would bring.

Or maybe it's not that at all. But we haven't gotten #s on guarantees on a couple of the players and cap hits are fuzzy, as are how much we have to spend on rookies per the CBA, so I have no idea how Fletcher vs. other players fits together.

Basically, Miami is screwed.

And to think that could have been us. I'm trying to be humble and sympathetic because of how many years we've been the team on the outside looking in like Miami is this year.

What everyone is saying about the Browns being clueless at the QB position.....

Very similar to what we had to do last year.

I think the difference is that last season, we went into the draft and free agency knowing that it was a weak class in general, and we thought we could roll with Beck and Rex and get a guy we really wanted in 2011 rather than reaching for a guy we just sort of liked in 2010. For the most part, the Redskins didn't make a big stink or seem particularly panicked about the quarterback position; they knew they would probably cut McNabb. They had a couple guys they reportedly targeted in the draft, but no one worth moving up for. And they had a couple options that they liked and had some belief in they'd be decent. Rex played well down the stretch, they thought highly of Beck when he was coming out. They thought they were sort of good.

There's pretty much been no indication that the Browns have any faith in McCoy and Wallace whatsoever. From the season ended, they've seemed to distance themselves from Colt McCoy more and more and more. Just the fact that Holmgren was on the phone with Browns season ticket holders nearly pleading for forgiveness for not being able to draft RG3 and making it clear that it was somehow the Rams fault for being unprofessional (that's what Holmgren was implying), the fact that pretty much from the very end of the season McCoy was given no assurances and it was immediately stated he'd compete for a job, the fact that they really were willing to give up three number ones, and now the fact that the quarterback market has dried up and they've got two guys on their roster that they don't seem to want...the Browns seem a little bit more desperate than we did.

Mike played it cool. The Browns looked panicked, and then seemingly just gave up once RG3 was off the table. Mike rolled with Rex and Beck because he felt he could get the best out of them; Holmgren and Shumur seem more like they're stuck with McCoy than anything else.

At least that's what I read.

Archived