Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider - Mike Mayock, Todd McShay believe Ryan Tannehill could go in the first ten picks

HapHaszard

I stand corrected. He actually started 20 games at QB. The point is, he isnt worth a top ten pick.

And clearly you're very well informed on the topic you thought he started 11 games... Forgive me if your analysis doesn't hold much weight.

Bill Polian talked up Tannehill some last night on Sirrius radio saying he likes his leadership and skill set -- thinks though he's a clear peg below the top 2 QB prospects who he says are can't miss and the best prospects since Peyton. He thinks there is a drop off after Tannehill.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 07:07 AM ----------

Gil Brandt, Mayock, McShay and some of the other draft geeks think he's a bonafide top 10 pick. Greg Cosell likes him over Ponder and sees him going high. All these guys could be wrong but if last year is a gauge I doubt he gets past the top 15. Personally, I don't care, i don't excited by Tannehill from the games I've watched. But going on the premise that Shanny knows way more than us about QB play and lets say loves the guy, I got no problem with him picking him at #6.

My thing is, it's that very thing---the lack of balls, that is---that makes me think Mike won't like him.

Mike likes his quarterbacks to be aggressive. He doesn't want them to be stupid or whatever, but aggressive. Part of the reason I feel like John Beck didn't win the starting job over Rex (on top of Rex having a better comannd of the offense) was that Beck was a little more timid. A little safer. And when he did take chances, it usually went badly. Mike's nature, I feel, is to smash you to bits in the run game, get you scared about it, and then destroy you deep.

Having a guy who lacks the anticipation to go deep and doesn't have the stones to do it (I understand I'm being crude, but I'm being serious) doesn't work..That's why Beck wound up losing the job; he was timid. He didn't like to take chances, and when he did, it went badly.

I usually trust Mayock's opinion more than anyone, but I don't think he's saying Tanny's going to go in the top 10 picks because he's the best player on the board, but because he, like everyone, assumes that a team is going to be super desperate and draft him early. Even if he does, I don't see Mike taking Tannehill anymore than I saw him taking Gabbert.

Guys like Tannehill get pushed up the board because they have the height, size, big arm thing more so than "this guy is actually the best player on the board".

I would trade up for RG3 at a price that's not crazy. My point is that if Cleveland outguns us, then Shanny drafts Tannehill @6, I will be fine with it. I just find it funny how the pendulum swings so heavy in here. Many of us ignore any negatives (there are some believe it or not) with RG3, while totally ignoring the tremendous upside that Tannehill offers. The biggest real difference is that Tannehill had only 19 college starts, while RG3 had 40. Don't get me wrong, RG3 is still #2 all the way, but Tannehill isn't a second rounder like many say. He never makes it past 12.

But he was a second rounder. If Barkley were in this draft class, Tannehill would be a fringe first rounder at best.

His value was purely as a second round guy.

It's not about ignoring RGIII's negatives while amplifying Tannehill's. It's just about being honest.

Before Jones and Barkley went back to school, the board looked like this.

1.) Luck.

2.) Barkley (or Griffin)

3.) Griffin (or Barkley)

4.) Jones

5.) Tannehill

What makes you so sure of that? You might want to check RG3 stats his sophomore year and compare the stats to Ryan Tannehill's senior year then we might be able to have a civil discussion because the stats are equal if not better for RG3 in most areas outside of Tannehill having six more touchdowns.

originally you said

Griffin III by McShay stated early in Griffin career at Baylor that Griffin should be converted to a wr in the NFl.

Without providing any link or proof to back it. Sorry I didn't interpret "early in Griffins career" to mean the latter portion of his 4 years at Baylor. Furthermore, will you offer a link of this quote? Did McShay say it at the end of his sophmore season? Or did he say it at the beginning? If he said it at the beginning you referencing his statistics is quite irrelevant. If he said it at the end of RG3's sophomore year headed into this season, I'd be quite surprised.

Just trying to have an honest discussion right bud?

You do realize that Baylor was ranked 118th of 120 in pass defense right? They gave up 350+ passing yds 5x and 400+ 3x. NOT a very good indicator of how good a QB is, by torching Baylor. Unless you wanna make a case for Case McCoy being a 1st rounder off his performance against Baylor as well.

I'm an RGiii fan and he definitely looked confused in that game. The same point could be said about Texas A&M's defense (66 over-all) who is pretty below average. I would have expected RGiii to have a better game. Tannehill won the QB match-up that day.

I think the better question is....how closely ranked is Tannehill to the rest of the competition (Foles, Weeden, R. Wilson and Cousins). Quite honestly, if it isn't that much of a "drop off", we are MUCH better off not reaching for Tannenhill in the 1st and just select a QB from the list in parenthesis in or after the 2nd round.

If we cannot/will not trade up for Griffin III, trading down from #6 overall is literally the best thing to do. Take BPA @ WR, OL, or CB then starting looking at the other QBs in rd 2.

