Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Fletcher isn't afraid to leave Redskins

Oldskool

We need Fletcher...he knows the scheme, and we've gotta keep him. I can understand why some of our players get disgruntled, hell, I am (you should talk to my mom, she's defecting to the Feelers, ugh), but seriously...how many players really wanna be Redskins? If we've got one that wants to stay, KEEP HIM!!!!:2cents:

Do you realize London has not missed a game since he has been here, has played almost every snap and was #1 in the NFL in tackles last season?

Do you realize he is the one that coordinated the team workouts during the Lockout last year?

Do you realize he is leading the NFL in consecutive games for his position.

He is probably one of the top 10 leaders and top 10 physically fit players in the NFL regardless of age.

You don't let this type of player walk. I don't care how you try to justify it.

Yes and what is your point,

If you pay players for their past performances you get in trouble as a team. You have to evaluate what they will be worth and try to compensate them at that rate. See Jon Jansen and Clinton Portis.

If you pay players for their past performances you get in trouble as a team. You have to evaluate what they will be worth and try to compensate them at that rate. See Jon Jansen and Clinton Portis.

Fletch had 1 of his best seasons ever last year, and was playing at a very high level at the end of the season. Do you not think that is relevant in trying to evaluate how he might do next year?

This isn't about past performances. This is about how he's performing right now.

$47 million in cap space... I don't see why we can't give him a deal that's worth slightly more than Ray Lewis', say, 3 years, $24 million, with his salaries in 2012 ($9 million) and 2013 ($8 million) guaranteed.

This is what people don't realize, we have tagged davis and signed a few others. We have already burned about 12 million of that space. Now do you still think we can frontload a 10 million dollar bonus for Fletcher this year to protect the franchise in case he goes one more year? WE DON"T HAVE THE MONEY. You are going to see ridiculous FA contracts that will make most people crap their pants this year.

Now addressing those that think Fletcher isn't asking for a big contract, this deal was supposedly done two weeks ago but he goes and fires his agent. Reality check he has left other teams before because he didn't like what the hometown team was offering, what evidence is there he is willing to sign a team friendly deal now = None.

Save the space and sign a younger version of Fletcher if he doesn't want to do the single year pay as you go type contract that is customary for a player of his age.

---------- Post added March-5th-2012 at 12:20 AM ----------

Fletch had 1 of his best seasons ever last year, and was playing at a very high level at the end of the season. Do you not think that is relevant in trying to evaluate how he might do next year?

This isn't about past performances. This is about how he's performing right now.

+ what you think he will be worth in the future + contracts that protect the team and the player.

Fine, then at 38 and we still owe him 10 million in bonus money and he decides to hang up his cleats, what are you going to do? The team gave him a fair offer and he fired his agent. I would rather spend the same money and get a younger version.

Fletch not only hasn't missed a game since he's been here, he hasn't missed a game period. He has played every game so far. We need someone like that. Let dirty 30 go since he can't stay healthy. Resign Fletch. Pay him and keep some continuity on the team.

We need Fletcher...he knows the scheme, and we've gotta keep him. I can understand why some of our players get disgruntled, hell, I am (you should talk to my mom, she's defecting to the Feelers, ugh), but seriously...how many players really wanna be Redskins? If we've got one that wants to stay, KEEP HIM!!!!:2cents:

Is she really? Geez. My mom is 65 and has been going to their games since she was a little girl (her uncle had season tickets at RFK/Griffith Stad.) and she sticks with them and never complains. Sounds like you mom wasn't a diehard fan in the first place.

It might be mentioned above somewhere, but TWICE Fletcher's agent at the time, Drew Rosenhaus I believe, agreed to a contract and Fletcher refused to sign.

That's TWICE a player's agent, who's job is to get the best deal for his player and presumably gets paid a percentage of that contract, agreed to what he felt was a good deal for his client.

And TWICE Fletcher turned it down and has now switched agents.

