Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider - Mike Mayock, Todd McShay believe Ryan Tannehill could go in the first ten picks

HapHaszard

Cam Newton went first overall with less starts, not saying Tannehill is on the same level as Cam, but I don't think it'd be unheard of. Furthermore Tannehill already has experience under center in a pro-style offense which can slightly offset his learning curve.

How many 1st rd QBs have been discussed as converting to WR?

Griffin III by McShay stated early in Griffin career at Baylor that Griffin should be converted to a wr in the NFl.

Dare I ask why his being white has anything to do with anything?

Because people get up in arms when black QB is changed to wide receiver, so I figured it was the opposite that people might not think he could play WR being white (which we know he can). I was just being facetious.

The gist is that Tannehill is on the rise because of need, not his own contributions.

I understand, I'm simply pointing out there isn't enough information to make this assertion conclusively

I haven't seen any report talking about how well he did in interviews or anything about his performance at the combine.

That's because about the only thing that came out of the combine this year was unfortunately reports about two players that didn't even work out, Luck/Griffin, the media hype train this offseason is being taken to a whole other level.

QBs get overdrafted. It's simple supply and demand.

This was the case last year but there's plenty of drafts where this hasn't been the case. IE Bradford/Clausen draft class, countless teams needed QB, Clausen is it one time projected to go in the top 5, McCoy in the 2nd etc. You know how it played out.

Does it mean that Tannehill is garbage? No. It just means that the position he plays and the desire for teams to fill that position will have him go much higher than he was expected to go after the season concluded.

But isn't where he's expected to go, based on media perception and not where actual NFL teams have him ranked? Year and year we see guys drop in the draft and we see guys get "reached" on in the draft, our own Jarvis Jenkins is a perfect example of this. Point being, where the media projects a player to go, isn't necessarily the same projection NFL teams have for said player, and as fans we should understand this and stop putting so much stock into the medias predictions.

Griffin III by McShay stated early in Griffin career at Baylor that Griffin should be converted to a wr in the NFl.

So before RG3 was a first round prospect McShay said he should be converted to WR. That isn't an example of discussion about a 1st RD QB converting to WR, as RG3 at that time was far from a 1st rd prospect and it was his play this past year mainly that propelled his draft status.

If Miami passes on Tannehill then thats all you need to know...

Sherman the offensive coordinator was Tannehill's coach at Texas A&M.

Remember when Pete Carroll passed on Taylor Mays... Sherman would be the best one to know if Tannehill is the real deal or not.

"You can't overpay for a franchise QB" has been said over and over on the RG3 discussions. If Shanny thinks that Tannehill is "the guy," it would seem perfectly reasonable to take him at 6, if not sooner. So ultimately, the value of Tannehill rests solely upon Shannys evaluation of him.

"You can't overpay for a franchise QB" has been said over and over on the RG3 discussions. If Shanny thinks that Tannehill is "the guy," it would seem perfectly reasonable to take him at 6, if not sooner. So ultimately, the value of Tannehill rests solely upon Shannys evaluation of him.

Such a good point, and I guarantee half the guys in here arguing against Tannehill have made the point you made above in regards to RG3.

I've seen some say they'd trade 3+ 1st round picks, others say they'd trade the next two drafts, others say 5 1st rds picks, but one 1st rounder on Tannehill, that's a stretch.

He thrown in a boot after his foot surgery?

I don't know if he was in a boot. I know he didn't workout in QB drills, but he was passing in the WR "gauntlet" drill, at least that's what I believe it's called. Someone posted a video of it on another messageboard because the skins QB coach was standing right behind him while passing.

Tannehill in the 2nd round would be idea to me. First round? I don't know 'bout that. Just goes to show how truly desperate teams are to land that franchise QB. Can't win w/out one and there is no disputing that.

By the way. Kirk Cousins is shooting up the board also. If he has a stellar pro day I expect someone to reach for him also.

I really like Cousins I think he's actually this years C.Ponder, and FYI he throws very well on the run. I wouldn't touch Weeden to old, and IMO just not polished enough as a QB, if he fell to maybe 3rd rd then he may be worth the risk but I hope we don't try to grab him early.

Cousins right now I believe is very underrated, we could trade down and really fill up on talent while still getting our QB, I still say the kid reminds me of Drew Brees.

When expressing the belief that Tannehill would go in the top 15 on Feb 17th, this was my response to people spazing about how much of a reach that would be.

Tannehill would be a reached based on the preconceived notion of value, which itself is primarily based on non-professional scouts', otherwise known as writers, aggreation of public opinion in the form of draft boards and mock drafts.

Because most of us are currently living in the draftnik echo-chamber, the vast majority tends to gravitate towards and accept commonly held beliefs, which are confirmed only in the sense that as a lot of people believe them, then they must be true.

Such a good point, and I guarantee half the guys in here arguing against Tannehill have made the point you made above in regards to RG3.