If we do not trade up for Griffin III OR down because we couldn't land him; just take BPA at any position to get the value out of 6th overall. Let someone else reach for Tannenhill allowing us our pick from the other names. Check the sig for my vote.

---a&m, baylor vid----

holy crap. is that every pass that griffin attempted? honestly, i have never in my life seen a QB run for his life like he did that game. that was almost painful to watch.

edit- thats gotta be a select group of plays- looks like rg3 attempted 40 passes and i dont think that was 40 attempts in the video.

I think the better question is....how closely ranked is Tannehill to the rest of the competition (Foles, Weeden, R. Wilson and Cousins). Quite honestly, if it isn't that much of a "drop off", we are MUCH better off not reaching for Tannenhill in the 1st and just select a QB from the list in parenthesis in or after the 2nd round.

If we cannot/will not trade up for Griffin III, trading down from #6 overall is literally the best thing to do. Take BPA @ WR, OL, or CB then starting looking at the other QBs in rd 2.

If we do not trade up for Griffin III OR down because we couldn't land him; just take BPA at any position to get the value out of 6th overall. Let someone else reach for Tannenhill allowing us our pick from the other names. Check the sig for my vote.

This is a very good point and I agree wholeheartedly. In the RGIII thread, it looks as though we'd have to give up a king's ransom to move up, so I wouldn't mind seeing what the contingency plans are should that trade not occur and, accordingly, whether it makes more sense for us to take another skill player at #6 and wait for one of the second tier QBs in the 2nd round (provided the dropoff after Tannehill isn't too steep).

If you don't get RGIII, what's the point? You're doing what the Browns have been doing - sinking development resources into a 3rd tier QB because you couldn't get a 1st tier one. And most likely, you will use said 3rd tier QB to justify not making the push for a 1st tier QB until at least 2015, unless he gets significant playing time and flat out stinks Jimmy Clausen style.

I've read some articles comparing Tannehill to Locker, saying that he's a more accurate version of Jake. Last season I was one of the most steadfast detractors of Locker. Saw him all too often and he was a great athlete playing the QB position. I have to say I was impressed by his limited work in the NFL last season, still inaccurate, but the physical tools and, more importantly, the moxie to move the ball down the field.

I think that's a big difference where I'd prefer Locker to Tannehill. Tannehill might have played WR but if Locker didn't cut it at QB he'd be a great safety. Jake has a charismatic aggression that he approaches the game with. Some times he tries to hard and messes things up, but it's endearing in a way. Anyways, that's just part of the IT factor that I don't see in Tannehill. Maybe if he had more starts in college it would come out as he grew more comfortable at the QB position -- or maybe he just doesn't have it.

Yes, Tannehill wouldn't be a top 12 pick were he not a QB, but he IS a QB so the point is moot. If RG3 weren't a QB, would we be content with giving away so many blue chip picks to move up four spots? No way.

And as far as comparing Tannehill to the rest of the pack, he's got far and away the biggest upside. Weeden would be next in line, but he's an almost finished product. Tannehill has much room to improve.

holy crap. is that every pass that griffin attempted? honestly, i have never in my life seen a QB run for his life like he did that game. that was almost painful to watch.

edit- thats gotta be a select group of plays- looks like rg3 attempted 40 passes and i dont think that was 40 attempts in the video.

If you go on draftbreakdown.com and search either prospects name there respective scouting reports both have there cut ups from this game.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 01:41 PM ----------

And as far as comparing Tannehill to the rest of the pack, he's got far and away the biggest upside. Weeden would be next in line, but he's an almost finished product. Tannehill has much room to improve.

That's the scary thing about him, if he's this good after 20 starts in college, how good could he be working along side MS one of the more QB friendly head coaches in the league.

Tannehill's got all the physical tools, if he could just cut down those "Jason Campbellesque" forced passes (just a little bit of sarcasm) than he could be an upper echelon QB.

This is what we call grade inflation :)

Last year Locker and Ponder went ahead of where they were slated to go originally and the jury is out on them.

What is the upside of Tannehill?

Is he a Phil Simms type quarterback in a best case scenario or are we looking at a guy who could end up as Kevin Kolb type bust?

Personally he reminds me way too much of Jason Campbell for me to endorse spending the #6 overall pick on him. However, I trust Mike Shannahan. If he thinks Tannehill is his guy, I'll be pulling for him to prove me wrong.

I've heard this a few times now, and I'm quite curious as to why. They have a similar stature and athleticism, but I bet Tannehill is slightly faster, what is similar about there style of play though?

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 02:24 PM ----------

Tannehill sure went from a mid second round pick to a top 15 pick in a hurry :laugh:

And during that time all he did was break his foot so he couldn't work out for the teams at the combine.

Now figure that one out?

