Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Insider - Mike Mayock, Todd McShay believe Ryan Tannehill could go in the first ten picks

HapHaszard

He broke his fifth metatarsal, it's a tiny little bone on the outside bottom of your foot. I've done it once on each foot and it's no big deal, I was moving furniture a few weeks later. That injury has much less to do with how he will play in the NFL than RG3's ACL during his sophmore year.

I really, really like RG3 (in spite of my opposition to trade the farm) but I find it odd that few people mention this injury.

I really, really like RG3 (in spite of my opposition to trade the farm) but I find it odd that few people mention this injury.
The fanbase is currently whipped into an RG3 frenzy, so it doesn't surprise me that all reason is thrown out the window...that's how we roll, time and time again. Leadership sets the tone for everything, and as much as we might hate to admit it, we all have some Dan Snyder in us.

The fanbase is currently whipped into an RG3 frenzy, so it doesn't surprise me that all reason is thrown out the window...that's how we roll, time and time again. Leadership sets the tone for everything, and as much as we might hate to admit it, we all have some Dan Snyder in us.

would you prefer tannehill @6 rather than trade up for RG3?

I got rid of my Dan Snyder when I was baptized.

Here's the thing about Tannehill; he's sort of like Jason Campbell.

I like Tannehill. If we picked him up in the second round, I'd be totally fine with that. But number 6? Noooooo, no no no. Not ever. Not a chance.

I wouldn't even take him in the teens. It's really hard for me to believe that teams are so desperate for quarterbacks that they'll draft a guy who was thought of as a second round talent in the first round. Because he'll be there in the second round. Once he makes it past us, Miami and Seattle (maybe Kansas City)...who the hell else is going to take him? ...Maybe Denver? Maybe?

There's so much talent in those first 15 picks, even those teams that are desperate for quarterbacks will pass. Miami supposedly is after Peyton Manning. The Seahawks could keep rolling with T-Jack. It's easy to say "Tannehill could go in the first round" before free agency and before all the cards fall. But really? Tannehill's a second tier talent with limited tape and a bunch of question marks. And all the sudden teams are going to be SO DESPERATE for quarterbacks they're going to ignore all that and draft him in the first ten picks?

And I like Tannehill as a prospect. But to say Tannehill could do in the first half of the first round just because Ponder and Locker did is kind of a misnomer. Ponder and Locker were BOTH better prospects than Tannehill by a good margin, and we'd probably be looking at a situation where Tannehill would go after Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder and Dalton, even if all the same exact circumstances for Tannehill were in place.

Tannehill is a good prospect that does everything well, but will need heavy development on the next level to become an above average quarterback. Tannehill, like Campbell, like Henne, is a guy who does everything relatively well. Good footwork, good athlete, big arm.

But all three of those guys lack something that other prospects have...for lack of a better way of putting it, it's balls.

They're safe guys. They don't like throwing into tight windows or coverage. They lack the anticipation to throw the deep ball unless a guy pops wide open over the top. One minute they look like world beaters, the next the look like the worst quarterbacks in the league. Most of the time the just sort of meander somewhere between the two. They all played in fairly conservative, West Coast-ish style Offenses with good running games in college. They all LOOK the part; big, tall, physically impressive, athletic guys who are mechanically sound, but they're second round guys for a reason. And while they can be okay in the NFL, they're not typically the kind of guys who will lead you on deep playoff runs.

Tannehill fits that mold. It's not saying he CAN'T be successful, but his value is in the second round. If Miami takes Manning, they could probably get him in the second round. Seattle already has one average second round quarterback, and they desperately need a pass rusher, and Courtney Upshaw or Quinton Coples could be right there or the taking.

Could he go in the first ten, fifteen picks? Sure, he could, if a team is desperate enough. But that's not where the value is, that's not where any honest draft board will have him, and I'll be shocked if he does.

It's more pre-draft hype than anything. If people were being honest with themselves, Weeden would be the third quarterback on the board, regardless of his age.

I like Tannehill. If we picked him up in the second round, I'd be totally fine with that. But number 6? Noooooo, no no no. Not ever. Not a chance.

Tannehill will just be a Campbell situation all over again. He'll look average at best, we'll hang onto him way too long and in the end, we still won't have a franchise QB and be right back into the situation we're in today, 7 years from now when we are enamored with the hybrid QB from Oregon St, Skyler Macks.

Don't you dare say what I said but just in a much better way!

Don't you dare say what I said but just in a much better way!

To clarify, quoting a big chunk of text is a no no.

NLC - so if we don't get RG3, what is your next option? I don't know that Shanny keeps his job if we start Orton with Weeden or Wilson as his backup. Where do you go? Not saying you're wrong at all, just wondering what you think would be the best move.

To clarify, quoting a big chunk of text is a no no.