If his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, thinks he's been offered fair deal, then chances are he was. It's not like he's an amateur.

This is what people don't realize, we have tagged davis and signed a few others. We have already burned about 12 million of that space. Now do you still think we can frontload a 10 million dollar bonus for Fletcher this year to protect the franchise in case he goes one more year? WE DON"T HAVE THE MONEY. You are going to see ridiculous FA contracts that will make most people crap their pants this year.

How did you reach that $12 million figure?

The franchise tender for TE's is $5,400,000. Who else have we signed that adds up to an extra $7 million? Will Montgomery? Darrion Scott? Lichtensteiger's salary would be $1.2 mil, I believe...I don't think Gano's salary right now would be $1 million.

How did you reach that $12 million figure?

The franchise tender for TE's is $5,400,000. Who else have we signed that adds up to an extra $7 million? Will Montgomery? Darrion Scott? Lichtensteiger's salary would be $1.2 mil, I believe...I don't think Gano's salary right now would be $1 million.

Montgomery was signed for 3 mil per year. Lich's tender was 1.3. I think Gano was probably tendered around 500K. I was thinking we had spent around 10 mil, not the 12 he said.

Let him walk if he wants big money. This is a business and Fletcher is not worth a lot. He was a great guy off the field and solid on the field, but he is over the hill. Yes, his leadership is nice, but where did it get the Skins? If he wants a big pay day, which I hope he gets from someone, let him go. If he wants to play for what the Skins think he is worth, then go ahead and resign him.

The Skins have finally created good cap space. Hopefully they don't waste it on a player who is past his prime. Hopefully Snyder has learned from his past.

Montgomery was signed for 3 mil per year. Lich's tender was 1.3. I think Gano was probably tendered around 500K. I was thinking we had spent around 10 mil, not the 12 he said.

It was an about figure, short on time last night. But the point is we don't have the 47 million anymore as people are stating all through this tread.

Here is the numbers

Montgomery 2012 cap hit 3.5 million (2.75 front loaded bonus money)

Scott - 700k per year

Gano - 540 k

Kory L - 1.2 million in 2012

Davis Franchised - I have seen 5.4 - 5.9 million

workout bonuses due in March - 446k

total cap used to date = 11.786 - 12.286

No. Vilma was an absolute bust in the Jets 3-4 and thats why he was traded to the Saints in the first place.

I don't know why we wouldn't groom Alexander to at least fill in if we lose London. The guy has shown he can play all over the field and on both sides of the ball, so why not see what he can do in the middle? From a personality standpoint, he seems to have what it takes in terms of demeanor and leadership. I'm sure there would be SOME drop-off, but I can't imagine a corps of Kerrigan, Orakpo, Riley, and Alexander would be that much weaker than last year's.

I don't know why we wouldn't groom Alexander to at least fill in if we lose London. The guy has shown he can play all over the field and on both sides of the ball, so why not see what he can do in the middle? From a personality standpoint, he seems to have what it takes in terms of demeanor and leadership. I'm sure there would be SOME drop-off, but I can't imagine a corps of Kerrigan, Orakpo, Riley, and Alexander would be that much weaker than last year's.

I'm a big fan of Lorenzo's and his versatility but he's not a MLB. He's 275lbs on an empty stomach and after a BM. He's 20-30lbs too heavy to play the position and due to this lacks the speed that is needed to cover the middle of the field. He's a great hybrid OLB/DE in this system and that's where his talents are.

I'm a big fan of Lorenzo's and his versatility but he's not a MLB. He's 275lbs on an empty stomach and after a BM. He's 20-30lbs too heavy to play the position and due to this lacks the speed that is needed to cover the middle of the field. He's a great hybrid OLB/DE in this system and that's where his talents are.

Thanks...I get confused in the 3-4 as to which position group needs to be big and which one needs to be fast. I just remember Alexander having to cover as the OLB in 2010 and thought maybe the middle would give him more protection.

Archived