Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Fletcher isn't afraid to leave Redskins

Oldskool

Tulloch, Lofton or Hawthorne. Tulloch or Lofton would be capable players in the middle. We also have Fox who would be adequate. Yes, Tulloch or Lofton would cost more per year but they are younger and would be an upgrade to the position. I'm all for keeping Fletcher but I'm thinking 5 mill are year for 3 years is fair given his age.

I'd hate to say this but am I the only person who thinks we should say no way? Now, don't get me wrong I love Fletcher and he's the leader of the defense. He's also pretty much the face of the franchise due to his ability on the field, leadership, and even his off field contributions to the community. I've even met his wife and she's absolutely lovely. However, he can only play for one more year realistically. That said if you want to give him a bunch of money to play for ONE year then I guess I'm ok with that but if it's anything further I don't see the point. Would it be fair to say that he's looking to retire comfortably? I'm a little torn on this but at the same time I don't think we should give him some multi-year deal just because that's what he wants. I don't think he'll find the market all that suitable for a 40 year old middle linebacker. Yes, he's great. I get it!! He's awesome and he doesn't miss time. He's a great tackler too. I just don't know if it makes financial sense to do it that's all.

Yes, you are the only one. :silly: In all seriousness, Fletcher needs this payday. At 36, his days are numbered. While other LBs are fading away, he continues to be a dominant force in the middle of our D. Keep in mind that he continues to lead the league in tackles regardless of his age. I'm not advocating that we overpay him, but he is certainly deserving of a contract that ensures his tenure with this team. :)

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

Ok you said it 100 times better than me and in far less words.

I'm a huge London fan and hope he stays BUT I have a feeling if we were the Patriots or Steelers (ie: some of the most well run teams in the league) they would thank him for his time and pick up a younger player or two.

I love Fletch but...It's amazing that for as GREAT of a player as LFB has been throughout his career, he's never signed a 2nd contract w/ a team. This may or may not change, I hope he signs a 2-3 YR contract but he's never been too picky with where he has signed.

I'm a huge London fan and hope he stays BUT I have a feeling if we were the Patriots or Steelers (ie: some of the most well run teams in the league) they would thank him for his time and pick up a younger player or two.

Exactly, this is not the Vinny and Snyder way of thinking team. This is inevitable, Fletcher is going to have to be replaced and the philosophy has and will always be with good organizations is to let a player go one year too early than one year too late.

OK, so let's just judge last year, when Riley started.

2 picks and 11 PDs for Fletch.

0 picks and 4 PDs for Riley.

You do know that Riley only started half the season, right? And he will only improve with experience. not taking anything away from Fletcher but the I don't get the stats comparison to Riley. I don't know what stats are available but PD's and INTs aren't the only stats that determine how good someone is in coverage. If that were the case Hall would be a great corner! Riley from what I recall recovered and reacted very quickly to short passes and was good at limiting yards after catch....

yay! stats. he got burned big time in pass coverage!

where did you see this? london always impresses me in coverage. i feel like he is going to get burnt, but he never does. ive seen him several times chasing down a much faster WR and causing an incomplete pass. i think people assume that he is bad in coverage or unable to shed blockers due to his lack of explosive speed and size; yet, i dont see problems with either and he just seems to always be where he needs to be to make a play. it's his greatest talent. there was one time this year that it looked like he got worked over for a TD pass, but as angry as he was at Landry, i assume it was Landry's responsibility, not Fletcher's.

pay the man nicely to a 2 or 3 year contract.

You do know that Riley only started half the season, right? And he will only improve with experience. not taking anything away from Fletcher but the I don't get the stats comparison to Riley. I don't know what stats are available but PD's and INTs aren't the only stats that determine how good someone is in coverage. If that were the case Hall would be a great corner! Riley from what I recall recovered and reacted very quickly to short passes and was good at limiting yards after catch....

According to PFF Fletcher allowed the second lowest QB rating while in coverage of any inside linebackers.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/17/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-inside-linebackers/

If London wants a Ray Lewis-type deal then I'll have to say goodbye and wish him luck.

