Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2012 Baltimore Orioles Thread

Hitman21ST

I love Oriole fans that take swipes at Nats fans and their organization (especially the part about opposing fans at the park) and then duck and cover when they respond. Oriole and Baltimore fans are far worse in the annoying department. I mean...they still do the wave in OPACY.

What is funny to me is Nats fans in here (oddly none of the Nats fans i know behave this way) talking down to the O's like they are the Yankees. Both teams are awful and have been for a number of years. I dont know any O's fan who doesnt admit that they have been on a downward spiral since 1998.

The Nats fans in this thread remind me of a less successful version of Eagles fans. They have never won anything of note and like to point to other teams more recent struggles to feel better about themselves. Since moving to town the Nats have (quick count) won 13 more games than the O's in 7 years. So in what is perhaps the worst decade in the history of an 100 year old franchise, the Nats have been 2 games a season better. You like to comment that the O's are on their way to a 100 loss season. As bad as the O's have been, they havnt lost 100 games since 1988; the Nats have done it 2 out of the last 4 years.

The O's have been a disaster for the last decade whereas the Nats/Expos have been a joke most of their existence. In 1998 (Orioles last playoff appearance) the orioles won more playoff games than the Nats have in their entire existence. Since the Nats/Expos only playoff appearance in 1981 the O's have won a 2 division titles, a pennant and a world series. Both the O's and Nats have been pretty awful of late, the only difference is that the O's have success in their history.

O's fans struggle with the last decade because we remember what it was to be good. Nats fans get excited at the prospect of the team coming together because they know the Nats/Expos have never mattered. If you removed the Nats from the history of major league baseball no one would know the difference, their existence has never mattered.

I took a swipe at a Nats fan who came on an Orioles thread and acted like a jerkoff. Read the whole thread and get your facts straight. I'd expect the same thing from you if I pulled that on the Nats thread (but I don't troll on other threads, maybe because I have better things to do with my time?).

I just scanned the thread real quick so maybe I'm missing something, but at what point was I acting like a "jerkoff"? I was serious about Lannan (and it's relevant since there has been Adam Jones to the Nats talks) and then I thought I had a pretty good discussion about biggest O's signings/disappointments. As far as I can tell, you started the jerkoff bull****.

I just scanned the thread real quick so maybe I'm missing something, but at what point was I acting like a "jerkoff"? I was serious about Lannan (and it's relevant since there has been Adam Jones to the Nats talks) and then I thought I had a pretty good discussion about biggest O's signings/disappointments. As far as I can tell, you started the jerkoff bull****.

Not to speak for anyone else, but i dont think people were referring to your questions (at least i wasnt) i think it was Riggo folks were getting frustrated with.

Not to speak for anyone else, but i dont think people were referring to your questions (at least i wasnt) i think it was Riggo folks were getting frustrated with.

And I was having a pretty good conversation with MattFancy -- so maybe you should stop looking at your 30-year-old successes and making pretty pathetic attempts at propping the Orioles up and take a look at captcrunch98 taking the first shot...

Maybe I am a bit touchy with the O's -- given what Angelos did to try and keep a team out of DC -- and then bending spineless Selig over a barrel. I would feel sorry for what has happened to that once great organization, but I don't. I revel in Angelos running that team into the ground. There is not a more deserving asshat than Angelos.

And yes -- it feels damned good to be on the cusp of something special after wading through years of horrid play...and given we got Strasburg and Harper out of it, I am really glad we lost those 100 games...

And I was having a pretty good conversation with MattFancy -- so maybe you should stop looking at your 30-year-old successes and making pretty pathetic attempts at propping the Orioles up and take a look at captcrunch98 taking the first shot...

Maybe I am a bit touchy with the O's -- given what Angelos did to try and keep a team out of DC -- and then bending spineless Selig over a barrel. I would feel sorry for what has happened to that once great organization, but I don't. I revel in Angelos running that team into the ground. There is not a more deserving asshat than Angelos.

And yes -- it feels damned good to be on the cusp of something special after wading through years of horrid play...and given we got Strasburg and Harper out of it, I am really glad we lost those 100 games...

