Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

READ UPDATE IN OP PLEASE! 2012 Redskins Free Agency Updated Tracker: Garcon, Morgan, Meriweather, Cedric Griffin signed; Carriker and Grossman re-up (OP will be updated w/signings, cuts, trades, etc.)

DC9

No one really knows where our cap is.... there have been a couple of rumors about restructures and we're not exactly sure how a lot of our contracts are worded.

That said, there will be plenty of money to sign our draft picks.

Exactly, there's still options available to make cap room. Not all of them would necessarily happen if we tried, but Williams is getting a huge payday that we could try and get restructured to a later year. Gaffney, who might have had his replacement (Morgan) brought in could be cut for another couple million. There are quite a few redundant guys who are signed to small .5M/year contracts that could get cut. And of course depending on how the OT situation goes down, I think Brown frees up around 3M if he's cut (I'm going by Rotoworld's numbers), though personally I'd like to see them both on the roster for injury insurance purposes. It might not add up to enough to sign everybody out there, but we should still have enough for Ross+Bell+draft picks, if we chose to do that; and with some re-works we'd have enough for Fletcher too I think.

For the record I think this guy Brian Barnwell is a doofus who overgeneralizes too much, but here are his thoughts on our signing of Meriweather.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/21019/free-agency-day-3-did-the-bills-overpay-mario-williams

The Redskins continued their march toward their own tails by nabbing Brandon Meriweather with $6 million on a two-year deal. Maybe the NFL took the Redskins' ability to watch game film away, too, because Meriweather's been a disaster over the past two years. As bad as he was in New England, Meriweather's famously poor game against the Lions in October should have sealed his fate as a replacement-level safety. The problem is that Meriweather fancies himself a brilliant freelancer in the vein of Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed, but Meriweather lacks the athleticism of Polamalu and the instincts of Reed, which leads to disastrous decisions and big plays for the opposition. The Redskins will hope that Meriweather can replace the injured and departing LaRon Landry, but history suggests that he'll become the latest symbol of how bad the Redskins are at this whole player-evaluation thing.

And yet there's no mention that the "genius" Bill Belichick and the Chicago Bears had him playing out of position.

He's a strong safety. We're going to ask him to play what he's good at; strong safety. I'll actually be surprised if Meriweather doesn't improve in our defense with Raheem coaching him, because (shocker) he'll be playing the position he went to the Pro Bowl at.

And yet there's no mention that the "genius" Bill Belichick and the Chicago Bears had him playing out of position.

He's a strong safety. We're going to ask him to play what he's good at; strong safety. I'll actually be surprised if Meriweather doesn't improve in our defense with Raheem coaching him, because (shocker) he'll be playing the position he went to the Pro Bowl at.

The issue I have with this signing is that with all of the spread offenses and the lack of hitting permitted over the middle the pure SS is a thing of the past. Teams just don't run the ball as much. I feel you need two safeties who can cover and from everything I'm reading that is not his strong suit.

Archived