Some of you people are freakin' insane. Right now, Fletch is better than Ray Lewis. Last season, fletch played in 16 games and had 166 tackles, the most tackles in the NFL for all players. Ray Lewis played in 12 games and had 95 tackles. Sure Fletch doesn't dance around like and idiot before the games, but at this time he isthe better player, and both guys are 36.

If the Redskins want to prove to the players, fans, and league that this isn't the same old redskins, paying scumbags like Haynesworth, and not taking care of their own like Ryan Clark, they pay Fletcher. The Lewis contract is not that big, and it is absolutely appropriate for Fletch to ask for a similar contract. Fletch has been a rock for the Redskins for the last 5 years through all kinds of craziness. The Redskins have plenty of room under the cap. To think Fletch can only do 1 more season as someone in here suggested is just stupid. The guy is a physical freak that is tremendously dedicated to taking care of body, and besides that the Skins don't have anyone on the roster to replace him with. Dude has never missed a game in his career. He's got a good 3 years left in him.

The Redskins would be absolute fools not to make a good deal with Fletch, which is why I'm sure they will.

---------- Post added March-1st-2012 at 04:39 AM ----------

Of course he isn't afraid to leave the Redskins. What player would be?

This isn't a time to play contract politics. The guy is our best player by more than a mile, give him what he wants. He's earned it.

Thank you! Can't believe people are actually arguing against this!

Of course he isn't afraid to leave the Redskins. What player would be?

This isn't a time to play contract politics. The guy is our best player by more than a mile, give him what he wants. He's earned it.

Thank you! Can't believe people are actually arguing against this!

I want to keep Fletch, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. If some other team makes him an offer we can't match, let him go. He's 36 years old and will decline at some point. As a rebuilding team it's much smarter to save our resources for younger players. Besides, in a 3-4 the ILBs really aren't that important relative to, say NT or OLB.

If the Redskins want to prove to the players, fans, and league that this isn't the same old redskins, paying scumbags like Haynesworth, and not taking care of their own like Ryan Clark, they pay Fletcher. The Lewis contract is not that big, and it is absolutely appropriate for Fletch to ask for a similar contract. Fletch has been a rock for the Redskins for the last 5 years through all kinds of craziness. The Redskins have plenty of room under the cap. To think Fletch can only do 1 more season as someone in here suggested is just stupid. The guy is a physical freak that is tremendously dedicated to taking care of body, and besides that the Skins don't have anyone on the roster to replace him with. Dude has never missed a game in his career. He's got a good 3 years left in him.

The Redskins would be absolute fools not to make a good deal with Fletch, which is why I'm sure they will.

Well said. I see so many of these posts on why we shouldn't be giving a contract like Ray Lewis's to Fletcher because of his age. He's playing as well as he ever has and hasn't given any cause for concerns in the areas of injury or slowing down, why not give him that? Give him the key to every room in the building if you have to, he deserves it. He'll have great defensive players around him and look as spry as ever, and be the leader we know him to be.

I saw elsewhere on ES that Shanny is supposedly smitten with Vincent Jackson who wants ~10M/per. I can't properly articulate how furious I would be if we signed VJax for those numbers, a guy who is way more of a headcase and risk to slack off IMO, and don't give Fletcher what he's asking (which comes to around 7-8M/per). Especially if we're going to be giving up multiple picks for RGIII, this is not the time to be creating another hole. With Riley getting the other starting ILB spot, we have no reasonable alternative behind Fletcher yet.

Some of you people are freakin' insane. Right now, Fletch is better than Ray Lewis. Last season, fletch played in 16 games and had 166 tackles, the most tackles in the NFL for all players. Ray Lewis played in 12 games and had 95 tackles. Sure Fletch doesn't dance around like and idiot before the games, but at this time he isthe better player, and both guys are 36.

from the games i saw of each this year, i would agree that fletcher played at a much higher level than lewis last year.

from the games i saw of each this year, i would agree that fletcher played at a much higher level than lewis last year.

You are correct. Fletch is playing as good as ever. Pay the man!

Archived