...and I hope they turn out to be as good as they appear they are going to be. I, and many O's fans i know, like to see the Nats do well (so long as it isnt when they play the O's!) and wouldnt mind seeing some sporting sucess back in the region. It is Nats fans who really seem to pay much more to the O's than the O's fans pay to the Nats. Here in Chicago we refer to it as the little bother White Sox. Regardless of the fact that the Sox have been the better team of late their fans are still obsessed with the Cubs, and Cubs fans barely acknoledge the existence of the Sox. I think the Mets/Yankees fans are the same way. I guess time will tell if a similiar relationship comes to be with the O's/Nats... but it is sure looking that way so far.

Also- as much as i curse Angelos' very existence for destroying the O's, i dont really fault him for trying to keep baseball out of DC. While baseball is a passion for us, it is a business for him. If you owned a business wouldnt you do everything you could to keep a competitor from opening shop in what you consider your back yard?

...and I hope they turn out to be as good as they appear they are going to be. I, and many O's fans i know, like to see the Nats do well (so long as it isnt when they play the O's!) and wouldnt mind seeing some sporting sucess back in the region. It is Nats fans who really seem to pay much more to the O's than the O's fans pay to the Nats. Here in Chicago we refer to it as the little bother White Sox. Regardless of the fact that the Sox have been the better team of late their fans are still obsessed with the Cubs, and Cubs fans barely acknoledge the existence of the Sox. I think the Mets/Yankees fans are the same way. I guess time will tell if a similiar relationship comes to be with the O's/Nats... but it is sure looking that way so far.

For the most part -- b/c of Angelos -- there is a pretty solid local rivalry going, even if they only play 6 games a year or so. That's a good thing -- more fans -- more interest. I just look forward to winning more than our fair share of those games :)

Also- as much as i curse Angelos' very existence for destroying the O's, i dont really fault him for trying to keep baseball out of DC. While baseball is a passion for us, it is a business for him. If you owned a business wouldnt you do everything you could to keep a competitor from opening shop in what you consider your back yard?

There was one line that Angelos uttered that really chaffed my chicken with that whole process: "There are no real baseball fans in DC, that's a fiction" 1. If there are no fans, why are you so afraid of losing the market? 2. I take that as a personal insult. There are a lot of very passionate Nats fans -- even when they were losing 100 games a year.

Really -- if it wasn't for that ambulance chaser -- I would look at the O's as I do the Ravens. Not really pay much attention to them until a. they play the the Nats or b. one of their starts taking pot-shots at them (like captcrunch98)

For the most part -- b/c of Angelos -- there is a pretty solid local rivalry going, even if they only play 6 games a year or so. That's a good thing -- more fans -- more interest. I just look forward to winning more than our fair share of those games :)

I honestly don't see much of a rivalry. Besides on here, I know a bunch of people that are O's fans that don't mind the Nats and vice versa. How can there be a rivalry when we play 6 times out of 162 games? There's ZERO history between the 2 teams and they've never played meaningful games against each other. If anything, its fan rivalry, but like I said, I don't even see that except for on here.

I honestly don't see much of a rivalry. Besides on here, I know a bunch of people that are O's fans that don't mind the Nats and vice versa. How can there be a rivalry when we play 6 times out of 162 games? There's ZERO history between the 2 teams and they've never played meaningful games against each other. If anything, its fan rivalry, but like I said, I don't even see that except for on here.

I know a number of Nats fans that loathe the O's b/c of Angelos' antics. I guess it's just a difference of surroundings :)

I know a number of Nats fans that loathe the O's b/c of Angelos' antics. I guess it's just a difference of surroundings :)

Yea, as do I. I know tons of Nats fans who almost seem to enjoy an O's loss more than a Nats win. Which is funny to me since i know very few O's fans who really pay any attention to whether the Nats win/lose. Now, if they start winning 100 games a year i bet you see that change. Im willing to wager that O's fans general acceptance of the the Nats and desire to seem them do well would wane if the Nats became a really excellent franchise... and at that point it would be raw jealousy on our part!

Yea, as do I. I know tons of Nats fans who almost seem to enjoy an O's loss more than a Nats win. Which is funny to me since i know very few O's fans who really pay any attention to whether the Nats win/lose. Now, if they start winning 100 games a year i bet you see that change. Im willing to wager that O's fans general acceptance of the the Nats and desire to seem them do well would wane if the Nats became a really excellent franchise... and at that point it would be raw jealousy on our part!

I would never go that far -- a Nats win is always the best option. :)

I am very excited about the next couple of years with this team. If Purke his healthy...wow...