NLC - so if we don't get RG3, what is your next option? I don't know that Shanny keeps his job if we start Orton with Weeden or Wilson as his backup. Where do you go? Not saying you're wrong at all, just wondering what you think would be the best move.

Mike keeps his job regardless. I mean, they're be all sorts of ****ing from the fans, but whatever.

Like I said; I'd take him in the second round. Sign Orton, see if you can develop Tannehill. Hey, maybe I'm completely wrong. Otherwise, I'd take Weeden in the second or third. Yeah, he's old, but he's still a better quarterback, and he'd probably be more able to come in and start day one from a maturity level than Tannehill would.

Mainly, I just think it's a bad idea to take him at six. Even if Mike really liked him (which I'm pretty sure he wouldn't), I'd be disappointed in that kind of pick. The value is horrible and you raise the expectations on the kid significantly. He needs work and time.

Mike keeps his job regardless.

The value is horrible and you raise the expectations on the kid significantly. He needs work and time.

I agree completely. I just think if we stay at 6 and take BPA, the fan base, including Mr. Snyder, will be pretty upset. With the way so many fans (myself included) are head over heals with RG3, I don't think Shanahan has much of a shot at keeping his job after next season barring a playoff run. This is the year to get the QB. If we don't, I can see Snyder dropping year five and moving on.

On Tannehill though, I see exactly what you see. A guy who plays it safe far too often. Not sure that's a mentality that can be learned, but most college QBs don't throw with anticipation coming out. That's why Luck is so coveted.

So before RG3 was a first round prospect McShay said he should be converted to WR. That isn't an example of discussion about a 1st RD QB converting to WR, as RG3 at that time was far from a 1st rd prospect and it was his play this past year mainly that propelled his draft status.

What makes you so sure of that? You might want to check RG3 stats his sophomore year and compare the stats to Ryan Tannehill's senior year then we might be able to have a civil discussion because the stats are equal if not better for RG3 in most areas outside of Tannehill having six more touchdowns. RG3 was a first round prospect his sophomore year and was over looked due to the pretty boys in college that played at the main stream colleges point blank.

Bill Polian talked up Tannehill some last night on Sirrius radio saying he likes his leadership and skill set -- thinks though he's a clear peg below the top 2 QB prospects who he says are can't miss and the best prospects since Peyton. He thinks there is a drop off after Tannehill.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 07:07 AM ----------

I wouldn't even take him in the teens. It's really hard for me to believe that teams are so desperate for quarterbacks that they'll draft a guy who was thought of as a second round talent in the first round. Because he'll be there in the second round. Once he makes it past us, Miami and Seattle (maybe Kansas City)...who the hell else is going to take him? ...Maybe Denver? Maybe?

Gil Brandt, Mayock, McShay and some of the other draft geeks think he's a bonafide top 10 pick. Greg Cosell likes him over Ponder and sees him going high. All these guys could be wrong but if last year is a gauge I doubt he gets past the top 15. Personally, I don't care, i don't excited by Tannehill from the games I've watched. But going on the premise that Shanny knows way more than us about QB play and lets say loves the guy, I got no problem with him picking him at #6.

would you prefer tannehill @6 rather than trade up for RG3?

I would trade up for RG3 at a price that's not crazy. My point is that if Cleveland outguns us, then Shanny drafts Tannehill @6, I will be fine with it. I just find it funny how the pendulum swings so heavy in here. Many of us ignore any negatives (there are some believe it or not) with RG3, while totally ignoring the tremendous upside that Tannehill offers. The biggest real difference is that Tannehill had only 19 college starts, while RG3 had 40. Don't get me wrong, RG3 is still #2 all the way, but Tannehill isn't a second rounder like many say. He never makes it past 12.

I would trade up for RG3 at a price that's not crazy. My point is that if Cleveland outguns us, then Shanny drafts Tannehill @6, I will be fine with it. I just find it funny how the pendulum swings so heavy in here. Many of us ignore any negatives (there are some believe it or not) with RG3, while totally ignoring the tremendous upside that Tannehill offers. The biggest real difference is that Tannehill had only 19 college starts, while RG3 had 40. Don't get me wrong, RG3 is still #2 all the way, but Tannehill isn't a second rounder like many say. He never makes it past 12.

I would kick my wife out of the house, if it meant I needed to make room for RG3 to stay here, because we were all waiting for the Trade to go through between the Redskins & the Rams.

Well...I would probably kick my wife out, for less than that.:ols:

We also overlook the fact that Tannehill's 19 college starts were in a pro offense, while RG3's 40 were in a spread offense like Tebow ran in college.

