Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Fletcher isn't afraid to leave Redskins

Oldskool

London Fletcher says he “loves” playing for the Washington Redskins.

The Redskins, though, had better give Fletcher some love financially to keep one of the NFL’s most prolific linebackers.

Speaking with me and co-host Bill Polian on Sirius XM NFL Radio, Fletcher said he wants to have a new deal finalized before the March 13 start of the free-agent signing period. Otherwise, Fletcher won’t hesitate to shop his services elsewhere.

“Hopefully, we’ll get something done,” Fletcher said Tuesday night. “But if I make it to March 13 (unsigned), who knows?”

For the rest of the article, see http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Washington-Redskins-will-need-to-pay-to-keep-London-Fletcher-022912

Still plenty of time. We're going to get it done. Don't freak out over something that is going to happen in just a matter of time. He wants to be here, we want him here. He wants that last nice contract and we're trying to spend what we can and still pad the roster via free agency so we can throw picks at the Rams. It'll get done.

I'd hate to say this but am I the only person who thinks we should say no way? Now, don't get me wrong I love Fletcher and he's the leader of the defense. He's also pretty much the face of the franchise due to his ability on the field, leadership, and even his off field contributions to the community. I've even met his wife and she's absolutely lovely. However, he can only play for one more year realistically. That said if you want to give him a bunch of money to play for ONE year then I guess I'm ok with that but if it's anything further I don't see the point. Would it be fair to say that he's looking to retire comfortably? I'm a little torn on this but at the same time I don't think we should give him some multi-year deal just because that's what he wants. I don't think he'll find the market all that suitable for a 40 year old middle linebacker. Yes, he's great. I get it!! He's awesome and he doesn't miss time. He's a great tackler too. I just don't know if it makes financial sense to do it that's all.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

How long of a contract to do give a 36 year old linebacker? I would love to keep London but what is a reasonable number that won't insult what he has brought to the skins? I don't think signing him is a 100% certainty

Ok you said it 100 times better than me and in far less words.

I'd hate to say this but am I the only person who thinks we should say no way? Now, don't get me wrong I love Fletcher and he's the leader of the defense. He's also pretty much the face of the franchise due to his ability on the field, leadership, and even his off field contributions to the community. I've even met his wife and she's absolutely lovely. However, he can only play for one more year realistically. That said if you want to give him a bunch of money to play for ONE year then I guess I'm ok with that but if it's anything further I don't see the point. Would it be fair to say that he's looking to retire comfortably? I'm a little torn on this but at the same time I don't think we should give him some multi-year deal just because that's what he wants. I don't think he'll find the market all that suitable for a 40 year old middle linebacker. Yes, he's great. I get it!! He's awesome and he doesn't miss time. He's a great tackler too. I just don't know if it makes financial sense to do it that's all.

I agree. This is beginning to sound a lot like the sentiment behind re-signing Santana last year and just 1 year later we're talking about moving on from #89. I love what Fletcher brings to the table but isn't it time for an Orakpo or Kerrigan to step up as the leader on defense? There are also decent younger options available in FA like Lofton, Hawthorne, Tulloch, & Jameel McClain. If we re-sign Fletcher we'll not only be spending big $ on him, we'll also be spending a reasonably high draft pick presumably on his heir apparent. Is bringing back a 36 yr old linebacker worth that? I love the guy, but its a tough call and might not be the right one.

100% of me wants him re-signed, wants him to get what he deserves and wants the team to get a good deal out of this also. But I tell you what, I'm not afraid if he leaves. He has to do what he has to do and we have to do what we have to do. I would say the only player I'd be a little upset about leaving would be Cooley, only because he was drafted by us. But again, I want what's best for the team in the long run.

I'm sure he'll be re-signed, though the lack of speed with which he's been re-signed concerns me a little. I wonder if the FO is trying to get a discount on him, which I certainly hope they will not do.

Ultimately, I think Fletcher will be a Redskin through the rest of his career. I only hope we start to see some success before/if he [ever] leaves.

You aren't. I like London, but if he wants someone to 'back the brinks truck up to his house', he can go play for Jerrah for all I care. Holding onto over the hill players has been a problem in the past, and no I think Fletcher still has a couple of years, but enough to warrant a significant commitment? I'm not so sure. I think its time to move on.

Fletcher praised three new additions to Washington’s front seven (rookie outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan and defensive linemen Cullen Jenkins and Stephen Bowen) for helping him reach that tackle total. Fletcher, though, said his individual success was mitigated by Washington’s 5-11 record and fourth consecutive season in the NFC East basement.

Did anyone else notice that Foxsports said Cullen Jenkins plays for the Redskins? :ols:

I particularly liked this part of the article :doh:

Fletcher praised three new additions to Washington’s front seven (rookie outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan and defensive linemen Cullen Jenkins and Stephen Bowen) for helping him reach that tackle total.

word is Fletcher wants Ray Lewis type deal. He apparently had a done deal twice but the numbers couldnt meet. He's looking for retirement money for sure! Ray Lewis is on a 3 year, 22 million dollar contract. Seems a little steep...

Thats with a first year signing bonus of 15.5 million! and a first year bonus of 2.75 million.

1.25 mil bonus option in second year

2012: 4.95 mil

2013: 5.4 mil

2014: 5.85 mil

we dont need a prima donnah trying to shake down the team for money when there are lots of other players who have to be signed.

i love fletch, but no one is above the Skins as a team!

Prima dona and Fletcher do not belong in the same sentence. Fletcher is all TEAM and all HEART. He'll get his large first year guaranteed money and will not be a big hit on our cap. Front loaded contract like I stated above.

Archived