Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: Fletcher isn't afraid to leave Redskins

Oldskool

Yeah I am with you and if reports are London wants a Ray Lewis contract then that is a problem. 22.5 million over 3 years is not going to work here. Ray made the Ravens who they are as a franchise but London even though he is a good player but was not spectacular like Ray and did not bring a Super Bowl to the Skins like Ray and the Ravens defense in the early 2000's

Yup. Our defense is solid, but its not like we've had a dominate defense while Fletch has been here. I'm all for re-signing him, just at a reasonable price. If he was 32-33, then yeah give him a 3yr deal. But at age 36, how many players are still as good at that age?

it's almost insulting that this guy isn't resigned yet

Agreed. This man is a leader.. Age does not define Fletch - his play does. His tank is full - RE SIGN HIM!

It is so refreshing to have a player like him on the team I love - his play does his talking... He brings the play up of those around him RE SIGN HIM!

*but not for Ray Ray money... come on man. I gotta think the Skins will offer him the best deal.

3 years, $24 million. I see nothing wrong with that. We've got loads of cap space, and this is a player who, if anything, was underpaid for what he's brought to this organization over the last several years.

We need to make Fletcher a Redskin for life, well into a post-career to boot. Simply put, he's almost invaluable for this team. And we should be rewarding loyalty, because he could quite easily leave us behind and join up with a contender... I hear the Eagles are in the market for a premier middle linebacker

It looks like the FO is taking the approach of letting guys see what they can get in the open market and try to match it. I think it's fair to see what other teams would pay for London as a starting point. That way both London and the FO know what his real value is.

Doesn't Fletcher have more value to a team like the Eagles, who feel like they're only a couple pieces away on defense from winning a superbowl? With no hole bigger than MLB, no free agent potentially more valuable than Fletcher. Tackling machine -- enormously essential in their Dline scheme, with Fletcher's favorite 4-3 defense -- and leader of leaders in a lockerroom that sorely needs one.

I feel that if we let Fletch hit free agency, he won't be coming back

Yup. Our defense is solid, but its not like we've had a dominate defense while Fletch has been here. I'm all for re-signing him, just at a reasonable price. If he was 32-33, then yeah give him a 3yr deal. But at age 36, how many players are still as good at that age?

I fully agree. Fletch is a good player who has gave it his all while here, but he is just not quite worth top dollar. I love him and would hate for him to leave, but he needs to be realistic too. He is realistically look at 1-2 more years.

This is going to be interesing, since BOTH the organization and Fletch have leverage:

-Fletch has leverage because the pickings are slim on ILB in both the draft and FA, which will naturally drive up the cost retain him.. Plus the skins don't have anyone to take over from a leadership stand point at that position.

-The organization has leverage because, though Fletcher is the heart and soul of the Redskins D, he's also 37 years old. So the thinking would be "who is in dire need for a MLB to fork up a 3yr, $25 mill contract"? If he tests FA, i don't see a team desperate enough to committ that amount of money (Ray Lewis $$) for his services.. Thus he may be coming back with his tail btwn his legs..

We shall see.............

If he tests FA, i don't see a team desperate enough to committ that amount of money (Ray Lewis $$) for his services.. Thus he may be coming back with his tail btwn his legs..

Eagles!

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 03:15 PM ----------

sorry we need to get a replacement if he is asking for a 3 yr deal at his age. I rather have someone who is a better fit in the 3-4 than London. Perry Riley is a beast and can take over.

London lead the league in tackles -- yet he's not a good fit in the 3-4!?!?

Perry Riley is already starting. Outside of Fletcher and Riley, we don't have any other inside linebackers even remotely capable of starting

Eagles!

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 03:15 PM ----------

London lead the league in tackles -- yet he's not a good fit in the 3-4!?!?

Perry Riley is already starting. Outside of Fletcher and Riley, we don't have any other inside linebackers even remotely capable of starting

Hes a great run-stuffing LB but he is horrible in coverage. Riley is the only one that is good at it. With Kerrigan and Orakpo not good at pass coverage, we need another another pass covering LB.

Hes a great run-stuffing LB but he is horrible in coverage. Riley is the only one that is good at it. With Kerrigan and Orakpo not good at pass coverage, we need another another pass covering LB.

Sorry skinfan, but you're wrong about that.

3 interceptions and 19 passes defended over the past two years for Fletcher.

0 interceptions and 4 passes defended over the past two years for Riley.

Fletch will re sign, just a matter of contract language at this point Im sure. One thing our new GM is good at is contracts and I am sure Fletcher like most players thinks he can play forever, he just needs to let the Skins protect themselves if he can't. Fletch seems like a guy who will be invited back when his playing days are over to become a heck of a D coordinator, lets just hope Allen gets a deal done quickly and Fletchers agent doesn't get in the way of what could be a good fit for a post career.

Who represents Fletch anyway? Is he with one of the big time sports agents?

Archived