Alright...now that we all dropped our swords on this i gotta put a stop to your positive Nats future talk in here. Other than the hopes that some young pitchers develop or that position players return to form, i dont have a lot to feel optimistic about the O's this year...so leave your sunshine and rainbows at the door of this thread and lets get back to O's talk.

I agree. I've rooted for the O's my whole life, but I also pull for the Nats as my second favorite team, and I go to a half dozen games each summer in DC. Most of my friends who root for the O's either root for the Nats as well, or at the least don't mind them. And my friends who are Nats fans pretty much feel the same way, with a couple exceptions. I think there's a handful of thin-skinned Nats fans who are pissed at Angelos and can't quite seem to move on with life, and consequently make it their crusade each summer to root against Baltimore and some even drop in on this thread to make themselves feel better about the whole thing. Guys like Riggo#44 don't need a 100-win Nat season, they need a hobby, or a therapist.

Guys like Riggo#44 don't need a 100-win Nat season, they need a hobby, or a therapist.

Um baseball is a hobby. And once again, YOU are the one stirring up trouble. YOU are the one thinned skinned (referencing GALCOB's post about lannan) YOU are the one you can't take it when you get response to shots. I've had good baseball conversations here with everyone but YOU.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 10:54 AM ----------

Alright...now that we all dropped our swords on this i gotta put a stop to your positive Nats future talk in here. Other than the hopes that some young pitchers develop or that position players return to form, i dont have a lot to feel optimistic about the O's this year...so leave your sunshine and rainbows at the door of this thread and lets get back to O's talk.

I did read Matusz was hitting 93 early this spring -- so that's a positive sign. Weiters seems to have found his power stroke and Jones is a good player. The have some talent in the minors in Bundy (who I really wanted) and Machado. There are pieces, you're not totally berefit of talent (like Houston or the Cubs) or in a complete train wreck like the Mets...so there's some consolation...

To Riggo44:

I have to say one thing (actually several things). As a lifelong Redskins, Wizards/Bullets, Capitals, United/Diplomats (yes I am that old) and Terrapins fan, I was born in the DC area and have always been a staunch supporter for all teams DC. I never rooted for the Colts and never rooted for the Ravens. But the 2nd version of the Senators left in 1972 when I was 4 years old. I wasn't watching baseball until around 1977. The Orioles (whether Nats fans like it or not) were the "home team" in the area. They were covered by the DC news, newspapers, radio and TV. I just loved sports. The O's were the team I took as the defacto home team. My mother was a lifelong Senators fan and used to go to Griffith Stadium. She became on O's fan around the same time I did, because she saw my passion for sports.

She even met Eddie Murray when he came to her bank branch to open a new branch and cut the ribbon. He called her up on the phone the next day to let her know he left 4 box seat tickets on the 1st base line for a game against the Royals. I'm VERY loyal to my teams and could never imagine rooting for other teams. While I don't mind the Nats, they take a back seat to my O's. I wish I could have been a Senators fan, then maybe I would have not become an O's fan and waited for baseball to come to DC. But I haven't lived in the area since 1998, so I could never get a feel for the Nats. With that said, you may not believe this, but as a DC native, I bought 3 "Authentic" Ryan Zimmerman jerseys (about $200 each) with the innaguaral season patch on them and I still have them. I also have W red and white baseball hat that I wear on occassion.

What gets to me is not the team, but the Nats fans who continue to hold on to this childish thing with Angelos. Newsflash, O's FANS HATE HIM JUST AS MUCH. I'm sorry that I didn't wait around for 33 years for a team to finally come. As far as the thing he said about no real baseball fans in DC, while he is wrong, it does have some merit. How come DC was passed over for an expansion team for so long and had to take a relocated failing team north of the border? If the passion for baseball was so strong it would have over-ridden any attempt by Angelos to thwart a team coming.

We get it. The Nats right now are better from top to bottom. No O's fan denies this. But to constantly come in to remind us of it won't win you any points in here. We realize we suck. We realize we are terrible. I'm not sure what you want us to say at this point. Maybe you want us to bow down to you, but like I said earlier, win at least a wild-card berth and then you'd be on to something. Until then, the Nats will still be the 4th best team in their division. The Phils usually win the division, the Braves are always in the wild card hunt, the Marlins somehow put together a .500 team despite having the lowest payroll and the Nats are usually 4th because the Mets suck so bad.