It's quite simple, the media is in a constant guessing game of where prospects stand, and they never truly know. Earlier they guessed he was a 2nd rd talent, now after probably having a lot more exposure to FO/scouting departments at the combine, they believe him to be higher, either way it's speculation. Tannehill's true value in this draft will be represented in April at the position where's he's drafted.

I think somebody's gonna wind up disappointed if they take Tannehill. I'm not buying into the hype. He's only moving up the board because Barkley and Jones went back to school.

Definitely true about Barkley. But Jones was slipping, I agree with his decision to go back to college to repair his draft stock.

I also don't really like Tannehill as a prospect, his throwing motion and release are too inconsistent. He's too raw in that area. He's definitely not a QB I'd want to start as a rookie, he'd have to sit for awhile. Because of that, I don't think he's 1st round worthy.

no, his true value will be judged when he puts on a uniform in the NFL.

I think the Vikings were not too smart in reaching for Christian Ponder and it will be borne out over time.

The biggest risk in the draft is second-guessing 6 months of work by your scouts and changing your grade based on draft fever.

The biggest risk in the draft is second-guessing 6 months of work by your scouts and changing your grade based on draft fever.

I can't see our FO buying into "draft fever" they've shown to be quite competent in their evaluations and I have full faith they'll make the correct decisions this offseason.

I agree with your overall point though, what's on tape is much more important than "the hype" or how players look at their pro days/combine.

I broke down each of Tannehill's TD passes. I'm supposed to be impressed? Honestly guys. He's throwing pitch and catch from a clean pocket to WRs that get 5 yards open and break tackles and then run into the end zone.

Tannehill's first TD to Swope was okay but he was WIDE open. There wasn't a defender within 15 yards of him. All he had to do was not throw it out of bounds.

2nd TD was a shovel pass, all Michael. Might as well have been a run play.

TD 3 was a good pass but imo an NFL-caliber CB makes that tackle short of the goal. Still, I'll give to him.

4th TD was nice, got to give it to him there. Great throw off the back foot.

5th TD was a completely blown tackle that the WR took all the way.

6th TD was actually pretty badly thrown, he had to spin 180 around and make the catch.

So honestly, only one or two of those TDs were ones where you can say "wow Ryan Tannehill made a great throw" as opposed to "Wow, Baylor's defense sucks".

I think RGIII outplayed him straight up. Especially given the huge talent gap between their teams, with RGIII getting killed at the top of his drops. RGIII's first TD throw where the CB is draped all over the WR and he drops a perfect pass in his lap was better than any throw Tannehill made.

originally you said

Without providing any link or proof to back it. Sorry I didn't interpret "early in Griffins career" to mean the latter portion of his 4 years at Baylor. Furthermore, will you offer a link of this quote? Did McShay say it at the end of his sophmore season? Or did he say it at the beginning? If he said it at the beginning you referencing his statistics is quite irrelevant. If he said it at the end of RG3's sophomore year headed into this season, I'd be quite surprised.

Just trying to have an honest discussion right bud?

I was actually giving you a homework assignment because I cannot make everything easy for you. Obviously I looked up the information because I stated Tannehill had six more touchdowns. Mind you RGIII was redshirted his sophomore year and went into the NFL draft after his junior year so the body of work is three years and a quarter being he played 25% of his games before tearing his ACL his sophomore year. Your quote was that RGIII only had one good year to be seen as a 1st round qb, the facts conclude you were wrong compared to RGIII sophomore stats are equal to or even better than Tannehill's senior year. So last time I checked the sophomore year comes before the junior year so that makes that early in his career. By the way McShay was referencing his Sophomore year.

I was actually giving you a homework assignment because I cannot make everything easy for you.

That's all fine and dandy, but here on ES when you make a claim as you have done so by claiming that McShay said RG3 should convert to WR, the earnest is on you to supply the quote.

Obviously I looked up the information because I stated Tannehill had six more touchdowns. Mind you RGIII was redshirted his sophomore year and went into the NFL draft after his junior year so the body of work is three years and a quarter being he played 25% of his games before tearing his ACL his sophomore year. Your quote was that RGIII only had one good year to be seen as a 1st round qb, the facts conclude you were wrong compared to RGIII sophomore stats are equal to or even better than Tannehill's senior year. So last time I checked the sophomore year comes before the junior year so that makes that early in his career. By the way McShay was referencing his Sophomore year.

The stats are meaningless, and if you know so much about this quote you should be able to pull it up.

Until you do your claim that RG3 was discussed as being converted to WR is meaningless, as there's no proof to it.

That's all fine and dandy, but here on ES when you make a claim as you have done so by claiming that McShay said RG3 should convert to WR, the earnest is on you to supply the quote.

The stats are meaningless, and if you know so much about this quote you should be able to pull it up.

Until you do your claim that RG3 was discussed as being converted to WR is meaningless, as there's no proof to it.

Here is one link:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4677044/robert-griffin-iii-defends-draft-stock

Archived