Factors that are almost 100% meaningless. Tannehill IS more polished mechanically, which is good, but it's not a factor at all unless you're a disaster mechanically, like Tebow was and is. Griffin has pretty good but not perfect mechanics. Also, Tebow threw in a dink and dunk system pitching it to SEC mega-athletes, RGIII threw NFL-style throws to a mid-late first round guy in Wright and a whole lot of nothing while playing behind one of the worst lines in the nation.

Don't focus on the system, focus on the throws the QB is making. Tannehill throws a whole ****load of bubble screens and short slants, just like Jason Campbell did, and people overlooked this because they played in "pro-style offenses". And while you have cutups of manipulating the pocket, I didn't see very much of that against LSU and Arkansas.

Many of us ignore any negatives (there are some believe it or not) with RG3, while totally ignoring the tremendous upside that Tannehill offers. The biggest real difference is that Tannehill had only 19 college starts, while RG3 had 40. Don't get me wrong, RG3 is still #2 all the way, but Tannehill isn't a second rounder like many say. He never makes it past 12.

That's about my take too Dex. Maybe I did not watch enough of Ryan, but what I did see, I came away impressed. He could be a great fit for this offense IMO. I wish he would have been healthy enough to work out at the combine because I think he would have posted great numbers all around.

Don't focus on the system, focus on the throws the QB is making. Tannehill throws a whole ****load of bubble screens and short slants, just like Jason Campbell did, and people overlooked this because they played in "pro-style offenses". And while you have cutups of manipulating the pocket, I didn't see very much of that against LSU and Arkansas.

Tannehill ran a dink and dunk offense, I agree. At least when I watched him, seems like most of their plays are screens. My issue with Tannehill is the few times their offense let loose, he seems OK from an accuracy stand point but not great, and you sprinkle in the interceptions that come with him even though they run a really conservative offense -- that is what concerns me.

Gil Brandt, Mayock, McShay and some of the other draft geeks think he's a bonafide top 10 pick. Greg Cosell likes him over Ponder and sees him going high. All these guys could be wrong but if last year is a gauge I doubt he gets past the top 15. Personally, I don't care, i don't excited by Tannehill from the games I've watched. But going on the premise that Shanny knows way more than us about QB play and lets say loves the guy, I got no problem with him picking him at #6.

These guys are also trying to hype up activity on their websites, so throwing Tannehill in the top 10 makes the draft less boring. And yes, these guys have been wrong before. I do agree that he doesn't get past the 15th pick.

Yes, he is a 2nd rounder. He would be the 5th QB taken if Barkley and Jones were in this draft. Just because he would be picked in the 1st round, doesn't mean he has 1st round talent. It means someone was desperate for a QB and reached. Mike Mamula was picked in the 1st round, but had 3rd round talent because of his combine.

We also overlook the fact that Tannehill's 19 college starts were in a pro offense, while RG3's 40 were in a spread offense like Tebow ran in college.

Brady, Peyton, and Rodgers all run alot of plays out of the spread. The "Pro Style" offense is going by the birds because of the fierce pass rushers teams are lining up, the popularity of the 3-4 defense and teams using the passing game as part of their running game. Brady is rarely under center as are the other 2.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 08:26 AM ----------

I am sorry but I watched that and thought he was not that great. People keep saying he has potential, but I honestly do not see it. I see him staring down receivers so the defense jumps the route. Throwing the ball high so his receivers are hung out to dry. His touchdown passes, two the guy were open by a mile and threw behind him so he had to stop, another was a shovel pass, and one other Swope broke a tackle (All Swope) for a TD. The only good TD pass I saw was from the 5 to Swope but it was still off. If we picked Tannehill at 6 I would think that pick was wasted and we got no value for it, though I would hope I was wrong.

Not to mention the fact that RG3 gets blasted for throwing out of the spread, yet 8 out of every 10 passes in that highlight (whether it was 1st, 2nd or 3rd down) Tannehill was throwing out of the shotgun spread. Hmmmm.....not so Pro Style is he?

You do realize that Baylor was ranked 118th of 120 in pass defense right? They gave up 350+ passing yds 5x and 400+ 3x. NOT a very good indicator of how good a QB is, by torching Baylor. Unless you wanna make a case for Case McCoy being a 1st rounder off his performance against Baylor as well.

You do realize that Baylor was ranked 118th of 130 in pass defense right? They gave up 350+ passing yds 5x and 400+ 3x. NOT a very good indicator of how good a QB is, by torching Baylor. Unless you wanna make a case for Case McCoy being a 1st rounder off his performance against Baylor as well.

Relax dude. The video is not to prove some grand point, it's just a fun one to watch given the subject matter. This is entertainment after all.

Here's some homework for you: You see the good the bad and just honestly who Tannehill is. He's a good QB with a chance to develop, he's not the #6 pick. Should be noted a consistent theme is shown here that sticks with Tannehill throughout his career at QB, starts well when playing under the script, fades when game goes on and the game is off the script.

Archived