I feel like I should copy this and put it on my desktop because I seem to have to say this same exact thing at least 3 or 4 times a year to Nats fans. You guys finally got your team. I'd suggest you and your fans spend a little more time celebrating the fact that you have the team and a little less time being bitter children. It's been 7 years. Let it go already. Just root for your team and leave us out of it. FWIW, I can't wait for Angelos to pass, just like I wanted Abe, because I think both owners were/are living in the past. Like I said, I'm just not sure what you want us to say anymore.

Don't waste your time with him. Riggo#44 is worse than a troll; he's a troll who is too clueless and socially inept to even realize he is trolling.

He comes on an ORIOLES THREAD, and makes statements like "I am going to enjoy the hell out of watching the O's finish terribly again and just love every minute of it" and "Oriole and Baltimore fans are far worse in the annoying department", and then he turns around and pretends that he's just here to have a civil discussion and that any Orioles fan who takes offense to his pompous behavior (again, on an ORIOLES THREAD) is the one who is starting it all.

I think it's a one-sided rivalry much like the Ravens-Redskins rivalry. I think some Nationals fans naturally hate the Orioles for different reasons (jealousy that they've had a team for decades, Angelos, etc.) while very few O's fans have a reason to hate the Nats. With the Skins/Ravens, it's the same thing...though in both cases, the brash fans make it a challenge to continue turning the other cheek.

The Redskins and Orioles have storied histories and are well-established in this area. Those are both things that the Ravens and Nats don't have despite both currently being better.

Peter Angelos is definitely, without a doubt, the only guy in the DC-Baltimore region to try and keep a sports team out of the area for financial reasons.

Oh, hey there Jack Kent Cooke.

bull**** story/accusation spun by Mayor William Donald Schaeffer and the local media to mask the fact that Baltimore lost a premier NFL franchise primarily due to lack of fan support and the citys refusal to improve facilities.

cannot believe that JKC has to be defended on a Washington Redskins messageboard against comparisons to Peter Angelos.

I know I can ignore him, but I felt I had to make my point. I thought my points were civil and true.

100% civil and true.

Personally, I will never post in the nats thread. I'll go over there to read and get some news about the team. But not to post. And would NEVER go in looking for a fight. It's a pointless task. I might as well go over to cowboy zone and post there too.

---------- Post added March-9th-2012 at 09:25 AM ----------

bull**** story/accusation spun by Mayor William Donald Schaeffer and the local media to mask the fact that Baltimore lost a premier NFL franchise primarily due to lack of fan support and the citys refusal to improve facilities.

cannot believe that JKC has to be defended on a Washington Redskins messageboard against comparisons to Peter Angelos.

Irsay didn't move the team due to lack of fan support. He moved the team because the state was planning to claim eminent domain on the baltimore colts. He had been shopping the team around to a number of cities prior to that, but that move really forced his hand. Baltimore City also had nothing to do with improving facilities. That was a state issue, and the state offered to pony up money...but not as much as Irsay wanted. You try to spin it as if the move of the Colts was the fault of the fans and the city.

I don't doubt for a second JCK didn't want a franchise in Baltimore. Why else would he look to put a stadium in freaking AA county.

To Riggo44: Like I said, I'm just not sure what you want us to say anymore.

I get your point -- and like I said -- I am probably a bit touchy when an O's fan takes a shot at the Nats, for issues the O's are a far worse reputation for. Then starts throwing around personal insults -- which is always a winner. I am usually pretty civil on here, or at least I try to be. For some reason, he just pushed a button. Anyway, long and short, sorry if I hi-jacked the thread. I'll apologize to everyone offended, except one.

I'll let you have your thread back. :)

You try to spin it as if the move of the Colts was the fault of the fans and the city. .

empty stands at Memorial Stadium during the late '70's and early '80's disagree.....and once the Ravens have a couple of losing seasons- M&T will be as empty as OPACY.

Last thing I'll say here: the big difference between Angelos and JKC: The Redskins never pitched such a fit that Tagliabue bent over and let JKC rape the Ravens of their TV rights...

Last thing I'll say here: the big difference between Angelos and JKC: The Redskins never pitched such a fit that Tagliabue bent over and let JKC rape the Ravens of their TV rights...

Well that's also because Tagliabue and Rozelle has spines. If Nats fans hold that against Angelos (and the Orioles by association) then they need to channel some of that anger toward Selig. When you go into a negotiation, you normally ask for what you know you wont get and then work toward something in the middle. Selig did not have the sack to say no.

Archived