I've seen some say they'd trade 3+ 1st round picks, others say they'd trade the next two drafts, others say 5 1st rds picks, but one 1st rounder on Tannehill, that's a stretch.

Blatant strawmen aside, maybe because nobody, except the people who think trading draft picks is a sin tantamount to murder, really thinks he's a franchise QB. He's someone people talked themselves into, like Gabbert, except it's a similar set of excuses that have no bearing on prospect quality.

Playing in a pro-style offense, even IF it's essentially the offense we run, means almost nothing. He looks pretty technically sound, but so did Jimmy Clausen. He does have better intangibles though.

The thing is that Tannehill has significant holes in his skillset (deep accuracy, decision-making, performance under pressure) and had a lot of talent to work with compared to Baylor, and almost never saw real pressure (when he did, such as against LSU and Arkansas, he does really badly). And let's face it, while he does have tools, and does things well, when you have that much talent to work with (it's not USC or Oklahoma, but they will be sending about 4 or 5 skill position guys to the NFL in the next 2 years, Baylor will be sending one OL and one WR) and can only muster 19 TDs when you're not playing SMU, Montana and Baylor? That's a red flag in itself.

Of course, if MS disagrees with me and think he is likely to be a franchise passer, then, well, it depends what they think of RGIII and how big the gap between the two is. Depending on the size of that gap, it would still be prudent to move up.

"I like him, and I think he's the next quarterback who goes in the first round after Luck and Griffin,'' said Greg Cosell, an analyst for NFL Films and the NFL Network. "Just look at history. All you need to do is go back one year. Last year (Florida State quarterback) Christian Ponder gets drafted 12th, and (Washington quarterback) Jake Locker went higher (No. 8) than we thought, too. Quarterbacks are always going to go higher.

"Ponder was not a guy with elite quarterback talent. I would say that Tannehill's talent level might be a little higher than Ponder's. But because he shows enough positive attributes in the film I saw, teams will see him as an ascending player in this draft.''

It's a sweet position to be in for Tannehill, the former Aggies star who only played quarterback in the final 20 games of his collegiate career, after being switched to receiver during his freshman season. Tannehill has got to be on the radar screen for teams like No. 6 Washington, No. 8 Miami and No. 12 Seattle, especially if No. 1 Indianapolis and No. 4 Cleveland look destined to be in position to nab Luck and Griffin.

"I think he deserves to be in the top 10,'' said Gil Brandt, the long-time Dallas Cowboys personnel executive and current NFL.com draft analyst. "I'm a believer in the guy. He's really smart, and I think he might be the only college football quarterback in history who has beaten Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas in the same season, which he did in 2010, when he only became the starter at midseason.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/24/ryan.tannehill/index.html#ixzz1ntyKvQX4

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/mike-sherman-compares-tannehill-to-favre-rodgers/

Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman speaks highly of his former pupil.

“Like all good quarterbacks he had great poise. Very confident in any system, west coast or not,” Sherman said via Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Any quarterback has to be confident in his own skin and believe in himself. They always say a great quarterback makes those around him better. I thought [brett] Favre did that. I think Aaron Rodgers does that. I think Tannehill does that as well.”

I don't know if he was in a boot. I know he didn't workout in QB drills, but he was passing in the WR "gauntlet" drill, at least that's what I believe it's called. Someone posted a video of it on another messageboard because the skins QB coach was standing right behind him while passing.

Well I didn't know, but in the press conference link that was posted he says something about being in a boot. Maybe he can take it on and off.

While I'm not one of those "guys" you're talking about I'd say that many are far more assured of Griffin being a franchise QB opposed to Tannehill. That confidence, or lack thereof, is a big reason why people are willing put more eggs in the RGIII basket than Tannehill. I'm not judging Tannehill by his media stock, but based on seeing him play. I don't know if he has it. I don't like small sample sizes. I don't get excited about a guy that doesn't dominate and win at the college level. A lot of things factor into a team winning or not, but some players elevate those around them and make the plays when they are needed... in big games and games you are supposed to win. Maybe he gets better with more time or maybe he's already topped out, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him at six because I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting him as our franchise QB.

Since when was Locker going high a surprise, he was considered #1 overall had he come out the year before.

Yeah his stock dropped from that year. He was sinking I'd say right around this time last year, people were questioning his accuracy. Some said he'd be an early 2nd rounder, more said he'd be a late first rounder, and some outliers said especially the last few weeks before the draft he could sneak into the top 15.

If Shanahan really felt Tannehill was a legit franchise QB worthy of taking at #6, would he bother offering up so much to jump up 4 spots for RG3?...

What Redskins spokesperson has confirmed what the Redskins offered?

Not everything the media says is fact.

SIP-

What's your opinion of Tannehill, even though I'm not sure I can trust your opinion after you preferred Beck to Grossman, JK. But in all seriousness what's your evaluation of Mr. Tannehill

Archived